A Dell Precision on eBay has:

A Dell Precision on eBay has:
>64GB DDR2 ECC RAM
>2x Xeon 5450s
>1TB HDD
>shitty 128MB video card
and is $450. there has to be a catch to this. everything looks legit and is sold by a seller ive bought from before. whats the drawback to this?

Attached: Screenshot_20180331-015555.png (1080x1920, 670K)

they never said any of the parts weren't physically deformed

yes they did, and they have a 14 day warranty for doa

Every last one of those parts is worthless
This is FX-tier CPU performance

Probably loud as fuck.

Probably refurbished.

This. Xeons running on DDR2 feel like Pentium 4s. This thing is only useful if you need a space heater that filters dust from the air. It probably sounds like a vacuum, and a current-gen laptop would probably shit on it in benchmarks.
Take it from someone with similar spec gear in my rack right now: even if it was completely free I wouldn't take it.

No, it's not FX tier performance. It's WAY BELOW FX tier performance.
This is 2010 level performance.
FX was 2014 level performance.

The catch is that 5450s are fucking garbage. Expect cinebench scores of

Attached: ryzen3800ghz.png (322x189, 10K)

It's not actually cheap. If you get the parts from ebay individually, it's like half the price.

Sure, but that the case with almost everything aside from builds with consumer grade motherboards.

thats pretty fucking over priced, thats ancient hardware. Remeber, more cores and high clock speed are not everything. 3.6ghz Xeon from a decade ago is like todays celerons at best. Dont fall for the deprecated workstation meme, i did and regretted it. Buy at most a 2 year old system.

>Xeon 5450

So that's basically a dual socket Core 2 Quad Q9650.

>whats the drawback to this?
It's decade-old tech, and Xeon 5000s are not only pre-Sandy Bridge, they're pre-Nehalem, so you basically have 4, 2-core dies sharing memory controller buses.

The oldest you really want to go back is E3-1000 (v1) series, unless you're trying to do museum technology preservation stuff.

Yes. Its ancient tech from at least 10 years ago. Should be selling for $50.

a lab in my school has one
run worse than my i5 2400 + 8GB DDR3 PC

Eary Bulldozer was worst than Athlon tho

OP, go for at LEAST DDR3 system, you will save yourself so much time. and PLEASE get an SSD, I have to pick one up Asap TO SPEED STUFF UP. user if your looking into this, once again, DDR3 and nothing older.

Attached: 4chanserver.png (1135x714, 441K)

No catch. FB-DIMM modules are dirt cheap and ebay is flooded with them because no one wants them.

I've had cause to search for the odd obscure component of an obsolete Dell box - stuff like a special bracket to take a second CPU - and the prices they list stuff at are insane, to the point where I just don't bother. Are there really that many people forced to support obsolete hardware and therefore to buy these parts? I find it hard to believe. Cannot understand how they make any money.

a brief guide to older Intel chip architectures:

Pentium - first superscalar (multiple ops/clock)
Pentium MMX - int SIMD
Pentium Pro - first out-of-order. had on-package (but separate chip) L2 cache
Pentium 2 - PPro rehash, but it a slot card package instead of normal PGA
Pentium 3 - added SSE = fp SIMD
Pentium 4 - ("NetBurst") HOUSEFIRES -- point of falling behind AMD
Itanium - VLIW (= super wide issue, in-order) walled garden attack on market, compilers couldn't magically solve problems
Core - multi-core PPro/P3 designs since P4 had issues reaching 5 GHz or whatever
Core 2 - adopted AMD's x86_64 extensions
Nehalem - put memory controller on die -- point of catching back up to AMD
Sandy Bridge - added uop instruction cache -- point of pulling ahead of AMD until at least the present

and lastly, the Xeon 5000 series is from the Core era, right when Intel was fucking absolutely everything up left and right.

If you absolutely want a ~10 year old rig, go for an Opteron instead, but you'd be a drastically happier with even just a Sandy Bridge.

DDR2 really holds back older platforms, it's a shame

Pentium 4 600 series, Pentium Ds and some Cores all had x64 support.

Also Athlon II x4s 600 series were mostly neck to neck with Core 2 Quads.

The catch is that it's not worth more than $150

Big numbers aren't everything. The xeons with ddr2 are going to be slow as fuck. The video card is shit and the hard drive might as well be too. The electricity costs are going to be tremendous. A lot of the dell desktop parts were custom (like upside-down motherboards with odd sizes and specific front panel cables).

Also, remember the age of green plastic?

I paid $300 CAD 2 years ago for a dual 5520 Lenovo D20 and a GTX 680. Don't do it OP its a ripoff. You can do better in the states.

No it wasn't. It was below Phenom II performance.

Yeah, it was Phenom. I fucked up

Id want to use these as a cheap media box and maybe some other projects. I wouldn't spend more than $100 though.

>DDR2
>128 MB VRAM video card
Do you really need ECC RAM? Because aside from that everything else is shit. Those Xeon are ancient low clocked quadcores without hyperthreading. Any i7 will probably outperform it.

Power use. Have fun adding $50 to your electricity bill to run those old ass xeons.

I had one of those at work dual wuad core xeons. Brought it home only to discover it was using 550w AT IDLE.

it's a space heater not a gaming pc user.

>what’s the drawback to this

everything, it’s fucking trash

>T7400
>FBDIMM

Dude, I throw these out by the dozens. If you really want something dual CPU, look at an HP Z800. Dell has an equivalent, but the 2nd CPU is on an optional riser card.

Best bang for the buck right now is the HP Z420 I think, but I even throw these out from time to time.

and i'm the guy who picks them out of the trash and throws in a cheap gpu and sells it as a 'quad core gaming machine' on craigslist.

its actually somewhat overpriced