Anyone else have a hobby of trying to make the electronics you own last as long as possible and in good shape?

Anyone else have a hobby of trying to make the electronics you own last as long as possible and in good shape?

>still use my nexus 5
>laptop is an x220
>desktop is a pentium 4 running xubuntu

Attached: 2478140D-A777-449B-AA78-E7B00F3DC409.png (500x517, 139K)

Hey I still use my Nexus 5 too
It loses signal and thinks it doesn't have a Sim card a lot, the microphone only works sometimes, for some reason video clips have no audio, and my speakers randomly shift volume but other than that it's still working fine.

I'm still switching to a pixel 2 later this week though.

Yeah man, I'm still using my MacBook Pro from 2010

Just give up, the Japanese win this title, they take the best care of their electronics.

Maybe ask them for some tips.

I kind of used to be like that, I would make laptops last 7 years...

Now I am not as willing to put up with shit being slow or losing software support but I don't upgrade until I literally am having issues like that, I have a 2015 macbook pro 13 and now that it's 4 months into 2018 I don't see any reason I would need to upgrade till 2020 and that would be if something unforseen happens, 2022 is more likely

I could still be using my old laptop for all intents and purposes but just seeing the much higher resolution screens was (to me) justification to get a new laptop in 2015 from my old one i bought in 2009

I'm still using Win XP. I'm thinking eventually I'll get a chromebook for web browsing and continue using the Win XP machine for everything else. For me "everything else" is primarily note taking with WordPad.

>laptop is an x220
>desktop is a pentium 4 running xubuntu
Why even use the desktop then?

i'm getting into the habit of replacing parts instead of throwing the entire thing and out and buying the new latest and greatest.

About the only part I upgrade anymore is hdd storage for my server + backup use due to failure or hit capacity limit. After all you don't really need 8 cores @ 4.0 Ghz each or 64GB ram if all you do is basic shit such as internet/office/ or e-mail

I don't like upgrading unnecessarily, but sometimes it's cheaper to throw things out and get something new instead of trying to fix something that is broken in many different places.

Your hobby is being poor?

I thought Japan was all about new trends and switching out old models for new ones. Then again they still use old tech like faxmachines.

My daily driver laptop (plugged into docking station and running dual wide screen monitors) is an old T420. A few Dell Optiplex i5 quad cores make up my server farm running Xen and multiple VMs. Nothing is running Windows, it's all Linux these days.

Phone is a Nexus 6p, but I've got no plans to get rid of that unless it breaks.

>Anyone else have a hobby of trying to make the electronics you own last as long as possible and in good shape?
I'm Brazilian, over here it's literally a necessity, I have a deskjet printer from 2009 that still works without hiccups, never once did any sort of maintenance on it.

kek
literally this
I'm poor but I hope some day I can afford to upgrade my devices more frequently

You have the patience of a saint

You fucking MacToddler.

Not sure where you're from, but here in the US, fax machines are still used heavily, especially in the medical field.

Not really
I'll use electronics for as long as they're good for and they're not prohibitively slow

not a hobby but a habit. I am poor as fuck but have tons of old machines that are useful for different tasks.

>being poor is a hobby

I do it, because i'm poorfag

i'd still be using my nexus 5 or 5x if they didn't both start bootlooping out of warranty. i fell for the lg meme. do hope to keep this moto x4 for longer. love me some google botnet.

im also a poorfag who buys the cheapest used shit. my first desktop was also pentium 4 running xubuntu. in 2013. i'm 23 years old.

i wish i could, but forced obsoletion got me. The only thing that would be in that category is two digital cameras that outperform my Canon Rival and one PSP 3000.

Yes but it's not a hobby. I am just a jew and don't want to spend money.