If you've transcended onto other distros, why did you first start with Ubuntu?

If you've transcended onto other distros, why did you first start with Ubuntu?

Attached: ubuntu-logo32.png (200x200, 13K)

It was a big deal in 2004

This thread is bad
I refuse to believe you actually care about any of that shit
What kind of pointless stupid question is that

a little marketing and advertising effort at some point, around 2006-2009 they made some buzz in tech media and were self proclaimed "linux for the mass" so that seems the right gateway to GNU/Linux for a newbie.

they also used to ship free CDs (I started with a free live cd of ubuntu 8.04).

Ubuntu is the chad on prom night. It was everybody's first.

It was unironically good during gnome 2 age. I returned to Windows though.

Ubuntu was popular for some reason, and was the distro to start with. That was in 2008.

i started with mint, it was pretty nice coming from XP

My first distro was Arch, and then Gentoo -> CRUX -> Slackware.
Never tried normie-tier garbage such as Mint, Obongo, etc.

>t. hipster

>It was everybody's first
debian etch while in testing here.
never used ubuntu or anything besides debian for several simple reason.
First, jump to a main branch distro.
Second, avoid derivatives since they put restrictions on the packages available.
Third, derivatives make improper fixes. Those fixes almost never work on sister or parent distros... chances are when you build out of the repo tree, that you will get conflicts and cause problems with other packages.
Ford, derivatives, great example Ubuntu, doesn't care about upstream/downstream. They always alienate themselves from the stream, Mir/Unity, and fail hard which causes inconveniences to their users and inconsistencies to their releases.

But I didn't. My first one was Debian.

t. normie butthurt

Attached: manchildren.png (1200x800, 523K)

I started with RHL 6.0 when KDE was shit and GNOME was decent... :(

Professor showed it to me. I liked it so much that I installed it for dual-booting on my computer... and liked it so much that I ended up using it more than Windows. I only dedicated 80MB to it though, so I ended up wiping my computer to do a reinstall. But I took that opportunity to try Mint. Eventually ended up settling on Arch, used it for a year. It was truly great, I learned a lot and had a lot of freedom installing different DE's. Arch is probably the best because it doesn't come pre-packaged with any DE's with any gay branding, so you will have an easier time setting up any DE you want. The package manager is fastest in my experience, and if something is not in the official repos (it usually was) I could just search for it with yaourt and install it that way. Is yaourt still a thing? Been a while since I used Arch, but that was really convenient. No need to hunt down PPAs.

Because Ubuntu was amazing when it first came out
Mandrake was broken and inflexible
Debian was impenetrable and looked like abandonware
Suse was never good
Red Hat wasn't anymore

Ubuntu just worked, it had good hardware support, sane defaults and it was not opinionated, it was just upstream Gnome 2 on a pure Debian base

Ubuntu is the first Linux distro that just worked

Unfortunately since then Ubuntu became more and more broken (fucking pulseaudio), more opinionated and less flexible and even uglier (purple + orange was even worse than brown which was already ugly)
Also Ubuntu was never a good name

Thankfully Debian resurrected and now Ubuntu serves only as a tutorial to the Debian way

I seem to remember Edgy Eft and Hardy Heron the fondest.

debian -> damn small linux -> fedora -> debian -> ubuntu -> arch ->

Now server running ubuntu, server running debian, Macbook from work running macos

I started with Xubuntu, then went to Manjaro, then Arch, then Debian and now I'm back to Xubuntu. I don't think I'll move to anything else again.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Ubongo got a bit popular in 2006-2009 because of 3 things

1. Vista ran like ass on existing machines, and even though hardware got better, once tech illiterates catch on to a meme it's impossible to kill the stigma
2. Ubongo was one of the very few, if not only distro shipping out FREE install disks, and not everyone had flash drives back then and the for the people that did 512mb is not enough to flash an iso image if you even knew what flashing was. And on those disks they were the only distro to bother with including non free drivers.
This was the Linux 2.6 era, meaning it had BSD tier hardware support and a lot of shit wasn't as standardized back then like it is now. Sometimes you couldn't get fucking Ethernet to work. Alsa was ass too and getting sound set up was a fucking pain on other distros
3. Netbooks were pretty popular and those pieces of garbage couldn't even run xp right. That got a lot of people exposed to Linux and ubongo rolled out the "netbook" edition which people liked because it included the driver for the shitty graphics that the atoms on those things used. Unity is basically the ui from Ubuntu netbook edition btw

Attached: Tails3.png (200x286, 79K)

Strange order but you've finished with the very best so it's okay I guess. Do you plan to switch again?

>. Ubongo was one of the very few, if not only distro shipping out FREE install disks
I remember picking up magazines around 2009-2010 that had Ubuntu disks included with them
It's basically what introduced me to Linux

I'd say that's how a good 60-80% of us were introduced to Linux. It was a really smart move

because they shipped out free install disks.
I remember I was just a kid, couldn't afford bubblegum, let alone a writable disk or a flash drive. I was able to sign up for an install disk shipped in the mail at no cost.

I believe I was just interested in dual booting, and I was obsessed with getting openGL games to work, which I always had bad luck with in windows.

I get in linux because should teach kids about that. Now I back to ubuntu because "wtf debian" and because ubuntu mate looks pretty nice.

But I'm using Ubuntu right now. Slackware was my first.

Yeah The AUR is still going strong AFAIK. I could find most software I needed there, though the build/download times can get a bit tedious for large packages, especially if they eventually fail for some stupid reason.

Had ISDN that time, Debian netinstall took ages. Then i grabbed a ubuntu image and was done in 40 minutes. Then gentoo became what arch is today and i rolled with that -- painfull stage 1 install all the way

Only loser useless nerds "transcend into other distros".

Useful people "transcend into making great, useful program" while still using Ubuntu.

Pic. related. If Ubuntu is good enough for the most cutting-edge AI developers at DeepMind, it's good enough for me.

Attached: SlNJWyx.png (530x410, 210K)

there are prominent kernel maintainers who use arch+i3

Yes, I know. What I want to say is that the whole idea of "advancing from Ubuntu" is retarded. There's nothing to advance to. What the fuck?

Linus Torvalds said he uses whatever distro is easiest to install. If you're a real programmer, you don't want to fiddle with your fucking OS all day.

Sure, some might use Arch, but most developers I know prefer Ubuntu because it just werks, you don't want to fiddle with your OS.

Jow Forums is full of obsessive people who'd rather spend time compiling Gentoo with best optimization cflags instead of FUCKING DOING something great with your PC

If you care whether your PC is 0,001% faster because you let it compile for 5 hours you're dumb and will never achieve anything in life, sorry.

most kernel developers probably use fedora, and gentoo has other benefits (being more resistant to ROP, for example)

They use fedora because its the only "user friendly" distro that doesn't shit itself when you use a custom kernel.
Using anything but the repository kernels in Debian based distros is a recipe for disaster

I don't think it's that much of a problem nowadays

Nope, it still is