I tried VR for the first time at a htc vive demo booth at frys and holy shit was it shit...

I tried VR for the first time at a htc vive demo booth at frys and holy shit was it shit. I played this shitty shooting gallery game and then did some job simulator shit where I picked stuff up and threw it around and pushed buttons. That was all shit but the worst part was the fact that it was like I was staring at a grid of pixels and the resolution was shit. People actually pay money for this shit?

Attached: Capture.png (870x565, 934K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5BSeXv3KRaw
youtube.com/watch?v=OfXxSlr5eGo
youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0vNKzRMZY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Great blog, faggot.

the samsung oddesy Mixed reality headset is far better in quality. (and is basically vr) the resolution is 10x better. built in headphones/microphone. and revive lets you play all the rift and htc games.

Vive Pro uses the same panels, although it's overpriced as shit.

this is kind of what it looked like, like an ill fitting shader over top a regular looking game. Ignore the fact that it's a n64 game obviously. You can see there's like a grid overlay

Attached: Super Mario 64 (USA)-180330-211017.png (1440x1080, 2.57M)

the build quality is best out of all the mixed reality headsets (i tried them all out in the ms store..)

also the quality of the padding is also far better. the samshit uses the OLED screen and is higher resolution than the others. and htc is shit in picture quality in comparison.

i picked mine up on sale at a microcenter. cheaper than norm.

yea the pixel density is shit in the htc vive.

how the fuck do people use it then?

Hmm, I had settled on a Rift, but now you have me second guessing again...I'm mainly getting it for Elite, so my only concern with the Odyssey is that it's heavier than the rift. I need something comfortable for longer sessions.

because they probably wear glasses and can't use the oculus rift (the rift also has a pixel density problem but not htc vive bad).

and again one reason i think the samshit oddesy is better.

note: i looked at all the visors that the ms store uses at demos in schools ect.. all were about 5 months old. the samshit one's padding was still in great shape. the fucking others were falling appart / off.

what about psvr? Probably the only vr game I'm remotely interested in is wipeouthd

hit up a few videos on youtube about vr headsets.. even the psvr is an opition if you are going to spend the extra cash on additional hardware for positional tracking. the quality of hte picture on the psvr is actually good and there is i think a $10 piece of software to make it work on windows.

psvr setup:
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSeXv3KRaw

look into nolan another $200 to spend for positional tracking and hand controllers

mixed reality heaset setup with acess to oculus rift and htc vive:
youtube.com/watch?v=OfXxSlr5eGo

do you need windows 10?

yes

shit

you're not gonna get much in the way of support from any of the vr sets w/o win10.

also HTC vive has THE WORST GODDAMN SUPPORT IN EXISTENCE. it's atrocious.

well I guess it's psvr for me then.

rip vr

forgot link:
youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0vNKzRMZY

he likes the htc vive but he does not try the samsung one (wich is the best one and imho better than htc)

also one more thing. htc vive and rift you have to USB recharge them.

the ms vr stuff uses AA batteires so you can have 4 rechargables in and 4 in a recharger and hotswap them mid game.

psvr you're still spending $400 .. 200 for the psvr and 200 for the nolan

then you need revive ..

and then you need Trinius psvr software (not sure if it's available for NON win 10. also i am not sure about non win10 support for nolan controlers

isn't it strange how people will bitch and moan about a game not being in 4k but then be amazed playing some shitty ass VR game where you can literally discern the individual pixels?

Same. Although the rollercoaster demo did get me clinging onto the table at times. I think you can overcome the shit display after a while but to be honest I'd rather not have to. Wating for gen3 or 4 (gen 2 will be more of the same) with 8K Micro LED.

>htc vive and rift you have to USB recharge them
Huh? Are you talking about the controllers? The Rift controllers take regular AAs, and the headset and sensors are all wired. Can't comment on the Vive though, might be different.

Well you're also playing shovelware games.

well when vrchat is considered a killer app there's not much to choose from

I had the headset in the image back in the 90's, back then it was awesome, my flatmate used ti build radio controlled jets, he put a webcam in the jet cockpit and used the vr headset for the viewer ...the tech isnt here yet for the games of today but back then cutting edge games where perfect for VR

Attached: vrheadset.png (620x343, 285K)

>the worst part was the fact that it was like I was staring at a grid of pixels and the resolution was shit

this is what VR will be for the next few years until we get like 16K resolution and GPUs that can drive it

"shit" counter: 6

7 including the use of "shitty"

>i put a screen with a magnifying lens in front of it really close to my face and i could see all of the pixels what the fuck

Attached: 1516130360478.jpg (392x379, 119K)

i thought the rift controllers were recharge type like the vive.. oops wrong on that one . sry.

yes i meant the controllers.

how many usb ports eaten by rift?

ms mixed reality eats 1 usb3 but you need bluetooth for the handsets (so possible 2nd for desktop pc with a blue tooth 3.0 adapter)

Only good for educational usage and maybe museums and in general professional application.

No good games will be made for this.
It's not only that the hardware is lacking but it is horrendous to program for VR.

fortnite or pubg in vr, omfg that would be awesome. Going around with sniper rifle, building bases, but the tech just isn't there yet for such things.

Of course it will get better, you can't judge how we are now and assume that is how it will always be.

The tech will get better, and so will the games.

>go to friend's house
>he just got a vive pro
>lets me try it
>put on headset, instant nausea, immediately vomit all over the room
>rip the headset off and throw it against the wall
>I'm completely blind
>blood pouring out of my eyes
>lose all control over my waste faculties
>fall to the ground in a puddle of my own piss and shit
>pass out for 3 days

VR is a meme

In 5 year's time vr will probably be worth buying.

My brother tried one of the VR systems on display at CES and the next day he got diagnosed with macular degeneration. This shit needs to be banned.

CLEARLY THIS

WITH A VIEWING DISTANCE LITERALLY RIGHT UP ON YOUR EYEBALL THERE IS NO RESOLUTION IN EXISTENCE YET THAT WON'T BE SHIT

>what are lenses

Hardly. Even at Samsung Odyssey/Vive Pro resolution, you don't notice the pixel grid unless you're actively looking for it. It's far from an immersion breaking limitation. Shitty controllers, performance, and awkward movement mechanics are the real issues.

>Fresnel lenses

Attached: 1266126008249.jpg (305x196, 68K)

how will lenses increase the resolution of the screen?

the main issue i find is that nothing has tracking as high-quality as vive

while the mixed reality handsets have limited tracking (but damn it's a big area) the vive/rift suffer from having to recalibrate often thus wasting time. (like 30 minutes)

That's why we need 4k for each eye, even if we're not going to use native resolution.

Jow Forums you're so worthless. Kill yourself OP

>how many usb ports eaten by rift?
One for the headset, one per sensor. So 3 or 4 total, depending on how many sensors you have.

yieks .. eat up al lthose usb3 .. so in total .. desktop w/o blue tooth takes 2 on mixed vr headset .. others take 4 ugh

just use a hub