/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T/W400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement) (T440s if portability matters, soldered cpu)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: thinkpad general thread.jpg (540x465, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=550879131380
ebay.fr/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-17-3-Zoll-i7-6820HQ-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-Nvidia-M3000M-Laptop/112894011975?hash=item1a4901ea47:g:J-MAAOSw2cVauLKn
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T440
psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T440?search=true
psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T440s
cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-3320M-vs-Intel-i5-4200U/817vs1947
cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4200M-vs-Intel-i5-3320M/2016vs817
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T440p
psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T440p
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What ThinkPads are you expecting in the mail, /tpg/?

Attached: ebay used thinkpad.webm (1280x720, 653K)

awaiting an x200 and t61

Attached: IMG_3274_0.jpg (5184x3456, 1.03M)

Someone buy my T530 dammit

Wtf is this commercial?

>not having one of the coziest ThinkPad models

Attached: x200 thinkpad coffee.jpg (1200x725, 202K)

interesting keyboard
eastern europe?
also didn't know the fingerprint reader was in that location

The guy I bought it from was from Belgium, IIRC. The fingerprint reader is on the bezel so you can use it while in tablet mode. Pretty standard for the X-series tablets up to the X230.

How many €s do I have to shell out for a new T430 battery? Are there any decent chink brands?

I've seen prices ranging from 20 to 90 €, but I'm not an expert
A "refurbished" T430 sold on amazon costs +120 € than the same identical model sold from the same identical company on ebay, the only difference being the a new battery + docking station in the amazon offer
So, I'd say that a nice 6-cell price would be around 60 € (if you're in Europe, we've already seen that prices fluctuates quite a bit across the continents)
Mind you, I don't own a T430 and these are just speculations from ebay and amazon offers I've seen in the last ~1 month
I've seen most people here recommending to avoid going cheap on these and buy the real thing

I love my X230T gf!

A third W530.

>smoke rolls
>bleach mousepad
>disorganized desk
>cracked phone
>candles for scent
Jesus mate, get your life together.

I've seen one in good conditions with a i7-3520M at 350€, should I go balls deep?

>6-cell price would be around 60 €
on Amazon the 9-cell is

I got mine for 200usd with a 240GB Intel SSD. I think that price is quite high.

x230t is most fun ThinkPad

Attached: IMG_20171108_225138.jpg (1920x1080, 878K)

same processor? In Europe prices are always a little bit higher imho

help me Jow Forums, I've finally discovered how to save money so I can leverage £400 of debt/guilt/shame free money

do I;
Buy a 9th thinkpad? thinking ultra-portable
Buy a gtx 780m and 1TB ssd for my 8760w
or
Blow it all on a HTC vive like a normie

The first time you open it is a pain in the ass, after that is a breeze.
I got the I5 model but the SSD should make the difference, as I´m sure that one is using a mechanical drive. Not from burgerland either, this one was kind of a bargain.

you misspelled x60s

I popped a 240GB mSATA drive in there, bitch is fast as fuck.
Also have a 1TB WD Blue in there for smalltime hoarding

X230Ts are fast indeed, I enjoy using it more than my desktop computer.

Keyboard stickers.

Fuck, my X60s came with a stripped screw preventing screen upgrades while having a non-functioning Thinklight.

Can also confirm, second fastest laptop I own, can do anything other than intensive 3D games

x220 FHD mod :DD

Desu, its gonna be great.

what screw? maybe screw extractor bit.

I dremeled luke smiths x220, desu.

Attached: ferris43.gif (540x540, 1.52M)

anyone of you know if there is any keyboard that is close or similar to the thinkpads? don't really wanna buy one, but i cant forget how nice the keyboard were

It's a spanish keyboard.

Just picked up an X131e Lenovo. Its kinda old but its refurb so it was pretty cheap. I slapped linux on it and im wondering if there's a driver available for the Bluetooth on it?

what thinkpad can I get for 100€?
what should I expect from it?

in my experience, in Europe you have better look for regional selling channels/platforms, other than ebay (notable exceptions do exist, but it may cost you some more time – as in: weeks – lurking for offers)
I've just seen a x230 with physical defects ("B Grade") on ebay for 110€, besides those it's sold as working
Surprisingly enough, RAM, batteries and disk are present (I've seen similar offers but without too many components), but that's an exception

Attached: this is what you get for 110€.jpg (404x300, 27K)

>replace thermal past on cpu
>put everything back together
>wifi card is now stuck in airplane mode when in windows

What the fuck is causing this? It works fine in linux but I'm stuck in airplane on windows. T430 here

i see thank you

Attached: 1415934242984.jpg (717x959, 48K)

Reset BIOS to default.

won an auction for a T400
gonna max that sucker out and libreboot it
that'll be a fun project

thoughts

Attached: djfh.jpg (3000x2000, 710K)

Searching for gaming laptop. Max price is 900USD.

I don't think I'm able to setup a wireless conection on t420 with linux. It seems like that the system can't enable ASPM or something. I don't even know what i'm doing...

Hope you post updates on it.
t. T400fag

Is it possible to undervolt t430s?

what's the red button for?

Attached: BBQCuBUCUAA5AsL.jpg (600x400, 12K)

buump

whenever i go to a hipster coffee bar, i try to find the most innocent looking girl and sit next to her so that i can use that thing and make her notice

100 usd chinkpad + 800usd desktop.

you bastard, you actually posted this didnt you
> back in the 90s and 00's this button had a kinda hard velvet/felt type of feel to it

that's a beauty, are they making anymore of those?

>Buy a gtx 780m and 1TB ssd for my 8760w
this, unironically.

so the button is just used to feel?

has no practical use?

don't know lad

Attached: 1522615529069.jpg (3720x2800, 3.18M)

Check your hardware wifi switch

My thinkpad :)

Attached: 8AB10E21-ED8D-434F-AD02-A7B13A2381C9.jpg (2048x1639, 693K)

bretty much
> but its also a cursor
> from before the days of trackpads
> trackpad can be a mite shitty m8 but the feels button delivers consistent performance

Attached: 1506048388218.png (512x512, 142K)

Why would a man make device just to feel?

>not having *the* coziest ThinkPad model.
I got bored of tiny 12" screens, thought I'd move up to something better in every way (outside of CPU performance, also it's impossible to find 7mm bay batteries even though that's the one good use for it.)

Attached: _MG_0017.jpg (2340x1872, 1.54M)

look up 51nb

that's where the image is Lol

W520 strong. I love how Lenovo actually managed to put a screen with decent colour reproduction into one of their xx20 machines.

I'm actually trying to get rid of a few. I have a completely clapped out T60 with no keyboard, HDD or RAM that I just want gone so I'm giving it away for free. Thinking of also ditching my X300 since I haven't booted it in over a year.

Attached: 1451177682649.jpg (2048x1536, 1.01M)

duh. I thought you didn't know what it was.
I wish I could get my hands on one.

item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=550879131380

Attached: 1fmokrad4zj01.png (552x365, 20K)

from reddit

Attached: _l.jpg (4032x3024, 845K)

>nu-pad
Go back.

when i'm at home, i just keep my X230 plugged in while i use it. is it better to just remove the battery and use it plugged in when i'm going to use it at home for several hours to avoid battery wear? (10% wear already)

Ryzen thinkpad when?

supposedly later this year

set charge threshold

are those chink-modded thinkpads purchasable yet? are they cost efficient?

i need to upgrade my t420 to something that doesn't overheat and have a shitty keyboard

A w520. Falling for the Thinkpad meme, wish me luck.

I'm between this and an X200s. Tell me more about your X301. How's the battery life? What's its size and weight like compared to the x220 (or any X2*0)? I'm disappointed that it doesn't have a regular-sized optical drive, 'cause I wanted to put either a super-slim BD drive or a second hard drive in there, but if the battery life is greater than the four hours I'm getting on my x220, I'm willing to hazard it for that screen.

Attached: confused mini.png (440x419, 15K)

How are the tablet version of the X220/30? I don't see them talked much here.

Any recommendations on a laptop sleeve for an x230 with a 9 cell?

i swear to god if this one goes for 1000€ im gonna be very upset for a few hours
ebay.fr/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-17-3-Zoll-i7-6820HQ-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-Nvidia-M3000M-Laptop/112894011975?hash=item1a4901ea47:g:J-MAAOSw2cVauLKn

for info i bought a P50 for 1500€, a few months ago

but is there a negative effect if i remove the battery and keep it plugged in instead?

No negative effect as long as you store the battery at a sensible charge level. 40% is optimal, 40-80% is fine, fully depleted or fully charged will wear out the battery faster.

Bought my first T430 w/ i7 CPU for $250. Looking forward to receiving it!

I'm on the lookout for a T430. I've noticed they run about $150 for a complete working model on craigslist, yet they run north of $160 on ebay for models missing hard drive, battery, and power adapter. What's the deal here?

Also, what should I look out for when I'm checking them out? What should I ask sellers to test before I buy?

I like my X230T. Very nice for watching media and maybe okay for drawing. I dunno if I would use it for anything serious, though.

That's a weird looking T61

What's the deal with the 25-dollar T61 batteries on eBay, the 3rd-party ones? Are they good to go?

One other questoin, my pops copped a T60p with the widescreen and loaded W10 on it, how fucked am I if I slap W10 on an SSD in my T61, slap in a T9500 and roll with it? I have the model with the NVS 140 Quadro 128mb

>I have the model with the NVS 140 Quadro 128mb
was it made after august 2008?
> how fucked am I if I slap W10 on an SSD in my T61, slap in a T9500 and roll with it?
use LTSB and get rid of all the telemetry. Else, use W7 or any distro of your choice.

A p50 went for under $500 less than a month ago. I was seriously pissed I couldn't bid because quite broke currently. I could have easily resold it, then again it's quite shit compared to the p51.

Am I weird if I love stories about family members using ThinkPads.

Are new thinkpads actually "Bad" or is it just a meme? Besides the keyboard I guess, I don't like them but I can live with chiclet keys. I'm thinking about buying the X250, but I guess I should give a chance for someone to talk me out of it.

July 2008. Says IBM on it. I'm running XP Black Edition for muh retro gaymen and it flies but I have an SSD laying around. I loaded Fedora 27 on it and have been having issues installing the Linux driver for it.

Girlfriend uses a T440p for work, but it's her work laptop and she does not own it, probably going to build her an x230 or something similar. All she does is Netflix and Facebook.

Will you install Linux/Unix and ween her off those terrible websites? Maybe build your own home server for streaming tv shows/movies for a start.

Test

Please wake me up from the nightmare that is the modern thinkpad. I'm still angry about the retro thinkpad, very angry.

never owned a modern Thinkpad, how's the T440?

The X301 and X200s have low-voltage Core 2 Duo CPUs, whereas the X200 has full voltage. The low-voltage ones are considerably weaker (1100 vs 1600 on cpu benchmark). That's the main reason the X300/X301 are not very popular.

She's spending a lot less time on Facebook and I have done much of the same, I think eventually we're both just going to leave when I come off the road this year (I drive OTR semi truck) the only reason I have it is to stay in touch with people while I'm away and keep up on local events while I'm home, which is what it was designed for before it was hijacked by political activists and Tumblrinas.

I did think about Linux it's not like she's going to do any gaymen on it, the only reason I'm using Windows is muh gaymen

I owned both and the difference in build/material quality is really noticeable. The x30x line was really premium and lighter than the x2xx series.
They have god awful battery and piss poor screens. A x301 was my primary machine in college 5 years ago but I would not recommend it as it is far too slow for modern tasks.

I think it was a step in the right direction, maybe they will reuse that keyboard on better models.

give up facebook and videogames entirely

resposting from last thread.

what's a good display for the T420 that's not listed in the wiki (X1 Carbon, etc.)?
preferably 1366x768.

should I be looking at contrast ratio, brightness or color if I want something similar to IPS?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T440
the T430
>has two memory module slots: one on the underside of the computer and the other
under the keyboard
(cit. from the manual)
whilst the T440 has only one
psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T440?search=true
the T440s has two, but one (4GB) is soldered
psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T440s

The average T440 easily available ships a i5-4200U or a i5-4210U while the average T430 you'll find around ships a i5-3320M ; compare yourself
cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-3320M-vs-Intel-i5-4200U/817vs1947
the "older" CPU (and laptop) performs better (at the expense of more battery drain)

So, if you want the machine that may perform better (better CPU, can have more RAM), pick the T430.

I'll never give up muh vidya, don't give a fuck, call me a manchild I make 150k a year if I want to play DOOM on my 600e against my friend with his Dell Latitude Pentium 100mhz over serial cable fucking right I will.

to add on this: in OP you'll find T440p; despite being more recent, the CPU is on par (if not slightly worse) than T430's one
cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4200M-vs-Intel-i5-3320M/2016vs817
it has two memory slots for a maximum of 16 GB total
>thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T440p
psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T440p
it only ships Intel HD Graphics 4600 (I assume you won't ever pick the nvidia one)

if it doesn't cost less than the T430, I'd just go for the T430 again

just bought an x60 but i totally didn't think about it being 32 bit. what linux can i install on it? i'd like arch but i think they got rid of all 32 bit versions

T440 owner regret the purchase