This thread is about the appreciation of horology...

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=_CxYEOpWchY [Open]

>Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=IqesejcElLA [Open]

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread:

Attached: 20180408_133521.jpg (4032x3024, 2.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_564
omegawatches.com/vintage-watches/
chrono24.com/magazine/top-10-watch-icons-p_755/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nice windyknob OP

Attached: s-l1600 (10).jpg (669x890, 80K)

Nice thread title, kys

Rate my watches. What should my next watch be?

Attached: image.jpg (2048x1536, 2.13M)

I just bought this

Did I do good /wt/? $45 delivered for a brand new 20 year old stock timex ironman

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 7.54.23 PM.png (1888x1172, 1.03M)

Is this wt?

Attached: 20180318_124107.webm (804x870, 2.86M)

Anyone here want an unused 16mm heuer deployant? Probably just going to throw it up on ebay otherwise, not sure for how much though.

Attached: FC5012.jpg (1024x579, 112K)

rate

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 8.22.23 PM.png (922x1012, 1.38M)

can somebody who is not mentally incompitant create a real thread with "/wt/ watch thread" in the subject?

No this is "blank title"

>Anonymous 04/09/18(Mon)01:15:22

YOU HAD ONE JOB

10/10

rip my ironman that fell into the depths of conestoga lake :'(

True, just live with it

Requesting 2+ retards arguing semantics to bump the thread ASAP

Attached: 806A1EF3-6686-47B2-9472-FED82BB2B354.jpg (4032x3024, 2.44M)

some of you are alright. don't go to the seiko boutique tomorrow

Attached: 20180403_203850.jpg (4032x3024, 1.9M)

For the guy interested in vintage Omegas from earlier, you mentioned you were interested in an old Constellation, by which I assume you mean you want one from Omega's golden age in the 1960s.

I suggest you read this page ( ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_564 ) and familiarize yourself with all the variants of the Omega 56x movement, as that movement is the best three hand movement developed by Omega in the pre-quartz period, and is one of the greatest series produced movement families of the pre-quartz era period.

You can search for these models on eBay or Yahoo! Japan Auctions fairly easily by searching for "Omega ###" with the movement variant you want to look for, but please make sure you familiarize yourself with how most of Omega's Constellation range from the period looked and check the vintage Omega database ( omegawatches.com/vintage-watches/ ) for the case references, where they are listed (e.g. the 168.024/168.0024 is a vintage Seamaster reference with a chronometer grade 564 movement) and make sure you are not looking at a franken or a redial before you consider bidding.

Expect to pay ~$350-$500 for a non-chronometer variant if you are patient, $500 - $750 for a chronometer variant if you are patient.

Attached: OMEGA_SEAMASTER_CHRONOMETER_166010_81.jpg (2000x1500, 480K)

every high end brand I've spoken to (both online and boutique) have had absolutely shit tier customer service. Its genuinely putting me off buying any luxury watches

The real quality is in independent watchmaking and quartz!

I thought the North Flag was just some weird one-off. How naive of me.

Attached: Tudor Ranger II.jpg (1200x801, 206K)

You're missing a dress watch, a chronograph, and a vintage

Something Soviet, black dial, maybe the copernicus

Attached: raketa_copernicus2.jpg (777x719, 149K)

He can mix a dress and a vintage in one buy.

Post collections

Attached: 20180406_212456.jpg (4032x3024, 2.46M)

I don't have a collection photo not that it's much.
Really happy with this though.

Attached: t.jpg (859x1392, 617K)

Ok.

Attached: DSC_4724.jpg (2560x1398, 1.85M)

What is your current goal next purchase watch Canadian user?

Attached: IMG_20180315_113155__01.jpg (3812x3456, 3.18M)

you can reduce that collection by at least 5 watches desu.

we should all strive to be /one watch guys/, and you have like 5 definite shitters.

Not him but I have come to the conclusion that I could never be a one watch person. Goal is hopefully to stay around 10-12

We've been posting collections like every day. Here's something different, a collection from 2.5 years ago

Attached: IMG_20150907_210718492.jpg (4160x2340, 2.9M)

I'll become a one watch guy when Weiss cranks out a better movement than the 1003 or another all-american watch comes out

actually why? Watches aren't like cars, they don't take up a lot of space. And it's not like you're going to get a meaningful amount of money for watches you don't want.

>we should all strive to be /one watch guys/
Maybe like 5

Attached: DSC_5716.jpg (2000x1331, 940K)

Aim to be a 3 watch guy here
>every day sports watch that can push dress watch
>digital beater (physical activities that would shake/ damage a mechanical)
>diver/beater (regular casual watch)

36mm Datejust 16200 with the blue dial, batons, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. The idea is to basically get a blue dialed, all baton, non Mercedes hand Explorer analog.

Attached: rolex-datejust-16200-blue-0.jpg (1024x682, 884K)

The common element in all that is you. What you doing wrong?

pretty nice goal.

Attached: Seiko-44GS2_zpsf9e4e475.jpg (960x637, 281K)

they literally pick up the phone sounding impatient (borderline angry) and in a rush to have the engagement over. They don't actually seem interested at all in the client or the sale. I work in a high end corporate service role and I'd fire every single person that I've ever spoken to in a watch store

>sports watch
>digital sports watch
>sports watch

explain to me how rolex main watches are worth 7-20k. They use high grade metals but in very small amounts, have impressive machinery but make hundreds of thousands of watches every year and there are very few hand-made touches to them. It seems like they should be $1000-2000 with just a massive markup. Is the answer really just pure branding and veblen goods?

Attached: 1508654540392.jpg (480x480, 15K)

There are no good prices for watches, only good compared to the competition at the price. Rolex makes watches at a level of accuracy, reliability, and finish that is good compared to its competition at its price point. Some might feel, as I do, that they do have legitimate peers at the price point they occupy, but I don't think anyone could reasonably claim there are watches that are clearly, meaningfully, and unambiguously better on those three fronts at a significantly cheaper price point.

5.8/10, I replied.

Are you under the impression that the research and development and manufacturing costs for the capital equipment and production processes they have to use to achieve the level of manufacturing quality they do, at the volumes they do, is free?

Look at it this way, how many other watch brands are offering comparable watches for substantially less money? In-house Nomos, in-house Damasko, Grand Seiko, in-house Tudor, Zenith and production JLC models are all ~$4k and up these days.

Rolex are certainly overpriced, but they make very good watches they certainly are not overpriced as much as you imply.

And?
One that can cope with shocks well
One that I don't mind beating up in every day life
One that I treat as a dress watch (I like sports watch designs like the AP RO)

so you agree that they are a rip off but just more justifiably so relative to some competitors?
coaxial movements are the first real development in many years. I don't believe that their R&D + manufacturing costs are more than a tiny fraction of the retail prices.

>coaxial movements are the first real development in many years.
Ok, nevermind, we're done here.

what else is anything other than material science and machinery getting more accurate to produce parts with smaller tolerences? Rolex aren't spending their days (and billions $) at a white board designing new movements

(You)

>one I can beat up
>one I can beat up
>one I can beat up, but looks nice

Someone give me a quick rundown on silicon oscillators

Rolex just released a new GMT movement, cal 3285.

I can, but not until tomorrow, so if no else does you'll have to wait.

Recommend me a watch

Attached: 20180401_223034.jpg (4032x3024, 3.3M)

>one that looks nice and I don't want to beat up. Literally a style choice rather than a purpose choice. Likely to be an extra thin watch.
>one that can cope with shocks like gun shots, golf swings, and the likes
>one that I trust in water and am not afraid of beating up a bit for weekend wear

Please don't bother wasting your time, you aren't going to argue away his motivated reasoning and Dunning-Krueger peak ideas.

I would rather recommend getting a real bank and not having close to half a million dollars in very low interest accounts.

>26-32% profit margins regularly reported on annual revenue
>$4.7b in sales
ah yes clearly the prices are set due to the new cal 3285 dev costs. Its fine if you want to buy a luxury watch but don't delude yourself that you're getting any kind of value for your money

kek this.

>profit
I think you will find Rolex is a charity, be a good goy and help fund their watchmaking

skx007

Omega Speedmaster sapphire sandwich model

Did you really take a picture of a screen, grandpa? Also, how is that 0.001% interest on that savings account? Bet you gained like $15 this year

Patrician taste

What watch boutiques are near you?

That's not all of my money m8, rest of it is in a Roth IRA

Rolex and omega

Attached: fe3.gif (600x543, 208K)

use the money to move to a real city?

t-thanks

Attached: 1456575533337.jpg (213x255, 8K)

I like where I live.

>GoldenEye watch
The most affordable of the Bond watches

When you don't read prior threads I am forced to do monstrosities like this.

Attached: Screenshot_20180408-233219-237x4431.jpg (237x4431, 419K)

kek

White gold daydate.

jesus christ man what in the fuck are you doing?

brown one for Alpinist y/n?

Attached: s-l1600 (7).jpg (1024x1024, 74K)

Will look like ass no matter what

None of them.

>again two overlapping watches
While you're advertising being a "3 watch guy" you're doing a poor job of maximizing differences between each of the three. While you're welcome to purchase whatever works best for you, it's odd advice to give others.

>watch faggots dont know about inspect element

Mechanical diver doesn't do so well with shocks. The digital watch is to pick up that are where I would otherwise have no watch.
There is overlap but they each have a purpose and no one watch is suited to all.
The biggest overlap is the nice sports watch and the diver 2bh. But you can't wear a diver as a dress watch so it still has it's own area.

This is an AP RO on rubber right?

Attached: mpv-shot0003.jpg (1920x1080, 214K)

No that's a VC overseas on rubber

A diver is no worse than a RO for "dress".

whadda think ABOUT this one? AQ-20G

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1280x960, 149K)

You might be right
Dont buy "vintage" resin casios. The older formula that they used is very prone to rotting

Attached: mpv-shot0022.jpg (1920x1080, 211K)

>very prone to rotting

Gross. How can you tell which models have the resin? Just go by appearance?

The lug shape isn't right for that, the Overseas strap attaches with a single notch, not three like in the photo. I'm pretty sure it's an RO based on the look of where the case and strap are attached.

Attached: 26320OR.OO_.D002CR.01.jpg (800x800, 653K)

Yeah you can easily tell most of the time, sometimes it's NOS and was kept in a box, it will look fine until you take it out and over the course of a few months the plastics will start to disintegrate.
Stick to all steel models or models that haven't changed since their inception like the OG G or F91W

Attached: mpv-shot0007.jpg (1920x1080, 215K)

looks like we were right
pretty sure wearing a gold watch is haram though...

Am I the only one that thinks AP's look like cheap bullshit made in somebody's shed?

>Neil Patrick Harris spent part of the evening with a classic automatic Audemars Piguet Royal Oak in rose gold with a black dial and part of the evening with the same model in stainless steel and blue dial.
Good enough for the Oscars is a good enough dress watch for me. A diver is not a dress watch.

Attached: not-me.jpg (943x619, 196K)

Yes
You could say they're not you're style, but to deny how well they're made and finished is just being stupid

They just look rough to me

Yes brushed steel looks rough, congratulations Sherlock you solved another one!

I'm sorry, they look like shit imho

Attached: AP_18063850972193_copy.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fit=crop&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fm=jpg& (3024x2268, 678K)

That's your own incorrect opinion
It's unironically one of the most iconic watches of all time.
chrono24.com/magazine/top-10-watch-icons-p_755/