Tfw fell for the webdev meme

>tfw fell for the webdev meme
If you have thoughts about going webdev, don't do it.
It's filled with normalfags up the ass so you can say goodbye to your chill robot colleague fantasy and you'll be working long shifts so you can constantly get shit done till the deadline. God save you when you actually have to interact with clients who are total fucking retards. Not to mention that industry is cancer in it self with so much bloated, useless shit that you want to kill yourself everytime when you need to work on some shitty pajeet spaghetti code that's written on some garbage Flavor of the Month framework.

Attached: 1463302573400.jpg (633x758, 125K)

What is a better area of tech to work in then?

Sysadmin seems dank, but everyone keeps saying they're going to be mostly automated away soon.

>tfw I picked machine learning

Attached: 536810_1.jpg (630x630, 41K)

>want to work as a programmer and work on cool shit
>every job is related to web in one way or another
>shit advertised as JAVA DEVELOPER or whatever is just disguised web shit
>applying for desktop application development or c++ or whatever yields zero results, not even junior
>apply for senior web meme just to see if they'll answer
>get an answer the next day
>"we've reviewed your application and think your skills are sufficient for this position" and get invited to an interview
>tfw web development makes me want to hang myself

I should've followed my dreams, I wanted to become a forester or a nature researcher but my parents said there's no future in that so now I get to have no future as a programmer

CS is a meme and I want to shoot myself for falling into what I now realize must have been employment propaganda with all the cool CS inspired movies and technology shilling and tech anime. It was all propaganda.

The truth is that you will not make cool things. Programming isn't fun. This is a celebration of mindless consumerism . I looked at my local job listings and they all make me want to blow my brains out. I want to die I can't believe I wasted my life by falling for the Jow Forums meme. I wish I had done chemistry I'd rather be a lab monkey than a "developer" . The salary is not only not worth it but also dropping with the massive influx of cs/ce/math grads

It's so worthless . I wasted my fucking.life. there are so many other things I could have studied with corresponding jobs that don't invoke suicide. If you are an undergraduate in/considering CS or a high schooler considering CS I beg you to reconsider heavily.

What would you rather be doing?

It says chemistry lab monkey, you retard

Why don't you go back to college to get a degree in chemistry?

>tfw can't trust you because this might be a kind of psyops to prevent oversaturating the job market one is already in
nice try user, I'm coming for my piece of the pie

Nah I'm a CS major in a shitty ass small school and I already fucking hate it. I only chose it because I needed to declare a major, had no idea what I wanted to do, and figured I'd pick something in a decent market
Almost done with junior year, fucking hate it but don't know what else to do.

>someone who isn't interested in the field doesn't like it
color me surprised

This wasn't me. I'm not a mean man.

I'd rather be a chemistry lab monkey. Or have spent time learning a language in college that'd be valuable .
>go back to school
Not everyone lives in infinite time and money land.
Go fuck yourself tool. The field is a joke. If you care about the field you should have done Math or even statistics .

Get the hell out. Do not do this. I literally use to be you.
Damn fool

I feel the exact same way, user. I fell for the meme so hard I got master's degree in CS.

My career is fucked because I never thought building a portfolio of applications would be important so I have nothing to show for myself besides some shit for personal use and my thesis. I'm wasting my life away in a shitty ass dead-end job after 6 months of unemployment, meanwhile my colleagues who I know were worse programmers than me in every way enjoy their high paying jobs making fun shit.

I should've gone for something else. Hell I should've just dropped university and become a construction worker or a garbage man. At least that way I'd contribute something to society instead of just being a slave to my boss.

Just finishing my first year of IT. Is it as big of a meme as CS or am I safe. I just want a comfy office job

>I never thought of

then are you not dumber than your peers?

I'm a relatively successful software engineer, and I legitimately like my job. I absolutely would hate my job if I was not interested in software development. It shouldn't be this hard to understand, even to the simplest mind: don't take the major if the work does not seem interesting to you. Why would you spend money on a degree you don't want?

> CS is a meme

> tfw wanted to become a programmer when I was a kid
> tfw I became one
> tfw I'm doing great and loving my job

Wow, it turns out that if you do something because you love it instead of because of muh paycheck, muh jobs, muh gadgets etc.. makes a world of difference.

Attached: 1482767301377.png (1132x1000, 248K)

I guess I am

But how do you learn to love it?

Attached: A8991ED3-C93C-43C2-B3B7-E3C748A76B9C.png (658x662, 44K)

>webdev
Funny enough, one of my colleagues was a webdev and he despises all of them.
Then again, the people in the project he worked on felt attacked when he asked if they did any documentation at all (they don't).

You don't. You either like this shit or you don't. Even if you love it, there's enough bullshit in this industry to make you pop a gasket sometimes, so it's not all farts and rainbows. You live for the parts you love. If that isn't there, then you're left just with the bullshit parts.

but what do I do if I don't like anything?

retail or fast food with the rest of the chumps

I don't know. I'm fortunate to have never had to deal with that question.

I did UI/UX/Product Meme Design as a freelancer and nobody wants to hire me.

webdev isn't that bad, just don't fucking work for an agency, work somewhere with a product that you can care for and where you don't have too many cooks

>but everyone keeps saying they're going to be mostly automated away soon

Literally how. I'm a sysadmin and EVERY fuckup is caused by something completely unpredictable, shit doesn't just break on its own. Hands down the most downtime happens due to network admins being retards and implementing changes without proper testing.

You can automate stuff like creating accounts, restarting services, backup, MAYBE disk cleanups (risky), but no algorithm is perfect and at some point somewhere the automation fails and a human needs to look at what went wrong. Believe me, we've been trying to automate our jobs for decades.

fuck . time 2 kms

welcome to capitalism friend

>I absolutely would hate my job if I was not interested in software development.
/thread

>falling for the work meme

The joke is on. Enjoying the neetlife.

>Flavor of the Month framework.
kek, it's true

You could apply that logic to literally any job

>It's filled with normalfags up the ass so you can say goodbye to your chill robot colleague fantasy
Sounds like you chose this profession because you thought you'd make cool Jow Forums friends in real life and share meme instead of talk because you're all introverts and understand each other.
Maybe you should have chosen a job where doing the actual work is generally satisfying to you.

Attached: imaginary-coworker.jpg (600x399, 306K)

it's a strawman though

and it only implies that OP has a hard time picking up things that he's not used to

WEB ASSEMBLY

Yep. I actually see a lot of jobs are asking for PHP, C# ASP.NET and JQuerey. The world doesn't revolve around the most upboated HN comments

I don't know what happened to the web, but it should end on AJAX and cgi. When i see a website that needs javascript to even render page i just leave instantly, fuck them.

Angular, React, whatever, it is cancer.

If it comes to job market it's fucking atrocious that 99% are web dev. How the fuck can somebody find work outside of web dev nowadays.

>Angular, React

These can be run on the server and the HTML included in the http response to make this
>needs javascript to even render page
not the case

but most webdevs are too lazy to set up such accessibility

No shit

I got a BS in Biochemistry and have been a lab monkey for the past 6 years or so. Its fun, I get to make cyanide gas and work with expensive instruments. My old manager had a phd in chemistry and knew how to program in R, visual basic, some database shit and was a master at Excel. He knew how to read and analyze data and it inspired me to pursue how to program. I'm learning C and will be going into embedded and electrical engineering to try and work for a company that makes lab instruments.

grass is always greener

Can confirm OP story, absolutely anything that related to web is fucking cancer

This