Will Linux ever be a viable alternative to windows?

Will Linux ever be a viable alternative to windows?

Attached: 1520049435964.jpg (720x650, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4
computerworld.com/article/2939435/government-it/us-navy-paid-millions-to-stay-on-windows-xp.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>lunch group

But Linux already is.

The only thing it misses, kind of, is gaming support.

it works for me, at work I use macos and at home I use Linux.

There is no need for windows at all.

Not only that, it also misses professional programs like photoshop and solidworks and even something as simple as turning off mouse acceleration requires knowledge of the terminal

Not until all games are supported. That's the simple fact of the matter. No amount of autistic neckbeard screeching will change that fact.

>this feature requires knowledge of using a computer

???

Attached: 0180402_095028.png (1280x800, 281K)

Windows doesn't support all games either.

Stop speaking out of your asshole. Even if you had to use the terminal, it’s as simple as copy and pasting from the first google result. Windows actually turns mouse acceleration back on even if you turn of off from the mouse settings; it requires the user to change registry values to permanently turn off. You tell me which one is easier.

I dualboot Win10 and Ubuntu Server, it's really comfy. Need it for Docker and general hypervisor tasks, so I stuck i3wm on it, no regrets.
As for practical desktop use, not until X11 dies.

Yep, no proper DAWs either. It's the only reason I'm still on Mac

Not until it gets rid of fragmentation and slight annoyances will it become an actual viable alternative as a daily driver OS for normal people. I use Debian and Ubuntu containers on Proxmox on my server for all my storage and media purposes and have no issues, but for desktop usage it’s always been little stuff that drives me away. Just a few things:

- Software is not intended to be portable most of the time, need to install everything even if all I wanted to do was crop a photo for example, I can’t just download a small portable simply editor and do what I wanted. I have to install it, along with all its dependencies, then uninstall it when I’m done, which isn’t a huge pain, it’s just unnecessary if the software was just made portable.

- There is no universal “media is playing” screen dim lock as demonstrated on Windows or Mac OS, your DE or program specifically has to provide that. For example, on Openbox, you couldn’t watch YouTube without the screen dimming until both the Firefox and Chromium developers patched it in to provide that functionality. I believe the same thing happened on XFCE too (I was using XFCE Power Manager on OB). The program “Caffeine” for Ubuntu is an example of this lack of basic functionality. You have to run a separate app to force the screen awake. Not sure about Gnome or KDE.

- Lack of support for mainstream programs, like games for example, just makes it difficult to use as my daily driver as yes, I play games. I can’t be assed to reboot into Windows each time I want to play a game or buy specific hardware that provides support for PCIE passthrough and set up a VM.

It’s just little things that end up making me switch back. I would love to make Linux my daily driver but I just end up getting annoyed.

It already is depending on the kind of work you do. Linux dominates my industry, windows is a total non player.

Excuse Me Sir?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-02 13-12-39.png (980x710, 75K)

>GuhNome

>a viable alternative to windows?
For what? Why does an OS need to be all things to all men?

It isn't meant to be, it is supposed to be different. If you want windows then use windows.

Those programs are a minority of a minority of computer users.

If it could ever be a viable alternative it would have happened by now. It didn't. That alone speaks for itself.

>picking the wrong DE gimps your entire linux experience
this is why linux will never replace Windows

I thought solidworks had a Linux native release?

>another thread where people think a certain one or two things will have everyone fly to Linux

Quality and features never had anything to do with Windows and MS-DOS defeating far better and cheaper platforms.

>Picking the wrong Car ruins your entire driving experience
This is why Automobiles will never replace horse and buggys

>I have to install it, along with it's dependencies
Separate management of libraries is a feature.

Haven't tried them yet, but Ardour, Mixbus ot Bitwig are some options.

Not him but he's right. These are power user/creator programs. If Linux had the tools thesr people needex they would likely become proponents of Linux.

How can you make your taskbar like that?

They're all buggy unstable trash with finnicky drivers, no vst support and having to setup Jack for low latency audio is a pain. No thanks I'll stick to "it just works"

>These are power user/creator programs
Who are a minority of a minority.

>. If Linux had the tools thesr people needex they would likely become proponents of Linux.
It worked for Amiga, and look how well that's doing.

its free so no
once they decide to man up and charge atleast 40 dollars for a key and a stable/reliable autoupdater then ut will succeed
the reason why windows and osx are still on top is because they release updates and offer a sense of quality by purchase
like it or not you know this is true

Explain? I understand that you can indeed make a portable application on Linux (Xonotic for example simply runs as an executable in a folder) but I’m saying developers don’t normally offer a portable binary that gets all its dependencies from its current directory, so I have to install everything even if it means installing 20 other packages as dependencies. Just gets annoying in the cases that I just want to use a program for one thing and then delete it.

It also misses a consistent, stable and standardized DE.

It's a normie thing

>and offer a sense of quality by purchase
When has this EVER been true for Windows? Fucking hell, when was it true for MICROSOFT as a company?

but, doesn't like, every government's military use linux

googled

It isn't my job to go on about the pros and cons of the various OSs that resulted in the decision and, of course, budget impact was a definite consideration. An existing Windows environment with all the software (COTS and custom) made any move from Windows terribly expensive and so this was a huge factor. Only by overwhelming superiority in security and function would any other OS be able to overcome the fiscal damage a change like this would entail. Understand that in my sector alone we had over 25,000 desktops. We looked at security issues and Microsoft was the clear winner despite all the pundits that wish to claim the opposite. The reason is because every OS tested could be attacked in almost identical fashion and if we were to go to OS X or Linux we would be that HUGE and obvious target. So it wasn't the security holes that were an issue, they all have them, it was average time from detection to repair that earns you respect; Microsoft's average of 24-48 hours from detection to publication of a fix is far and away the best in the industry.

As I understand from friends I still maintain contact with the DoD is planning on a Windows 10 migration that will be starting in Fiscal 2016. So I would be willing to bet not much has changed in that area.

US military systems are predominantly running Windows 7. The different services each have their own "Gold Disk" that systems are loaded from. You should never see a military computer using OEM Windows.

Some systems do use Linux and these systems are locked down by implementing STIGs (Security Technical Implementation Guide) to configure the OS to security standard.

tfw us military uses pajeet/j** OS

Yes, there are Macs in use on the DoD networks. DISA (Defense Information Systems Agency) has developed a STIG for OS X as it has for Windows and Linux. Macs are not uncommon in military facilities in the Beltway. You won't however find Macs on the battlefield though, 99% of deployable computers run Windows.

What did he mean by this?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1510723830672.jpg (900x675, 138K)

I dont see mouse acceleration in this pic

gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4

computerworld.com/article/2939435/government-it/us-navy-paid-millions-to-stay-on-windows-xp.html

It needs official port of Microsoft office. Libre office is fucking garbage.
> inb4 wine
I have to write my fucking diploma, instead of fucking around with wine and dealing with this shit ass libre office.

Thank you papa stallman.

Attached: 1521574142139.jpg (300x309, 17K)

/o/ is bullying us again

>It needs official port of Microsoft office.
Which will never happen.

And even if it did, MS would just fuck with it so it doesn't work as good as the Windows version and people go back.

>I have to write my fucking diploma
Then you shouldn't be using a word processor at all; use a typesetter like a white man.

you know, solidowrks is windows only, but COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS is on linux. and handles multiple physics effects like fluid dynamics etc.

too bad solidworks is made by frogs, and comsol by dirty swede/iranian duo.

pick your poison i guess. at least linux can be liberated from the J**s once stallman croaks, windows will forever be in the hands of crypto-chosen gates, ballmer, and pajeet

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux

russia making their own CPUs as well. why so based?

hey man i hate windows too but alot of people buy shit that is expensive because it offers a SENSE of quality
doesnt mean that windows is quality but it tricks people to thinking it is quality
just like that fucking juicer

People buy MS because they're forced to, either through lack of other options, or the general environment in which they operate.

Haha, go try to play some old DOS titles without DOSBOX. Takes a whole fucking emulator just to do it.

i dunno i always thought windows was best until i took the linuxpill all the way, especially since i prefer x86

however now i guess i'm a reactionary antisemite and hate windows and linux. lel.

save us linus... save.... uss..........

If you have to be told, you probably won't understand anyway.

>fucking
you can do it in Latex like every other STEM major.

Holy kek!
This is the best goy to ever live!

Attached: 1522578879800.png (511x448, 176K)

So you're saying Windows lives only by the actions of retards?
We've got a winner!

I've been unironically using gentoo as my main desktop OS for a few years and absolutely love it. Windows on dual boot gets used maybe once every few months.

Linux on the same hardware is just undoubtedly more responsive across the board. I mostly just browse the web and play vidya. Linux can easily handle both these days.

I did try linux around 15 years ago and it was okay but not really close to a desktop replacement. Obviously don't feel that way now.

Like and subscribe please

>If you are gamer or an idiot you will love windows else it is dead platform even gamers prefer steam store rather than windows store

>Macos is good for GUI professional apps where as Linux will more CLI side but if have both you are good to go

Not until game developers all start releasing games on Linux. And previous games get ported.
In other words, no.

Why, if that competition died then wed only have bloated shit. I need i3wm (window manager not de i know) to keep my raging computer autism at bay.

A big part of Linux is the ability to choose things like these.

Then don't pick the wrong one.

this is the most valid statement. in the end they both have things they excel in so just choose whatever works for you.

FL Studio runs well on WINE which some might see as a pain to deal with even though it's super simple.

The problem with linux, community that drives off learning even when the terminal is hard for a noob as it is, what would've helped is at least a name of what it is and then a link to a guide maybe if you wanna go the extra mile, but things like this won't help driver support of software among other things people would like linux to have

It already is for the majority of computer users. They just don't care enough to switch ATM.

what DE is that?

GNOME 3

It needs to come preinstalled on desktops with a video of Mathew Perry talking about how to use your new computer on the desktop of every one.
That and some sort of hotline people can call for help and get paid to read them the arch wiki lmao

A competent effort to produce a polished Linux kernel-based operating system targeted to a more general audience with proper marketing and software/hardware vendor support could certainly carve out a Mac-like niche in the mainstream market.

But the likelihood of any OEM with the resources to do such a thing actually caring for it is another thing, as is the prospect of it completely usupring Windows. People just don't give a single fuck about the FSF's ethical crusade or what GNU/Linux brings to the table for developers, fanboys constantly making excuses for the platform's shortcomings by shitting all over end users for "using it wrong" or not meeting a ludicrous set of technical/moral standards doesn't make for an effective PR campaign either.

I would love to switch to linux, but the issue is that windows has so much compatibility with so many programs and I dont want to go through the rigmarole of setting up wine and hoping that the program i need to emulate wont be a buggy piece of shit.

Jesus Christ stop fucking whining and use Google like the rest of us had to do.

Who cares? They are not exactly wrong, but they are not better

It already is.

gpu passtrought/game streaming

Linux is ready to shine !!!

It already is.

linux is a minority of a minority itself. shitty argument

It's not.
t. Normie

office is great. delete one space and watch 200 tabs and text boxes go to shit. libre all the way

kde, dont listen to

It is.
t. twisted psycopath

GNOME is probably the standard, for better or worse, due to it being bundled with the most popular distro(s)

yeah, my guess is by 2022 you'll be able to play all new game releases on it and use basically all programs on it

linux beating windows is popularity is only a matter of time

We've seen what a passionate vocal minority can do. Normies won't go around converting other normies until a critical mass is reached and Linux is the "in" thing. At the moment that subset of users is exactly who Linux is targeting but unless it is for a server or a hobbyist rig, they can't make the fucking switch yet as their daily driver because their tools aren't fucking supported.

>Amiga
Not an argument. Apples and oranges. Amigas were a hardware product and fucking expensive. Doesn't matter how good the graphics are if you can't afford it. Linux avoids the Amigas biggest problem entirely 99% of the time.

No it isn't. Unless you are a gamer, Linux is good enough for you. Most people use shit like Google docs or just use a browser for Facebook/YouTube. How many people on windows use things like Photoshop professionally? Are you so dense that you can't understand the argument being made?

This literally reinforces MY argument though, see:

These minorities are the ones who spend the money on the platform. Adobe suite and Autodesk suite is all that matters in windows. If linux had it, good bye windows.

Gotta admit ms office is the major issue for migrating to linux.

Just right click on the fucking thing and read the menu that appears. Stop being scared of breaking the system.

it already is
libreoffice

It's ok for me, it's ok for Jow Forums. But how about normfags?

ever since i got on my college campus i've gotten thirteen normalfags to main arch lignux on their computers, and they said they're never going back to windows (and for four of them, osx)

>I converted a few future starbucks baristas to Linux
WindowsIsDoomed(TM)

guys, guys, guys...

i get why programmers and nerds enjoy linux. I'm sure it has great text editors and cool things like nano and vim. but i am a professional content creator who needs to work with industry standard software in tandem with studio pipeline conventions. linux sucks balls for anyone who isnt just typing all day.

install anarchy + cedega

>anarchy + cedega
lmfao

>just use extremely heavyweight software in wine, bro

ok so port it yourself
plenty of people do it, but few ever share their code

the Jow Forumsentoo echo chamber is mostly youngish programmer/IT/geek types and they are generally prone to drastically underestimating just how many working adults need windows for things other than "le dumb gaymez" that they love to autism shriek about because as they see it all the other kids around their age that use windows are gamers and there's no other reason to use windows.

you just can't switch to linux for work unless that work is programming, some sort of IT/security, or writing, and even if you COULD switch, most people can't just decide on their own to take a few weeks off to install, set up and get used to a bunch of half-ass open source "alternatives" to all the windows programs they need for work.