Two-year average life cycle

>two-year average life cycle

Attached: smartphones_2017_1.jpg (1200x800, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/one-class-action-lawsuit-against-lgs-bootloop-issue-has-been-compelled-into-arbitration/amp/
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/?amp=1
google.con/search?client=chromium&dcr=0&ei=ZAfDWtq4GoLXgAaL76noCw&q=lg g6 bootloop&oq=&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.1.41l2.0.0..42557...0....0.0...........1..mobile-gws-wiz-serp.....2.sMvzgMiF1X8=
f-droid.org/
ifixit.com/Guide/How to replace the battery in your iPhone 5s/19239
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

meanwhile i still have my htc m8

meanwhile I still have my S5 active, which I bought used

>it's a pretentious competition to see who has the oldest phone
>inb4 some 5 year old Samsung brick
>inb4 muh MotoG
>imb4 flip-phone

rekt

using my iphone 5s, which still gets updates

Erstwhile i still have me iPhone 7

For me, it's the Blackberry Q10

M8, so do I. Gr8 phone.

t. Someone who spends $1000 a year for a phone
I used my Galaxy S4 until this past June. Then I upgraded to the op3t. I see no reason to always get the latest and greatest.

>there are only two extremes

Attached: 1510215427972.jpg (600x600, 57K)

DESU the ishit in that pic only has a 1 year lifecycle before it shits the bed and cant type without freezing.

meanwhile I'm still using an Galaxy 5 (not an S5)
Why would you ever need more Jow Forums???

I upgraded to the 10 when my charging port died on my M8, huge mistake I should've just replaced the board at the time the 10 doesn't have the same HTC apps that phone had they're all shittier Google versions. I fuckinh hate google photos/music.
Found my old M8 the other day I've done the right thing now and ordered a new charging board/battery for it.

HTC Sensation here. Still deciding whether to buy last year's high-end or this year's mid-tier.

Two years? My Lumia 735 begs to differ

I still have my galaxy S4 from 2013...
still works like a new one. just replaced the battery once.

Shouldn't you be worried about paying your rent after spending $1000 on a phone so you can brag on Jow Forums? Why are you posting instead of flipping burgers

I would still use my 1100 if the cunts didn't turn off 2G here.

Attached: 1100.jpg (640x640, 66K)

On my m8 right now with lineage. God tier phone
>inb4 phone poster

Ouch. What are you using now?

>tfw still using my 6s

my next phone won't be an iphone though, i dislike the notch and cba to buy the same phone with upgraded hardware like the 8

aka: every two years toss aside a perfectly fine and usable cell phone just so you can pretend to be hip and cool with the latest and greatest

kys

>inb4 muh anecdotal "not me!"

I cracked screen on my 4 year old Nexus 5 today. What do I replace it with?

Are there any good phones in 2018 that aren't chinkshit?

Pre-owned or refurbished or just last years flagship?

Last year flagship i guess? I'm looking into the lg g6 right now. Is it good?

LG G6 isn't a bad one. Really good price for a modern phone. Lots of deals for it. I'd say go for it. Only issue is that LG really, really sucks with updates but if you don't care about newer Android versions go for it.

same here

still works pretty solidly.

I don't know what else I can fit into the price range of 350 eurobucks other than maybe Huawei p10 or the s7 which is a two year old device already.
Probably going with the g6.

/csg/ user here

I don't see your problem with that, a phone is like 160$ and you can sell it after two years for 100$, that's like 2.50$ per month, 4 meals a year you miss for having a modern phone

I have previously used my phones until they died and the stress of recovering and backing up data is seriously not worth it, from now on I'll just buy a new phone every 1-2y, the money invested ensures reliability and low stress.

Phones are not PCs, having to troubleshoot a phone is cancer.

>tfw still happily using my note 4

Nuphone shills btfo, i'll use this thing until it either physically breaks or cant load a webpage.

I don't think erstwhile means what you think it means.

There are no two extremes, but there are nuances. Such as researching if a model you're interested in is developer friendly and has good custom ROM support. But why would you care?

Bad idea. What's even worse is that the class action lawsuit didn't include the G6, and even those with previous models who would see any money back are few and far between.
xda-developers.com/one-class-action-lawsuit-against-lgs-bootloop-issue-has-been-compelled-into-arbitration/amp/
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/?amp=1
google.con/search?client=chromium&dcr=0&ei=ZAfDWtq4GoLXgAaL76noCw&q=lg g6 bootloop&oq=&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.1.41l2.0.0..42557...0....0.0...........1..mobile-gws-wiz-serp.....2.sMvzgMiF1X8=

Just get viper10, stock messaging app and no Google play

My Samsung (c) Galaxy (r) S5 (tm) just works

This will change. And I suspect the move to non-removable batteries were "forced" on consumers party because quite a few manufacturers realize this. I've been going for cheap $150-200 phones since it's pointless to pay $800 for something you'll replace in a year or two anyway. That price-point used to give 0.5GB RAM/4GB storage, then 1GB/8GB then 2GB/16GB and now 3GB/32GB's common and cameras and screens have steadily improved a lot. Now we're at a point where phones in this price-range are good enough and they are no longer improving in significant ways from year to year. We're at a tipping point the PC industry went through; most people who want one have one and there's no reason to buy a new one unless the old one breaks or 5+ years have gone by and something worth upgrading to has arrived.

i still got my iphone 6 plus form 2014, the battery is sucking now but its still got few months of use left.

i mean i still have my 6s and its pretty damn useable

I think apple is offering the 30 dollar battery replacement still
I had it done a few weeks ago and it made a world of difference on my 6

Attached: 425A64A8-AC89-40A3-806E-2A13ABED9323.jpg (500x372, 81K)

I use a 6s, but have an SE that needs the screen replaced. Probably gonna switch to that one once the 6s kicks teh dust.

Six years with custom ROMs. Maybe more.

>mfw still have my note 7
can't imagine replacing it anytime soon since it can't be gimped with shitty software updates.

Attached: smug hobbit.jpg (411x418, 43K)

With my plan, i get a new phone every 2 years

Why don't you guys just get one of these?
It's only $50. This is the 4g version btw.
My LG g5 and pixel XL broke in the same month so I decided I've had enough.

Attached: IMG_20180213_070339.jpg (3036x4048, 2.81M)

get a new $29 battery from Apple

Meanwhile I still have my S3™

Attached: Screenshot_20180403-083130.png (720x1280, 90K)

Having a cheap phone doesn't mean you have to have an unusable phone.

Attached: 20180403_070255.jpg (3264x2448, 2.88M)

Same here.

My nigga, posting from my m8 right now

They're still getting considerably better each iteration. It's much slower than it was, but it is still reasonable for someone with disposable income to upgrade regularly.

>still using and getting a full day out of galaxy S2
everything new is sealed, long, phat, curved and expensive

muh se

mine literally just died on me 2 days ago with that fucking emmc chip failure, I've had the damn thing since 2015,I thought I was in the clear. At least Samsung will repair it for $75, still pissed about it

Excuse me while i post from my S2

from 2012 i've had a e71, sadly it's only good for typing and alarm setting

I' m posting from my galaxy s3....faggots

I'm still using an iphone 4s

Moto G1 running LineageOS 14.1 here
no Google

Attached: motorola-moto-g1-xt-1034-16gb-original-garantia-pelicula-D_NQ_NP_425605-MLB25060039831_092016-F.jpg (1000x1000, 113K)

>tfw completely fine with using the same phone for a long time as long as software updates keep coming
>Manufacturers deliberately only support flagships for two years or so before they tell you to fuck off and get a new phone

This is my biggest problem with them. My Z5 isn't getting new android updates anymore because Sony just decided not to support it even though the hardware could deal with the next 2-3 major Android updates.

Fellow N5 user here, i'm sorry for your loss.

still have my m7
m8 plebs plz go

I'm still using the original HTC One (M7) daily after 4.5 years. sadly HTC fell off in these last years

how do you download without google play store?

f-droid.org/

Had my s5 since release and I just got an s9 2 days ago, nothing wrong with spending a grand every 3 or 4 years

Thanks Apple, you're the reason more phones aren't like the Galaxy S5.
>water resistant, dust resistant
>removable battery
>expandable storage
>3.5mm jack
>USB 3.0, fuck you it's not a meme, it's even backwards compatible, stable as fuck wire/interface, won't crap out after a few months like regular micro USB
>AMOLED screen, didn't burn in as long as you weren't blind as a bat and didn't have your brightness on full blast
>easy as fuck to replace screen, if the need ever came
>came with one of the last good Android versions, 5.0, the best Android being JB
I would give literally anything to see another, modern phone like this. The closest that comes is the LG V20, but that's a couple years old now and the second screen is a bit of a meme.

So, which newish phones have roots that won't kill your battery life and don't require a heat gun to replace the battery right now?

>tfw have still nexus 5
shit battery but it lives

falling for the 1k phone meme, nothing wrong with that

Pixel 2 is god tier except for the headphone thing.

Is it worth buying a "new" oem battery?

i have no idea, i thought about doing this too but i heared all the oem are chinese fakes anyways, so i dont think it worth it

on the subject of old phones, bought my GS6 brand new and has been in an OtterBox since. I can't seem to part with it but periodically it freezes or struggles doing basic things such as texting. Battery life has taken a nosedive.

I can't justify upgrading every two years because fuck planned obsolescence jews, can I root this thing and replace the battery? It's unlocked and I own it outright, it's a Sprint phone.

I'm happy with the service, love the phone it works most of the time but I'm really into saving the planet and reusing old electronics that have nothing actually wrong with them, as I type this from my 2007 IBM Thinkpad T61

>inb4 poorfag

I make 150k a year and could right now buy everyone ITT an Iphone X or whatever the newest model is but fuck consumerism.

still goin to this very day

Attached: JPEG_20170923_164042.jpg (972x1296, 219K)

Still using my Galaxy S4, I bought it used

Use Yalp.

Ditched my xiaomi last year for a old blackberry 9560. Feels good to have 3 days baterry.

Can't see myself replacing my Moto X Play anytime soon

LG G4 reporting in.
Had it since Nov2017, died once, got a warranty replacement, still rocking.

>The closest that comes is the LG V20, but that's a couple years old now and the second screen is a bit of a meme.
The screen on it isn't the real issue.
There are more phones like the S5 - Lenovo P2.

Redmi 3s since 2016.

Lasted more than some apple crap

this is exactly the reason I got a nokia phone, they promise a longer update period than other companies. My PoS Nokia 3 is getting Oreo.

i have been using the same phone for the past 7 years

Attached: 20171108_220800.jpg (4128x2322, 3.49M)

>easy as fuck to replace screen, if the need ever came
No, it's actually pretty difficult. Especially if you want it to be water resistant afterwards.
>came with one of the last good Android versions, 5.0, the best Android being JB
Also no. Marshmallow introduced granular app permissions, for example.

Yes, this is unacceptable.

I want to buy a high quality phone that I can keep for several years like I do with my computer, my car, my furniture, etc. My 2 year old Nexus is slow as shit and slowly breaking down as it ages. Images are starting to burn into the screen, I can only talk on speaker phone, it shuts down at like 30% battery.

I'm sick of hearing about the latest "snapdragon" processor the upgraded models have, I want reliability. I'm not some consumerist twat who needs a new phone every 6 months. This might seem like an explanation for why they don't target me as a demographic, but there's money to be made. Maybe it'll have to be a smaller company trying to make its name.

Meanwhile my AT&T Galaxy S6 is still fast as hell and I replaced the battery with a 3600mAH version.

or use lineage you goose fuck

How do you keep it from becoming slow as shit over time?

By getting rid of the bloatware and not installing a shit ton of normie crap I don't need like Lagbook and Instafart.

lineageOS-compatible phones are usually more expensive than the ones I get. I prefer to just get a cheap phone every year, or at least that's what I did before getting my nokia 3. I honestly see no reason to upgrade since I use it just for phone calls, telegram, whatsapp, web browsing and uber.

I always found it funny because all of my phones pre smartphone era are dead inside some drawer somewhere in my old home where I probably wouldn't be able to find them anyway

I forgot the english term for where the designers and engineers purposefully make electronics die after some time, but this shit was happening long before smarpthones

planned obsolescence

I got a (((new))) battery for my Nexus 5 and the difference was negligible and I still have to carry around a power bank. I think newer software just burns through more CPU cycles.

Planned Obsolescence is the term you're looking for. Fridge and washing machine manufacturers were notorious for this back in the day. They would design certain parts to go bad just shortly after the warranty expired so they get you to buy a whole new machine because normies can't be bothered to setup repairs.

Nexus 5 was known for having terrible battery life when they were new though.

Well worth the price for me, AOSP, removable storage and a headphone jack all running on a highend SoC

lol iphags have to go through all this to replace their battery:
ifixit.com/Guide/How to replace the battery in your iPhone 5s/19239

Is it? For muh 0.5s browser loading time instead of 0.7? For muh 5% bigger display within the same body? For muh bigger resolution that you can't even see until you stick the phone in your eye? For removed features like headphone jack or keyboards? It seems to me that the whole phone industry is about wasting effort and money on things that nobody needs.

what phone is that ?>