Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the dust has settled, why was OLED such a failure and is there any hope for a competent display technology within our lifetimes?

Attached: JUST.jpg (4032x3024, 613K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/your-guide-to-televisions-quantumdot-future
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What TV is that?

They never solved the "burn in" problem, but they were really great otherwise.

Looks like an LG C7 OLED.

That's not a C7
Source: I have one and there is no glass in the stand.

It's a B6.

MicroLED 2019
basically OLED but without burn-in and even higher brightness even though no one asked for it

>high brightness
Damn. It hurts my eyes.

>MicroLED
Sound really good, sadly too good to be true.
Producing it costs more than other display technologies by magnitudes. Every pixel essentially has to be assembled, even with the best mass producing technologies, you cannot push the price down enough to make a consumer product.

Also for SOME reason, they don't work like OLED's, they don't explain why, but they only turn completely off in special cases, not every time there's a black. Makes you wonder why.

Samsung showcased a 140" MicroLED display made of smaller displays on CES

Yes.
They didn't talk about price for a reason though.

quantum dots

and they said it would only be available on the market more than a years from then for a reason
this doesn't mean it isn't ever coming out

They will commercialize the display that was on showcase this year. I bet it will be ridiculously expensive.
The thing with microleds is it's a completely new technology in a way that it was never used in such a high density or consumer products.
There are a lot of problems with them production wise, and all of those problems have to be solved by samsung alone, they have to basically reinvent the wheel, and hopefully with the kind of money samsung has, it won't take long, but I wouldn't hold my breath until a reasonably priced, good performing TV comes out.
It might take many years, and if someone solves OLED's burn in issue in the meantime (I bet they're researching that too), they can throw all of that in the trash.

Even OLED took so fucking many years, even after mass producing them to reach the mainstream.

Not new, not particularly impressive either. Better than a standard IPS, though. Maybe with continued refinements it will become a more interesting option.

Of course now that all the early adopters of OLED shit have done all the mfg's RND at the cost of their firstborn maybe we'll see improvements on the technology that at least reduces the high buy-in. Or perhaps refinements that increase the longevity. Hopefully both, though.

>tfw my parents primary tv is a 720p 40" Samsung Plasma television that they bought in fucking 2006
>it gets used for several hours per day every single day

just... how?

You sunk my battleship!

KEK
E
K

MicroLED will never be a viable consumer technology, no matter what Samshit try to claim. They're already looking into their own OLED variant ("BOLED").

"The Wall" is just a Samshit marketing exercise. A complete nonsense of a "product" that was hand-made and isn't really MicroLED anyway. The size of it means that each 4K subpixel is about 280x840 microns, which just doesn't qualify. It'd be more accurate to call it MilliLED. True MicroLED would have a dimension of about 23x69 microns and will never scale to television sizes. It's vaporware.

>competent technology
How about crt? Great color depth, great blacks, great looks.
LCDs were a mistake.

CRTs are more expensive to produce than LCDs are nowadays, they're never coming back.

My parents have a 42" Panasonic plasma with MANY hours of use and it only has a bit burn in where the tv channel logos and has lost a bit of contrast. Otherwise, it's still perfect.

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x768, 38K)

Reduced OLED's production cost to the point where people wouldn't mind buying a new tv/screen each year.
Heck just sell a fuking OLED sheet that you can pin on the wall and i'm sold.

what is wrong?

LG W7 literally does that.

Attached: file.png (597x446, 530K)

I have a 65" panasonic plasma in my living room right now. It probably has over 50k hours on it without any visible signs of distress. Black levels arent quite what they used to be, but it still wrecks when you turn the power up (vivid mode). Plasma was always the best technology, but Californians ruined it with their efficiency standards and I suspect some manufacturers also disliked how long these plasma units were lasting in the field.

Got a 47"sharp LCD TV from 2009 as a secondary screen, it works great still, but it suffers from temporary burn in if you keep it on the same image for more than 10 minutes. This goes away after 10 minutes when things are moving again and after you turn it off for a minute.

Strange though have not heard of other people having this issue with LCD's

Well, there was also manufacturing costs (much more than LCDs) and practicality issues (they weighed a fuckton). Same reason that CRTs died.

ips is literally perfect.

My parents have an old 50" Panasonic as well. Cost them like $2000 in 2006, it only does 720p, but god damn the colours, the black levels, the lack of any motion blur at all, just incredible. And there is absolutely zero burn-in either, the only problem is a single stuck pixel in the upper-right corner which has my mom agitating for a new TV.

>shit tier black levels
>1500:1 contrast ratio at absolute best

IPS is the absolute worst possible technology for a TV.

that's more than enough contrast.

Sounds like FED/SED all over again.

>this is what IPSfags actually believe

Enjoy your """""black""""" reproduction.

Attached: sj9500-uniformity-large.jpg (3840x4316, 1.43M)

but there are no black pixels in this picture...

Yeah, all LCDs are inherently garbage. IPS is the bottom of the barrel though.

Attached: a1e-uniformity-large.jpg (3840x2160, 407K)

no such thing as "black pixels" on an LCD, or in fact any TV, led or otherwise.

I'd rather have "black" than burn in desu.

There are 3 displays in this picture.
IPS, VA, and plasma TV. The IPS is easy to spot.

Attached: mSVFg1U.jpg (4128x2322, 355K)

so did plasma owners turn into oled owners? It's always the same shit.

>Burn in was only a problem on older models, it's not an issue anymore.
>You just have to break in your TV a little bit. >Don't do anything stupid like watch shit for that long.

Except OLED actually can have black pixels. It can literally turn pixels off. Other than having the pixels turn to vantablack when they're off you can't get any more black than that.

good one, user

OLED's burn-in "problems" are far less than plasma's ever were. But it's never been an issue on either unless you're some mouthbreather who watches 24 hour news channels all day or something. I had a plasma for seven years, using it for a variety of things including long gaming sessions. Never had a hint of burn-in. I might buy an OLED this year if LG's motion handling isn't utter dog shit yet again.

I think you missed the part about being affordable and not having the worry about buying a new one each year.

CLED is the future.

Attached: CLED.jpg (480x360, 36K)

As long as it has Organic diodes in it, it's planned obsolescence, for the goyims to buy and cry later.

Been saying that for more than a year here.

the next color would be a nigger.

related

Attached: eVubO.png (784x691, 101K)

>a competent display technology within our lifetimes
within lifetimes? yes. soon? not really.

the only two things that 'in theory' don't have any flaws of the previous display tech are:
1. electro-emissive quantum led
2. micro-led with qd

we're still YEARS away before these get widespread market adoption. e.g. in the first case there's a whole fucking way of the cross through pseudo-qd steps we have to get through.

here's the full article explaining shit:
spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/your-guide-to-televisions-quantumdot-future

Attached: DisplayTechInANutshell.jpg (646x2036, 833K)

there are no commercially available quantum dot displays though, it's just marketing bs, see:

>Other than having the pixels turn to vantablack

I can imagine someone could sell this shit. Like when they finally get a 10,000 nit eye-burners in production so that they could throw vantablack dosed filters at it, so you could get
>that true deep space black hole feeling in your living room

meme that won't ever leave a lab

so have oled screen technology gotten passed screen burn in or is it still shit, im also talking about phones.

somehow phones are doing a bit better, which is a feat, considering they mostly display static, bright images; this might have a lot to do with manufacturing technology, it's completely different for small screen sizes than the huge tvs.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but this manufacturing discrepancy is one of the main reasons why there's still no monitor-sized oled displays (15-30"). it's not even about the burn-ins, there's just no viable manufacturing process to make displays in these sizes, hence the monitor gap.

Sony has more than a few displays of that size. None of them are aimed near the consumer market. Printing methods should be able to cover that size range.

The longevity requirements of a desktop monitor far exceed that of phones and most televisions (24-hour news being an obvious exception). The display will normally be used for fixed, bright white content for hours at a time.

Sony has OLED professional video monitors in the PVM and BVM lines in 17, 25, an 30 inch ssizes. They are rather expensive though.

Apple literally dropped Samsung and other OLED providers to start manufacturing their own MicroLED's cause its already feasible for small form factors.

Apple literally didn't do that and no, it isn't. They're working with a couple of partners to try and solve the problems with manufacturing MicroLED, but it's years off from even being workable in a watch-sized panel, let alone a phone (and a TV is never happening). They'll be using OLED for a good while yet.

So what's going to happen to LG? They went all in on OLED and now this.

until samshit can make MicroLED affordable they're fine

There was never anything wrong with plasma.

this. /thread