OpenBSD as desktop environment

I'm thinking about installing this on my Thinkpad X220 that's on its way. What are some pros/cons to consider, with regards to some well-known linux distros?

Attached: index.png (278x181, 10K)

You're better off installing Devuan. It just works and it's compatible with most Debian packages that don't have systemd as a dependency. It's all set up with XFCE out of the box and the install is 5 minutes.

cons:
>no Wine
>weak VM support (Qemu but without kernel acceleration, no Dicker, etc.)
>wifi sucks unless staying on single WPA2 access point, no DE's network managers, nightmare if you want to use some enterprise authentications
>buggy BigFootDE, non-existing Plasma
>working with ports in sane way is magic
>laptop won't really use all those glorious network tools
>no sandboxing solution for untrusted software
>yet another libc
>no Xonotic
>updating system is quite retarded, -current sometimes breaks when packages get updated to depend on newer base system packages but there isn't update for base system yet, -release doesn't update packages at all (only security patches for base system)

pros:
>... can't think of any right now, but it somewhat werks
>some games directly in repo (DOOM3, Morrowind)
>in-house software is easy to understand and study if you are into C programming
>snake-oil system hardening is quite tested unlike grsec and other linux patches, but it doesn't change a fact that Unix was poorly designed regarding security

go for it and make your own opinion, only idiot would parrot some random retard on Jow Forums

>cons:
>>no Wine
>>weak VM support (Qemu but without kernel acceleration, no Dicker, etc.)
>>wifi sucks unless staying on single WPA2 access point, no DE's network managers, nightmare if you want to use some enterprise authentications
Wpa_supplicant makes this really easy, you just write a config for all your networks and connect via ifconfig.
>>working with ports in sane way is magic
Not really, you can always use portsmaster
>>updating system is quite retarded, -current sometimes breaks when packages get updated to depend on newer base system packages but there isn't update for base system yet, -release doesn't update packages at all (only security patches for base system)
Actually Updates work quite well now, just updated from 6.2 to 6.3 today and it was plug and play, updating in one release is hassel-free as well in my experience

give it a try, the new release dropped today. if you install that, youre probably also gonna want openup from MTier, as there arent binary updates for packages released officially, only the source in ports is updated. read the manpages, b urself, and glhf

also when is that guy with pasta about how obsd sucks gonna show up. its always funny to have a little chuckle at a retard.

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

>Wpa_supplicant makes this really easy, you just write a config
No thank you. Give me nmcli or nmtui any day of the week.

Would you stop copy pasting same thing over and over again?

He is not going to stop, people like him can go and go for years. Just ignore.

Attached: 1512215072681.jpg (1024x768, 214K)

making wpa_supplicant work is nightmare, it's so chaotically documented, examples are mostly broken and openbsd has subtle differences to deal with, but it's the only viable solution indeed
>use portmaster
Isn't that FreeBSD thing? Anyway keeping the local port tree directory read-only and patching in working directory is headache and poorly guided in FAQ.
>updates
The system updater on ramdisk/installdisk works well, but the big problem I have with it is that it needs attended restart. You can't do it over SSH, ansible or other automation. If you want to update packages on -stable you need to do it with ports or 3rd party mtier. -current has this time difference between base system and packages I mentioned and also needs attended restart. The mirror path breaks with new release version which was unexpected for the first time.

>>weak VM support (Qemu but without kernel acceleration, no Dicker, etc.)
You forgot vmm although its almost useless.

can it run anything else than another OpenBSD instance? (although this part works really well)

honestly, this is my experience

that being said,
>but it doesn't change a fact that Unix was poorly designed regarding security
what's better if anything?

>this copypasta again
stale

>hard to use = better
Nerd bait tactic, the OS is deeply flawed:
>Poor software selection as proto-soy affect
>Used by emasculated, isolated wanting virgins
>80s neo /v/eddit video game aesthetic
>ALSA audio
>dishonest UI
>Pseudokino affectations (to arouse the sub 115 IQ Jow Forums population)
Denis defragments capeshit exclusivity selling point as means to the soy psyche, its design is self conscious whilst its aesthetic laid imbued with post sony futurism as soy affect, no doubt misapproriated by vileueve sycopants who rush to middle brow estrogen-as-suburban-culture enabled by 'Press to skip' ADHD. IN truth they're simply dopamine whores for kinesthetic simulation in proto Windows 10 imagination and miasma as perpetriatic post distrowatch consciousness.

If you're talking about openmw, you would have to install morrowind on another Linux or windows machine and then transfer the files over, since openbsd doesn't have proper wine support.

Apparently it can run Alpine Linux.
Last time I tested vmm it didn't work on my Ryzen. It's still work in progress.

world record for the most buzzwords right here

>soy
Stopped reading right there.
Trite crap.

>Anyway keeping the local port tree directory read-only and patching in working directory is headache and poorly guided in FAQ.
what are you talking about? just use dpb. it runs the build as an unprivileged user with no write access to the ports tree and no network access.

you don't need wine if you have a cd or an iso.

>hard to use = better
Nobody said that