/mpv/ - Do you really need a GUI?

Why is this logo so aliased and why does it look like from 1994 in terms of style?

Attached: mpv.png (312x170, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu-next/daily-live/pending/
mpv.io/manual/master/#options-sub-ass-styles
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5695
hastebin.com/fovayarivi.coffeescript
theverge.com/2018/4/2/17190394/valve-steam-machines-steamos-section-hidden-pc-gaming-living-room
steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-SteamOS-Reaffirmed
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5693
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There's only a very few freetards who can into design. mpv has exactly none of them.

Maybe they should hire one or steal some open source alternative logo for their own, there definitely are better ones out there..

As I have a very old pc build and that it seems mpv works better on windows - no tearing or better hwdec (my cpu is shit).
Do you advice me to use windows for mpv?

>advice me to use windows for mpv

I advice you to think about this part of your question again.

B-but people said mpv is better on windows.

I think mpv logo looks cook. It's better than most other open source logos.

with idle=yes and keep-open=always, is there a way to make the play button repeat the file from the start? Currently it just pauses at the end and I'd have to seek manually to the start.
What I'd prefer is a behavior similar to youtube, pic related.

Attached: replay.png (63x103, 4K)

loop-file

Issue with that is, that the file automatically continues playback, is there a way to pause it once the loop happens?

>Do you really need a GUI?
Yes, it's not DOS era to not have possibility and option to change settings and preferences in real time, not to mention that most of things will be done way faster with GUI.

Designer who likes freetards and their work here, is it worth trying to help out the community or will I get exploited and underappreciated?

Not sure in mpv regards, some people on their dev team are little assholes sometimes.. i'd just ask on their irc or issue tracker but the issue with the logo seen in the thread image is that they use ASS(sub format) to draw the logo on the OSC which is a little annoying.. Not smart enough myself to figure out if its possible to draw an actual PNG (it probably is, since AMM uses png's for his thumbnail script which displays small video frames)

It seems some people have lower GPU usage with mpv than with madVR when doing tone mapping.

I have the opposite, madVR is much faster with my nvidia 1050. I am using latest mpv (sourceforge) and latest madvr test release (avsforum). I use the vulkan renderer (winvk).

Is there some regression in latest mpv or Jow Forums users are just shitposting about this?

Just fork mpv and implement your shit.

In madVR tone mapping speed varies *a lot*, depending on which settings you're using. With the AVSForum test build, the "saturation reduction color space" option "ICtCp" is much slower than the other options.

How horrible.

Attached: mpv_render_aa.png (150x150, 12K)

P.S: (after testing) Or maybe not. I'm confused. There used to be a big difference, at least in the official builds.

Shit, the svg and png icons are not even the same.

I did not even notice that yet....

Apparently, d3d11 doesn't seem handle HDR content well

Mar 30 22:11:29 the main thing on windows is that d3d11 doesn't yet support brightness calculation
Mar 30 22:11:40 so for HDR content I usually set gpu-context=win
Mar 30 22:11:45 which is the native opengl one
Mar 30 22:13:47 the actual tone map works, but you get a rather dull result because you have to trust the metadata or theoretical peak instead of the renderer being able to calculate the peak of actually used values

compute-peak works pretty well in vulkan though.

When will we get a better subs control?

Attached: mpv-shot0177.jpg (1280x720, 206K)

>Do you really need a GUI
no, but i think they want moar users

What do you even mean?

More finer controls.
For example when forcing specific subs size all subs get the same size, even subs for signs and stuff like that.
Specifically for ass subs.

if you have radeon then you may use vdpau which would tear but not if you start mpv with --fs
my guess is you also should have a recent mesa for that
or use compton, or enable vsync in /etc/x11/xorg.conf-etcetera
>wayland
gnome makes mpv micro stutter
weston doesn't but won't use it
>bottom line?
lubuntu 1804 > windows

And there is the ability to not do that in other players?

Yes, MPC-HC allow you to customize each set of subs.
I realize all this can be done by extracting the subs, editing it manually in aegies.
But it's too much of a hassle.
And the real reason why I wanted this finer control is the ne LOGH

Why vdpau over vaapi for amd/ati?
Isn't vdpau deprecated?
Is gpu-hq settings compatible with vdpau?

This one? Better than win10?
cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu-next/daily-live/pending/

You mean change the size of different styles as defined in the assfile, e.g "Default" "Karaoke" etc?
If so, could you not use
mpv.io/manual/master/#options-sub-ass-styles

and create your own style file which for example sets font size for styles named karaoke to 50? And just always load that? And build up a master style with various names you collected ?

PS for >65396794,
I also think that --sub-ass-force-style= could work as well, the way I Understand this works is like:
--sub-ass-force-style=Karaoke.Fontsize=50,Default.Fontsize=19 .. etc

Stop using code tags for quotes.

That would happen if every group used that format.
Most of those don't even do that and use something random like OP,ED,Songs,and worse character names, etc...
Things is a more granular control for subs is needed.

because muh radeon is older?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration

yea, or wait for the 'official' release, i wrote LTS because 1710 appears to be buggy but you can try it and in general it is a good idea to first try anything ubuntu/debian before installing it
>better
you said old pc, [anything freetard is better]
see zorin and neon as well you want
for me best is openbox or i3wm with pcmanfm

How the hell does mpchc do that then.. it can't possibly know every fansubbers way of naming the op style or the sign style..

How to fix random freeze? Happen since a month or so... Should I get the git version?

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5695
?

Just use madBuggyVR...

My bug is with full screen too. Could be this although they don't propose any fix...
What is that? I couldn't find any info

don't use ewa_lanczos or use opengl renderer.

I'm using opengl-hq with deband=no nothing else

use gpu-api=opengl

how long until feature parity with mpc-hc?

>Do you really need a GUI?
What is wrong with the MPV GUI?

It has small ass editor.

So it's exactly the same as mpv? except that the editor you use for mpv.. is just any.. Both require manual work.. I don't see your problem..
In fact the first method I mentioned seems even better now.. because you can keep improving a single style file.. add tons of different style-names all the fan sub groups use.. I mean chances are high they keep reusing the same name in their group for their releases.. so in the future your file will generally support the new episodes...

>I don't see your problem
Because you don't use subs much I guess.
>chances are high they keep reusing the same name in their group for their releases
No they don't, other than OP,ED most utilize something random.
Not to mention that's avoiding the problem.
Are you a dev?

>Because you don't use subs much I guess.
Not recently no., but back then I never bothered even touching the fansubs.. they were alright as is. Although I can understand there may be issues when viewing from far away.

>No they don't, other than OP,ED most utilize something random.

Doubtful.. Opened a few random anime episodes:
Default and Default2 / Default and Default - Alt, Signs, OP/ED .. those cover like 90% of the episodes.

>Are you a dev?
No

I guess what I meant was mpv need a functionality that reads the styles of the subs, cycle between it, or applying it to all.

How come I have videos that have a resolution of 712x480 yet when I play them, they actually are 865x480? If I change the resolution to "4:3"-like, they're 712x533 instead.
Cycling through the aspect ratios, it tells me that 865x480 is "video-aspect: 2.348 (original)", 712x533 is 1.333. Other files don't seem to have this "problem". I'd like to view it in the resolution it's "supposed" to be (712x480). I messed around in the config file but couldn't help myself and reverted the changes. Anyone know what's going on?

Here are my options: hastebin.com/fovayarivi.coffeescript

Oh, and this also affects screenshots.

mpv needs a mascot

Attached: DK0l9JRVoAAxenU.jpg (876x1200, 134K)

>how long until feature parity with mpc-hc?
and madvr.

God this mascot is so noisy and overdesigned.

They should join KDE.
Try --no-config to see if anything in your mpv.conf is messing it up.

Attached: 1519128388617.png (360x600, 81K)

the video is stored at 712x480 but displayed at 865x480 because it has non square pixels. look up anamorphic widescreen and pixel aspect ratio.
>A DVD labeled as "Widescreen Anamorphic" contains video that has the same frame size in pixels as traditional fullscreen video, but uses wider pixels. The shape of the pixels is called pixel aspect ratio and is encoded in the video stream for a DVD player to correctly identify the proportions of the video. If an anamorphic DVD video is played on standard 4:3 television without adjustment, the image will look horizontally squeezed.

Unironically is kind of cute though, but a bit noisy indeed, needs to be simplified a bit then its quite nice.

>Try --no-config to see if anything in your mpv.conf is messing it up.
Doesn't appear to be so, thanks.

That makes sense, I didn't know this was a thing, thank you.

>If an anamorphic DVD video is played on standard 4:3 television without adjustment, the image will look horizontally squeezed
Guess she's not supposed to like like that then.

Attached: 1497771007864.png (712x533, 458K)

How do I enable hdr for mpv? My tv supports it and it works with games that support it, but I cant enable it on windows (using ltsb so the option isnt there). This leaves it up to the application to enable it.

Lol mpv has much more features than mpc/madvr and uses newest technologies unlike those directshow shits.

I don't think mpv supports actual hdr monitors/tvs, it can only downconvert to 8bit .. madVR has an option to send hdr metadata to the monitor and the hdr video.. At least thats what some people here showed/said, I never tried it myself as I have no 10bit monitor.

>using LTSB limited windows
>wanting hdr and playback support

Does mpv use rubberband by default when it's playing audios at different speed?

It clearly supports it and is a software issue as I said.

How the fuck do you autists know so much about a video player?

there's a manual + it's not that difficult. Something tells me you're not good with computers and have wandered to this thread.

You can convert SVG images to ASS.

I know, there is a library for it, Tried it, fails, can't handle modern svgs generated by inkscape, doesn't know most of the new tags if any and inkscape doesn't seem to produce the old ones anymore and trying to manually do it was too much hassle

I will be honest, I thought when I first heard about MPV was "ok, cool but VLC is simple and effective."

Until... I tried to play a 4k .mkv video with VLC 3.0, I had to change so many setings and there were still problems with dropped frames. I spent hours searching fourms for answers and finally got it to play BUT...
I had to restore my aettings back to default to play regular HD content so I said "fuck this bullshit."

After installing MPV and clicking my 4k video file it began playing flawlessly the first time with no problems. After using mpv for all my content for a week or so, I just decided to uninstalled VLC.

Only thing I wish to change is for the audio volume to step in 5's with sideways middle mouse scroll.

You my think it's just some meme but it legit is simpler then fucking around with VLC settings.

Attached: bane-batman.png (420x308, 133K)

input.conf:

AXIS_LEFT add volume -5
AXIS_RIGHT add volume 5

Should actually work, but the issue I have with this, is that when ever I click my wheel to the right or left, it triggers the event like 40 times at once resulting in volume jumping up to max by just one click...

So where's the rule 34?

probably to steer you away from mpc-hc, but linux is way better for a shitbox.

Why do furfags always have to inject their sick fetish into completely unrelated shit?

Attached: 6613c52083b13b8042c9f15721a542997d58ab2ce9b93aee29f70f89afb98440.jpg (960x960, 146K)

What makes you think I'm a furfag? My affection for KDE's mascot is 100% platonic.

Attached: 1498970450686.jpg (336x229, 14K)

What CPU do you have and what your graphic card.

You can still get decent performance on mpv on Windows. you don't use meme filters.

allover the internet. there was some blue-board tier stuff on Jow Forums when the libreoffice drama happened.

You will get under payed/not payed that doesn't mean the work is underappreciated. Also they might not accept your work if it doesn't maintain simplicity since programmers generally like function over form.

Cute.

check out archived thread, that one had some r34: g/thread/63433037

I think you're misunderstanding something. You do not have to open terminal and type "mpv ~/Videos/chinkcartoons/boku_no_pico/[Commie]_Boku_No_Pico_01_[1080p].mkv" every single time you want to open a file.
I can doubleclick on my file explorer of choice and open the file with mpv. If I want to create a playlist I can just select a couple of files, right click, open in mpv.
From there you can use a couple of keyboard shortcuts to control the playback, but if you're clinically retarded and you get nausea every time you touch a keyboard you can click shit on OSD to do basic stuff.

tl;dr kys

Video, game rendering are dead on Linux...
theverge.com/2018/4/2/17190394/valve-steam-machines-steamos-section-hidden-pc-gaming-living-room

Full D3D11 madVR and GPU cropping when? HDR tone mapping is for retards, madshi!

Theres that one guy that talks about fucking it in every kde thread.

Cool FUD m8
steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/

Attached: 04f287599e9530328de7e26b36e542a3b48d2a797c9fe66ef2eae9b358248892.jpg (666x1214, 94K)

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-SteamOS-Reaffirmed

Similar to a spanning awning style overhead the screen & below on dominant future Menuet OS versions. No predetermined icon selections for bars or ridiculous desktop, and other constrained thoughts like multiple windows in background. On non-q non-holographic handheld devices, you simply pinch & rotate to even split screen if needed.

Stop using hwdec, retards.

Attached: 1501733595230.jpg (602x690, 59K)

With vulkan, mpv is better on windows with my hardware. And much better than mpc + madvr.

It's not ideal but some people have shit cpus

open source is a thankless job, user

isn't it better that the logo is drawn in a scalable manner? that way it appears sharp no matter what size the window is

Yup, I wasn't really trying to downtalk svg's/assvg's, but i'm too retarded to use assdraw and using inkscape is impossible because the only svg2ass converter I found fails.

Better for performance or meme shaders?

Mpv has too many opened issues and its vulkan renderer is not maintained anymore, libplacebo seems stalled too.

MadVR causes no random system freezes at least!
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5693

explain to me why I shouldn't do this
keep-open=always
snap-window=yes

gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=winvk
vo=gpu

dither-depth=8

glsl-shader="~~/SSimSuperRes.glsl"
glsl-shader="~~/FSRCNNX_x2_r1_16-0-4-1.glsl"
fbo-format=rgba16hf

scale=nearest
cscale=nearest
dscale=nearest

correct-downscaling=no
sigmoid-upscaling=no
deband=no

interpolation=yes
video-sync=display-resample
tscale=oversample

Vulkan is unstable and nearest is shit...

Is Intel HD 3000 enough for interpolation (oversample) with the d3d11 renderer?

I can't use opengl with win context, otherwise the shaders and interpolation don't work. However, I'm tempted to use D3D11. As for scale=nearest that's what the shaders are for, right? FSRCNN is a prescaler and SSimSuperRes is for upscaling right?