What do you think is the less time consuming way to learn programming...

What do you think is the less time consuming way to learn programming? Will paying for online courses save me time or should I just learn all for free?
I already have a job, but it's pretty shitty and I would like to switch to coding(JS, node or python), but I don't want to spend half a decade to do that. I'm aware that it's going to take some time tho, but I want to minimize it.

I have found some guides, any thoughts would be great:

github.com/ossu/computer-science#summary

github.com/P1xt/p1xt-guides/blob/master/cs-wd.md

github.com/P1xt/p1xt-guides/blob/master/job-ready.md

Attached: 1517024342074.jpg (1383x1600, 358K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guru99.com/
rmotr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I’d like to know as well. Here is a source I found guru99.com/ , maybe it will help. There is an abundance of free online. It just depends on your learning style.

There are sites like rmotr.com/ that charge around 350-400$ a month, and I don't know if it's worth it.

Learn by doing
Don't waste time with videos
Start with a small project in the paradigm you want to learm
Read books and use online help (NOT videos)
You have to figure stuff out for yourself. Memorizatiuon isn't important since you can access it all on line; you really, really, really need to understand what you're doing. First step is to know what you don't know....

Start with learning how a computer works. It’ll build a fundamental knowledge that will be essential later on when something doesn’t quite work and you don’t have any real hints or guides on how to fit it.

The biggest benefits to classroom learning or some kind of structured course is
1. You can trust the information is valid. Remember any free guides on the internet could be written by literally anyone.
2. Generally your knowledge is tested in some way to ensure you’re learning what you’re supposed to be learning.

Look for old textbooks. There are many on googledocs and the internet archive. I’m reading one called introduction to computing systems. Some kind user posted a googledocs link. I’m sure you can find it if you look hard enough.

wrong
right

I do not like this lone wolf ideal that seems to have embedded itself in the programming community. If you truly want to learn, you need to figure out what works for you. Just to give a couple of examples:

You may choose to take one of these courses and that works for some people. Sure, it will not make you a master hackzor, but you will have a pretty decent foundation on which to build.

If you are more project-oriented you may choose to make something that helps you and learn programming along the way. That works for some, but not all.

Also you could try to learn programming by teaching it. That might sound wrong, but for some people teaching is the best way to learn.

My personal advice would be to try everything you can think of and stick with what works best for you.

Also on a side note, programming comes in many different flavors - python and JS programming look alike, but have some pretty major differences when it comes to the though process that goes into them.

Good luck.

getting a job without a degree is hard (also, programming is bit of a meme, you won't gain a lot of money quickly, especially if you don't have a degree because companies can use that as excuse why they don't pay you as much). but first of all, stay away from shitty coding boot camps (they are a scam). imo you should take a proper course (or two) and then do a lot of personal projects and learn by doing. Start watching courses made by MIT niggers (opencourseware). If you wan to learn webdev, start with basic html+css then learn vanilla js. after you have mastered vanilla js (and perhaps python) learn nodejs and mysql. pls consider learning java too, because there are a lot of jobs. and Learn to use git.

I don't expect to make a lot of money quickly, but average wages for junior positions in my town (and country) are considerably more than what I make now.
What do you consider a proper course? I finished cs50 (didn't make the final project yet tho), there was c#, python and JS there, and I found most interest in python since it can be used for variety of things, plus I have a few ideas for personal desktop apps. But most jobs where I live are JS related (front end or full stack with node or similar). Most of them don't require a degree.

Thanks all for the advice.

Is learning from a site like Udemy worth it? Everything's on sale and $14 for a 35 hour course doesn't seem bad, but everything is also plastered with "job-ready" memes. Not sure if it's a case of required marketing or genuine garbage for garbage people.

Basic goal is to be able to get a job related to CSc while I'm getting the degree.

Also, I keep seeing people say JS is weird, is it a bad first language?

>I don't want to spend half a decade to do that
You're in for life

it's common knowledge that for most people they learn physically, with actions, and along the way you would ask questions that you would further test with programming. This is the most efficient approach to perfecting programming skills in a certain language.

>is udemy worth it?
I don't have any experience with it, but to me it seems like hit and miss. some courses are good, others are just awful.
>is js a bad first language?
imo, yes. js is bit inconsistent and it allows you to make mistakes and get away with it (if you are lucky).

>I keep seeing people say JS is weird, is it a bad first language?
It's just a bad language. 1/2

Attached: javascript-inconsistencies.jpg (1429x1248, 242K)

2/2

Attached: javascript-inconsistencies2.jpg (473x328, 21K)

>Doesnt know how basic primitive values work in JS
> Blames the entire language

There are several inconsistencies in every programming language. Just because you do some convoluted shit and get weird results doesn't make the language terrible.

The point is you have nothing that notifies you of this convoluted shit. But have fun being a webdev code monkey.

I enjoy learning through video tutorials. They're not the most efficient, time wise, but I learn more if I can code side by side with the person explaining.

LinkedIn bought Lynda some time ago and created a "LinkedIn learning" webpage that has all Lynda courses and more about a bunch of subjects, icludong programming. They're all well executed and they give you "worthless" digital certificates when you finish them that you can insert to your LinkedIn profile/skills.

They have zero actual value, but as far as digital certificates go, they're the best you can get while receiving okay education.

There are plenty of courses on JavaScript and it's technologies there, as well as Java and data science using Python.

>The point is you have nothing that notifies you of this convoluted shit.

Experience and skill.

>But have fun being a webdev code monkey.
Looks like either you're mad that you cannot be a competant web developer, or you're just a kid with nothing better to do. Please go spout your idiotic shit somewhere else and let people learn what they want.

That's 25$/month for everything there right?

Nah, I'm not mad, I just never want to touch webdev again, especially the front-end. But I guess its a barrier of entry for lower difficulty programming. I prefer C++.

>just never want to touch webdev again

So you admit you did try your hand at it, and now you make disparaging comments about the language, which you dont fully understand. Then you go on to make some ludicrous statements about it being a "lower difficulty programming". Seems to me you tried to be a webdev, sucked at it and now have sour grapes. Whatever.

>I prefer C++

For what? Why would you shove C++ into a conversation about JS?

Nice projection you fucking sperg