Signal 4.17 released

>Unlock Signal's screen without lifting a finger (from the fingerprint reader on your phone that is now supported).

>Choose unique sounds for your favorite conversations.

>A brand-new and fully revamped backup feature replaces the legacy import and export options.

>You can enable an optional Registration Lock PIN that will be required in order to register your phone number with Signal again.

github.com/signalapp

Attached: lxFDD-4n.png (512x512, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients
youtube.com/watch?v=eEYVWmLVkF4
securemessagingapps.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck off marketer.

t. telegram shill

Sounds great. Especially the backup feature. Version 4.17.5 is already available via F-Droid

Signal is not on F-Droid.

Wire > Riot > Signal

Attached: Comparison of IMs.png (827x560, 104K)

Since Riot uses matrix, you can just use a different application/server and it doesn't affect any of your contacts, etc.

Did you even read the thread ?

>hurr give us ur phone number
Why even bother with such a service?

Where?

Which one to chose for sending cheesey pizza?
Asking for a friend

Tox rules them all motherfuckers!

This is why I refuse to use fagnal

What's a good alternative, that's open source and has anonymous sign up and is decentralized

Tox.chat and Ring.cx

a throwaway email works right?

>Target sdk still 25
Into the trash it goes

Attached: Screenshot_20180402-175510.png (818x537, 51K)

Reminder that Firefox leaks your ip address to the open web.

Ring and Riot.im

how do I prevent this?

>anons shilling IM apps
You need to realize all this shilling doesn't work, you WILL use what the normies you want to talk to use.
My boss exclusively uses viber, while my family uses telegram and my wife uses duo.

uBlock Origin > disable pre-fetching

>you WILL use what the normies you want to talk to use.
No I won't. They'll use whatever I use. How beta are you?

Nope, signal needs your fucking phone number to set up an account

>They'll use whatever I use
How self centric are you?
>Hey guys, I don't use that app because it doesn't respect your freedom, use < X > app, no it's not on the store so you need to sideload it, sideload? oh, it means you need to download the apk, install it, then use it, the conversation? no it won't be migrated over, features? no it just for texting why you need bloat? updating? no, you need to do that manually....Guys? where are you going? why are you ignoring me?

Burn in hell, faggot.

>unlock with fingerprint
now it's even less secure!
>unique sounds
useless feature creep
>revampled backup features
shouldn't be backing shit up in the first place
>register phone with signal
jesus fucking christ

>How self centric are you?
Just as much as any other person

An app not being open source should be an immediate disqualifier, and not just one "red flag".

If a piece of software is proprietary, all bets are off in regards to its security.

Attached: 1510833736144.gif (257x200, 1.24M)

Your hardware is proprietary

Correct

>Not using a custom built Raspberry Pi rig in the current year

Raspberry Pi is not open source

what's the open web?

not killing yourself because you're not open source

>but muh dna

but muh machinecode

This.

So Wire is the definitive, secure open source messaging app?

Yes. It's a shame their desktop client is poorly made.

Ah, crud. Poorly made how? That might be a deal breaker for me, I need the desktop client to be good. It's the main reason I even bother with Telegram tbqh

>look at all these Signals, Wires, Riots and Telegrams! so much choice, surely one of them will be good
>oh dear, looks like they all suck in one way or another
>looks like i'm sticking with Skype, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger

It's better than any Tox client desu
I like it.

the web version is alright. there's no RPM for it. i've had issues with video chats and screen sharing. i hope they carry on improving it though.

I'm trying to get my family to transition to a more secure messaging app. I personally like how Threema looks but from what I've seen, it doesn't support video calling (yet, if ever), which is a required feature. The licensing also kind of sucks since it would make it more difficult to convince people to switch to it.

I had already installed Signal before remembering about Wire. Aside from Signal being based in the US, any reason for me switch over to Wire?

If I have to use a messaging app with video calling, I sure as hell don't want to use WhatsApp or Viber, or anything in that tier.

also they need a PWA

Electron

Here's from personal experience. It's functional and perfectly stable, just doesn't seem to be a priority right now.

Attached: Wire.png (1550x856, 249K)

Surespot

I just tried out the .deb on Debian Sid and I have this strange bug that I also experienced with Signal Desktop. I'm using i3, and whenever I get a message, the messaging program just freezes up, and must be restarted for me to be able to see the message.

Web version works fine though.

I wonder if AppImage version would be any different

no, read their privacy policy. You can get banned for commiting crime and they have all your contacts

So which one do you prefer

i use signal but am looking into decentralized e2e messaging

>Server open source
Signal shills get out
Also
>Not using XMPP

>can't convince my normalfag friends to switch to Signal or Wire

Attached: AmericanKirby.jpg (476x357, 17K)

Telegram is just fine for me but thanks anyway

See

Are there bots, stickers, and my friends in the platform?
>no
Well guess I know what I'm using then

kill yourself fuck wit

Facebook messenger has pizza ordering bots

>people use IM apps for anything but Jow Forums groups
All my friends just text eachother. Like with our phone numbers...

Just don't talk to them otherwise. Worst case scenario, you lose some friends. Ponder over if you think it's worth it or not. I stopped using discord, and I talk to my friends far less now. But it was worth it. I'd rather have no friends than be forced to use botnets like that.

SMS is plaintext over the air. Your service provider is performing analytics on what you text and sells that information.

That's just the SDK they are building it against.

Hmm, looks to me like Signal is winning there apart from some arbitrarily placed red flags.

>now it's even less secure!
You don't have to use it. Adding it as an option does not reduce the overall security.

>shouldn't be backing shit up in the first place
Are you for fucking real?

>>register phone with signal
>jesus fucking christ
Signal is an SMS app, just like iMessage. It's kinda important that it needs your phone number and this lock is there so that if someone, say, takes out your SIM card and sticks it in another phone they can't just re-register in Signal and get messages that are sent to you.

but I'm already on 4.18

Trash chart - riot has basically 0 red if you host your own server which is the only secure solution.

>they have all your contacts
Nobody cares. They could easily fix this in future. Same how they released the server source code along with Signal releasing it, and enabled encryption by default.
>crime
e2e encryption, they wouldn't know if you're committing a crime. Just don't name yourself "drug_dealer69" and you'll be fine.

Signal is not an option since it needs a SIM card.

Switch, anyone who's your friend will at least use one of those to contact you.

>bots
They exist for wire and riot
>stickers
Useless bloatware. Wire supports GIFs.

>SMS
Featureless, insecure and outdated technology. Also requires SIM cards.

>arbitrarily
Like what? As far as I'm concerned it's far behind Wire simply because it's too dependant on having a mobile number. Wire can be used even if you're not interested in the mobile version or don't use SIM cards.

It's comparing the defaults. And you don't host a "riot" server, you host a matrix server. It's not comparing protocols.

More like Signal > Wire looking on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients
Just see how much data Wire is storing and even unencrypted form, kinda lame...

>when they do it its ok
>when I do it it's self-centric
Man up you pathetic little beta faggot. I forced my peers to use conversations when I abandoned telegram for their homebrew crypto and overall shit security and whatsapp for basically being illegal and a Facebook spy

Pls respond
This happens with signal-desktop too.

>has your phone number
literal botnet.

youtube.com/watch?v=eEYVWmLVkF4

Disregard the title of the video, listen to what Snowden says.

>Signal is the gold standard right now for security
>If you don't want to share your phone number for it, register it with a burner number with one of those apps that let you do that
>Alternatively, use Wire

Attached: 1511121140880.jpg (732x454, 174K)

> Riot
> Are the app and server open source? No

... Are you fucking retarded? Not only is Matrix free software, it's federated.

> Can messages be read by the company? Yes.

If "the company" is the Riot folks, you're wrong. Technically the operators of the Matrix homeserver (if you're using it) can read you messages, but only if you don't use encryption (which you should be).

Also

> self-destructing messages

Literally the most useless feature. When I used Signal, I would use the "conversation prune" feature (which is *actually* useful) because what I care about is if *my* phone is taken from me that the amount of data on it is limited.

>still no desktop version
>still requires phone number
>still no 2FA
>still no video call

nice try

The desktop client has existed for a long time Dude

it's garbage and can hardly be considered a desktop version

But that means no notification channels, no notification badges, no notification snoozing, no Picture in Picture etc

Shill thread

Source: securemessagingapps.com/
Send him an email asking for the explanation.

>Not only is Matrix free software
But riot.im server itself isn't, which is the point. Stop confusing a protocol with servers, services and apps.

>If "the company" is the Riot folks, you're wrong
This is comparing the defaults, which have all forms of encryption disabled.

>self-destructing messages
>Literally the most useless feature
Agreed.

no