Admit it, it's magic, there is no way that this should be able to do what it does

Admit it, it's magic, there is no way that this should be able to do what it does.

Attached: acb155e49e8c47146db7eeef0c490392-970-80.png (970x1212, 452K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zachtronics.com/kohctpyktop-engineer-of-the-people/
eater.net/8bit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anything more than opening and closing transistors is magic.

Well this is what I mean. How does directing the flow of electricity, and the simple addition, multiplication, division and subtraction via logic gates that modern processors do manage to make it possible for me to shitpost on Jow Forums with people from all over the world whilst simultaneously watching ripped Japanese cartoons and mining imaginary money? Trying to think about exactly how a processor does what it does, considering how it's made and how small it is, is like trying to visualise the size of the universe. Makes your head spin.

t. brainlet CS student/grad

EE master race teaches you how all of this shit works.

Attached: d27.png (645x729, 75K)

Shit nigga I understand this shit and it's still basically magic

It's just plumbing with electrons user

Attached: 1515281924176.png (1001x758, 151K)

>EE

Ahhh, the too dumb for productive programming career path.

I mean, true (ish) but still, if you're goin by normie metrics, this shit is definitely magic

>2018
>nehalem

>Admit it, it's magic
Of course it's magic.

>there is no way that this should be able to do what it does.
Yes there is.

Are you a normie?

>children not realizing that the marvel of modern computing cannot exist without both.

A nice city can't exist without people who clean up the trash. Doesn't mean they deserve respect.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Meme quote spammed by redditors.

Go back.

Motherfuckin' miracles, man.

Attached: Magiceverywhere.gif (500x282, 736K)

how does elecriticty on a configurable transistor works?
how your water company delivers water to your house?
how a black hole is able to transform information to another information
how is a space heater from 2008 use magic

>

Attached: 1496925989771.png (645x729, 70K)

How does the attraction and repulsion of subatomic particles constrained within energy fields give rise to all existence? Gotta be magic.

Plumbing doesn't work at the nanometre level, and even the most advanced water works in the world pale in comparison to the technological marvel that is a modern processor. If you don't understand that, you don't really understand how they work.

That's a really stupid way to think.

ofc it is you just need a bit of imagination to see it

That's what you like to think, until sanitation crews go on strike and the city shuts down within half a day. There's a reason most city workers are paid better than you and have better benefits and cushy retirements/pensions, especially the sanitation crews.

Plebs are plebs. Who cares what they want?

If you're trying to bait, you're doing a bad job. You just look like a dumb kid RPing.

I genuinely don't care about people who have fucked up their lives to the extent they have to work menial jobs. Fine, they may be necessary, but so are lots of insignificant things.

For the time being at least.

Lmao, CS majors are at the bottom of the food chain in the academic world.

guys, I fixed speccy and meltdown.

intlel hire me

Attached: 1523104004130.png (970x1212, 435K)

>implying anyone here, most of all OP, finished university

nigga this shit is first semester CS.

You don't have to care about them but showing them disrespect because of your own biases is unwarranted. It's people like you who make other people think communism is actually a good idea.

First semester shit if you go to Hogwarts, perhaps. Shit is legit magic.

>be male
>be born in western europe

people don't need to fuck their own lives up, when you have feminism.

>You should respect those benith you because 'feelings'

Imagine being this weak.

i can tickle your prostate with my magic wand if you want.

>Imagine being this weak.

imagine being this autistic.

Are you being drip fed soy as you post this?

this is bait user don't reply

Fcuk you, don't tell me what to do

identify yourself

Attached: master.png (354x350, 12K)

It's not that hard to understand. Learning how this stuff functions on a basic level just requires not being a brainlet.

I think its the scaling that really blows peoples' minds.
You can look at a simple adder and understand it pretty well, and that's basically the core of what processors are doing, but you have to scale that up by millions.

They deserve respect. They do a work many people wont like, your health and environment depends on their job.
Surely you are one of those people that take not only city services, but a bunch of things for granted, when in reality there are people behind the infrastructure that makes you comfy.
Guess what, unless you are a billionare with nothing else to do, you are serving someone. I hope that you dont find likeminded people among those you serve, because that would mean that your job doesnt generate you any respect.

>not respecting everyone who works

It actually doesn't. Quite simple really. When the logic gates get into a particular configuration, they send an electronic signal down the cable to the Jow Forums servers. The Jow Forums server's logic gates see the signal and give you back the website data. Your logic gates receive it and load it into your screen's memory. You see it, press buttons, and choose to send it. Your logic gates receive the data and react to it by sending electrical signals to the Jow Forums servers.

It's not much more difficult then understanding how a car works. Transistors are magic, but anything above that really isn't.

zachtronics.com/kohctpyktop-engineer-of-the-people/

>They deserve respect

No. Respect is earned. A janitor that cleans truck stop bathrooms earns nothing but my pity and disgust.

t. Brainlet EE student/grad

CE master race teaches you how all this shit works AND how to program for it.

Attached: b90.png (645x729, 127K)

^ Brainlet who doesn't have a CE degree and didn't develop a pipelined processor from scratch in verilog to understand it's just a series of incrementally improving subsystems.

Also, most of what you see is nigger tier branch prediction speed up subsystems.. the kind of shit that bit intel in the ass.

EE? That's pure CE nigger
Correct. You can always tell a non-college grad when they confused CS/EE/CE

Never half ass two things.
CE teaches you enough to be ok at EE and ok at CS, but not really good at either.

Dear community college grad. A CE takes a wealth of CS courses up to and likely past OS.
CE is literally the holy grail of engineering major. You have to take a considerable amount of EE and CS courses + integrate it functionally into CE.
I can code anywhere along the stack + understand hardware down to physical layer.

That being said, I respect those with EE degrees as it is a level of abstraction and work-ability that is challenging. However, my gripe w/ EE is that it all seemed to be abstract for historic reasons and nigger tier in terms of tooling/etc.

>Dear community college grad.
I got a bsc in CS and masters in EE from TU munich but nice try internet smartass

Intel could not have built this in 1970.
THIS is what you get after working hard for over four decades.

eater.net/8bit/

Let me un-magic that for you.

Shit's not that hard.

You can literally make a computer from plumbing. It's going to be slow, but it will work.

> CS
> EE
So you're not qualified to talk about CE and since you don't have a degree in it, its the reason your comments about it are wrong.

Thanks for helping me narrow things down.

I am as qualified talking about CE as you talking about CS and EE.

Also dumbfags, modern chip design has fuck all to do w/ EE save for a few people who do fundamental power analysis, rerouting, fixing and tuning of the end product that comes from a CE using verilog to design it. CE is CS on a whole new level that requires you to wear many hats and think in a completely different way than procedural programming. And yes, you have to maintain still a good working knowledge of EE so as to work with the IDEs/tooling necessary to make a modern chip. EE's do power analysis/component analysis and ensure everything works when it comes together. CE is the hardest engineering degree and has the most flexibility.

False. CE encompasses CS/EE.
EE/CS don't encompass CE.
Prove me wrong : Hint, you cant.
So, as a CE major, I am qualified to talk about EE/CS. However, the reverse is not true.

why so edgy?

Attached: bismuto.jpg (239x211, 13K)

You have your head so far up your ass its amazing.
I know its hard to admit to yourself that you made that poor of a choice, but considering that you honestly think that CE encompasses fundamental CS and EE knowledge in a single degree makes it seem like thats not your biggest problem.

Where did you go for university? I am planning on CE but I need to make sure that I get a good curriculum.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as CE, is in fact, half of CS plus half of EE, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, a total waste of a degree.

Attached: 1407119379594.png (724x611, 129K)

Attached: _1521581644370.png (403x393, 170K)

Jokes aside, as an EE student I wish my uni had more programming modules available.

I've only done C and PIC assembly so far, next year theres's a compulsory module with more C and also some ARM assembly.

If by magic you mean hundreds of billions of dollars, man-millennia of engineering effort, and still mostly incremental improvements, then yeah.

Yeah I haven't decided on a degree yet but I like both EE and CS, so I think I will plan on going for CE to get a good background in both

>find programming quite interesting in EE
>somehow win a power systems scholarship
>don't even enjoy studying power systems
>required to do an internship this summer to keep the scholarship

Attached: 9d5.png (2688x2688, 173K)

KEK I know a guy who suggested I look into power systems since I showed interest in EE. I noped out of there as fast as I could

Attached: 1505070399040.jpg (276x308, 11K)

Processor design/computer architecture are always cross-listed courses in EE and CS.

>So user, we see you've got a power systems scholarship and lots of work experience in power systems engineering
>Why do you want to become a programmer? We've got plenty of candidates who have had much more work experience in programming than you

>tfw no comfy high paying programming job in a tech firm
>going to be stuck in power systems engineering for the rest of my life with shitty pay

Attached: Job-Interview.jpg (615x409, 25K)

> Doesn't know that CE is a mix of EE/CS and thus why it is much harder than both degree programs
> mfw Signal Processing coursework
> mfw EE circuitry design coursework
> mfw grad courses in DSP
> mfw software defined radio
> mfw control theory courses
> mfw Grad level mathematic proofs courses
> mfw statistics courses
> mfw OS
> mfw embedded systems coursework
> mfw comp security grad courses
^brainlet who obviously has never been exposed to CE at a top ranking university. Also, the degree program is EE&CE degrees combined.

Depends on where you go to university and where you apply it
I'd rather not state my alma matter. However, it is one of the top 5 universities in America for CE/CS.

Get a CE degree and focus moreso on CS.
Embedded Systems is a sweet spot. You can branch into robotics/ai/database design/chip design/OS/Distributed systems anything you like w/ a proper CE degree. Also, all of the material you cover that is EE related will help immensely in your career and everyday life. There isn't an aspect of hardware or software that I am not comfortable working with. These are the systems who, if you pursue all aspects of your degree program in industry end up becoming systems architects/etc. Many don't rise to this mark and get salty.

Yeah, at my uni we developed a multi-stage pipelined processor from scratch. We designs advanced amplifier circuits and DSP related modules. We did self driving car work w.r.t to control systems. We did an OS from scratch in C. This is the point/measure of a CE degree IMO.. Literally gaining exposure to an immense amount of work across all domains and at all OSI layers.

Yeah, this is the real grunt of EE :( .. I feel like, if they just up the tool level/standards that it wouldn't be so droconian and nigger tier. I noped out of going further into EE after DSP. It felt like such a convoluted shit show stuck in the past.

Better to go the CE/CS route and work at higher abstraction levels. Not to mention that they keep sending lower level shit overseas Year over year because that's where the manufacturing floors and fabs are. High demand for EE types near the production.. Not so much in design. I worked on a product that brought in 5-6 billion a year alone and I recall there were like 2 EE guys and 1 mech E on our floor.. the rest were CS/CE. The EE guys were always getting niggered with power analysis work and the MechE guy did Autocad thermal/mechanical stress analysis all day long.

Processor design/comp arch are CE courses.
Honestly, I feel the biggest issue is that a number of Universities don't know how to label their courses/distinguish their degree programs properly. EE is circuit level physical layer (OSI stack). You get into verilog processor design/comp arch as you veer into CE.

>Get a CE degree and focus moreso on CS

Yep, that is exactly what I've been thinking about. My hope would be to get into Stanford/MIT since they continually rank high for CE, but I also don't want to meme myself out of a better CE education at a different school due to being blinded by the reputation of those schools (thus the reason I asked your alma matter).

Thanks for your advice, this a really good thread.

>That instruction decoding
KEK, a CISClet.

>My hope would be to get into Stanford/MIT
>MIT

Attached: mit acceptance letter.png (616x754, 77K)

>so many women at the table
I'd walk out, wouldn't want to work there.

>It felt like such a convoluted shit show stuck in the past.
Fucking this, I can't imagine being a full time embedded dev. Some of the toolchains for microcontrollers out there are fucked up.

>Better to go the CE/CS route and work at higher abstraction levels
Too late for me now, I've ended up at a department that doesn't offer CE as an option. Might as well stick with EE and hope for the best.

Exactly why I said I didn't want to be memed out of a better education. MIT certainly isn't the leader anymore.
I admire MIT for things like Lincoln Labs and the SAGE system, but they definitely seem to be slipping in quality.

>and the simple addition, multiplication, division and subtraction
Well, there's more to it than that.

You've got a ton of of simple little operations that can add up to something quite complex. Then you add complex systems on top of these complexities, and keep adding more and more until you've got something quite robust and complicated.

Consider reading the book "But How Do It Know", which effectively explains how a computer works in the simplest of terms, and from the most basic of starting points. Then, consider learning some assembly.

Furthermore, I should specify that those aren't the only schools I am looking at. Georgia Tech is pretty high on my list as well. I just want to make sure that I get a good quality education.

Eurofag, but IIRC the best alternative US uniswould be CMU, Berkeley, UIUC, UT Austin, Virginia/Georgia Tech?

Cool and yea my alma matter is in those ranks.
Be sure to note whether a university is research based or not as the curriculum will be tuned for it. Look at undergrad vs grad rankings as they are completely different programs. Research uni's are amazing in that there are research opportunities available to you from sophomore year and forward and you'll be challenged to a degree befitting of being groomed for a PhD. That being said, this is different from a general university that grooms you for the work place. Shoot for the stars w/ your reach schools. Beware of the debt you'll incur (it's no joke). Uni's like Stanford/MIT have the reputation they have for the strictness of acceptance and the curriculum. Also, I can't stress enough the value of the networking effect at such places. When your roommates and classmates are founders/Chief engineers/Venture capitalist and Executives by the middle of their careers and you know someone at just about every top ranking company/startup, it's invaluable. Need to transfer jobs? Boom, call up your friend at nvidia, intel, qualcomm, google and ask him to do an internal reference. But yeah, CE/CS is where its at.

Yeah, those all look like very good schools. I have a friend who recruits from Georgia Tech (albeit, for chemical engineering students) and he regards it pretty highly.

> Fucking this, I can't imagine being a full time embedded dev. Some of the toolchains for microcontrollers out there are fucked up.
Yeah dude, its even worse for EEs .. So fuck that life. That's why I dumped it and swung more towards CS even in my CE degree. Embedded systems is based and I focused moreso on ARM architectures in Uni. So, as long as your uni is using cutting edge dev boards/curriculum embedded can be supper based. Even still, this is why you lean more towards CS as a CE to ensure you have a portable degree that wont be nigger tier drudge work.

> Too late for me now, I've ended up at a department that doesn't offer CE as an option. Might as well stick with EE and hope for the best.
Dam, my uni was EE/CE combined degree with our choice of focus. I went towards CE for depth courses and even more towards embedded/CS. Chip design in verilog was amazing and eye opening but I stopped at multi-core architecture. It also too felt drudge and locked in.

Research universities definitely seem to be the way to go. Thanks for the help!

Gotta get lots of acceptance letters and run through how much each is gonna cost to finance.. package that in with how you evaluate the diminishing returns of extra $$$ spent for name/prestige/etc. HI hilariously got acceptance letters from all such universities and ironically got the best financial aid package from the top ranking one. I got a number of scholarships/etc from Georgia tech but they ended up being quite pricey compared to the other Uni that was ranked much higher. I was salty about not going to Georgia Tech... but I'm glad I ended up where I did. Graduated w/o hardly any debt. Meanwhile, others were saddled with like $150k+

I think the main problem I have is that power systems scholarship is too juicy to give up, it's ~8.4k USD a year.

Do you think I can get away with doing a ton of programming in my spare time, personal projects etc?

8.4kusd is nothing a year. I got private scholarships for more than that.
> Do you think I can get away with doing a ton of programming in my spare time, personal projects etc?
Yeah man and/or do course overloading. I think I took 5 courses at my peak at one point. All were degree related. If you're hungry enough, you'll gain valuable knowledge. Just be aware of the industry outside your degree program. EE's catch the shit end of the stick because all of the fundamental production/dev work went overseas for this.

Yeah I'm definitely going to have to work on scholarships and such. Do you have any advice for what kinds of award programs / extracurriculars helped you (e.g., national merit scholars)?
As far as classes go, I'll be taking dual-enrollment cal III and a proofs class along with discrete mathematics and a intro computer science course next year, so I would hope that I am somewhat prepared.

Ok I would like to hijack this thread to discuss an actual miracle/mystery that happens on one of my computers
>inb4 brainlet

>use f.lux
>watch a video
>f.lux is in it's filtered mode
>for some reason the video player can 'go through' the filter, nothing weird about that.
>take a screenshot, save it
>now the screenshot, being viewed in a picture viewer that doesn't 'go through the filter' still shows the image as if it's not filtered.
>even the file explorer preview shows every image in the folder filtered except the screenshot

Attached: 1514668120155.gif (250x250, 222K)

>I got private scholarships for more than that.
Forgot to mention that I'm a Britbong, engineering scholarships are harder to come by over here and 8.4k USD is on the higher end of the scale for bong scholarships.

I'm not inclined to stick around in Europe as the opportunities for engineers/programmers seems more limited than the US.

Yeah, every university has a scholarship/fellowship resource department. Hilariously, no one tends to know about it. I got in touch with mine and she was sending me tailored scholarships by the bundles on a weekly basis. Some had zero applicants and the people were begging for someone to give them out to. Most just require a good GPA/essay. Sign up for robo club and some other domain related clubs on campus. If you're in highschool, do the honors club, K-club, math club, etc.. you know the drill.

Highschools have a resource department for this too. Ask your guidance counselor. But yeah, starting from your junior year you need to live in your guidance counselor and scholarship resource officer's midst. Lunch break = be in their office. Form a personal relationship and get them excited about working for you.

I came out of highschool w/ fucktons and got even more while in college. I even managed to get a female only one because I became that based at the essays.. HAHAH

Look into FASFA if you qualify. If you don't be aware that a number of these scholarships will subtract from financial aid. That being said, its better to get scholarships you dont have to pay back than grants/loans.

K, fair enough. Just find as many as you can that dont' carry restrictions. My understanding is that there are shit tons of global scholarshps that niglets aren't even applying to for years.

Kek that's really good to hear that getting lots of scholarships is feasible. I am definitely going to get in contact with my school's guidance counselor and see what I can do to improve my chances. Thanks for your help!

MIT undergrad is meh. If you go to MIT, you want to go for grad school.

i still need help