Raspberry pi Desktop computer

Hello /g entleman
Do you think i can use a raspberry pi 3 as a desktop linux computer?

Attached: téléchargement.jpg (150x150, 6K)

Sure. But it will be about as smooth as if you were running a x86 PC from 2002 or so.
1GB of RAM and 1.2 GHz with low IPC is not fun or productive.
And its not even like a retro PC where you can actually run useful/fun old software on.

Considering that nowadays a 4GB minimum RAM consuming browser is required to browse the internet. I would have to say no.

ARM is bontet. Support RISC-V

I currently use an odroid-xu4 as a low-duty home server, with some hard drives hooked up in an external enclosure. I can stream music all day from it over ssh, no problems.

If you are just browsing the internet and shitposting, then probably you could use a nicer one like one I mentioned with MATE or LXDE and get away with it.

Couldnt you get like 5 of these and combine them to 1 computer?

Comfyposting is possible in 1 gig but you really need swap to hold it together

Not for ordinary desktop work, no. You can do things like picluster, but no OS that I know of is capable of distributing the workload that efficiently.

How about only people with actual experience with RPi post replies. No imaginary stuff.

That's not comparable to running a browser. I can stream 4k video from a pi all day without issues or play 1080p constantly or steam 10x 1080p videos to different computers. But it'll lag browsing.

I have one, too, but I'm not quite sure what I should do with it.

People use pi3 only for flashing roms

You can, but how useful it is in that role depends heavily on what you want to do with it. The Broadcom 2800 series is not really built for desktop computing use, and you'll run into some degree of slowdown using it for anything more than light browsing, word processing, and so on. The key exception is that it has hardware-supported x264 decoding, so it can still play HD video files without issue. You will also run into the fact that you're on ARM and not x86 in addition to the normal crossover issues you get with trying to run proprietary user software in a non-macOS or Windows environment.

I have several Raspberry Pi iterations that I use for various things, but I don't use them as desktop machines.

Please illuminate me on RISC-V boards bellow 100 USD. Hell... even 300USD is fine.

Technically speaking, yes.

>it'll lag browsing.
I'm using one now and it's fine.
I haven't tried any gaming yet

risc v is new and costs $$$$$ sorry, friend.

Attached: 1522588199981.webm (640x360, 2.83M)

i did it for a year .. was fine .. use youtubedl to get youtubes .. use livestreamer to get live feeds from youtube. it is fast as. the operation of the desktop is as fast as anything

that was mate

link to full vid

sauce good sir?