/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread:

Old Thread What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1512814351073.png (934x1000, 509K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/programming/comments/886zji/why_has_there_been_nearly_3_million_installs_of
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you think web dev industry practices are so bad why don't you make something better and become a billionaire

Second for C99.

lads cmon

>he thinks there's money in improving webshit practices
those js monkeys won't switch to anything better; it's too complicated for them

>left-pad
>is-odd
it's beyond hope. i'll make my fortune in a reasonable industry, thanks.

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
Pic related.

Attached: IMG_0501.jpg (2101x1962, 1.27M)

Just look at all the JS frameworks and tools there are out there. Look at all the efforts made to make it a slightly bit better, and yet webshits still prefer to shoot themselves in the feet.

I don't really understand.
Is this some kind of GPU sharing over network ?
Can you elaborate, it looks interesting ?

so you're saying the industry practices are good at least from a productivity standpoint

>library functions are bad

there are no real improvement efforts made by web hosts (unless you mean selling you more expensive, unnecessary and over-complicated cloud services) and web browser fags

I'm making two remote GPUs appear as if they are locally installed in a third node in a PCIe network. I've been working on getting PCIe peer-to-peer to work properly so that traffic takes the shortest path in the network, rather than being routed through the CPU of the system that is "borrowing" them.

>shilling this hard for your own shitty career choices
wew lad

Are you asking for us to improve the practices or the industry?
They're linked. The choice of language have these symptoms.
>make something better and become a billionaire
Only something a moron could claim frankly.
Even if you made the _objectively_ best environment for web people to develop in the popularity of current tech keeps them there.
Of course if it's good enough it'd sway some. And if we're at the extreme we'd probably get there. But being better is nowhere near enough. You need to promise something that divides the number of developers needed by 10 or so. And then there's a lot of work in marketing to get there still.

>the utter delusion of people who equate "good" with "profitable"
No good did goes unpunished, user.

if you have better practices, your company would have a competitive edge over other webfag companies

i'm not even a web dev, i'm just sick of the reddit circlejerk thread being posted several threads in a row

t. communist cuck

triple dubs of truth
and all return true from is-odd

deed*

holy shit nice meta

programmers talking shit about web devs is like pokemon fans talking shit about my little pony

Rustfag here. AMA

Attached: steve klabnik.jpg (1400x933, 384K)

what do u think about web developers

They are like babies playing with LEGO

>if you have better practices you have a competitive edge
Everyone has a competitive edge in some way.
What you're suggesting is for me to go into one of the least profitable industries available measured for individual programmers.
Fuck that.
>communist
Are you so stupid you don't even realize what that statement is about?
No its like machinists talking shit about welders.

>if you don't naively equate profitability with quality, you're le gommunist goobyman
Back to FB, kiddo.

Attached: main-qimg-757b4bbc4cebc847c1dfff1bcfa39a12-c.jpg (602x482, 39K)

it's like nuclear physicists talking shit about the plant janitor
and the janitor thinks he's good will hunting but really he's just a lunatic who does everything wrong. but he's nice enough.
they hired him from a local community program to help the severely autistic get a leg up in life.

>my time is worthless and i don't make much money but at least i tell myself i have """"quality""""

This poster is so afraid of being accused of "reddit spacing" that he will write this convoluted and unreadable rant.

Nice graph, Rajesh
Nobody writing C++ makes over $121k. Everyone knows that.

>average pay is more or less the same
This indicates to me that whatever language you use, you're bound to end up making around the same amount of money and there's a few lucky bastards that earn shitloads (probably because the sample size is a lot bigger for Java and JavaScript).

I have no idea what that is.
Are you complaining about me adding a newline after the first sentence?
Sure I agree that looks better without the newline.
But I wouldn't call it less readable.

>can't address the huge fault with his retarded premise
>resorts to desperate deflection and talking about his fantasies

When you're quoting multiple posts in one reply, you should at least do the reader the favor of at splitting it into two different paragraphs.

>>>/leddit/

>indicates
Would indicate. This obviously can't be trusted since it's suggesting that the lower and upper bounds are anywhere close to that.

from a business point of view, why would you have any measure of "good" other than "profitable"

>don't invest in productivity
>bare minimum quality standard
>invest the rest of """time""" and money in marketing
You might not become a billionaire, but you certainly will get rich.

I see.
I normally do that I think. I haven't considered it.
Not sure why that's considered reddit spacing. Do they have multi-post replies?

>This obviously can't be trusted since it's suggesting that the lower and upper bounds are anywhere close to that.
Actually, for *programmers* I do think that's the case. It's only after you move into management, that you start earning considerably more. I've yet to see a senior developer position promising anything more than 180k, which seems like a reasonable upper cap for a programming position.

No, it's just that leakage from Jow Forums tend to derail threads by accusing people using spacing and paragraphs of being redditors. I would claim that people should favour writing posts that are readable, rather than being afraid of silly memes.

Reminder that "totally not redditors" shill Reddit threads on Jow Forums:
reddit.com/r/programming/comments/886zji/why_has_there_been_nearly_3_million_installs_of

I'm not dictating what measure of "good" businesses should have, tard. Just pointing out the extremely obvious fact that things that are considered "good" from a "business point of view" are utter trash from pretty much every other point of view.

>being afraid of the reddit boogey man
user, I say this with love: grow up.

>look mom i built a 1:100 scale replica of the nasa space shuttle only using toothpicks and glue
>look mom isn't it fantastic

Depends on how you define a programmer. My mother is a project lead but she's still a senior developer. I'd expect that to still be a 'programmer' as she does programming as part of her job.

get your non-programming out of my daily programming thread REEEE

I would also say this is a programmer, yes. But yeah, you have a point. The statistics may be bad and the definitions may be different.

>can't define """"good""""
>only relies on """"muh feels""""
>thinks professional web developers should throw everything away because """"reasons"""""

Please stop.

Just filter it?

I don't need to define "good" to point out that your idea of "good" (which naturally includes fleecing and swindling) is incompatible with pretty much every other idea of good, whatever it may be.

>this is what marxist moralfags actually believe
this board is 18+ kiddo

>can't address the irrefutable content of the post
>le maxrist goobeyman 18+

>>this is what marxist moralfags actually believe
I believe he was talking about "good" as in "quality", not morals.
Must be hard to be illiterate as an adult.

>irrefutable
>can't address it
can you blame him? XDDDD

the goal of most pro web devs is to do their job and get paid
if node.js is what they use, it's fine, they don't care if neckbeards like you can't sleep at night because you think is-odd will turn into some security exploit

>web devs don't care about potential security exploits
sounds about right

trips of truth

>I believe he was talking about "good" as in "quality", not morals.
I'm not talking about any specific notion of "good". Just pointing out that "whatever makes you the most money" has nothing to do with most of them.

>Cmen think they care, but they actually let security exploits slip through out of their own incompetence and not because of some malicious dependency

>the goal of most pro web devs is to do their job and get paid
Completely irrelevant. Still doesn't address the fact that your basic premise is pants-on-head retarded, which invalidates your entire position from the start.

>he thinks i write C
i work in finance writing haskell. nice try faggot.

there is no such thing as an employed haskell programmer.
Also checked.

you're being retarded, "good"' in this case is whatever gets the job done, you want to tell web devs to do it in your armchair expert """"good"""" way and cut their income in half, good luck with that

That's because he made his own trading bot in Haskell. Don't you know how efficient Haskell runtime is? It can garbage collect more than 1 GB per second you know.

>"good" is the most profitable
>"good" is whatever gets the job done
what's next ?
"good" is bad ?

*gets free slice of pizza*
>REEEEEEEEEE you didn't make it with all fresh ingredients and authentic tomato sauce flown in from italy
>you're not good at making pizza REEEEEEEEE

Attached: crybaby.jpg (1280x720, 53K)

>"good" is free
now we're getting somewhere :^)

>more than 60 posts
>only one person has posted about his project

Why would I care for people, just look at them.
Do you think they deserve better?

>"good"' in this case is whatever gets the job done
When you're aiming for extremely low-quality products, anything gets the job done. Obviously doesn't make for good products, or a good user experience, or good code, but it does make for a good business model: you pump out utter garbage but let people use it "for free", get them addicted to it, then make a good buck selling user data to advertisers. You can tell someone else all about how it's "good", webshit. For now, just get back in your hamster wheel and keep pumping out garbage for peanuts while your shekelmasters make a very good profit.

b-but you know those web devs and their one-function modules hehehehe lol amirite

I'm and ironically I actually used to work as a web dev before I decided I wanted to do embedded stuff instead.

Jow Forums is horribly prejudiced when it comes to what real jobs actually look like.

Don't expect too much from /v/.

Attached: 2018-03-19-040802_277x460_scrot.png (277x460, 80K)

that's what i'm saying is the mindset of web devs, it's not a problem for them to use off-the-shelf ingredients (npm modules), and neckbeards here don't realize how stupid they look when they laugh at web devs, and in the case of is-odd, it's not 3 million individual devs who actively decided to use is-odd, it's just that it's used in some places in some different libraries

Do most neckbeard webmonkeys not realize how stupid they look when they call themselves "programmers", or is it just you?

>being this triggered

You didn't answer the question, though. Is it just you, or are most webmonkeys equally delusional? Genuinely curious, user.

see >i'm not even a web dev, i'm just sick of the reddit circlejerk thread being posted several threads in a row

no, it just means they have no standard.
A Bit like the poos, they all do it in the loo, cause it's not a problem for them to shit in the streets, western neckbeards here don't realize how stupid they look when they laugh at pajeets. It's not one million streetshitters who decided to poo in the loo, it's just how it is in some places.

I'm not him, but I used to be a web developer and yes I called my self a programmer. I worked mostly backend and spent most time developing FastCGI endpoints in C++.

imagine how much better websites were, if they were programmed and not "mark uped"
every website would be as sophisticated as a video game gui

And using tens of thousands of tiny dependencies is a terrible design. This is an inherent problem with the language because it has no standard library which is preloaded on all browsers, which would have made it much harder to mess up this bad.

>i'm not even a webdev
>i'm only virulently defending the shit tools, shit practices and shit products they use
>by insisting it's all "good" because it makes money for the shekelmasters and gets "the job" done
Try not sounding so emotionally invested and asshurt next time.

just remove all the hacky stuff from front end deving
no hacks
everything reasonable named

boom, instantly better

webassembly

>i-i-i'm not even a web dev
>posts this
Seething.

here's an example, i made my own build server the other day, and i just made it in java with the java libraries, i don't care to make a hardcore nerd version in C/C++, and even then you would have to use the POSIX libraries or some other dependency i think

>it's not 3 million individual devs
No its idiots who trust a library that has a dependency called is-odd.
That's a real fucking problem. If you told me this in my environment I'd expect the you to remove it without me telling you to.
Anyone who's involved with software knows how much work comes from managing dependencies across updates.
Locked down its just fine. But most don't do that and there's no telling when future developers will want to update.

In the culture of npm its especially harmful. As demonstrated with leftpad. They don't even attempt to contain the damage.

>I used to be a web developer and yes I called my self a programmer.
At least you know better now.

tfw in yurop salary ranges for programmers end at 60k :/

i want fucking native binaries running on a browser, compile different binaries for different archs/platforms, and have fallbacks for unsupported archs/platforms

lol'd. But yeah, I still call what I did programming, and it's listed under experience on my CV, just saying.

That's objectively false.

So basically, you want ActiveX back... You should be dragged out in the streets and shot.

that's not true, except if you're talking about """yurop""" (i.e. east, south-east)

>Jow Forums is horribly prejudiced when it comes to what real jobs actually look like.
No you just in a wrong thread.
/dpt/ mostly focus on lower level programming that run directly on the OS or bare metal.
/wdg/ is for the webfag and focus on higher level script that run in browser environment.
Some anons either didn't know about /wdg/ or think that /dpt/ is the programming thread for everything will flood /dpt/ with their webdev-shit.
That is why lots of anons in /dpt/ will shitting against webdev or any javascriptfag.

it would be sandboxed

See The web app I worked on did heavy bulk file operations and light image and video processing.

I'm sorry, but you are grossly mistaken if you think "webdev" is just hacking around with front-end stuff.

So, basically Java applets and servlets and containers (beans) then? We tried this as well, it invokes some bad memories.