/pcbg/ - PC Building General

bump limit reached on last one

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. gaming, video rditing, VM work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600/K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / i7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000+ MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-currency miners have driven GPU prices up or depleted stock
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050 Ti- 140 USD; 1060 3GB- $200; 1060 6GB- $230; RX 570 4GB- $170; RX 580 4GB- $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080 Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p
>GTX 1080 Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider M.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: DSC03289-800x534.jpg (800x534, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011084-WW-SPEC-ALPHA-Windowed-Mid-Tower/dp/B017XPPB1M
pcpartpicker.com/guide/#X=130652,184598
pcpartpicker.com/list/hLXpGG
pcpartpicker.com/list/47bZRJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for peep

thoughts on this one? the wifi adapter is needed.

Attached: ryzen build1.png (539x696, 69K)

Is there any 1440p 60Hz monitor with gsync?

Is ryzen 5 1060 enough not to limit my gtx 1060 6g or should i go with the i5 8400????

Where is your cooler the 1600x ryzen has no cooler?

best gpu to overclock if i plan to custom loop the whole thing?
980ti? r9 nano?

No. You could get a 4k 60Hz monitor and put the resolution at 1440p. Or 1440p 144 Hz at 60 Hz.

The Titan V, Friend :)

>AMD
>overclocking

anything above a 1080 you will need intel

>Scythe Mugen 5
it's the second item on the list, user

>specs for fans I'm looking at
>Hyper-spin bearings
what is this?

Attached: hyperspin.jpg (644x344, 66K)

Which power supply brand has the best customer support/warranty?

Attached: 19aed86d973a974ad537a6913be1d681.jpg (500x600, 328K)

it's a type of a bearing

So ryzen 5 1060 will give me the same fps as the i5 8400 with the 1060 gtx GPU?

in graphic-demanding games yes (because you'll be gpu bottlenecked). in old games where there is no gpu bottleneck (like overwatch, csgo, dota, etc) 8400 will give more fps, but if you have only 60hz monitor it doesnt matter anyway.

recommend me a 144hz 1440p monitor with or without gsync, please

got this from a friend
what should I focus on improving first?
what are some tips if I want to do gayming?
are GPUs and RAMs unfucked arealdy?

Attached: file.png (480x367, 18K)

focus on throwing it into the bin

>(you)
>not gay
pick one

Yes

>old games
>bad for cpu
are you dumb?

dude like I got it for fucking free,and I've been using shitty laptops for my entire life
this is like a huge jump for me

I'm seeing a lot of mining rigs going on sale on my local craigslist. I'm waiting for crypto to crash some more and for people to just sell the cards and hardware as individual items instead of the entire unit.

I think i'd buy a used 1080ti at like 500.

Things that should be illegal:

* case windows

Attached: cure.png (500x403, 105K)

You're already at the max with RAM for that motherboard, and a higher end CPU wouldn't be too much of an upgrade. I'd say an upgrade for that computer would be a new CPU and motherboard combo (requires a DDR3 upgrade too). If you're looking for deals. You could keep your eyes up for a replacement LGA775 motherboard that supports more than 4GB RAM, or a LGA1366 or LGA2011 motherboard. Those higher end systems can have very cheap CPUs available for them (look at the Xeon line), but the motherboards can be somewhat expensive.

In it's current configuration, it should be good enough for common desktop tasks, including high definition video (not 4k).

An SSD upgrade is nice for any computer, but 3.5" HDDs are fine desu.

I think the tempered glass meme can look decent, but it is pretty lame how so many make decent enough cases, but insist on keeping tg and windowed side panels as the only option.

Too many bad ideas or options that only pander to gamers.

you will be bottle necked by ram and cpu desu. if you are aiming for 1080p gayming on med-high you can still get by with a modern gpu. i say just aim for a 1060 for this build. Maybe find some cheap ddr2 ram that is compatible to at least get 8gb.

Does Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM work well with Ryzen?

* AMD CPUs
* any Radeon cards with "GAMING" in the name

no. it's the worst ram to buy for ryzen.

>tfw fell for the window meme
>tfw don't have any friends to show my cool hardware off to
>tfw can't even admire it myself because the window faces a wall

Attached: transformers (ISIS edition).webm (406x720, 824K)

Is the Ryzen 5 1600x worth getting over the 1600 for a $25 difference? The 1600x is currently $200 on amazon versus the 1600 for $175.

one stick of 4gb ddr4 ram costs more than this entire setup

Attached: ryzen oc max freq 3.png (705x453, 25K)

What I would do on the same budget:
-Forget about 50 bucks cooler
-Get cheaper RAM with lower clocks
-Get Ryzen 1700 which comes with a decent stock cooler

Which gives you much more performance 8/16 vs 6/12 without overclocking and less power wasted, which is MANY times better than higher clocked RAM.

I also heard that Scythe Mugen wriggles because it's fixed by only by two screws, so if you like Scythe that much -- get Scythe Fuma.

in gayming overclocked 1600x will be better 90% of the time rather than stock 1700

I don't know exact amount of money he would save by getting 2400hz ram, but he probably could get a 1700X

slower ram lowers the performance of ryzen by quite a lot. he probably doesn't need 8cores so why waste money on them

>are you dumb?

You are dumb. That's not what he said. Because older games are less intense for the GPU, the CPU will be the bottleneck.

Looking at making a home server, but don't want it to be super power thirsty.

With that in mind, DDR4 with Ryzen or DDR3 with Intel?

Want to build a midtower for audio work, video editing, and occasional gaming. 16, preferably 32GB RAM. What would I be looking at for a budget build? $1200?

DDR4 with Xeon-D or Atom C3000 series
Ryzen has too many bugs in most Linux-based operating systems to make it worth it. Support for Denverton and Broadwell-D has been stellar, on the other hand.

I currently have an AM1 5350, which isn't strong enough. So would these chips be a good enough improvement?

dont listen to this idiot

Should I get a Ryzen 5 1600 now or hold out for the 2500/2600?

Denverton Atoms are more powerful than Jaguar AM1 APUs, but use slightly less power on a per core basis. If you need something with more single-threaded pull, the Xeon-D 1518, 1521, or even the Pentium D-1508 are better choices since they're Broadwell architecture-based, not Atoms. Single-thread performance is about over twice the amount you get from your Athlon.

You've clearly haven't tried to undervolt a Ryzen 5 1400 for a 24/7 CentOS server.

Don’t bother upgrading, it belongs in a museum

Its literally right around the corner. Why not?

Yeah he's actually providing information. Just calling someone an idiot isn't a good retort.

>You've clearly haven't tried to undervolt a Ryzen 5 1400 for a 24/7 CentOS server.
What did you expect from running something out of spec?

How much longer till the sales start?

Attached: 1465928633610.jpg (775x837, 49K)

i7 6700k, i am tempted to get the r7 1700 is it same or worse at gaming 1080p?

Same to at worse in some situations

As in? ive searched for benchmarks but i always get some retarded comparisons like the r7 1700 @3.8ghz vs i7 7700k @5.1Ghz which is a bit biased, i am currently running my i7 6700k @4.0ghz cause OCing didnt made a difference in gaming that much.

It had nothing to do with it running out of spec and everything to do with unfinished or buggy support for key features and architectual changes in Zen.

How are overclocking benchmarks biased? Intel is capable of breaching the 5.0GHz wall, while Ryzen struggles to get past 3.8GHz with any stability

Damn, then i am keeping this CPU until AMD releases something that demolishes it in all scenarios...damn

Attached: 1520876943249.jpg (720x736, 94K)

Why did you bring up undervolting then? And which features were missing or buggy?

don't get memed into ryzen, your 6700k after OC is still way ahead in gayming, especially at 1080p. unless you have other usage for 8 cores you'll be just wasting money.
at least wait until 7nm if you want to switch.

But those cores are so shiny..lel nah senpai i am not getting memed by AMD again, i bought fx 8150 back in the day and it fucking sucked for games, i managed to sell it to a pro photographer that used an i3 to render his work and told him my fx was beyond of an i7(he didnt knew shit about PCs) so he took the bait and i made the change to my current i7 6700 build.I though ryzen was good for games, but it has subpar perfomance on every benchmark ive seen on the internet...

How to build pc with 128gb of ddr4 and intel cpu with integrated GPU

on ARC i can only find up to 64GB cpu-s(i dont want xeon )

What bugs are present in Ryzen?

Undervolting because believe it or not, Zen at 0.89V uses less power than Broadwell-D while hitting higher clocks (2.85GHz on mine, Broadwell-D barely hits 2.7GHz on a single-core Turbo). He asked for a not-thirsty home server build, which Ryzen would have been able to meet had it not been for
>hard crashes running NGINX and Apache caused by "missing libraries" (error is bullshit, btw, Ryzen supports the missing libraries but it just won't work on my 1400)
>unresponsive with an Intel i350-T4 when using port teaming
>cron jobs not working if the computer is on for more than a day; what's the point of a server if you have to restart every 20 hours
>memory faults, my god the memory faults
>ECC is not fully supported on almost every single AM4 motherboard out there; mine was a Gigabyte Gaming 5, which by all accounts should support ECC RAM
>PCIe passthrough devices not working at all after a reboot; normally wouldn't be a problem, but see the cron job problem
>ESXi still not support on latest 6.5 update

Meanwhile Denverton has been on the market for the same period of time as Threadripper, but everything works as intended. Never had a single hard fault or needed a reboot with my Atom C3758. It's less powerful, but it uses a lot less power for the same amount of threads, more PCIe lanes, and native 10GbE PHYS.

Is there a big difference between single and dual channel ram? I have 8gb 2x 4gb and want to upgrade to 16gb with 1x 8gb and I think this will put me on single chanel.

Pic related - it depends entirely upon what sort of workload you are using at any given time. Some software gives zero fucks, others devour ram bandwidth like americans inhale burgers.

Attached: 8ball.gif (1020x1039, 160K)

depends on the game

>subpar perfomance on every benchmark ive seen on the internet

Well here is one benchmark to break that trend.

Attached: JK2akKE.png (948x763, 58K)

>Russians
T...thanks...a..user...

it's gonna put you into flex mode (google it).

>no coffee lake
into the trash it goes

I was about to buy an i7-7700, is it really that bad?

You can get a six-core 8700 for the same price

A nice monitor for gaming paired with a 1050ti?

>moon ruins
what?

just looking at this image will make you vote for donald trump

these russians are crafty

are most movies 21:9? should i get a monitor mostly for movies then?

That case looks nice and all but I wouldn't pay $100 dollars for it desu. Maybe consider getting something a bit cheaper and putting what you saved into the actual components of your computer. But if that's the case for you then you know whatever floats your boat.

I got a problem with my PC and I sort of need help anons.
The problem I have I'm sure is airflow. Specifically the GPU is causing me trouble. I got a 390X (Asus Strix model, yeah. Cheapest I could get back in 2016), and one of the fans doesn't work properly. It doesn't spin very fast. But even that isn't the issue I'm sure. The CPU (6700k) has one of those cheap liquid coolers. Even when playing an intense game it only usually uses like 30% cpu power and has temps of like 48-50 degrees (60-65 if the case door is on but I'm guessing its heat radiation from the 390X causing that)
The problem is hot air is building up in my case and I can't seem to get it to leave quick enough. The GPU temp rapidly reaches 78 and then constantly climbs and climbs a degree every minute or two. The 390X gets up to like 90 degrees in half an hour. That's insane. Its designed to run hot I know, but not so hot its causing everything else to get hot too.
But when I take the side panel off and run the same high end games (Witcher 3, Sea of Thieves, and Doom at 1080p max settings I'm using to test it) it caps out at just 71 degrees on full load. If I point a cheap little desk fan into the bottom of the case that goes down further to 68 degrees Celsius.
So where do you think I've gone wrong with the fans?

1: what case are you using and what's your fan setup?
2: try RMAing the card if you can. I imagine it's still under warranty.

Two problems with the RMA idea.
1. I got it July 2016. I'm not sure how long Asus's manufacturer warranty for graphics cards actually is for. One year I'm boned, two years, maybe I'm ok.
2. I bought it from Maplins which have gone under administration so could have potential issue there too.

Case I'm using is a Corsair Carbide Spec Alpha.
amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011084-WW-SPEC-ALPHA-Windowed-Mid-Tower/dp/B017XPPB1M

I got a stock 290x (my brothers spare card) and my old card, a Sapphire 4gb 270X I could fall back on.

Why is this thing so damn fucking expensive?
what the fuck

Attached: eda81d3d-dba9-4c93-ad7e-ba49f6e74a2c.jpg (1166x650, 237K)

Hey guys. Super new fag here. I want to get a PC for gaming.

My budget is $1700 and I want to build it since that route seems cheaper. So what is the best build out there that is under $1700 but will last me like 5 years.

pcpartpicker.com/guide/#X=130652,184598

Looking at this shit right here. Doesnt seem bad.

Or is it worth building a $1000 PC when I can get something as good that'll last me years for under that?

Depending on where you live, consumer laws might protect you. Like in norway, retailers have to provide a warranty-like service for 2-5 years after purchase.

If you do send it in, yoiu might have to pay for shipping and testing. So you should be really sure something is wrong with the card. If the fan seems to run under heavy load, and it doesn't rattle or make a grinding sound, I don't think it is an issue that can be RMAd.

It is also very common for the R9 290 to reach 90C. I assume the same is true for the R9 390. They start to throttle at 95C, so if it sits at 90C, it should be fine. If taking the side panel off makes such a huge difference to temperature, I think you should either replace the case, or fix the airflow issue (shouldn't need more than 2-3 120/140mm fans).

I submitted a tech support email to ASUS anyway just now. The fan does make some light grinding sounds when its first activated and it spins real slow and inconsistently. I suspect the bearings in the fan have gone bad.
Getting the part is not easy. £15 and a long wait from China seems to be the best option on that from research. Or like taking the fan cover off and cable tying some case fans to the damn thing (cost like £10 to get a case fan, I got one spare in my room as is)
I got another PC case brand new in box funnily enough. A less flashy Carbide 300R I was saving for an arcade machine build (I was going to rebuild my FX8350 pc into my arcade machine that currently hosts a Pi since the Pentium 4 PC died in it). That has a side panel that has two fan slots. I guess I could rebuild the PC into that. I also got a Rosewill Capstone Gold 750W rated PSU I could switch for the CX750M I currently use.

Ironically I need to RMA my Samsung monitor too since thats having issues as well. It's like everything has decided to malfunction on me all at once. I dread whats next.

are ryzen+ cpus compatible w/ a b350m motherboard? i already have one purchased but no cpu, and i'm waiting on the 2600

Water cooling isn't worth it, is it? It's just a waste of time and a hazard to your PC, right?

>It's like everything has decided to malfunction on me all at once
That's how it goes. I had to RMA my CPU, motherboard, and one HDD this winter. All failed within a couple of months of each other. I can go years without a single issue with anything, then a lot of things fail at once. The parts that failed weren't even in the same computer.

Sure. The bigger radiator is nice, but most don't need it. Building a custom loop seems more for people that are interested in custom loops.

I bought a new mobo and i3, paired it with a 1050. Plays most games perfectly, got it for kingdom come. Went with an SSD and new case too, also bought the xbone controller for pc. All together, $600 for unlimited free pirated games.

Pretty much. Unless you're doing extreme overclocking, put in a custom loop, and actually do something that needs the overclocking.
Most people that do the first two fail at the third.

The i3 and 1050 are shit tier parts, though. You are already out of date.

I hate to ask for help, but I think I need it:

pcpartpicker.com/list/hLXpGG

>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
$600-$700 USD

>List your uses, e.g. gaming, video editing, VM work
Linux workstation (programming, web design, school work) and emulation (Dolphin, PCSX2) at 1080p. I may need to use Windows 10 in the future.

I selected the wireless card only because it had good reviews and was on the cheaper side, but I do need one. As for storage, should I get a 2TB HDD instead of the SSD? I'd like to avoid having both.

>G4560
You know you can get used i5 2500 systems for $110, right?

How about a used workstation? A Z420 is about 200-400 dollars. you get a quad core at least, with options for 6 cores. You can upgrade to cheap higher end Xeons later. Been thinking about getting one for myself, but I already have better computers around.

Yeah, but I bought them for cheap. 1050 was $150 and the i3 was $100. The reason I went with these is that I'm waiting for price of cards to fall and ill get an i7 and a 1080 or 1070ti. I also have a cheap o monitor, its 1440 but only 60hz I think.
Cool thing is, I got a mobo compatible with the new chips and can easily upgrade to the big boy card too with my 750w power supply. Just getting back into gaming and didn't want to waste money on current gen consoles.
pcpartpicker.com/list/47bZRJ

How fast does 1TB fill up for a gaming rig? Im split between a 1tb WD or a 2tb seagate but $20 extra is a lot cause poor fag

Thats quite a blow user.
Quick question before bedtime anons, if I use this case and have two fans on the side panel would it be better for both of them to push out/pull in air or one pushes and the other pulls assuming my graphics card fans are pointing downwards into the bottom of the case and the radiator for the cpu is mounted to the front?
I assume I want air to pull in from the front of the case and push out from the back right?
I often feel like I should just cough up the £100 and get a Kracken G12 and a corsair H45/55 assuming its compatible.

I would simply skip the fans on the side, and just have 2-3 intake in the front, and one exhaust in the back. The pressure from the intake should take care of the rest. Mostly due to tradition, and it works for me. Experiment and figure out what works for you. When you already have an extra case, you wouldn't have to spend any money on experimentation anyways.

That really depends on a lot, what games you're into namely. If you like Indie games they're usually pretty small, mainstream games can balloon to ~40gb on their own.

There's no such thing as a 1070ti. The reason your mobo is compatible with the more powerful CPUs is because there's only one type of mobo for the new CPUs right now. It's the chipset for the over clock capable CPUs. It's kind of bad value to get any 8000 series intel CPU that isn't able to do over clocking, because you are already paying extra for the overclocking mobo.

I’ve survived on 500gb on my xb1 for 4 Years now so apparently I don’t play enough games lol.

Also heard that seagate drives are notorious for failing? And that wd is much better? Any opinion on that?