Jow Forums

Jow Forums,
I'm an idiot and through a series of bad decisions ended up with one of these.
>4 x Xeon E7-4870 10-cores @ 2.4 ghz
>128 gb ECC RAM
>4 x 1200w PSU's
This thing is so loud and I can't continually run 4800 watts. So I ended up removed two of the Xeons and three of the PSU's and am just using it as a home PC because I'm a retard who doesn't need a server. What the fuck do I do with this thing? It sounds like a jet engine and I cant even use this thing at night without posting everyone in the house off.

Any way I can dial down the fans somehow? It won't POST if I remove any of the fans and they're proprietary so I can't just replace them with lower rpm fans. Any ideas?

Attached: 61XbBMsKu9L._SX425_.jpg (425x262, 21K)

Why did you buy this?

I traded for it. I was selling a slightly older i7 desktop and some guy wanted to trade this for it and I figured, why not? Dumb decision.

I'd suggest putting it up for auction. Don't fuck with the cooling on these things.

Put it on craigslist. Or ebay.

A 580 G7 isn't a terrible machine. Pic makes me miss my 980 G7's though...

Put it on water. Why is using 4x1200W?

Reduce the fan voltage to lower rpm?

try putting epoxy on the fans to seal them off

same thing happened to me no lie. Like same box and everything. Its sitting in a storage unit rn

Too much of a brainlet to know how to do this on a hardware level. I doubt that's something that I can control in BIOS also.
Wouldn't this give a fan error? I was thinking I wish I could somehow trick the connections into thinking the fans are connected and spinning properly.
Glad to know I'm not alone in my mistake at least.

>I'm an idiot
>4 x 1200w PSU's
you're right

Attached: 640x480.png (990x682, 580K)

It would not draw anything near 4800W.

I would say this thing idles at around 300-350W.

The real reason he's an idiot is for thinking four 1200W PSUs mean it'll draw 4800W

You can't do anything about fans. As soon as you disconnect one remaining ones will ramp up to compensate.

However those last forever. Have 2U 2xXeon dell for past 10 years in small room that gets super hot over the summer, fans are screaming, you can't stand near it how high the noise is but not a single fan failed or me or any other component.

Just put it in basement and forget about it. Check draw with killawatt, mine pulls 170W on average.

It would still require 4 power cables to be connected and I don't want to connect 4 power cables to my one shoddy outlet with wiring from the 70's.

Attached: dl580_g7_8bay_3_1_2.jpg (600x400, 50K)

Stick it somewhere you can't hear it and actually make a home server.

Then buy a laptop so you can have a 'thin client' setup.

Make a four to one cable

It propably isn't, just OP is retarded thinking that if a PC has 1200W lower supply then it drains from the socket 1200W ALWAYS. I had to explain this to a friend lately, he was thinking the same

>it'll draw 4800W
that's not how power supplies work

Attached: gruglet.jpg (211x239, 6K)

What sort of latency would I get with a thin client setup? I can move the thing to the garage and then run a long ethernet, but I would like to use this thing occasionally for uses such as basic gaming and general use.

Attached: graph_theory-300x292.jpg (300x292, 27K)

I sometimes have to use my PC over RDP on a GbE network and the difference is noticeable, especially in CAD when any dragging becomes laggy. As for gaming, I'm not sure you can do it with RDP, and specialized game streaming software like Nvidia GameStream is proprietary and won't work with a pair of random PCs.

Why the fuck did you get a loud, power-hungry 40-core computer when all you gonna do is "basic gaming and general use"? Hell, I bet after removing 3 of 4 xeons it's now slower for these things than your old i7.

Attached: Capture.png (490x171, 197K)

Install a few GPUs in it and put it in your basement. Rent out GPU time to students. You can easily make like $2K a month with it.

That would require setting up VMs and time-sharing software, and given what OP has told us, he's not particularly bright. Also, even a couple high end GPU will be more expensive than this entire server.

Citrix is supposed to be very fast, don't know if it's crackable tho.

Use RDP daily for work, it's perfectly usable but you can immediately tell like in web browser shit is not running locally.

>I can't continually run 4800 watts.
A 1200w PSU doesn't continually draw 1200w, it can deliver up to 1200w.
Since PSUs in servers are usually redundant it would draw 2400w at most.

yea but its a server. Expensive shit you can probably trade for at least a thousand if not several. Try make a deal on craiglist like some user suggested.