Off-line computers a waste?

Does Jow Forums think computers that are used for a single off-line task are a waste of the power a computer affords?

Attached: works-wp.gif (640x400, 63K)

Only a waste if not power efficient. Underclocking one of these is a must.

I was talking more about a general waste of the capabilities of a modern computer in a philosophical sense, rather than just the electricity bill of running it.

Depending on the job and hardware it's not really a waste. You wouldn't use a good xeon workstation as just a CNC machine controller that is a waste but if it's commodity hardware like a old i5 machine it really isn't a waste unless you have better uses for that hardware.

No, next question

I have one because of adhd
It helps me focus on the task if I can't access the internet.

Philosophy usually fails to take into account all the nuances of life.

For instance, my old work had an old computer still running Windows XP to support legacy industrial hardware which the controller software wouldn't work on anything newer than XP.

Sure these are niche cases, but niche cases are abundant in such obscure questions. Most people want their computer hooked up to the Internet.

>general waste of the capabilities of a modern computer
That doesn't happen only when you take it offline by any means.

People have monstrous machines and they use only part of it and mostly for stupid bloat.

I don't exclude myself here, it's the lazy thing to do, but people are pretty objectively immensely wasting the capabilities of modern computers, yes. Even of smartphones.

>I have one because of adhd
>It helps me focus on the task if I can't access the internet.
Jesus, ADHD is a meme. You're just a fucking retard

>autism vs. adhd

Attached: 1495165285675.png (491x239, 139K)

Computers are a waste of computing resources. Ideally everything would be in the cloud, perfectly scaled to meet everyone’s computing demand with minimal idle time.

When you’re sleeping and your computer is turned off instead of being used for something useful, it’s bloat.

>Dopamine released by the information overload of the modern web, and the addiction of stimulus that comes from it, may be proved many scientists in many countries
>But I'm a guy in the internet with opinions.

I normally just shut the wifi off on my laptop. That extra step is enough to keep me from browsing generally. Problem now is a lot of my work requires an internet connection.

The real problem is that there's no paradigm where this is the case, even when things like the Pi (or old models of X86) could be turned to them perfectly. Computers are now mundane in our culture, and as such should be treated as such, but sadly there's no legitimate consumer choice in regards to what device people buy. What does someone buying a computer just for writing their college work get out of a device that can also play 4K video?

Considering how much e-waste is out there i'd consider that putting it to good use.

Surely that would only apply if they use a second-hand (or one of their old) machines to do it?

That's what i assumed, i doubt most people have a secondary computer that's just as powerful as their main machine - most often it's whatever they had before doing an upgrade.

Not really because you'd have to consider the alternative. A mainframe system sharing resources with separate terminals only when they're needed, which is constantly being used. Obviously this would be very cumbersome to build and not worth the time, so having separate machines that don't do much makes more sense.

Should've got a Thinkpad or cheap netbook, but college students need to fap and consume media too.

>fapping
>consume media
good goy!

i fap and consume media on my thinkpad desu.

Xeons are commodity too

Sort of, but commodity computers are so cheap it doesn't matter.

Yeah, but they should do so away from where they're expected to do their work, which is the case in general not just for college students.

Lol

It can be justified if there's a reason why the computer should be airgapped.

Attached: 1513881697020.png (1440x1080, 1.47M)

Or the user doesn't want the distraction.

That's called being mentally retarded. Anyone who needs the special ed computing experience where they're put in a safe space is simply retarded. No two ways about this.

Attached: tard pajeet.jpg (630x418, 70K)

No, it's called being human. People get distracted by things as minor as having their phone on the same desk as them, as has been shown in studies.