User in need of new distro

I have been a void user as a student for so long that I have forgotten what distros are good besides it. It is simply not very practical in a work setting. So, I want a normal systemdick, non rolling, non compile everything, plug and play, low maintenance and non meme distro. Where should i start user?

Attached: D31DD232-2ED9-426C-8520-BFB8C6E49E50.png (519x513, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

salixos.org/
trueos.org
slackel.gr/
pclinuxos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

CENTOS
BESTOS

>I want a normal systemdick, non rolling, non compile everything, plug and play, low maintenance and non meme distro. Where should i start user?
salixos.org/
trueos.org
slackel.gr/
pclinuxos.com/ (truly the best OUT OF THE BOX EXPERIENCE)

D e b i a n
N e t i n s t

The most important item here is maintenance. There are plenty distros that work out of the box but 6 months later are worse than windows vista. I suggest you to invest a bit of your time setting up your machine. In my case: Slackware + KDE (bloat but works fine) + slackonly repo (already compiled software, so no time wasted compiling). Never had a problem and everything just werkz.

About the dependency resolution meme, you only do it once in a while. It's not that you are installing software every single day.

Xubuntu

This.

Linux mint is what I've got set up. Pic related.

Attached: Muh desktop.png (1920x1080, 1M)

Debian is a distro for you. Unless you want all the normie stuff then Ubuntu. But either way install only base system and build up from there.
Building packages on Debian (if you ever need to patch something yourself) is easy too. Literally 5 commands and you have patched package ready to be distributed.
Dependencies... uhhh here it falls short because Debian/Ubuntu ideology is to compile everything with most options checked even if you might not need half of these deps... so yeah def it's not a minimalistic distro. But this way it works fine nearly for everyone.

Install Gentoo

All distros are the same.

nice trips

>Dependencies... uhhh here it falls short because Debian/Ubuntu ideology is to compile everything with most options checked even if you might not need half of these deps...
Debian splits packages, their debug symbols, source code and dev headers into different packages. They also have different types of dependencies:
>Package A *depends* on Package B if B absolutely must be installed in order to run A. In some cases, A depends not only on B, but on a version of B. In this case, the version dependency is usually a lower limit, in the sense that A depends on any version of B more recent than some specified version.
>Package A *recommends* Package B, if the package maintainer judges that most users would not want A without also having the functionality provided by B.
>Package A *suggests* Package B if B contains files that are related to (and usually enhance) the functionality of A.
By default, Debian and Ubuntu install recommended packages, but apt can be configured to install only dependencies and not recommended or suggested packages, which trims down the install size considerably.

LFS > Gentoo > Arch > Out of the box shit

Ubuntu LTS, Debian Stable or OpenSUSE Leap.

Dude I'm talking about build flags, don't try to mansplain here. You can compile chromium with 80MB of linked libs or with 400MB. The latter is how Debian maintainers choose to build their packages.

This OP, don't make things harder than necessary.

Devuan ascii
TrueOS (it's a BSD though)
everything else either has systemd or is trash.

Just be yourself, dude.

Install gentoo

OP wants something that:
>is normal
>has systemd
>non-rolling release
>binary packages
>"plug and play"
>low maintenance
>"non meme"
Those two aren't normal, don't have systemd, are not "plug and play" and are not low maintenance.

how are any of these not low maintenance? and these are not memes, they actually work. if he wants a perfect working distro even with systemd he could go for debian. debian is as plug and play as it possibly gets with zero maintenance on Stable ver.

Clear Linux

Ubuntu LTS or latest Ubuntu if you have very recent hardware.

Rolling/stable? Arch vs Debian
Source/Binary? Gentoo vs Debian
Package manager? RPM vs APT
Size of team? Manjaro vs Debian
Commercial backing? Redhat vs Debian
Security advisories? Manjaro vs Arch
Upstream/Downstream? Debian vs Linux Mint
Oriented towards what hardware? Android vs Server
Automated testing? openSUSE vs Arch

Attached: Ubuntu_LTS_16.04.jpg (1528x864, 83K)

>Package manager? RPM vs APT
>RPM vs APT

lmao
Let me guess, college freshman

CloverOS

>What are you trying to say dear user

>SalixOs
MAH BOY
Trueos is shite though
Slackel is a rolling release
Pclinuxos is used by 6 people

I would suggest Debian even if it has systemd. It just works & get our your way like good old school OS

get out of*

I need distro for steam in home streaming and music production, also general use
recommend me something anons

Plan 9/Inferno

>linux
>music production
Enjoy no VST plugins

fucking hell, hackintosh then?

Opensuse Leap. I use tumbleweed without any issues.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-04-09_21-23-23.png (2560x1080, 501K)

maybe I am a brainlet but I could never successfully make a liveUSB with any opensuse ISOs I used.
Pretty sure I tried dd and rufus and I always got errors.

Swagarch. Literally the best of everything.

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you.

Been using debian testing for 2 years, so that's what I can recommend based on personal experience.

Literally this. If you're looking for something that will just werk, and don't mind systemdicks and all that jazz, there is no better answer. Plus, if ever anything at all goes wrong, you can be sure that there will be half a dozen guides around to tell you exactly what to do, so it's literally perfect for use cases where the only thing you care about is productivity (i.e. for work).

You can use other similar stuff like Ubunutu, Fedora, or CentOS, but while they essentially have the same advantages I find that they are less pronounced. Arch has its wiki but I still don't think it beats the debian documentation, although it does have the advantage of being centralized. The problem with Arch is that it's a dev-centric distro, so there's slightly less focus on making things just werk for average users.