ARM &X86 BTFO

First TALOS II benchmarks are in.

96 Core ARM gets destroyed
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raptor-TALOS2-Initial-Tests

A TALOS II PC at $3,400 trades blows with a $5,200+ AMD EPYC
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-epyc-xeon

Are you ready to do more for less whilst being free Jow Forums?

Attached: talos2.jpg (2000x1000, 317K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/open-power
openpowerfoundation.org/?resource_lib=power-isa-version-3-0
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/support-the-talos-ii-a-candidate-for-respects-your-freedom-certification-by-pre-ordering-by-september-15
wiki.raptorcs.com/w/images/e/e3/T2P9D01_users_guide_version_1_0.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There is no $5200 EPYC.

is it good??

Attached: 2018-04-05.png (900x870, 44K)

>$5,200+ AMD EPYC
What?

It's not bad when you consider that was the low end 8 core CPU. I'm guessing the 2x 22core version can match or beat the X86 chips. The 22 core power9 is actually pretty cheap so the system would likely actually be cheaper than similar X86.

but can it run crysis on ultra?

If you want build webserver Apps
Power9 begin heavy customer to server loads

my guess is that the compiler and those applications aren't too optimized for the arch, otherwise they would run much faster.
I have no idea if that's the case or not, though

I'm referencing the AMD 7551 build in the benchmark.

Cost is MOBO+CPU+HSF.
The AMD 7551 CPU alone costs $3,700

They're looking into it(see bottom of pic), it appears that most performance issues are down to compilers needing to be optimized.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-4-5 Raptor Computing Sys on Twitter.png (640x1219, 392K)

>pybench
ayy lmao

this shit is a non starter

don't all the new power chips suck cock?

Based on the articles it seems even more usecase constrained than ARM was. It does very poorly in x264 encoding. There's also the lack of performance per watt data which is the bottom line for servers. It seems to scale up better than ARM, but I don't see it reaching PC consumers.

but most of the programs I use are written in python

In a QEMU+KVM VM, absolutely.

>2.5k for a motherboard with 1 processor
It seems like a good idea, but it's just way too expensive.

did they hire pajeet to benchmark this?
>next up the c# performance test!!!

How is it expensive if the performance is there? All workstations cost around this much.

>It does very poorly in x264 encoding.
Because x264 isn't optimized with altivec or vsx while it can use avx2 or sse4 on x86

>It seems like a good idea, but it's just way too expensive.
The CPUs are about 1/4 the cost of their X86 competitors. If they can get talos mobo production volumes higher it will be much cheaper than X86.

Finally, a reason to install Gentoo!

>moronix
shit's probably just running whatever's in the automated suite that will compile and run at all on the platform

it's not so new in servers but it's new to desktop/workstation so a lot of shit probably won't work at all yet

Oh ok good point. Though I think it still would be nice to use it as a desktop.

TALOS II is just as closed source as everything else, OP. It's not RISC-V. That said, it looks interesting.

>is just as closed source as everything else

>firmware is completely open source
>no Intel MEme or AMD PSP blobs

RISC-V on the other hand is kind of a meme. Its only an ISA that a company can use for their processors. You could literally make a RISC-V processor with an Intel ME equivalent, or close sourced firmware and microcode.

IIRC it's still in a much better situation when compared to x86 and slightly better than ARM.
Also, don't forget that while RISC-V is all open, all the currently available hardware (and new releases for the forseeable future) are really more locked down than the TALOS or a Librebooted x86/ARM system...

>buy one
>nsa, cia and fbi all intercept your package
>backdoor it
What's the point?

Attached: 1521999183252.jpg (1138x1137, 159K)

Open firmware is not open hardware. You could still have hardware trojans.
>much better
Can you show me open source schematics of every single thing in TALOS II? No. So it's just like any other computer in existence right now.

Here's the firmware:
github.com/open-power
Here's the spec:
openpowerfoundation.org/?resource_lib=power-isa-version-3-0
Here's the FSF shilling it:
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/support-the-talos-ii-a-candidate-for-respects-your-freedom-certification-by-pre-ordering-by-september-15

I don't think you can get much more open before you go into libre territory or get hardware die shots

TPM plus compile your bios and firmware from source and put it on the board.
Guide is in the manual:
wiki.raptorcs.com/w/images/e/e3/T2P9D01_users_guide_version_1_0.pdf

True, but it isn't like every other computer, it's like every Libreboot-supported device.

>You could still have hardware trojans.
RISC-V doesn't stop this because it's only an ISA and the actual designs can be proprietary.

Yeah, but who's going to buy proprietary RISC-V machines? Not me.

Everyone will, RISC-V is going to be in Nvidia GPUs and Western Digital HDDs.

THIS IS WHY KEK PERMISSIVE LICENSES ARE BAD DO YOU GET IT NOW, BSDFAGS?!?

Attached: daddy.jpg (600x450, 45K)

Without the permissive license companies wouldn't adopt it

Ideally you'd have a permissive instruction set(standard) with GPL microarchitecture(implementation).