What's the most inefficient slow programming language working on so many levels of abstraction

What's the most inefficient slow programming language working on so many levels of abstraction.

Attached: __akagi_kantai_collection_drawn_by_sanpatisiki__324152b5c9478b99a98d5d7e1e7c7d58.jpg (810x1141, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sigops.org/sosp/sosp09/papers/klein-sosp09.pdf
wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Op here it's my mom haha

javascript

Is fast actuallt

applescript

Stop ruining my thread

Ruby

Haskell or Lisp

Haskell can be as fast as C and ruby is slower than lisp

you could artificially create one yerself and then claim the title for having created the shittiest lang

Haskell Lisp and Ruby are all interpreted but Ruby is imperative the others are functional and those are slower

Haskell is way faster than you think it is

what about Ruby vs Perl 6 my man

Lisp is compiled so it's not working on too many abstractions.

Smoking is hot.

yeah dude you wanna start smoking with me?

css is turing complete
my money's on that

smelling like ash isnt. no one wants to be around that

i like the smell and im not even a smoker

It isn't. Smokers are one of the three fools of the 21st century. That's not hot.

@TheChocolateAboveMe
You wont get me yous, you guys will always be bottom last.

Also you're wronk.Smokers are hot

Already did, but not regularly.

Smelling bad has a lot to do with hygiene and where they choose to smoke.

This desu

> Smokers are one of the three fools of the 21st century
What are the other two?

Attached: image.jpg (561x785, 183K)

Ruby vs. Perl 6 go.

Javscript is proof that if you put enough effort into the compiler of a language you can make any level of abstraction fast.

So the real question is "which languages have the shittiest compilers/translators?"

Haskell is compile you retard
Most lisp are also compiled

>What are the other two?
Those who can't use computers and those who don't appreciate music.

>raw speed == efficiency

if the syntactic sugar makes developers work easier and make less mistakes that's efficiency to me

Java, not because it's slow, but because it encourages insane levels of abstraction. Dalvik is even fuckin worse

Oh, come on, everything has as much abstraction as Java does these days. Granted you loose something substantial from having the very concept of sequential/aligned data stricken from your repertoire, but that's applies to every language past C++ that isn't trying to be "a better C[++]." Java's real problem isn't its level of abstraction (which I'd argue on a language level is a good deal lower than most modern languages) so much as its abundance of verbose boilerplate and ugly streams. Which really are just enemies of productivity moreso than efficiency. (Although if it takes you that much longer and that much more code to do X, then you're that much less likely to think about whether or not X is optimized properly).

you sound very enlightened

If the language makes it so hard to implement certain things to the point where it discourages it, because of lack of abstraction facilities.
Then I don't think you could call it efficient.

Example : a language in which it's a real nightmare to do parallel computing, will lead to devs trying to avoid parallelizing a lot of the tasks they would otherwise have done. The language might be superfast, if in the end, all the computing is done sequentially, it doesn't matter it will be slower than any other bloated language.

I’ll start with you user.

It's how Kim Jong-il put it.

bimp

Only because it's not used in any real programs. It would be shit in real life.

objective correct answer: bash

PHP

PowerPoint, since powerpoint is turing complete

The JVM has advanced enough though that java isn't that fucking slow and is mostly just a meme. Its easier to make a program with on par performance easier without worry about the nuances of something lower.

bomp

java

>java
>slow

Attached: 1512326411153.jpg (645x729, 135K)

Go away David Lynch.

Music isn't worth being appreciated.

Well, you're among the three greatest kinds of fools of the 21st century.

Cucks Plus plus

Music is disposable garbage and worth nothing. And don't bullshit me about how you listened to Wagner once and felt your existence as a human being and your place in the universe was "justified" because you just sat on your ass listening to shit, it doesn't make you smart.

Well just so you know, Kim Jong-il would have considered you a damn fool. So do I.

Of course he would, music makes a great propaganda tool.

Well I don't think it's just that. He was a man who really appreciated culture, had quite a movie collection too.

That's what he said, yup.

>51 posts and no scala
fuckin ell
Scala's a pretty decent contender, though it's compiled and shit

but that's a stupid thing to say.

Haskell is compiled.
Common Lisp is compiled.
Ruby is slower than all of them but doesn't give a shit what you think.

Attached: 1510571628613.png (616x596, 67K)

What about this language that compiles to ruby

Sounds useful if your application is too fast.

How do I be as cool as your image

>Team Chocolate is actually part of the North Korean propaganda apparatus
I fucking knew it!

Attached: 1502494509185.jpg (549x604, 31K)

Unironically this. Just look at the benchmarks.

It's still very enjoyable to write software in because it's so expressive. But for fast portions you have no choice but to bind to C or run separate processes.

I’m not sure :^(

Damn

Python.
...and i am surprised that noone mentioned it.
Python came here to replace the c/c++ coder with a java monkey that it's too stupid to use brackets and it's conquered every field in cs and ce.
I've seen a lot of shit written in python by retards, i've seen people working years with python on networking and give up when crossing some c tcp/udp socket code.
Python is hands sown the slowest and most inefficient language for the job it's selected to do and most importantly it makes you alow while working with it.

Perl6 is slower

How do I smoke

Do esolangs count?

Why not?

>people unironicaly think java or haskell are slow
i guess anything that isn't C/C++ is just shit then

Smoking aesthetic is sexy as fuck, but the smelling like shit, shit teeth, fingers, and throat cancer aren't.

Haskell is compiled, you stupid cunt. So is common lisp. I'm guessing you don't use either.

Oh, great, it's this fucking guy again.
sigops.org/sosp/sosp09/papers/klein-sosp09.pdf
The specification for seL4 is done in haskell.

wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry
Some big fucking names in that huge list of companies that use Haskell for stuff. Just because you can't wrap your mind around the type system doesn't mean that people don't use it. I bet something like Atelier B / B method specification would make your head explode, but guess what? You need some heavy duty shit to make sure that certain software doesn't fuck up and lead to people dying. The software for the Hong Kong subway was specified with Atelier B, but let me guess, you haven't even heard of it.
You probably also think that there's no use for Coq, Agda, or Idris. Best you can ever hope to be is a pajeet-level dumb faggot code monkey, so hey, stick to your Java or whatever and let the big brains do the big boy heavy lifting. It's the difference between making 80-100k a year and making 250k/yr starting (what I was paid last year to help write specification for the self-driving cars that Uber and Lyft are rolling out) to 500k/yr specifying public transportation and spacecraft. Get fucked, brainlet. I'm glad you don't understand pure functional languages, because it means I never have to work with arrogant cunts like yourself.

Liars

People actually use Ruby. Perl 6 is shit. Perl 5 is still super useful, and better than Rakudo, Python 2 and 3, and Ruby.

Python with the jython interpreter

>perl6 is shit

>what I was paid last year to help write specification for the self-driving cars that Uber and Lyft are rolling out
So you're responsible for killing that woman in AZ? Better neck yourself in penance.

>write specification for the self-driving cars that Uber
rip

Don't fall for the bullshit, literally all of the functional meme languages out there are faster than those dynamic "web scale" shitlangs. Not to mention a million times better equipped to handle concurrency.

She had it coming.

not encouraging that many of the companies listed in that article's websites don't work

Yeah, because Haskell is for webdev. Fucking idiot

? just means that many of the companies there are already bankrupt

Like Google and Facebook and Bank Of America?

Yeah, and that's Haskell's fault??? Whatever, there's no point in arguing with you dumb pieces of shit. Every time this happens, you go HURR DURR NOBODY USES HASKELL, and then you get shown a bunch of counterexamples, and you just keep moving goalposts and burying your heads in the sand and going DURRR NOBODY USES HASKELL because all you understand is C like languages and scripting languages. Fuck off, enjoy your pleb-tier 80k/yr pajeet job. I get paid the big bucks, so FFFFFFFFFFUCK YOU.

why are you strawmanning me? did I say that? why are you being such a defensive retard? you can go check for yourself many companies on that list have none working sites, does that mean anything other than bankruptcy?

That means that companies come and go. Stop moving goalposts - the original statement was that Haskell is
>not used in any real programs

which is objectively false.

Why do people who don't like Haskell because they don't know how to use Haskell act all agnostic about it, and refuse to believe that ANYONE uses Haskell?

Drag, inhale, exhale.

Attached: 081e0ae6317332c56493fcc270740a20.png (719x1000, 365K)

But it's true. Nobody uses Haskell.

Probably either Ruby or PHP. IDK.

IT'S PERL6

I do. I'm a haskell hacker , black hat

>Javscript is proof that if you put enough effort into the compiler of a language you can make any level of abstraction fast.
Actually JavaScript is EZ tier for speculating JIT compilers.
Python and Ruby with their original semantics are impossible tier. They will never get over 10x their bytecode interpreters speed on the average and are proof of the opposite of your statement.

>j-javascript is the most dynamic language
Think again.

Same