/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T/W400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement) (T440s if portability matters, soldered cpu)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: t h i c c pad edition.jpg (650x488, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards#lenovo.2Ft430
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/88dz4b/t440p_w_iris_pro_works/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw ThinkPilled

Attached: tfw thinkpilled.png (512x512, 142K)

t420 or t430

Attached: 1492004383240.png (253x199, 6K)

T430 w/ T420 keyboard mod

t420 for good bios and keyboard

T420 so you don't have to waste money on a keyboard and time doing the mod

Had one of those thinkpads for a while, words can't begin to describe how heavy and bulky it is. I carried it under my arm to my car and it got sore from the weight.

they aren't made for soyboys

Attached: 1461880409569.jpg (2592x1936, 935K)

If you want to be unable to install a free software friendly wireless card, go with the the T430. If you want an unusable keyboard that you will have to pay extra to replace, go with the T430.

If you could get a T430 or T430s for free, which one would you go with?

is this really yours ?
couild never get my hands on one

for me it's the x201

Attached: x201.jpg (2268x3024, 839K)

I wish, I only own a light soypad x220.

Can I get a good Thinkpad for GNU/Linux and programming for €250 or less? What models would be best in that price range?

Attached: 1522791090448.png (444x440, 73K)

i got mine from a friend, it was owned by his grandmother. But I had to return it because she went full "I know what I got" boomer.

T400.

t430, key actuation is the fucking same, and if the chiclet form factor hurts your autism you still can have some fun changing keyboards and so on

x220, x230, t420, t430 should ALL be well under 250 yuros

SELL ME X250 1080P IPS

X200 or T400 and install libreboot

T430 for the socketed CPU and better dedicated GPU

>installable w/ Coreboot on T420
T430 is compatible too
coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards#lenovo.2Ft430

Ok

T420

Attached: 151581977971.jpg (125x125, 5K)

I somehow fried my T420 upgrading the CPU.
Ordered a new mobo for $30
Seller gave me a $50 refund for the laptop.
Hopefully its the mobo.

Now I wait.

THINKPADS FUCKING SUCK. 13" laptop sleeve for my x230 w/ 9 cell?

What price should I be looking for a bottom tier T440p, but in great condition? I'll upgrade basically everything eventually, but just want a basic one to start with.
Also, how's the wifi on the T440p? Can the wifi module be upgraded if it's shit?

I may have an opportunity to obtain a ThinkPad Helix free...

Would it be worth turning into a nice Linux machine, or would the drivers be a disaster to deal with?

Nigga it's free. Don't think so hard about it.

Just purchase one in good condition. Don't listen to these goons when they try to jerk themselves off over their "good deal". Just make sure the price is reasonable.

>managed to cop a T430 for $90
>want to get a smoll ThinkPad for gf
>All X230 in local ebay go for $200-$300
Explain this to me. Why is the exact same machine in a 12" form factor worth double or triple?

Can somebody with a coreboot'ed x220 share his make config pls, i can't get the custom bootsplash to work.

Because the market for 14" laptops is hugeeeee.

Attached: boot.jpg (640x480, 71K)

I read that it's so fast you can't even see the image, maybe it's that.

I replaced the thermal paste on my lappy

with what? How are the temps now?

Aw crap, hundred hours on GIMP wasted, well at least now i know how to use GIMP.

So I want to refurbish my thinkpad top covers because they are a little worn out, but mostly my x61 tablet. I saw the video with magic erasers but was wondering if there's a good alternative to them? If not, I'll just get some tomorrow. Also are there replacement parts for the hinge locks on the t61? My autism demands I replace one of them because it broke when I was unpacking it from the box.

Did you autistically force it open because you didn't know you had to use that lever to open the lid?

>I want to refurbish my thinkpad top covers
That is what stickers are for.
>Also are there replacement parts for the hinge locks on the t61
I think you need to buy the whole assembly, in case if it has an FRU you can get replacements on ebay/aliexpress.

No, the person that packaged it did a shitty job and the whole corner of the laptop was fucked up, the hinge was broken internally, separated from the roll cage, I had to use jb weld and it is close enough to as it was before. Because the hinge was messed up, when closing it, the hinge locks didn't fit right and one of them snapped.

I did get my money back and got to keep the thinkpad though, so that was good. Pic related is the corner that was also borked to hell, I had to jb weld and then colored over it with sharpie to get it somewhat normal colored. Looks worse because of the flash

Attached: P_20180403_222040.jpg (3840x2160, 1.38M)

At the time, I did find the broken hinge piece, I probably could have attached it on again, but I didn't think of it, so that part is long gone.

I'm thinking of selling my X220 to get a X230 and swapping the keyboards, if i coreboot the X230 is there any other downsides against the X220?

Dont think you'll be able to use all the keys. Also no caps lock light, from what I gathered.

Attached: IMG_20180402_182251_20180404070450721.jpg (1839x2097, 750K)

What will happen when there are no more genuine lenovo batteries left for the more classic thinkpads?

it's a t420 with a i5 2520m, the thing would shoot up to 60C normally and when i tore it apart i saw the thermal paste was really dry so i replaced it with noctua paste. now it sits in the low 30s

So I bought and reinstalled a new fan/heatsink for my X220, and it still runs into Fan Error.

What do I do? Is it something about a fuse?

Make your own? the cells can be replaceable, and the people who are gonna own them are going to have more then enough expertise

9/10 cosmetic condition; would be 10/10 if it weren't for the top lid where some parts of it are faded out due to the removal of some stickers.

How much should I sell it for? Planning on using the money to get a X230 Tablet.

Attached: x230_speccy.png (1366x768, 66K)

My x220 just came in the mail, im not liking the touchpad very much it doesn't seem precise at all, any tips?

I'm about to replace the cpu in t430 with pic related, gonna glue it with semen

Your cat sucks, I never wanted to punch a smug cat in the face so bad
>W10
absolutely haram
>shitheiser

Attached: you're a big guy.jpg (640x640, 99K)

learn hw to use the mouse clit

12 or 14 inches?

It's not possible to use a xx20 keyboard on a T440p, right?

guys is the fingerprint technology secure on newer models?

>trusting anyone with your biometric data
cum on ur finger and then log in dummy

this is what I plan to do. Exactly this cpu because I'm a lazy fuck and don't want to do the heatsink/fan mod. How much did you pay for it?

That's a huge cat, even for an x220

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/88dz4b/t440p_w_iris_pro_works/

Anyone else with a t440p willing to take one for the team and try this out too? The chinks are selling 4980HQ's on substrate adapter to fit t440p socket. I might buy one to see for myself otherwise...

Attached: BzDkEIA_d.jpg (640x502, 12K)

How much more heat does this produce over the stock dual core Ivy Bridge i5? I know that the TDP is the same, but TDP doesn't exactly equal power consumption.

Long time x220t user here.
Found an x200 which I wish to put LibreBoot on, and make it my GNU/Linux machine.

How's the average temperature output?
Recommended battery size?
Battery compatibility between other ThinkPad models?

Thank you in advance.

I had a Dell Latitude years ago with a Core 2 Duo P8600, same as the most common CPU on the X200. It ran very cool, especially after replacing the thermal paste. Not sure if the X200 heatsink fan assembly is better or worse than my old Latitude's.

I recently got rid of my Librebooted X60 because the Core Duo T2400 was just hot, noisy, and generally underpowered for even web browsing. Thinking about getting a Librebooted ThinkPad X200 because it would be fast enough for actual use.

please help

you made sure to plug the fan connector ?

just reapplied thermal paste and mine runs below 50 degrees even while watching youtube videos.

9-cell gives me about 3-4 hours, battery fits x200(s), x201(s).

I have a T440p that I put a T450s trackpad in.
I've always run Linux on it, so the drivers configure automatically and I don't have to do anything to get it to work.
I decided to put Windows on an external drive, but the trackpad drivers aren't automatically installed. Can I just install the T450s driver for the machine, even though it's a T440p?

what's the best meme at $400

I want to sell my X230 anons. Can someone reccommend me a good ThinkPad?

X230

Jokes aside, what don't you like about the X230, and what do you want different in another model?

I have done the same thing. Just google it and you will find drivers.

kek that cat is literally me
> ginger
> same eye colour
> same face expression
> same laptop
> same kitchen furniture

I had the ALPS part, not the synaptics part...
No wonder it wasn't working.

X60

mobo flex, tn panel, weird keyboard, loud at times

new chromebook thinkpad or thinkpad 13

How big is a T60? Is it insanely huge or just Normal in comparison to ~today computers

Attached: jojo5.jpg (500x573, 108K)

Opinions on Thinkpad Edge series?

Why aren't the trackpad and trackpoint buttons on my t420 working? I can move the mouse with both of them but I can't click on anything

how good is the T520?

It's about the same size as modern Thinkpads.
The body is actually slightly thinner than the T420's.

Just bought an X220 on Ebay. £110 for i5-2520M/4GB RAM/320GB HDD. Cosmetics are pretty good. AFAIK the BIOS is unlocked. Do I pick up my neckbeard now or is there something I need to do first?

Anything recommended other than just stick my distro of choice on there?

Found lots of T430/T420 models from a refurbisher for similar prices. Good enough for linux and schoolwork? Leaning towards the T420 since the other anons answered that guy.

Replace HDD with SSD, upgrade the RAM, and you're golden.

What CPU temperature should be worrying for my x220? More than 85ºC?

Yep, and get an IPS screen from Ebay If yours isn't

>P-Series
>Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners
I dunno about this. I have a P51, baseline CPU, so take my words with a grain of salt, but the cooling has been phenomenal on it. It gets more toasty when I'm running 3D applications with the Quadro, but otherwise it's fine. The fans run cool and I can barely hear them.
On Windows, the only unexpected heating/jet engine noises are when it's working on updates, but I run LTSB so I don't have to deal with the botnet disk indexing as soon as you log in.
On Linux, it's a little worse. The fans ramp up randomly, CPU usage spikes at weird times. I do run a full desktop environment (KDE a best) though, so that could be the reason. I'm sure it could be made a lot quieter if you tweak the power profiles.

I think SSD was on the cards anyway. Might try and get away with the RAM as-is. How bad are the TN screens?

>t430, key actuation is the fucking same, and if the chiclet form factor hurts your autism you still can have some fun changing keyboards and so on
Fucking newfags. No one cares that it's chiclet. It's a worse layout.

Pretty bad, specially if you use it everyday

I'll look for a well priced replacement and wait and see then - cheers

I fell for the thinkpad meme and I can't even plot graphics with R in it

SSD or HDD lads?

is this a good offer?
in italy a t61 costs around 70/90 €.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-04-14-31-47-1.png (720x720, 195K)

SSD no contest - why even choose a HDD now (other than price I suppose)?

Wish I had bought a Macbook instead

I made a compromise and put some mac ram in my thinkpad

Attached: IMG_2630[1].jpg (3072x2304, 1.77M)

>R
but anyway, it's actually a good deal.

So there's no way to undervolt t430 right?

it's 30€ instead of 99 so ye thanks

they're good for tertiary storage if you have a thinkpad that supports multiple 2.5" drives

Can I get a link to a trusted site where I can download a non-whitelisted bios for my thinkpad T60. I want to install a new wifi card, but all the forums I find with downloads look shady af.

>inb4 libreboot it
I would but I've got the ATI variant, which isn't supported. On a side note, what is the graphics performace comparison between the ATI and the Intel Graphics on the T60?

Why not?
I have 4 thinkpads and use an x61s for R at uni all the time..?