Gentoo vs Arch thread

Gentoo vs Arch thread.

Which is better for getting the system you want? Better for laptops? Better for desktops? Most stable? Etc.

Attached: c68241b8-07d3-4790-b270-dd7606e48df9.jpg (540x304, 31K)

neither

Get a Mac, OP. It's great for faggots

>Which is better for getting the system you want?
LFS

>Better for laptops? Better for desktops?
Void and/or Hyperbola for both.

>Most stable?
Slackware and OpenBSD

Arch is definitely better for laptops.

Attached: America_2017.png (600x887, 854K)

OP confirmed for faggot by the millionth time

arch for laptops and desktops
laptops because compiling everything would take years
desktops for consistency

gentoo is just a meme

Archfag reporting in.
Gentoo is, for all intents and purposes, a more customizable, minimal, and "Unix" like os.
There are only a few positives that arch has over Gentoo.
>quick installation (no compiling)
>very simple general maintenance
>aur is arguably simpler to use than layovers
Everything else I would say Gentoo does better. Regarding laptops, I would probably stick to arch just because of how long the installation process will take.

I run gentoo on my laptop as my first daily use linux OS. I really like it. Have been using commandline one macs for many years, so I'm comfortable with it. The compile time is not as bad as people make it out to be if you don't have a bloated system. Only packages I have encountered that take long to compile is gcc (takes a really long time), firefox and maybe TeX. My laptop has an i5-2540M (launched in 2011). The only problem I see with compilation so far is if I'd be at a lecture or similar and the lecturer asks you to install something.

>the system you want
With arch you'll be getting systemd which is not the system you want

arch off support systemd
systemd=shit
arch=shit

Seconded. Out of the two Gentoo wins because init freedom

Gentoo has openrc as standard init system and you can install binaries if a package is very big and you need to install it fast

hello pajeet

>pajeets are the only ones who dislike systemd

>I'd be at a lecture or similar and the lecturer asks you to install something
why can I not unsee a fedora wearing neckbeard sweating bullets in CS lecture after the prof asks to install a program. The sudden realization that your OS is impractical for anything other than NEET life

Good thing gentoo allows for installation of binaries too!

>rolling release
they're both shit

Since he implied it being used as a DE to rule out stability/security issues, do you unironically have reasons for not liking rolling release?

Having your system be a desktop instead of a server doesn't mean you want stability any less. If anything you want it more, you want to just sit down and use it without having to bother with system maintenance and repairs caused by whatever updates came today. The purpose of rolling release is to make things easier for the developers by pushing work and inconvenience off of them and on to you. Same reason MS is doing something similar with Windows 10, it's so they don't have to bother with that inconvenient testing and QA stuff, by making users their testers.

Also the "gotta be bleeding edge!" thing, which is pretty much inherent to the rolling-release philosophy, is a huge meme. 95% of people here never notice anything about the latest version of their packages other than that the number went up. Screenfetch is the only way most of you will have any inkling that your kernel is more recent than 4.4 LTS. Keeping up with a rolling distro is just busy-work.

>Having your system be a desktop instead of a server doesn't mean you want stability any less. If anything you want it more
I stopped reading here

I use gentoo on my desktop but wouldn't on a laptop.

use gentoo on a laptop if you want to burn your house
use arch when you want to be a ricing faggot

Why wouldn't you use it on your laptop? It works on my machineā„¢(laptop)