/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Last one hit bump limit

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. gaming, video rditing, VM work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600/K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / i7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000+ MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-currency miners have driven GPU prices up or depleted stock
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050 Ti- 140 USD; 1060 3GB- $200; 1060 6GB- $230; RX 570 4GB- $170; RX 580 4GB- $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080 Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p
>GTX 1080 Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider M.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: pc building simulator.jpg (1280x720, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/MhzWD2
forum.level1techs.com/t/threadripper-reset-fixes
pcpartpicker.com/list/GQjLJ8
amzn
pcpartpicker.com/list/MGGtgw
pcpartpicker.com/list/pV7nHh
pcpartpicker.com/list/rxpNQZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/r9M6sZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/sj4w6s
pcpartpicker.com/list/2PVGRG
youtube.com/watch?v=6BBEasRiM_M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nice

finally just one

It was just a single thread, but I am like all the OPs, a faggot

I'll be building a Ryzen 2700X PC in two weeks. I already have the case, hardware except the Ryzen and ordered a H150i and six ML RGB fans.

I used my 16 GB Crucial 2400 CL17 kit, but want to future proof it, since these are shitty RAMs with no heatspreader at all. Should I go for 32 GB 3200 or 3600? Does latency matter? 3200 would be 375 €, 3600 450 €.

Also, is there a reason to favor Corsair over Gskill, the Corsair seems to have worse latencies and the Skill looks better, probably using Samsung B-Dies for better overclocking.

Attached: Survivor (24.03.2018).jpg (3264x2448, 2.85M)

2080ti when? Im sick of the low fps on my 1060 and cant see the point of buying a 2 year old 1080ti at this point

The 1080 Ti came out last year, fagballs.

This. If you have the money, buy a Ti now. Choose a good custom model over a shitty and overpriced FE 1180 which will come somewhen this summer. It won't be avaiable well and of course no customs at start.

Should I go for x399 and 12 core threadripper, or wait for ryzen 2700x? I mostly develop in C++ and .net core, testing in windows vms and drawing in Krita. I rarely log on the windows partition to play games. I also plan to use vga passthrough for when I want to play a game.

Build now with a 1600X w/ X370, or wait for a 2600 w/ X470 ?

Id watercool it. Plus waiting 4 months for a card thats way better seems like a good idea to me

when will ram have normal prices?

i refuse to upgrade while the Ram price is ridiculously high

>I also plan to use vga passthrough for when I want to play a game.
Did they fix the reset issues with VGA passthrough on threadripper yet? If not, go with AM4 or LGA2066.

Is watercooling just a meme or if you're overclocking to get the maximum cpu/gpu power you need actually fucking useful?

Hi anons, may someone rate this build please?

pcpartpicker.com/list/MhzWD2

Also, how do I get newegg to update the bios of the motherboard before shipping it? Can anyone actually do it, or do I have to get someone irl to do it?

Forgot to add, I will mainly use it for software development. I have to use Visual Studio, Android Studio, and such (hope the 16 GB ram is enough for it).

I also may do some casual gaming and video editing.

I did it

Attached: IMG_20180331_193350_162.jpg (720x1280, 182K)

Looks good. Very similar to mine:
Why did you pick a micro atx motherboard though? Not necessarily bad, but the case supports regular atx. If you want to keep it you could change the case for the Define Mini C. Should you decide to change motherboard, keep in mind that your ram might not be compatible. Also, I assume you're aware of the BIOS update meme needed for the Ryzen APU's.

Is this actually a good way to learn how to build a PC?

Nice user, good luck with it

You're delusional if you think that the small die 1100 series card will be much faster than a 1080 Ti. You'll be waiting the better part of another year on top of that for the new Ti to get a real upgrade.

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
1000 usd
>List your uses, e.g. gaming, video rditing, VM work
streaming video. No gaming.

>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Watch high def video.

basically a normie machine

Attached: 1521481463164.jpg (2048x1367, 512K)

Did you take that photo user? I like it.
Also, 1000$ is way too much for a simple computer that just streams video. You'd spend most of your money on your monitor. Probably something like a Dell Ultrasharp. For the pc itself, you could take a Dell niggaplex off' eBay for cheap, or if you really want to build it yourself, look at the saved builds on pcpartpicker. Take one without a gpu.

Ignore the last sentence about BIOS update, I didn't read your full post. I don't know anything about newegg or whatever. Here in the netherlands I found an online store to do it for a couple euros, so I can't imagine they don't offer sometging similar in the US. Look for "assembly" or "service" or some shit.

Why are you getting so much ram?

there is a patch for fixing that.
forum.level1techs.com/t/threadripper-reset-fixes

Future proofing. I have the money atm and think two 16 GBs are better than 8, because Ryzen has only 4 DIMM slots. I would get 64 if it was affordable, but its alright, I don't really need 32 GB, its just better than 16 GB. Winrar loves fast RAM and video programs eat RAM as well. For gaymes it should be overkill.

Yeah. I think 16gb will be fine for the next few years till you want to upgrade. Personally I think your just wasting money. 16gb alone is pretty pricey. I mean you can always upgrade later if need be and the price will be down by then(or up, god knows what's going on)

RAM is an easy upgrade when your CPU cooler isn't blocking any slots. I would recommend to get what you need today, and upgrade later when prices are cheaper.

Rather just get a higher speed 16gb ram like 3200mhz rather than 16gb 2400mhz

>tfw considering building a PC but all this talk of static shocks has me scared shitless
I think I could figure the rest out, but knowing my fucking luck, I'll be fucked before even assembling it.

How often does this happen?

I'd go for something like this
pcpartpicker.com/list/GQjLJ8
If you wanted to spend more you could get a B350-F Rog Strix, a SU650 480GB, a WD Black 2TB, a 620 EVO and the Enthoo Pro M

Its extremely rare that even all the tech reviewers don't bother. Though I remember the guy on gamers nexus fried a motherboard whilst on camera.
I don't bother myself. But aparrently just touching your finger on the metal case is enough to ground you. Just don't work on carpets(I literally sit on the carpet when I fiddle with my PC. they say or wear anything that can generate static
Just make sure you've switch off the PC and pulled out the plug before you start. If you do accidentally fry something just RMA it and say it wasn't working when you got it. But that takes time.

You don't really need an sdd but getting a larger harddrive might be on your list cause you want to view movies and nowadays those can eat up a lot of space.
Also you might want to get Wi-Fi adapter so you don't have to use Ethernet cable

How's this for $480?
I'm gonna be using it to learn programming and a bit of photoshop, along with shitposting on /gee/
amzn to/2JbNGIW
>inb4prebuilt
I've tried looking at pcpartpicker and even looking at used parts on eBay and it always comes out a lot more expensive for the same hardware

how about a ryzen 2200G/2400G
it would be a cheap normie machine

Looks good.

For the dude that bought a chinese x58 motherboard with some xeon for €200, be aware that your motherboard will not be able to overclock.

pcpartpicker.com/list/MGGtgw and pirate windows. you can make it cheaper by going with 8gb of ram.

Perfect! Thank you so much

How's this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/pV7nHh

Attached: Add 20 dollars for a Windows 10 key off the gray market.png (1454x933, 106K)

3tb hard drives have a high failure rate compared to 2 or 4tb drives

you're overpaying for that mobo. you can get msi pc mate or asrock pro4 for cheaper.

Was 3 the unlucky one? I thought failure went up the bigger your size was

I thought that was only a particular model of Seagate HDDs. If I am mistaken, thank you for the correction.

that might be the case
i got the idea in general 1.5 and 3tb drives were more prone to failure though
perhaps im wrong though

Maybe consider the MX330 for $5 more

Thanks for the advice

What are more or less the differences between motherboards?

What should I consider aside from ports and ram compatibility?

Thank you, will consider the two of these. Sorry for being a newfag with pcpartpicker

not him but I used an mATX because it was cheaper and I only needed one PCI-E 16x slot.

Then consider the cheaper GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 or the Tuf B350M-Plus and maybe a Core V21 to save some money or a Enthoo Pro M Acrylic for better airflow

I've remade the list for ATX, mATX, and mini-ITX. Is it better this way?

> mATX
pcpartpicker.com/list/rxpNQZ

> ATX
pcpartpicker.com/list/r9M6sZ

> mini ITX
pcpartpicker.com/list/sj4w6s

can anyone give me tips on building a hyper micro pc with a video card, similar to MSI and Alienwares offerings?

Doesn't really make sense though.
>a micro PC to match your micro pe nis...

>Doesn't really make sense though
may have to do with the way they manufacture them
looks like its an old problem outside of 1.4tb drives though

Attached: size.jpg (1135x898, 330K)

Yeah that's seriously messed up. Didn't know about it. So 4gb is pretty safe. Nice to know

>What are more or less the differences between motherboards?
overclocking capabilities, vrms, bios, ports. the mortat arctic is a terrible deal because you're paying $10 just because it's painted white.

msi tomahawk is by the best deal if you're getting it with the rebate. gigabyte mobos are trash

there was 1 faulty seagate model that fucks up the statistics. if you buy new hdds made after 2015 you'll be fine.

When does the NDA end for the new ryzens???!!?!?!?

is NVME still a meme? was thinking about going to m.2 on a HDD update for my PC

Attached: Best girl low effort.png (628x673, 359K)

thoughts on thermal paste? thermal grizzly really worth it?

overpriced meme

>buying new parts
Do you like wasting money?

Attached: cheap_gaming_pc.png (1121x673, 58K)

>30 FPS 'HD' gaming

I mean, if your CRT monitor only supports 720p then well that's a pretty good system user.

Attached: 🤔 LemonThink.png (2048x1984, 196K)

yes

>having to play every game on ultra
>paying $500+ to do so
Yeah, alright user. I'll just be over here playing high settings at 1080p with 60FPS.

enjoy being poor user
also
>steamos
lmao

LOL people like you have shit PC systems and then go on to say how much better PC's are than the PS4 or Xbox 1

It's not really about being poor, it's about not needing to spend $1000 to build a gaming computer.

Also, yeah, I installed Windows 10 on it pretty quickly because not many games I play are actually supported on Linux.

>projecting this hard
I wanted a second cheap computer I could take to college with me, and I'm pretty happy with the performance for the price.

>gaming computer
>Linux

Attached: 1471053191969.webm (1280x720, 2.08M)

did you just stop reading after the first sentence?

You're not necessarily wasting your money by buying new, for a little more you could get a 2200g and drop a GPU in there later, of course the 780 will beat Vega 8 but you'd be getting everything with warranty

>>projecting this hard
It's been a while since I've been that poor, so I've forgotten the feeling.

Attached: sagebu smug.png (1280x720, 420K)

shit what gave me away?

Anyone ever put a different fan on a Wraith Spire?
I like that it blows air onto my shit vrm heatsinks (b350 PC mate), but the fan is pretty loud under load.

Attached: kH4dlg5.webm (488x290, 161K)

>PC BUILDING SIMULATOR

Damn, I should have thought of that. Get money from endorsments *and* from players.

Where can I find either modernish motherboard with a floppy controller OR a PCI expansion card with a floppy controller?

Build if you don't have a working PC and need it.
Wait if you can afford to.

Intel 9th gen WHEN??!!

In a year

Budget $700ish USD
All around gaming, video editing, VM's

Looking to upgrade from my i5-2500k build from years ago. Only need core parts. Already have nzxt h440 case, 850 evo ssd, gtx980, 600w psu
Haven't looked at pc hardware in a while and want to know if there is any better options. Also thinking about going with 32 gb of ram instead of 16 gb.

Here is my current upgrade pcpartpicker.com/list/2PVGRG

>pcpartpicker.com/list/2PVGRG
seems good user

Looks good, I'd get the D15s to avoid any clearance issues though.

>2012 gaming in 2018

Thanks.

2 year old pc will boot loop (no POST). If I take out the GPU, it will boot sometimes. I have gotten it to boot once with the GPU and everything worked fine until a Windows Update.

So it's the PSU, right? Just need to replace that?

Hey do you guys know a trustworthy place to get a Windows activator program?

Attached: 1515353536662.jpg (271x243, 46K)

Looking at the specs of these, why does Noctua put the NF A12 on them and not a static pressure optimized fan?

google nigger

Uh, Microsoft. You have to pay them, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=6BBEasRiM_M
Pretty interesting video. I have no idea how this particular issue managed to go unnoticed.

110$ vs. software that may or may not use my pc to mine bitcoin...

it's a difficult choice

Can be everything, but could be PSU, or motherboard, or GPU, or your OS.

RAM also likes to give a fuss.

Sure it can be everything. But it seems to be either the GPU or the PSU. The fact that I have gotten it booting and everything werked until I turned it off suggests the problem is the PSU, right?

>bully case makers for sponsorship by threatening to use bootleg placeholders instead
>grab free kickstarter money and advertisement
>cuck nvidia for tech and competence
>have linux community do half the programming by not using windows in-game
>sell rgb features as microtransactions

The perfect crime

Have you tried some other wall outlet?

Could be a bad power source as well.

>110$

Hey guys,
I don't want the ugly antennae from a PCI-e network adaptor, is there anything more low profile/doesn't get in the way of my ports?

r8 my budget ITX build so far, any recs?

Attached: itx.png (1396x660, 75K)