Previous thread: >>65313224

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T/W400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement) (T440s if portability matters, soldered cpu)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: 0f16fc6ba65e0d1571d3bd2cadd5db09384f6e39ed4602094cb47e9ea34793c7.png (1047x867, 1.6M)

Other urls found in this thread:

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf
needsmorejpeg.com/i/qPy4L
sourceforge.net/projects/tp4xfancontrol.
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/4yazgh/best_heatsink_for_t420/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lenovo ruined Thinkpads. They're shit now

Blease

I have a T420 and want to upgrade my mobo. I have a 04Y1933 right now and I heard that the 04W2045/04W2049 were good. Which of those two is the better upgrade option and what benefits would I be getting because of it?

I'm also wanting to upgrade my cpu. I have a i5-2540M right now. I've seen some reddit thread where someone said i could replace it with a i7-3720qm/or 3632qm if worried about the heat, versus going with a i7-2640m (not worth the upgrade) or 2820qm.

So I can go with a i7-3740qm/3840qm if I install new fans and a heatsink or what? Where do I even get an upgraded heatsink and what model?

I have tons of chips in the case of my x220. Where do I get cheap replacement parts?

A dumpster

Got my T420s a few days ago, but now, at least according to i3's battery monitor, the battery is holding less and less charge, seemingly by whole percents. It held something like 61% and now it's down to 46%. Is that just i3 doing that or did I get a thinkpad with a bum battery?

For windows there's a tool to calibrate, don't know if that's also available for your os.

I'm on Arch

Probably not.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (516x635, 85K)

hey boys, I got a question for you. I ordered an x220i and according to thinkwiki it can only have an i3, but the BIOS says its got an i5. How is that possible?

If you are upgrading the mobo in order to get the dGPU, either one should be alright. However, I would strongly advise against doing so. because the NVS 4200M is barely more powerful than the igpu, and generates significantly more heat and draws significantly more power. Just get an expresscard eGPU adapter if you need a better GPU

IIRC putting an ivy bridge on a T420 requires some bios flashing fuckery. Check the T420 HMM for heatsink models, and look for them on Ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc.

Charge battery overnight, then let it drain to zero. Then charge it all the way up again to recalibrate

Amazon, Ebay, Ali, etc.
Or find a cheap broken x220 on ebay or whatever, and switch the cases.
Or, you know, just let it be. Who gives a shit about chips on a thinkpad. They're built to take the damage.

It could also be your battery chip dying. I had an old T420 which would drain down to 0% and stay there for a couple hours.

Yeah I'd have to install core boot.

Ok I guess I'll be happy with the HD 4000 graphics.

So do I just find the latest heatsink in the hmm for the cpu upgrade?

I'll try it out, thanks!

I'd hope not, I bought it refurbished. Would it be an easy replacement, or would I need to break out the soldering iron?

I AM ABOUT TO TAKE THE RISK
Thank you btw mate x

looks like x220i had an i5-2410m option. SKU: 04Y1846

The wiki is probably correct, Lies_Occasionally. But I see a lot of listings for just the motherboard that is x220i compatible, and has an i5. So it was probably replaced at some point before the sale.

Product ID is listed on the bottom as 4290w47

knew that was gonna happen, i was due for a new account anyway

I don't know a lot about the x220i, but making an educated guess by quickly skimming the manual, it seems to be fully compatible with normal x220 parts, so there's a pretty good chance that the previous owner swapped an x220 motherboard into an x220i or more likely swapped an x220i screen onto an x220. You're going to need to do some investigation work yourself if you want to know the true answer.

>w520 in the mail
Feels good.

Attached: 735b1cd788c88d4e7639ed5ca995e5686b4053b61e6ffeb86d434d6a79d52bd1.gif (480x270, 87K)

Is the R400 Libreboot compatible?

>4290w47
I think it might be the latter. Product ID on the bottom is listed as 4290w47 which when you slap into google comes out as an x220, not the x220i

I got a really dumb question, but better safe than sorry. So I bought a $2 BIOS chip flasher ($3 with 8 pin clip) off of Aliexpress after watching a few videos that gave me a good impression of it. I want to flash my x230 bios to remove the wifi card white list. What's the worst that can happen if I fuck this up?

What games do you play on your ThinkPad that still run decently Jow Forums?
I like to play /gsg/ games of my X230.
>inb4 thinkpads can't game

>What games do you play on your ThinkPad that still run decently Jow Forums?
Games are for children.

egpu (1050ti) + x220 internal screen: new vegas w/ fancy mods (60fps), overcrotch (60fps med), divinity original sin 2 (45-60fps med),

>What's the worst that can happen if I fuck this up
You would just have to reflash it again.

Eat your prunes, grandpa

>using png for photographs

Attached: 1519472011844.jpg (1129x1200, 118K)

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf
Look in here for compatible heatsinks in the compaible. Search their model number online and buy. Keep in mind that there are two types of heatsink, one designed without dGPU and one with. The one with the dGPU has an extra copper coil.

"refurbished" generally means the machine will boot, and company data has been wiped. Batteries are generally hit or miss, I wouldn't be surprised if your battery is fucked. Most likely not an easy fix, probably not even worth trying. Might as well upgrade to a 9 cell battery since you have an excuse to.

Morrowind, Kerbal Space Program, Mount&Blade, work fine on my T440p if you can stomach potato settings.

needsmorejpeg.com/i/qPy4L

I play Baldur's Gate on my T61 every once in a while.

So in other words to get an ivy lake on there I should get the latest model best sink that is for a dgpu?

No silly, you don't need a dGPU cooler if you don't have a dGPU!
The ivy bridge processors you listed (i7-3740qm/3840qm) are both 45W TDP processors. The most powerful supported processor for the T420 is the i7-2620M, which is a 35W TDP processor. I don;t know whether the cooling system of the T420 would be able to effectively cool those under full load. I think I do remember one guy on here who did that and he said it was stable without turbo boost.
You probably wont need to buy a new CPU cooler unless your current one is dying.

do thinkpad beomce warm and do very loud?

the headphone jack on my t450s is becoming loose. how hard is it to replace it?

> he gets a W530

>Chiclet

>

Attached: 1522182370604.jpg (800x1200, 719K)

Star Wars: Empire at War runs well at 1080p on my T440p (Intel graphics).
Haven't downloaded any mods yet, might have to drop the antialiasing settings down once I do.

I'm assuming that by loose you mean that it's coming loose from the board. Judging by pictures of the t450s mobo, it's soldered in (but I could be wrong because there's no clear ones on google), so if you know how to solder it should be relatively easy. You might not even have to replace it, and instead just have to reflow the solder to make a firm connection with the motherboard. Flow some leaded solder onto the joints first to make the lead free solder on the board easier to melt.

So how are the new thinkpads? Worth the money? My T420 is feeling old.

X220 or X1 carbon
For travelling, I'm torn between the two, which would you choose?

Attached: 111 little-brother.jpg (1024x768, 165K)

x220 BATTERYMAXXXED

Got both, the X1 is better overall but the ability to carry multiple batteries along your X220 is definitely a plus when traveling.

Always thought that the 15" T series were pretty much the same as their 14" counterparts barring the screen and improved innards. I now see that newer ones have a numpad and trackpad is shifted waaay off cented. When did this start happening?

With the 40s, like so many other horrible offenses to Thinkpad design.

I was just thinking that if it's meant to cool more, then it can't hurt to get the big one.

I did read something that I would need to at least replace the fan. I want to get that good CPU in there but I don't even want to CHANCE overheating. So I should get the latest model heatsink for an igpu then? Wouldn't that operate just as fine as the one I have now?

Can it spare more space for bigger one? The only thing I can think is just get a better paste anyway.

>I was just thinking that if it's meant to cool more, then it can't hurt to get the big one.
Left is heatsink without dGPU. Right is heatsink with.
I guess you could buy the dGPU model and tear off the extra copper coil, for better cooling in theory. I do believe the fans inside are basically identical though, so the only thermal benefits you would be getting would be from the higher thermal capacity of the heatsink, due to the extra mass of the copper.
>I did read something that I would need to at least replace the fan.
Personally? I wouldn't bother with getting a new cooler for a ivy bridge quadcore unless I was experiencing issues with heat beforehand. Thermal gains would probably be minimal; not worth the extra $30 I have to shell out.
> I want to get that good CPU in there but I don't even want to CHANCE overheating
Ivy bridge CPUs are rated for operation at 100c. Not sure about the motherboard, but I wouldn't be worried either way. Obviously not optimal, but I've stress tested my T420 for several hours at 90c, and seen no issue whatsoever. Besides, CPUs nowadays won't keep cooking themselves up when the go past their thermal limits. What MIGHT happen if your cooling system is not good enough is the CPU will simply downclock itself to lower temperatures to a safe level.

If you're running windows, I recomend sourceforge.net/projects/tp4xfancontrol. You can adjust the fan curve if you're still paranoid of overheating. Other things you can do to improve cooling is applying high quality thermal paste, cleaning out all the dust, and not blocking the vents on the bottom.

What are your current idle/load temps?

Attached: Screenshot (90).png (1600x900, 1.75M)

Probably I'll have to check.

According to

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/4yazgh/best_heatsink_for_t420/

the heatsink might not actually help worth shit.

That's unfortunate because I want to put a little mSATA ssd in my slow by the ram.

So just a new fan and thermal paste, turn off turbo boost (is that in the bios?) and hope for the best I guess?

Idle is about 49-56 C
15% load is around 62-67 C
50% load is around 93-99 C

thats terrrribleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Set my eGPU up yesterday and was in the last thread.

Stalker: CoP was optimized for Intel HD and will run completely fine on a stock X220.

With my 750Ti and an external screen so far I've got:
-Fallout 4 on low/medium 1440x900 @ 50-60fps (stuttering a bit though, partially alleviated by forcing off V-sync, but I also don't meet the RAM requirements currently)
-SOMA on highest with adaptive V-sync 1680x1050 @ 45-60fps
-Fallout 3 on maximum 168x1050 @ 60fps
-Metro: Last Light Redux on maximum 1680x1050 @ 30-45fps (this one wasmuch better than I expected)

God damn I forgot how nice this game looks

Attached: 287390_screenshots_20180331210607_1.jpg (1680x1050, 393K)

What are your CPU/GPU usages whilst gaming?

Can I ask why the X1 is better, I'm really torn between the X1 or the 220.
The X1 looks slim and newer is it a lot wider?

Attached: it-1.jpg (1920x1080, 276K)

Is around an inch wider, but less than half the thickness, the keyboard is decent for a newpad but still behind the x220 keyboard although the trackpoint is easier to use on the X1 because of the flat keys.

The trackpad is also decent except on the 2nd Gen model, that version is so trash it even comes with a memebar instead of function keys.

Performance wise the X220 it's around 3 generations older than the X1 and it shows but more importantly the gpu on the X1 is miles better than the Intel HD 3000 of the X220 to the point that i can do some light gaming on the my X1(3rd gen), also the screen resolution is much better, the X1 comes with at least a FHD screen and up to WQHD, while the X220 only has WXGA.

Also, the X1 lacks Ethernet and VGA, but it shouldn't be a problem while traveling.

Anyone here tried the A series? Is it any good?

>around an inch wider, but less than half the thickness, the keyboard is decent for a newpad but still behind the x220 keyboar

Thanks for the response. The performance of the x220 worries me a bit, will it be able to handle standard web browsing, watching a movie, office tasks etc.

Finding a 3rd gen or later X1 at a decent price on ebay seems difficult and the fact that it needs so many dongles to do basic things, similar to the Microsoft Surface, is a bit off putting.

Attached: cyber-security.jpg (1601x1200, 370K)

Consensus is that Bristol Ridge blows.
Wait for Raven Ridge A-series later this year if you want an AMD Thinkpad.

Trying to buy a x220 that's in good condition but sometimes when I do find one to my liking there's a sticker of some sort on the top.

I assume you will generally end up in a situation where you attempt to remove the paper based sticker & you cannot remove it in one simple pull. How would you remove all the pieces of paper & sticky material without fucking up the aesthetic?

Attached: s-l1600[1].jpg (1600x1200, 127K)

orange cleaner/eucalyptus oil and a soft cloth

The performance of the x220 it's alright, not great but it will handle modern web browsing and office work if you use an SSD, you can always go for a x230 if you don't mind the keyboard(it can be changed), and the hardware white list BIOS(it can be removed but you need to flash it).

Will DDR3 RAM prices drop anytime soon? I really want to upgrade my X230 current 8gb ram to the maximum 16gb.
Fuck, why are DDR3 ram prices even going up? Aren't smartphones, the main culprit in this price inflation bullshit, using DDR4? What gives?

Attached: Screenshot_20180331-203416_Firefox Nightly.jpg (1440x2960, 1.13M)

I managed to get my hands on an x220t, and I want to use the pen to take notes. Can anyone recommend good note taking software?

OneNote

rubbing alcohol

Hey Jow Forums,

I want a Thinkpad to replace my current aging portable rig.
Requirements:
Booting Linux with Kali and Windows 7 virtualised in vbox. I also require decent battery life, my current rig is a pain due to internal battery, and due to work conditions, i need to be careful of usage and charge from a generator whenever i get a chance which is not optimal.
Probably will also end up sticking a 500GB SSD and as much memory as it will take.

Price: As cheap as possible, but under AUD$500 would be good. (USD$380 or thereabouts.)

I have been looking at the T430s and T440s on eBay, they look good and within my budget. I am curious about batteries though. Are there any vendors for refurb or after market battery options that anyone can recommend?
Any tips on what to look for in the second hand market are appreciated.
I am open to suggestions about alternate models etc too.

s-models are not so great. Battery life is easy on ThinkPads - get yourself big one + slice battery. It's really depends on performance you need, but IMO T430 would be a balanced choice, with Ivy Bridge being better at both power efficiency and performance. For Linux - just don't get one with dGPU

>Have T430 I custom ordered in 2012
>Notice that watching YouTube videos puts all 4 cores at at least 75%
>Runs hot now
>Notice screen looks bad compared to newer devices
>Disk seems slow
>Recently replaced battery, trackpoint, and a few keys
I think it's starting to get old...

Attached: 5845cd230b2a3b54fdbaecf7.png (1092x1037, 27K)

Replace cooling system, thermal paste, install Gentoo, Profit.

Also install Alienware screen.

I've never taken it apart in the 5 years I've had it. That would probably be good since it could use a SSD upgrade. Tell me more of this Alienware screen.

T430 (also T420?) can use screen from Alienware M14X R2 (and some other laptops, but this one is considered to be the best by some). It's glossy, but still much better than stock one. ThinkWiki has some material on it, but it gives some weird advices. Try looking on reddit or on thinkpad forums, they had some solutions there and comparison.

>Full teardown to the PCB, everything that isn't soldered to the board comes off
>Install better CPU if you can, else leave it on
>full clean of cooling system, dust out your damn heatsinks boy
>replace thermal grease with good thermal paste
>install Alienware screen
>install mSATA SSD for new boot drive
>install Debian
>Maximum RAM
>???
>Profit

Seeet man, ill take a look around, thanks!
Are there any model number designations that represent the presence of dGPU?
Plan is to stick a 3610QM in, are there any particular points to take note of with that goal in mind?

Acetone.
But really, Iso. Alcohol works.

If you're gonna go the 3610QM route, just go full housefire with the 3900XM series

No clue

It looks like the Alienware screen is another 1600x900 TN. What's the point? I already have that with it?

It's a higher-quality 1600x900 TN, you mong.

x220 i want to buy has the entire back covered in a huge sticker, assuming the retard put a wallpaper on his laptop - is there any way to remove it and leave the back looking ok?

if you want a better screen sell the t430 and buy the t530/w530 with the wide gamut auo b156w01v.4 panel. Its TN but its excellent and better than many IPS panels i've seen in laptops.

I'm curious to this as well. I posted here about stickers. I assume that if the sticker has been there a long time then the surrounding area looks faded while the area under the sticker looks new. Nothing you can do about it really I'd imagine.

holy fuck these things are slow

why do you keep shilling 6-7 year old laptops that dont even hold a charge any more?

is to pump up the resale market so you can sell to normie hipsters?

it'll blend in over time

I have no interest in a screen upgrade that isn't IPS and 1080p or better. And if it's expensive well, then I may as well wait it out and buy a new laptop when the time comes.

This is my babby. I'm not selling unless it dies. I still have the receipt. Sadly the box was damaged.

>slow
in comparison to what?
an i7 4800MQ rivals modern desktop cpus

>I have no interest in a screen that isn't IPS and 1080p or better
Triple nigger, we aren't buying these things for the screens anyway. Either deal with the Alienware screen and retain your robustness and (relative) cheapness or go the good goy route and buy your consumer-grade "Gaming" laptop or whatever new shit you'll buy and that will break in a year. Then, when it does break, don't come back to us.

i'm eyeing a t470 with a 1366 panel and no hdd but only 360$, should i go for it? what should i be wary of?

>t470
The entire laptop. Get a T440p.

wouldnt a t440p be much heavier, therefore less portable?, we're talking laptops here.

>heavier, less portable
If you want a light laptop for your manlet arms get an X220.

Is it -really- not advisable to get a t470 for even 350ish? what gives?, its not about the keyboard if you're still recommending the t440p.

it's a good enough laptop user, if you can get a t470 for 350 versus t440p for 150 I'd go for the t470. The processor might be slower, but if you don't plan to do anything heavy on it that doesn't matter. Battery life will be much better, and I'm thinking that t470 will be very modular in the future and will allow for t480 motherboard transplants

i was leaning more onto the fact it is tb3 enabled and, well, battery life, i tend to be away from plugs very often (try living in a shit town with a shit electric infrastructure), decent battery life is a must over perfomance.

as for transplating a t480 mobo in, eventually, i somehow doubt it, unless the idea is punching a hole where the two thunderbolt 3 ports would go into.

>acetone
Terrible idea, that will remove the color from any plastic it touches and if it touches it for long enough it will deform it.

>Triple nigger, we aren't buying these things for the screens anyway
I sure as hell did. When I bought my T430, it was one of the few laptops on the market that you could buy new with a screen resolution larger than 1366x768. The 1600x900 I bought it with was a great upgrade. Even normies would compliment me on it.

>Either deal with the Alienware screen and retain your robustness and (relative) cheapness or go the good goy route and buy your consumer-grade "Gaming" laptop or whatever new shit you'll buy and that will break in a year. Either deal with the Alienware screen and retain your robustness and (relative) cheapness or go the good goy route and buy your consumer-grade "Gaming" laptop or whatever new shit you'll buy and that will break in a year. Then, when it does break, don't come back to us.
Holy shit, you dumb motherfucker. You do realize you don't have to buy a cheapo gaming laptop to get a nice screen right? My work laptop is an EliteBook with a 1080p nice (can't confirm what type, but looks IPS) screen. Perhaps if you had a brain, you'd know this, and maybe be able to do something with your life other than shiposting and being a stay home retard staring at his TN 1366x768 screen all day.

Attached: bd8.png (680x518, 294K)