Anyone on here have an old PPC mac? I have a PowerBook g4

Anyone on here have an old PPC mac? I have a PowerBook g4
>pic related

I use mine for DVDs. Web browsing is atrocious. Playing Halo isn't bad but can't get it working with my 360 controller. Writing documents in Open Office is fine.

You?

Attached: 55J2tHgmbVlZhjQU.jpg (800x600, 51K)

Btw I'm running 10.4

PowerMac G5. The Quad model. It's my main computer.

Web browsing is fine with TenFourFox, AdBlock Plus, and NoScript. Still play UT2004. Have Office 2004 which works fine. Emulate old game systems, which is mostly fine.

Runs 10.5.

I'm guessing that the G5 is exponentially more powerful. I can hardly get wikipedia to load in TenFourFox on my PowerBook. What systems can you emulate? Anything 3D?

I've been thinking about trying 10.5. Lots of people say it's super slow on the g4s, but a lot say it's not bad.

>not running OmniWeb as it was meant to be run

You could just get an iPad and run a space heater in your room for the same effect but with functional internet

Anyone run AIX, Linux, or OpenBSD/macppc on these?

I hear they run OpenFirmware. Discovered OpenBoot on my Sun T5120 and it is a refreshing change from BIOS/UEFI

I ran MorphOS but didn't want to buy it. I've tried BSD but to no avail. Don't see much of a point in running Linux as I daily that on my x86-64 machine. Have (unfortunately) sold off all my other OSX machines.

May try BSD again. I really do love PCC it's a shame Apple had to drop it.

I really appreciate the efforts of the obsd developers and community. They actually run it on their laptops, so they’re interested in having it be usable as a user system in addition to making sure it is stable for long runtimes.

OpenBSD's been great on all of the PowerPC Macs I've tried it on, it's my go to non-Mac OS X OS for them. The only issue I've ever had with it was that it doesn't support IP over FireWire

I have the last gen eMAC G4. I have a now broken Debian install on it. I'm probably going to put OpenBSD on it once I get the time.

What kinds of things do (did) you do with it?

mainly photo color corrections since the display had better colors than my TN LCD on my main machine.

and as a ssh terminal. I got it for free so I've really only ever used it for testing stuff.

Yeah i got mine for free too. Actually haf three of them and kept the best one and stripped the other two of their parts

I use a 12" Powerbook G4. Incredibly comfortable to type on, so I keep it around. I'm running Tiger on it with 1GB of RAM. It's smooth and the software support is good. I'd like to upgrade it with an SSD and more RAM at some point.

I adore my 15"s keyboard. I too would like another gig of ram if the mobo can support 1gb x 2. It's currently 512mb x 2, as well as an ssd. That being said, is IDE ssd actually faster than 7200 RPM hdd?

Fami?

my enabler sells them to me at $5 a piece and they continue to multiply
usually just set them up with date appropriate general purpose stacks and just use them for whatever I feel like, for the last two weeks I've been shitposting a lot from a 15'' G4/800 iMac
dual-core G5s tear TenFourFox a new asshole, my 2 GHz DC was great for that with JS and everything when I was running it last year
>I can hardly get wikipedia to load in TenFourFox on my PowerBook.
TFF is heavy but I find that kind of hard to believe honestly, Wikipedia is pretty doable even on 604s
in any case I always run dual browser setups on 10.4 with Camino as the primary, it runs faster and handles the JS of most sites you give a shit about

Attached: gay hipster orgy.jpg (3696x2124, 3.95M)

>AIX
>on these?
Are you retarded? The only thing a RS6000 machine and a PowerMac have in common is the processor architecture.

Sorry let me clarify on the Wikipedia comment. I can hardly get TenFourFox to run on my machine period. It takes forever to start, or do anything like even loading Wikipedia.

I need to do a fresh install, that may be part of it. Should also clean it out.

Significantly faster. I have a cheap chinese IDE ssd that makes the system a lot more usable, sitting at 1.5 GB of RAM, updated 10.4, and misc apps compiled form tigerports

No TRIM support, though, so every 3-4 months I have to image the drive, wipe it, then restore to fix garbage related slowdown (won't happen if you aren't compiling lots of stuff), so you might find it more trouble than it's worth.

they probably could run it with the proper hardware support baked into AIX as the ANS demonstrated, IBM at one point expressed interest in getting Mac OS on their prosumer PPC boxes too
but getting either of those working now on just any old mac or RS/6 would be an extraordinary feat of reverse engineering
pretty much my experience on the 800, is it an earlier one like an 867/1.0? you'd think the 1.33/1.5s would be a little better
either way try the Camino+TFF thing, you'll probably find it way more bearable, I daily drove a mid-range G4 PPC system this way around 2014-2015

I'll have to look into it. Probably a 80gb since I don't want to dump money into it lol

That's a lot of apple. I bet you suck dicks.

Thanks user I'll definitely look into Camino. No I believe it's a 1.5ghz, but boy do these things get hot, so I'm sure it's rarely running at max speed.

you should see the storage unit in my back yard where I regularly eat shit from my own hands

my iBook is a fucking housefire as well
battery's still good though, when I find the restore disk set for it to get it all factory shined again I might use it as an SSH box/ball warmer

Yeah I have three batteries. None of them great but one will last a good 30 minutes to an hour of light constant use.

not even sure how long mine lasts to be honest, I haven't used it much since I'm waiting to re-install OS X on it

also blogposting a rev 1 G3/400 I just rebuilt with OS 8.5.1 because whatever

Attached: IMG_5080.jpg (3315x2642, 2M)

Ive been thinking of running os 9 on my g4

aluminum powerbooks won't run it directly but you can set up classic mode using a 9.2.2 universal image from the Macintosh Garden
honestly I don't use it that much on 10.4 systems since there's enough good contemporary stuff for OS X, but it's come in handy for bridge box work

classic is definitely more fun to play with overall though, more plentiful abandonware and easymode ricing with kaleidoscope, cooperative multitasking and other design flaws are shit but not really that big of a deal for most actual use

>it would probably run is the OS supported it
Gee, you think so? That's the whole fucking point, it doesn't.

>No TRIM support, though, so every 3-4 months I have to image the drive, wipe it, then restore to fix garbage related slowdown (won't happen if you aren't compiling lots of stuff), so you might find it more trouble than it's worth.
What chink shit are you using that doesn't do TRIM automatically. Any decent IDE SSD does that as it's know you can't call it yourself like with SATA ones. Unless you're using a CF or SD card adapter or SATA-PATA bridge.

stop being so mad nigger

Dual 450 GigE
800 GigE Titanuim
1.33" late '05 iBook
All of them need HDDs and RAM bad so they just sit in my storage room near the frankeneMac not pictured.

Attached: G4s.png (815x612, 380K)

I would suck a dick for a good 500 MHz TiBook
or a 500 MHz mystic G4

Keep checking ebay. PPC laptops are dirt cheap (unless its a FUCKING CLAMSHELL G3). Externally that tibook is fine but internally it has some issues, the area under the power button gets scary hot.
$40 was $40 though.

>is wrong
>waahh stop being mad at me
Fuck yeah I'm mad you retard.

I bought a G4 Mac Mini in 2005. I still have it but lost the power supply so I haven't used it for years.

Yeah I used to run debian and gentoo on PowerMac G3 and on a Ultra 10 PPC64. It was quite slow but usable some 14 years ago.

I installed my first linux on a PowerPC years and years ago. IIRC it was called yellow dog linux or something. Anyone remember this or if it even exists anymore.

All of my (client) machines are ppc Macs, posting this from an iBook G4 1.42.
I use them for everything. My desktop is a PowerMac G4 MDD with dual 1.33 CPUs, and it can browse the web perfectly fine. It even plays 10 bit 720p and some low profile 1080p videos.
I also use an XServe G5 (Dual 2.3GHz, 7GiB of ram) for encoding videos.
I have a PowerMac G3 with OS 9.2.2 and a G4 upgrade that I use for retroposting and starting (ironic, of course) flamewars between Wintel and Macintosh users here in Jow Forums.
And I'm in the process of fixing a 17" iMac G5 for looking up datasheets, playing music and whatnot in the workshop.
iBook and XServe are running Debian, G4 is running 10.5.8 (Though I have an up to date GNU userland in it thanks to macports), and I'm planning on installing 10.5.8 on the iMac too.

Attached: neofetch-2018-04-08-01-58-15-6306.png (1024x768, 159K)

Autism is a hell of a drug.

I directly blame the 8bitguy for the price of clamshells lol

Yeah, I have a PowerMac G5 quad core and a few PowerBooks/iBooks and an old blue iMac from the 90s that runs MacOS 9. I run NetBSD on my PowerBook G4 with a 1GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM. It has a 64GB SSD in it right now. I installed NetBSD with FVWM and it's pretty comfy. Web browsing is slow but everything else works fine. The PowerMac G5 runs OpenBSD and is my secondary desktop. It has 4GB of RAM and a total of around 800GB of storage. It works great for web browsing with Chromium.

Attached: 56percentfaceapple.png (649x732, 594K)

What browser do you use on NetBSD and where did you get Chromium for OpenBSD powerpc from? Did you build it from ports or is there a binary package?