Why the fuck doesn't more computer cases have vertical airflow paths?

Why the fuck doesn't more computer cases have vertical airflow paths?

What will happen if I rotate my Define C case like pic related?

Attached: horizontal vs vertical.jpg (2100x1020, 255K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dansdata.com/llpcs80.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Gy3nhYPUd7I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>vertical airflow
>you hang your case in air
>OP sucks dick
Yea it should be true.

Well, why don't you fucking try it and post results?

How are you supposed to keep both the top and bottom of the case exposed?

Because Dust.

Attached: Internals.jpg (1658x1559, 635K)

It doesn't matter, cooling wise.
And secondly, vertical means you have a fuckload of holes on the top of your case so your choices are to either keep it in a plastic bag to keep the dust (and liquids!) out when it's not running or dust it all the fucking time.

A better question is why dont more cases have ducts

Because unless you're building using a very specific parts list (i.e. old dell computers) the ducting isn't going to fit most builds.

Attached: NaturalHabitat[1].jpg (640x480, 73K)

There were cases that did it. Take a look at this beauty, which unfortunately is from 12 years ago and long extinct:
dansdata.com/llpcs80.htm

That's because parts were more standardised back in 2006. The average user made do with stock coolers, because they were more than enough, and tower coolers were a novelty.

Hot air rises retard, you learn this in third grade.

..very slowly. Completely irrelevant in the presence of fans.

both are the same anyway and accomplish same result

>but muh heat is lighter
retard alert

>The average user made do with stock coolers, because they were more than enough
well if by "average user" you mean the proverbial grandma with an email-checking box, then yes. That crowd has always used stock coolers and still does. Enthusiast coolers have been a thing ever since the lat 90s, though. But it did take some years for them to get as big and especially as tall as they now are. Coolers in 2006 were almost all blowdown "top" coolers, instead of towers, but plenty had 92mm fans, and 120s were starting to appear. I know because I had an XP120 on my Athlon 64, and that was a popular choice at the time.

The fans blow the hot air out the back and it rises. I can't believe on having to explain this shit.

dust settles on the bottom as well.
enjoy that kind of intake boomer

The millisecond hot air leaves the case, it's irrelevant. How stupid are you?

Yeah, blowdown coolers are what I was referring to. Probably could have phrased it better than "stock".

Tower coolers were just starting to become a thing. I remember getting a Scythe Ninja Plus in 2007 and it being a huge novelty at the time, and friends saying it was gonna warp my motherboard.

Attached: picrelated.gif (1000x2000, 330K)

The top needs a cover for the cables which makes it bigger while holding the same amount of stuff. There really isn't much benefit to a vertical layout over a standard layout most of the time.

Attached: horizontal vs vertical with cable cover.png (2100x1020, 1.29M)

I spilled coffee directly into the top of my case once because of my damn dog, they're a liability if you have them at ground level

Because dust ingress

rather than having air flow in one direction, why not have it flow in all three directions?

DUDE how about 4 directions

airflow is a meme

linus proved this

i havent used case fans in any cases ive built in in over 5 years with zero temp issues

Horizontal is better because gaming GPUs have fan direction going upwards.

holes in the top don't matter when it blows out of said holes. also, clean your room.

>Why the fuck doesn't more computer cases have vertical airflow paths?
Go ahead, suck up all the crap on the floor and plate your innards with it.
See if I care.

this kind of bait isn't even a little bit entertaining

Been using RV02 for 8 years and there are still no cases I want to buy

Attached: 1522988047.jpg (850x478, 47K)

Sucking air from under the case will immensely clog all radiators with dust.

The best possible airflow is vertical top-down flow.

>I spilled coffee directly into the top of my case once because of my damn dog, they're a liability if you have them at ground level

I simply don't drink while sitting under the table.

Nice case. Silverstone really needs to do a refresh of these.

Silverstone has a patent and only they can make that kind of case

Because there usually isn't enough outward airflow to prevent dust from falling in.

Case fans literally are a placebo

why the fuck do you care. build your shit the way you want to and move on with life.

/thread

My SilverStone RV03 is great. Had it since forever.

Because it doesn't make a shit, you retard.

Attached: newtolinux.jpg (3120x4160, 1.67M)

why not both ways, op? pic related my case, arrows = fans

Attached: whynotboth.jpg (717x622, 211K)

Irrelevant, as long as you maintain the right pressure or leave your computer on all the time then the dust will not settle.

It's called the FT05. As a RV02 user myself I don't see why anyone would buy a RV02 refresh over the FT05. The only advantage the RV02 has is 3 extra HDD slots.

>those books

Sup ESL

That patent expired last year. Jonsboo already has a similar type of case with two 140mm fans at the bottom.

low quality bait indeed, Linus is too busy working on his kernel to test case thermals.

I had an expensive Lian Li case back around 2000 with a vertical fan. Are they still called "blow holes" nowadays by the young whipper-snappers?

This is how I did mine.

Attached: airflow.jpg (800x600, 158K)

The efficiency of that cooling arrangement interests me.
I used to have one of those shitboxes.

Where are the drives?

Behind the mobo partition in the case. Pretty sure i recognize that case as some kind of Fractal Design

it has a top panel you know

It really does not matter at all. Natural convection plays such a small role in heat dispersion in the majority of cases that it's not even that detrimental to exhaust downwards. So long as the air in the enclosure is being replaced, everything will be fine.

The cases for which convection is a significant contributor to cooling are all passive.

>Turn case 90 degrees
>Achieve efficient design

Attached: 1515953370416.jpg (256x352, 16K)

the difference would be negligible

Because i can't put my sandvich and/or drink ontop of the case as it will block the airflow.

Why does this case have such shit airflow?

Attached: corsair_graphite_600t_001.jpg (550x550, 29K)

I've heard Silverstone holds the patent for vertical computer case design and that this is the only reason no one else does it.

why not put 2 fan on each side and have the upper one to blow out? retard

This is why I hang my dogs in the air

Since you're clearly a dumbass and don't understand thermodynamics, let me give you a few search terms to widen your understanding of how heat transfer works
SPECIFIC HEAT
THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY

Air is --thermally insulative-- dumbass. It transfers heat poorly. The only reason fans work as well as they do at transferring heat to the air is because they work like fucking madmen by transferring a lot of heat to a LOT of air.

Let's also help you get rid of this idiotic ``air rises'' meme you and all of the other boomers and children keep spouting. How fucking fast does the oil rise out of your peanut butter?

mac pro already solved this with its 2013 design

PC babby fags are just now starting to realize their cooling system is garbage

Attached: MacPro.102413.002.jpg (660x379, 29K)

It moves increasingly fast as it gets hotter, capable of creating substantial updrafts with significant amounts of energy. An example where this is relevant is the Compulab Airtop PC case. Granted it's very specifically engineered, but it's evident that it uses the very same forces you just deemed irrelevant.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gy3nhYPUd7I

You're a retard

If by solved you mean proved that Apple failed hard at understanding the concept, then yes.

Mac pro was literal hot garbage(can).

2 fans in from bottom and 1 or nothing out the top would be better

Because the bottom is obstructed and dusty.

Didn't that thing throttle because it couldn't stay cool enough?

Yep. Not enough surface area for heat dissipation. No-one bothered to do the maths.

Agreed. That's why I got rid of mine. Google that case and crackling sounds. Mine always did that.

It doesnt help the cooling. I built pc in silverstone case for customer because he specifically wanted "vertical layout." When I put it together I did tests in both positions... and there was no change in temperatures. Imo the only benefit of layout was that all ports were easily accesible from the top and cables were hidden under cover. Of disadvantages I can think that not all gpu coolers work well in that orientation because of heatpipes, it makes case bigger and more noise is coming out of top.

To me ideal case would be something like that silverstone but with standard horizontal layout and less plastic. Btw there is some cooltec case that copys silverstone vertical layout, but it is much worse in cooling. Because of aesthetics they made it more restrictive and it shows. When I took out top cover during tests temps went down by 10 degrees.

>No-one bothered to do the maths.
What makes me laugh about this is that people still think Apple just doesn't bother to do testing and so create poor value for money products when in fact they know exactly what they're doing and knowingly create poor value for money.
Do you really think they didn't know that crappy macbook air cant get above 800mhz most of the time because of head dissipation issues? They knew that shit from the start.

I've used a pc in my past like on the right

temps were much better considering I did literally nothing other than placing it different.

also makes all of the ports way easier to access

case manufacturers are car cucks, they think everything must work like a car: fresh new air in from the front and exhaust fumes out on the back

Because computer desks have those little cubbie holes for the tower to go into, so having that shit go up instead of out back isn't so good for airflow

Attached: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fep.yimg.com%2Fay%2Ftotallyfurniture%2Fhome-office-black-corner-computer-writing-desk (1000x1000, 339K)

where do you put your legs on that?

who's that designed for? midgets?

Alright bad example, have another one. It's not a good shot but you can see the back of the tower shelf in the lower left is bare so with horizontal airflow the hot air is free to vent out into the open thus keeping the case's surroundings from becoming stagnated.

Attached: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.raugh.net%2Fwoodnerd%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F05%2FUltimate-Computer-Desk (1344x1007, 971K)

Yeah, I figured and know what you originally meant, but still: I still see these kind of desks in the store and I always wonder what kind of brain amputated moron wouldn't notice this major flaw. There's loads of desks made in that style. It's just as stupid as having a keyboard tray. Ridiculous, if you ask me.

>they don't own a Silverstone FT02

literally the patrician case

I'd buy one, IF SILVERSTONE HAD ANY PRESENCE IN SCANDINAVIA

Lay it on its side

This, silly OP.

Because people think that "hot air goes up actually has an effect" in a ventilated case.

Its pointless på, and you collect more dust that way.

Holy shit lol

>not building a hermetically sealed container for your PC, filling it with CO2, and cooling your PC like never before

Still not comparable to a 12v fan that pushes above 60cfm.

You do realise that in a sealed contained, pressurized CO2 is room temperature, right?

Where did I mention pressurized in that post?

looking at this desk gave me knee pain.

I fucking hate office desks. 99% of the time a table provides more workspace, more legroom, sturdier build, and ends up cheaper.

>what is online shopping?

I never built a pc so explain this:
Why is a bigger case with lots of open space inside a case beneficial to temps? Wouldn't removing as much as excess space as possible, while retaining the same intake and exhaust throughput, lead to a faster air exchange?

Heat soak: the less volume of air you have moving in your case, the less time it will take for heat to build up.
Either you have a tiny volume with a high air flow rate to minimize the amount of time air has to spend inside the heat exchange area, or you have more volume with slower air flow.

yeah, but if the air has literally no place to linger, it goes in, past your heatsink, and out the other side again

Not if there is little or no airflow.

wouldn't just one fan on either side with the same rpm give me the desired airflow?

If you have your pc case on the floor, then vertical airflow becomes worthless.

My Silverstone Raven RV05 does exactly this. I believe they have patented the design, so that's why we aren't allowed innovation.

now I am actually reading the thread and people say the patent is expired now... so who knows maybe it's just slow design->manufacturing and we might start seeing more in the future. Companies perhaps haven't had enough time to teaser and meme-market the idea, and are going to keep on riding the RGB-train a bit longer.

Because the extra amount of air that is moved naturally from being hot is so little that it's irrelevant.

>why we aren't allowed innovation.
Thank fuck because that's a really retarded case.

>Why the fuck doesn't more computer cases have vertical airflow paths?

I know only about Silverstone Fortress FT02, are there more pc cases like that?

why dont gpus upside down if hot air rises

Give case legs or have intake on side and outtake on top.

Assists both active and passive cooling. OP is right, gaymurs ate brain dead as usual.

Attached: 1523083059536-pol.jpg (600x877, 143K)

What is the point in case, if it does not protect from water spillage and dust?