What's the most reputable brand of hard drive?

What's the most reputable brand of hard drive?

Attached: hard-drive.png (1002x668, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/5635/western-digital-to-sell-hitachis-35-hard-drive-business-to-toshiba-complete-hitachi-buyout
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ibm

A ssd

HGST

fujitsu

cloud computering

seafail

Made in China

thanks for the help guys

Samsung

This.

Hey I found my 20TB of lost CP on there. Thanks dude

thinkpad

Fujitsu and hitachi but no one sells them and both brands fail to see consumer potential.

Out of sg and wd i think sg is ever so slightly more reliable

Maxtor was THE brand. Modern manufacturers can only dream of achieving its perfection.

Attached: 1493656352462.jpg (2000x2864, 732K)

Hitachi deskstar.

Does data ever corrupt on hard drives? Even single bytes?

Unironically HGST/Toshiba

heard similar good stuff about fujitsu/hitachi, personally wouldnt say SG over WD tho but thats just personal experience.

data rot happens here and there, never seen it personally affect a file but size of folders and such change after moving them etc

Still good 4 years later.

Attached: ss (2018-04-02 at 09.28.45).png (322x328, 12K)

Toshiba, got 4 of them and been all good for the last 6 years and going.

seagate

>data rot happens here and there

Attached: 3a33d8aace814947d794d81293f07a24.gif (964x912, 98K)

it doesn't really matter which brand, but which line.
The cheapo consumer shit isn't that reliable no matter the brand. If you get a Seagate Exos/WD Gold it's more reliable than the shitty barracudas/wd blues.
However they're also much louder bc they weren't made to be silent.

Hitachi seem to be quite reliable. Have 3 hdt721010sla360's from 2009 still going strong

Im basing my assumptions off the amount of drives i see returned to my store vs the popularity of the brands. Based off personal experience ive had a 1.5tb seagate and a 750gb wd fail on me , nothing else yet

Hitachi

WDs enterprise products are now just relabeled HGSTs, they tend to be a little loud, but overall great.

No problem! ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Attached: sassy cat.jpg (640x607, 85K)

EVEN THE LINES DONT MATTER, AND YOU'LL NEVER GET FULL TRANSPARENCY ON BATCHES
MTBF IS A WORTHLESS AVERAGE WITH NO RELATION TO FAILURE RATE ON THE PARTICULAR DRIVES YOU GET

BRAND HAS ABSOLUTELY ZERO CORRELATION TO RELIABILITY

ASSUME THEYRE ALL TIMEBOMB TRASH, RUN HIGH REDUNDANCY AND BE QUICK TO HOTSWAP WHEN THE DRIVES INEVITABLY FAIL WHICH THEY ALL WILL SOONER OR LATER

DISDAIN FOR HARD DRIVES

ironic/5

Seagate or WesterDigital.

On the subject of hard drives im powering on and off an ironwolf nas drive kinda frequently (on and off once a day). Does it actually matter?

Yes, that kills HDDs faster than anything else. Why don't you let them spin indefinitely?

Theyre made to spin 247 so i wonder if they have some sort of weaknesses

Western Digital mechanical disks work well for me. I use mostly SanDisk flash drives but have also bought some low capacity SATA 2.5 inch and mSATA SSDs. They work well enough, but I usually buy Crucial SSDs because their 275GB SSDs are less than $100 on Amazon.

>inb4 backdoors
Yeah, whatever. I went through all the trouble to disable my Intel Management Engine with me_cleaner and install Coreboot. I already use BSD and Linux. But it turns out that even the architectural extensions in the CPU hardware are massively vulnerable. So fuck it, I just use what works for shitposting and job stuff.

Attached: 1455821253694.jpg (657x527, 40K)

Turning on and off hard drives regularly is what kills them.
Server drives last longer because they rarely get turned off.

Western digital

The one you build yourself

This but unironically.

Hitachi aka HGST

what's a good hard drive to use for seeding?

i'll seed your hard drive user

Western Digital.

Clive's Olives and Drives, formerly Chuck's

Number 15 Burger King Foot Lettuce

IBM aka Hitachi aka HGST aka WD

My Seagate 1.5 tb failed the replacement failed, my 500 gb failed and my 3tb one is beginning to fall

I had more than my fair share of maxtor drives over the years, and every single one of them was a spectacular failure.

Huh? Hitachi passed the torch to Toshiba

>Western Digital will be allowed to acquire Hitachi’s 2.5” and SSD businesses, but not the 3.5” business. Instead Western Digital will be selling that business to Toshiba – factories and all – along with granting licenses for the necessary patents, which would allow Toshiba to effectively continue in the 3.5” market from where Hitachi left off. This would firmly establish Seagate, Western Digital, and Toshiba as the 3 major players in the hard drive business across all product segments.

anandtech.com/show/5635/western-digital-to-sell-hitachis-35-hard-drive-business-to-toshiba-complete-hitachi-buyout

I have a 500gb seagate I've been using pretty much constantly since 2009.

Mileage may vary I guess.

never heard this joke before

Does spinning down and then up again count as powering on/off? I have 2 7.2k 500GB Seagates on my laptop, they've been pretty reliable so far, 6 and 7 years of daily use, about 35k hours on both. They're pretty noisy though, that's why I set them up to spin down after 15 minutes.

Attached: 152163943593.jpg (331x374, 25K)

HGST / WD Enterprise

>Does spinning down and then up again count as powering on/off?
Yes.

Quantum.

I think my sea gate and wd drives are just fine for warrenty period

all my of drives are over 8 years old and still working just fine.
keep in mind i'm low writes, lots of reads and power offs type of guy.

What about SSDs?

I'm currently on a Kingston but I need to replace it because I need more space.

Seagate

Old hitachi (not hgst) drives are pretty reliable. Toshiba drives aren't too bad either. Usually sg and wd are about the same and it just comes down to some models being failures.

You glow too much

cloud compoettering

don't worry, usually you won't find out until a few years later

I bought three 8TB Seagate NAS drives

Gonna run it in Raid10 with another spare 8TB, inb4 two drives in the same group dies.

Attached: 1521774736751.jpg (540x406, 50K)

Toshiba is preferable, Micron too.

Samsung hasn't released many duds in recent years but their problems usually crop up later when people are ready to upgrade.

this and maybe wd