I consider myself a pretty smart person...

I consider myself a pretty smart person, always been interested in technology but as soon as I come to Jow Forums i feel like a fucking retard. My home board is Jow Forums i'm worth a little more than a million, even though i'm worth that much i feel like a fucking idiot when it comes to technology, I really think this might be one of the smarter boards on the site.

Being said that I am from Jow Forums and don't know much about technology, I come here to ask whats a cheap way to go about getting a rig that i can run 3 monitors on and trading software without the computer lagging. I currently run ThinkorSwim for trading but my computer sometimes struggles running it and i'm thinking about running other 3rd party data streams. Would it be cheaper to buy just some desktop that is set up to do run three screens or build it? I'm not trying to do anything serious like over clock it or play any serious games on it besides roller coaster tycoon or maybe a battlefield.

Sorry if this question seems stupid I just don't really know because i'm tired of my shit lagging while in the middle of a trade and i'm not smart enough to figure out computer hardware and don't want to get ripped off by some guy at best buy

Attached: 1520055060666.jpg (344x400, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.newegg.com/products/1VK-0001-0ZU07
m.newegg.com/products/9SIA24G5NG8140
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883101354
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883221344
g.sicp.me/books/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EON40CS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522646341&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Power+supply&dpPl=1&dpID=51Zd5PuGxSL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just fucking buy a prebuilt. You cryptoniggers jacked up GPU prices so high it's no longer significantly cheaper to build your own PC.

Attached: pokemon_0.jpg (469x354, 20K)

Same DESU except I know nothing about bitcoins.

He's only a trader, and not a cryptonigger miner.

>You cryptoniggers jacked up GPU prices
im not really a cryptocuck, i have crypto but only a few grand worth, my main source of income comes from real estate and stocks (pennystocks and nasdaq), crypto was just a hype imo and you just had to get it while the getting was good. Only crypto i'm still very optimistic about is bitcoin because they made a futures market around it, but really, i enjoy stock trading much better than crypto trading simply because i don't understand tech but i understand corporations and how stocks trade in relation to the corporation they happen to be attached to

yeah, basically, and im not even a crypto trader, i just really need to figure something out because i trade penny stocks and there have been a few times my thinkorswim crashes right in the middle of a $10,000 trade. I currently have a lenovo laptop with intel i5 running windows 10

Install Gentoo

Attached: when-you-have-to-work.jpg (600x473, 41K)

Buy a used 1070 and an 8350. That'll do you good

>Same DESU except I know nothing about bitcoins.
Bitcoins are at a fixed supply, unlike gold where it's scarce, meaning they're not really sure how much gold is out there, bitcoin is fixed meaning the more people that, buy, hold and use it, it will eventually go up due to the fixed supply and increasing demand, there is no centralized bank that pumps out more bitcoin which would devalue the price, so bitcoin would be considered "deflationary" IF everyone where to switch to that system of currency

With computer components being as fucked as they are inpricing, it's probably better just to buy a prebuilt. It really depends though, what's your budget?

i don't really want to buy any used parts, would i be able to buy a desktop and just change out the graphics card and run 3 screens without lagging out? or would i have to replace other cards? sorry if these seem like these would be obvious answers but i really have no fucking clue

>it's probably better just to buy a prebuilt. It really depends though, what's your budget?
i was thinking about $1k just for the tower then get cheap screens and upgrade as i go? Is that possible?

You're good. Buy a decent $1000 pre built, make sure you're not getting jewed out with the ram and cpu cooler, and just change the PSU. It'd be much more beneficial for your investments safety to build your own, however.

Think or swim is a hog for computer resources and even if you throw to tier hardware like a 8700k at it overclocked with a 32 GB of RAM, it may still have issues depending on what you want to do. That being said, the suggestion is to get someone to help you build you a desktop computer that can run this without breaking the bank or getting advice from them on a prebuilt computer. You may have to spend over 2k overall to get your desired results but since what you do is worth a lot more than that, it should be peanuts.

if i were to buy a prebuilt what brands or what models would you suggest? I was going to buy whatever i get from newegg they seem to be pretty reputable just not sure on what brand or model

>Think or swim is a hog for computer resources
my broker is TDameritrade so i don't really have many options unless i change brokers but most other brokers are complete assholes when it comes to the type of trading i do.

>You may have to spend over 2k overall to get your desired results but since what you do is worth a lot more than that, it should be peanuts.
i may be a business man worth a good chunk of money but i'm still a cheap fuck

I should be able to run 3 screens without overclocking it no?

>I really think [Jow Forums] might be one of the smarter boards on the site.
Jow Forums is honestly retarded. The posters here all have entry-level knowledge and just shitpost about things they don't understand. Most of which are transplants from /v/ who continually shitpost about GPUs or CPUs, or pseudo-intellectuals who believe Linux distros are all drastically different and have to install a different one just to get the DE they want. That being said, nowadays there's also a large portion of users who are just straight up newfags who don't have a clue about technology.

The people who actually knew what they were taking about were from /prog/, the remnants of which live on in the /dpt/ general. Don't feel bad though, if you're genuinely interested in programming, there are plenty of online resources available (the Jow Forumsentoomen library is top tier, if you're at all interested in learning).

Attached: 1513906876376.jpg (690x697, 296K)

My thoughts are is you need a good internet connection, fastest single core speeds, and somewhere around 16 GB or 32 GB of RAM in order of importance. GPU shouldn not matter as long as multimonitor works on it with appropriate amount of display outputs and etc.

The only only reason I said it may cost more is because going prebuilt on those specs and monitors depending on how good of a display you want would have the possibility to break that price tag.

You can obviously save more but it would require knowing how to build and knowing what tradeoffs you may or may not want to go with to save money. Choice is yours obviously.

Not OP but where can i find this library?

>I currently have a lenovo laptop with intel i5 running windows 10
While not terrible, there's definitely room for improvement. Honestly, you need to get something that can multitask like a mofo to make sure you don't get unexpected hangups caused by random background shit, so prioritize getting a workstation cpu like an amd threadripper/epyc, or intel xeon, and load up on the ram (at least 16gb to be safe). Toss in an ssd and a low-to-mid range gpu and your should be good to go.

This. Although I don't think the only real Jow Forumsentoomen are in programming generals. People answering in sqt usually aren't bad as well as friendly Linux generals when it's not autistic de wars

m.newegg.com/products/1VK-0001-0ZU07
This one is good if you find a small form factor GPU and replace the PSU

m.newegg.com/products/9SIA24G5NG8140
This one is good but you'd probably get two monitors max out of it

m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883101354
Comes with a 1050ti

m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883221344
Has a 1060 but a slightly weaker CPU

I'd recommend changing the PSU if you get ones with GPUs in them already

wiki.installgentoo.com
Unironically

This is also a very safe choice to make

g.sicp.me/books/

It's a fairly large torrent, but there are enough seeders to allow for leeching individual files.

Thank you

Attached: 1452268954725.jpg (2362x1575, 593K)

>My home board is Jow Forums
Stopped reading.
Obviously youre a poor, dumb nigger with a sub 20 IQ.

Thank you my Jow Forumsood sir

Attached: 1452258236494.jpg (1820x1210, 321K)

It's still cheaper to get a pre-built/laptop (imo more convenient) right now.

Crypto fags ruined pc building.

when buying a prebuilt is there a way to know by looking at the specs if it'll run three monitors?

my internet connection is good it's just my computer lags, i have alot of business documents on it which i plan to keep on it and keep it only for business documents and not trading. The new computer would be for strictly trading and shitposting stock social media. The display doesn't have to be incredible, i just have to be able to run a few different trading software and not have my computer freeze up in the middle of a trade. I need the three screens due to, monitoring trades im in, monitoring trades im looking to get in and to shit post on social media sites talking about stocks

awesome man thanks, i'm going to look into these, except the one you think id probably only get two screens max out of it.

>I'd recommend changing the PSU if you get ones with GPUs in them already
can you briefly explain this?

The PSU is the power supply and most companies jew out on these since people don't find them important when they're the most important. I'd recommend EVGA or Corsair for a decent one. Don't get anything below bronze rated.

Here's one for example
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EON40CS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522646341&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Power+supply&dpPl=1&dpID=51Zd5PuGxSL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Thank you guys for all the replys, basically i got out of it to buy a prebuilt and change the PSU and if i were to build my own get someone to help me?

>Don't get anything below bronze rated.
thanks, your post have really helped me in the right direction, i was thinking i was going to have to pay someone thousands to build me a rig.

Anytime my fellow Jow Forumsommando.

Pre-built computers typically have pretty underwhelming PSUs. They typically only have enough power cables to power only the hardware the computer was configured for and are typically of lower-quality and worse power efficiency than ones you can buy. This user is entirely right, but if you do buy a PSU DON'T SKIMP OUT ON IT! There are many horror stories of Anons buying cheap PSUs and end up killing all of their components.

Yeah, if are going to buy the parts yourself, get a buddy that knows what he's doing so build it. Hope you become mega jew and all your stocks moon

>Hope you become mega jew and all your stocks moon
i've been trading for years, i no longer look for moons just trying to hit them singles and doubles.

If you are currently in stocks, watch LIGA, MYDX, GRCK, BGFV and ODP.

if you do buy a PSU DON'T SKIMP OUT ON IT! There are many horror stories of Anons buying cheap PSUs and end up killing all of their components.
thanks ill make sure to keep that in mind when i finally make my purchase, i have these bookmarked so i can go through them some more, they're all in price range

Nah, I don't do stocks. I'm a /comfy/ neet for now. Glad I could help you tho

really was a big help, i can't explain how lost i am when it comes to this shit, im saving this thread just so i can read back through it when i make my purchase lol

this,
/sci/(some of it), /lit/ and /diy/ are 10x better then Jow Forums will ever be
Jow Forums and most popular boards are shit thanks to normies