IDEs/Programming on Windows

>try to learn VIM
>all the guides and shit are for every OS but Windows
>try Visual Studios
>it is bloated beyond compare and despite hardly working demands constant updates and extensions
>try Eclipse
>constant compatibility issues and extremely strict workspace/directory requirements
Are you just not meant to write code on Windows? I haven't been able to find a single IDE or text editor that functions the way I want or expect. What the hell do people use?

Attached: 98B03B6E-7E1A-4BF4-84ED-C871EB37442F.jpg (445x437, 104K)

Yes my Sirs a Thread dying for this but my Sirs you can use Visual Studio Codeing and Shut the Fr*Ick up my Sir...

Only autists use VIM. Use atom instead you fag.

>try to learn VIM
>all the guides and shit are for every OS but Windows
What's different about VIM on Windows? Everything except shell commands and file paths should be independent of the environment it's running on
Are you running it out of Cygwin or using gvim?

IntelliJ you dumb.

Also install gentoo. If you are writing in ruby I'm not even meming

>try to learn VIM
>any guide except from the mighty vimtutor

>not just hitting f1 in VIM

An IDE for what fucking language, you dumbass?

If Vim on Windows is too hard for you, try Sublime Text 3 with Vintage Mode enabled

What kind of toaster do you have that Visual Studio feels bloated? Unless you're talking about using it for C++ in which case just install VAX

If you're coding in C on Windows and not using Pelles C, you're retarded.

Attached: PellesCLogo.png (64x64, 6K)

>What kind of toaster do you have that Visual Studio feels bloated?
>t. i7 gayming PC

vs is bloated but the basic functionality is easy to use.
The only problem is instability which I only find happens when running older versions like 2008

Why can't people into vim? Minus all the fancy stuff it can do and fiddling with config files it's stupidly easy and even with the fancy shit and config files it's an ez search away .. all you need to know is :wq .. :w and :q to get started ..

But I fucking hate programming on windows like OP said it feels like you're almost not supposed to
> Tfw comp sci major (Junior year)
> Most of class uses windows
> Only a handful of cunts including myself use gnu/linux distros (Few arch fags, I'm the only debian fag I've found and a few ubuntu boys)
> tfw my only friend in any of my classes is the only qt gril and she uses a macbook
Macbooks seem easier to program on than windows (I have no experience with them so if I'm wrong pls no bully)

I think the fact it's so ugly is the problem and that the customization process isn't exactly intuitive. It's the first hurdle for a lot of people and they don't get over it.

linux subsystem, make, gcc, vim

thats all you really need

Good for you for learning to use vim. But since neovim is out now, and reasonably mature, I would use that.

Use visual studio code with vim bindings.

Or oni, it's neovim + electron

My preferred method (work PCs are windows, but we deploy to RHEL) is to do everything in a vagrant box. Then it's just linux and you can learn vim that way. Vagrant and VirtualBox, the virtualization suite it uses, itself is pretty easy to install if you don't have experience with it

>Using an editor written in fucking Javascript
I bet you're hyped for NodeOS too. If you want a decent editor that's not Vi, Vim, or EMACs, use SublimeText.

The base VS 2017 install is only 600MB. What kind of storagelet are you exactly?

>what is bash for windows

Bash for Windows isn't a development environment. The only thing it's actually useful for on Windows is testing scripts.

>>try Visual Studios
Are you a dumbasses?

I am incredulous.
I find your post extremely dubious when you say there are multiple individuals using any linux distribution.
Visual Studio's installer gives you the option of what components you want to install. If you have more than you need, then you can easily remove those modules.

In what fucking use case would you be choosing between either Visual Studio OR Eclipse? Is there a language that you would program on either? Also, how are you managing to fuck up Eclipse? It is the closest an IDE can get to a text-editor and yet somehow your cockbrain cannot comprehend the (apparently) enormous power of Eclipse.

Stupid frogposters.

I don't see what the problem is: the git installation for windows is usable using standard cmd. There is also a bash version of it included in the installation for those who have analitis.

Only thing necessarily ugly in default vim is the massive tab spacing
Well the one guy I noticed using arch dropped the class (I think it has something to do with him getting 30% on the first test) but in one of the early classes of the major the one professor shills gnu/linux really hard and basically forces everyone to use it so a lot of the fucks who made it through his class switched out of convenience and stuck with it. (I had no issues with it since I've been using debian on my laptop for years now). But trust me it is a majority windows crowd but there's a few

Oh and vim also only looks as ass as your terminal colors and font choice

>I don't see what the problem is: the git installation for windows is usable using standard cmd. There is also a bash version of it included in the installation for those who have analitis.
I mean git works, but git works on literally everything. The standard Windows command line is neigh-useless for everything else, not to mention actually testing scripts.

Just use NetBeans/intelliJ for an IDE and VSCode/Sublime for an editor

Netbeans is pretty good even though it has unwarranted bad rap in Jow Forums. You can do C/Java/Python etc there and its fast as fuck compared to shitbrains ide's.
Test it out.

Visual Studio is good enough for John Carmack, it's good enough for you.

> bloated VSCode
> Thinks skills in coding are based on editor

OP is faggot.
Doesnt matter what editor u use OP skills matter. VScode is great stuff i use it for webdev because od emmet. Before i used notepad.exe and did the samé fucking job

In the end this... I suppose it comes down to what 'features' you like.. I do bigger projects using atom because I like having the side thing with the project folders and multiple tabs .. but if it's a small personal thing with only a few objects I use vim.

Honestly I would use Emacs on Windows instead of vim.

>I haven't been able to find a single IDE or text editor that functions the way I want or expect.

>finds IDE / text editor
>it literally doesn't hold my hand
>switch to next one like a pussy

>What the hell do people use?

VS, VSCode, Atom, Sublime, Vim, Eclipse, CodeBlocks, ... need I go on?

You can write in fucking notepad and compile externally if nothing fits your needs.

just use Emacs

qtcreator if you're a pussy, vim if you're not.

What language, OP? If it's C/C++ or java, you can get away with using Notepad++ or Sublime Text to write your programs, and cmd or powershell to compile/debug. WSL is also a good option for compiling/debugging. I would suggest you look into that.

You could try Linux also. It's not for everyone, but I like it, and in my opinion is a lot better for developers. MacOS is also an option.

>What the hell do people use?
GNU+Linux+Systemd.

>No IDE or Text Editor suits my autistic, incomprehensible standards which serve to make me feel special, but in reality don't matter at all

Fixed that for you