Friendly reminder

Friendly reminder

Attached: did_i_mention_writing_docs.jpg (800x800, 77K)

>just don't write docs

problem solved

I disagree. Programming, in a professional environment, is usually wrangling a bunch of shitty APIs and trying to force them to do a bunch of things you'd think would be obvious and straightforward but aren't.

>he thinks you can get away without writing docs

Attached: sample3.png (617x655, 498K)

Take class write

It's like 70% writing code = dealing with dumb shit you and other people didn't quite design sensibly, 15% writing the most basic tests and docs, and 15% meetings [with QA and project management].

Even as an indie developer you sure as fuck aren't writing nearly as many docs.

Writing docs is a good way to make yourself replaceable.

>Writing docs is a good way to make yourself mananger.
fxfy

I can

I can read my own code and if another person has to read my code chances are I'm no longer at that company so why do I care

>not writing your own libraries and getting paid extra for taking longer
It's like you just got out of uni aww how cute

That's because once they realize how easy your job is they can outsource it to the poo's. Here's a tip: don't use higher level languages

>Hey, boss, the thing is done and running but not documented, would you like me to take another week or two to write it all down or should I pick up another task right away and get back to documenting this one later?
And that's how I've been avoiding having to make docs since 2015. Plus getting pay-rise for being irreplaceable.

Your code probably sucks anyway and will need to be rewritten by someone competent who knows how to write docs

so what, i still got paid lmao

Well I can't argue with that

Someone who can write docs is more important to any company than someone who can write clever code.

Just work for yourself lmao

>tfw when I actually kind of want to write a bit of documentation because the company i work for literally has almost NONE
>tfw when we literally don't have enough time to write any

Attached: 1296162616768.png (400x400, 5K)

Nobody writes doc in modern world.

Are you illiterate or something? It takes me all of 15 minutes to write up a document explaining the structure of a program, and you should be commenting as you go.

Annotate your code and come up with a spec that doesn't discuss features outwith the discussion until references become relevant.

>Are you illiterate or something?
t. junior coder

>writing code for a paycheck
why do people keep falling for this meme? a job in programming is the worst job you will ever have. companies have started changing over to open-air offices and packing them with smelly pajeets and bathless trannies who don't wear shoes half the time (that's not a joke). programming as a respectable career is dead. get a certification in something like water treatment or power plant operations and program for fun on your own time. actual jobs are more rewarding and pay just as well as a meme job sitting at a desk all day writing documentation that nobody will ever read. any anons looking to be employed as programmers consider yourself warned.

>In water treatment

You could do PLC Programming if you wanted to get away from the cesspool that is the modern day office environment.

Would you rather your job be in boring grey cubicles where you have to wear slacks and a button down shirt and talk to Kathy from HR by the watercooler when you're thirsty?

i've considered it but i'm happy with plant management for the time being.

i wear work pants and flannel shirts to work and talk shit with the mechanics out in the garage when i'm bored. it's a pretty laid back environment.

> Reinventing the wheel
No wonder why you want to get paid extra, enjoy minimum wage

>writing tests
>writing code

The fact that whoever made this image felt it was a good idea to write those two bullets separatedy makes me very sad and disapointed.
You're doing it wrong if your default isnt TDD

Clearly they're not "the wheel" if they barely work

TDD isn't the holy grail

If your docs aren't succinct you suck at writing them.

Tell that to epic and their shitty ue4 docs
I fucking hate blueprint kiddies

I work at a bank and just recently the business department commissioned us the development of a new digital solution for a bunch of a commonly know activities the client was already used performing traditionally at terminals and the internet bank "web-cobol" quimera thing.
There's two Android (Kotlin) and iOS (Swift3) apps, there's a middleware layer written in JAVA full of microservices for the many business resources, there's a API written in node to communicate with the mainframe and we also had a dude camping alongside the cobolers enclave with the mission to create a new table in the DB2.

The front end code has no documentation whatsoever since both are thin client and hardly seem to show any bugs in homologation
The JAVA part has documentation only it's the endpoints and general parametrizations that might be useful in some case
The API, on the other hand, is vastly documented JUST because it's an API after all so it's supposed to be used by many other new projects

No but it's a crucial first step in the right direction, especially when the projects gets bigger and you need to pinpoint problems

>A really important/large business like a bank
>Good documentation
Unbelievable

>barely work
Are you really that mentally challenged to not be able to re-use some existing code
>inb4 not everything is plug and play