I think the Internet wants me dead

Just got a tingle from my Ethernet cable.
When you measure it to earth-ground it shows 115 Volts AC

Attached: ded.jpg (585x1040, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fiftythree.org/etherkiller/
youtube.com/watch?v=S7C5sSde9e4
quora.com/Which-is-more-dangerous-AC-or-DC-power
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

check for circuit fault in switch/router board?

>what is leakage
so? how much current is flowing on it? if its less than 15ma stop being a fag and suck it up like a man

nice
rub your dick on it
bonus points if it's in an office

fiftythree.org/etherkiller/

>nothing wrong with grounding faults

Attached: IndiaTangledWires6.jpg (590x476, 39K)

>double insulated device
>i also dont know what leakage is
kys

>leakage
That shield should have a direct path to ground, so there should be no potential between them, period.

wtf did you do, plug it directly into house power?

>double insulated device
>direct path to ground
kys brainlet

that ethernet cable is un-shielded twisted pair, breh

>have PoE
>complain about PoE

POE is 5-10VDC, dilweed

120V over 24 awg is asking for trouble. There's a reason why house power is 18 awg

if you've ever looked at any cisco ethernet phone, you know its actually 24v you retard

Attached: 1517186499741.jpg (640x780, 75K)

I never thought of doing POE like this, what a genius idea

Attached: 1520516145397.png (191x173, 82K)

>There's a reason why house power is 18 awg
There is, but it's not because of any voltage. PoE doesn't deliver 10+ A.

For amperage reasons, not voltage reasons.

120V AC over 24awg is perfectly fine.

i understand that, i'm an rf engineer. you could power a low current device over it but if you draw too much current it'll melt.

But you can certainly get more power across it than when using DC.

if you don't actually know anything about electrical power dissipation and current carrying capacity, stop making speculation where people will just echo what you say later on.

Power is a function of voltage and current. 12 A at 1V is the same amount of power as 0.1A at 120V.

i'm not sure that's true, do you have a source? the skin effect would allow AC to travel down the line more efficiently because energy will be moving down the line through the em field. with DC power you're saturating the core so you experience more resistivity

actually i think i was wrong (not sure though, i need to review my emag). i found this on wikipedia:

For example, at 60 Hz, a 2000 MCM (1000 square millimetre) copper conductor has 23% more resistance than it does at DC. The same size conductor in aluminum has only 10% more resistance with 60 Hz AC than it does with DC.[9]

This is a new generation of PoE called "PoEx+turbo" and is capable of delivering enough power to run most computers and low to mid range servers through ethernet. Try it out.

Consider the reason why we use AC at all.

Being able to use simple transformers?

youtube.com/watch?v=S7C5sSde9e4

To travel long distances

Another user, he wasn't very clear. IS AC MORE DEADLY THAN DC OR NOT???

Both of these. Not only that, AC motors are much more simple than DC counterparts.

Actually it's +48v
Cicso is non-standard.

>non standard
>cisco literally invented POE in 2000

Never Cisco and maybe passive poe, but not the spec stuff.

802.3af is 48v
802.3at is 56v

voltage doesn't really matter, it only puts power down after negotiation and if following the spec it's what the device wants which can be significantly lower

you can't measure 48v+ on the line of a bare cable

Cisco's implementation predates the standard and wasn't accepted for standardization.
It's non-standard, yes.

just use general safety rules when dealing with electricity. ensure a path through the heart can't be made. i've been shocked while arc welding and it was scary, but nbd since it went through right arm, through my right leg touching the steel table

how much current does it take to blow up an arm

Attached: OH MAY GAH.png (1599x904, 1.46M)

didn't answer the question again

ethernet over powerline is so 2010
power over ethernet is the new trend

Attached: file.png (355x355, 56K)

about tree fiddy

the idea of wireless transportation of electricity dates back to Tesla if not earlier

about tree fiddy

that would be power over ether

there's too many variables there (where it goes through your body, power levels, etc). if you're talking about ventricular fibrillation, AC requires less current to do so.
quora.com/Which-is-more-dangerous-AC-or-DC-power

not sure, i've seen videos of people getting fried on liveleak and they just tend to arc, then start smoking

Yes, so, indeed, to be able to use simple transformers.

Arc welding doesn't work with high voltages, though, so it really isn't particularly dangerous.

AC doesn't travel long distances better than DC. If anything, HVDC is used precisely because DC travels long distances better than AC (due to the skin effect).

If you paid attention, he got 10A DC across his load by using AC across the lines without the lines catching fire.
Due to the losses in the transformer that means he was getting more than 100W across the lines using AC while with DC they were starting to smoke.

There are some other reasons they use HVDC but it's not ideal everywhere because you basically need to put the lines underground (or on the ground) due to their weight and they're usually in big oil cooled pipes.

>If you paid attention, he got 10A DC across his load by using AC across the lines without the lines catching fire.
Because he stepped up the voltage, yes, which was easier to do with AC due to being able to use simple transformers. The same thing could certainly be done with DC, too, but the step-up equipment would be much more complex.

>There are some other reasons they use HVDC but it's not ideal everywhere because you basically need to put the lines underground (or on the ground) due to their weight and they're usually in big oil cooled pipes.
That's not the problem with HVDC. The problem with HVDC is that the converter stations are extremely expensive, precisely because they can't use simple transformers.

Correction. It was AC across the load still (or at least his meter was in AC mode).

>AC motors are much more simple than DC counterparts.
Not entirely true. Three-phase AC motors are very nice and simple, but single-phase AC motors generally have a starting problem, which can only be solved in fairly complex and/or suboptimal ways. There's a reason virtually all domestic motors are commutated.

>115 volts ac
so much for low voltage what the fuck type of reading is that

>hvdc
>underground cables
u w9 m5?

Attached: 800px-HVDC_Crossover_North-Dakota.jpg (800x600, 87K)

115V is low voltage.

Right, I forgot that current was the main contributor to setting lines on fire, so increasing the voltage as much as is reasonable is what allows for the higher power transmission.

>invents a standard
>doesn't comply with it
Based Cisco.

Sure its not PoE?

Tesla makes electric cars, not wireless power devices.

PoE power over ethernet. Its used to power surveillance cameras and other devices.

Yes, the Internet wants you dead. Well, Jow Forums does anyway.

Try hooking it up to your toaster oven and see how many Hot Pockets you can make before the house burns down.

how did you find out?

Do a lick test.

I unplugged my PC and I got a tingle from it when I touched the case of my PC. Now I know my Cable modem is the problem and probably something wrong with the house wiring, either on the ground site of the Electrical Wiring or the Television wiring.
Should I call the Cable company or an Electrician?

>caring for volts lmao
>not checking Amps
do you even physics breh

>That shield should have a direct path to ground,
Only on one side. Not that your CAT cables has shielding in the first place.

Holy shit you're a retard.

>True RMS

no, current dissipated on a wire depends on current not power
that's why on long lines voltage is pushed to the absolute limits

My response had nothing to do with line losses, it was a general power definition to show the poster some information.

You are correct, line losses are defined by the square of current multiplied by the line resistance. The only reason voltage is pushed higher is so it cam deliver the same amount of power across the line with less current to greatly reduce I2R losses.