Need this turd for sound on Firefox

>Need this turd for sound on Firefox
>Instead of ALSA which works perfectly
Fucking why?

Attached: cancer.png (401x90, 15K)

Linux has become retarded in so many places.
Redhat is one of the main reasons for this.

>alsa works perfectly
What world have you lived in?

Firefox with sound works just fine in Pulseaudio-free CloverOS

Attached: 2018-04-09-211400_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.95M)

Test

I have never used Pulseaudio nor had any problems with ALSA.

Pulseaudio is malware as far as I'm concerned.

>using a distro that has software that depends on a bloated and laggy sound server
might I recommend the obvious choice here?

Attached: shot-2018-04-09_21-20-25.jpg (1366x768, 307K)

Actually, you don't need it unless you own some external soundcard from asus and you want to tweak volume by software.
Alsa works out the box with everything.

>Pulseaudio is malware as far as I'm concerned
Source: My ass

get off Jow Forums poettering

Well for one, malware doesn't give you a choice to uninstall it.

The fuck? I don’t have pulseaudio, only alsa, and it works perfectly in firefox, I didn’t even have to set anything up...

Either OP trolled everybody on this thread or OP is far retarded to be saved.

nice fork, install gentoo like a real man now

Alsa doesn't work perfectly & PA is nice, but if you are bothered just disable PA on Firefox in your Gentoo. Problem solved.

Firefox doesn't need sound, nigger. Download your media, or stream to a real player.

because pulse is a reliable abstraction.

nice meme

Firefox compiled from source does not have this problem.

So, what problems does ALSA have the Pulse solves?

like seriously, I've never fucking known
Pulse works fine now (like, I can forget it even exists), but I remember when Ubuntu fucked up their transition to Pulse and it giving me hell
why bother when ALSA actually just works (like, I've never had any problem with it in my life)

>the Pulse
wew, meant "that"

polite sage

>So, what problems does ALSA have the Pulse solves?
Try to change the default output without restarting your media player.

Does ALSA even have convenient per application sound control? Why is it trendy to hate new things?

In many areas Linux is lagging behind, pulseaudio is pretty okay.

pretty sure only one application can use alsa at a time
also btw pulseaudio isn't an alternative to alsa, it is on top of alsa (or on top of oss if you move away from alsa)

Pulseaudio is deprecated

Pipewire is all the rave now

Both ALSA and PulseAudio are shit. The entire Linux sound stack is fucked. The BSDs unironically have the better sound stack with OSS4+sndio.

Too bad BSDs exist only to be ripped off by corporations

alsa isn't perfect but pulseaudio is crap desu

alsa+jack is as close to perfection as you're gonna get on linux

Man, what is it with all the luddites in the Linux community?

>literally 10 years after that one time ubuntu fucked up their pulse package and people STILL aren't over it

firefox esr uses alsa
firefox 59 uses pulse audio
hmmmm
fuck

twice the codebase and complexity as JACK with over twice the latency and resource usage. it's a fucking joke

is there any way to get enlightenment to not look like ass?

Why do people say this piece of shot just works? I was having serious problems with Bluetooth headphones with so I got a analog to Bluetooth transmitter. All it had to do was the most basic fucking thing for an audio server and it couldn't do it. It kept auto turning off the output anytime there wasn't constant sound. So watching movies and videos were impossible any quiet moment and the sound would shit itself. I had to play a constant slient noise in the background to get it to work right. Fuck red hat

It jsut werks though. Before pulseaudio, I remember getting audio to work properly in Linux was a fucking chore.

I like pulse audio because i can use pulseeffects and it works with projectM

How does that have anything to do with PA rather than you misconfiguring something for your special use case? PA does obviously not just disable outputs at random.

twist: pulse uses alsa

poettering is retarded

Use the PulseAudio module for ALSA.
Was this really worth a thread? Oh wait, it's just shitty bait, have a (You).

>Use the PulseAudio module

Stopped reading there.

Attached: 21f6faf63491f26529ec447c24381777.jpg (325x305, 14K)

this and nuMozilla is dumb

>poetterware
>reliable

Attached: 1515369134611.png (3678x888, 215K)

Probably means apulse. There is also pulsenomore on the aur which is needed in some cases. I think you have poor reading comprehension.

if JACK is so good, why hasn't Red Hat promoted it instead?

>flat volumes on by default
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>pretty sure only one application can use alsa at a time
Nope. What is true though is that pulseaudio blocks other alsa proggies while it's running

>mute button suddenly mutes 2 channels but only unmutes the main mixer
>"""solution""": restart pulseaudio, then it works again for a few minutes
Fuck this garbage

Because (You) can't into compile.

Install OSS, you idiot.

>tfw too much of a brainlet to use alsa correctly so I'm stuck using pulseaudio

>Alsa works out the box with everything.
That's just a bold-faced lie right there. I switched to GNU/Linux when Windows 98 was popular. I've had a big custom aroundrc on every single system I've used since around the the I switched. You need to setup alsa if you want to use dmix mixing, ac3 over spdif and things like that. Of course, you need to setup alsa to use ac3 over spdif even if you use Pulseaudio.

>Pulseaudio is malware as far as I'm concerned.
>So, what problems does ALSA have the Pulse solves?
I do not understand why Pulseaudio is shipped with every single distribution and why they compile packages to require it, if you're only using sound locally then it's really not needed.

I do use Pulseaudio and my reason is this: I have a small quiet 24/7 home server in the living-room that's hooked up to my surround receiver. It's a pulseaudio sound server. This lets me play music and other audio on my surround stereo from my HTPC and my laptops. Pulseaudio is very convenient. It does work great as a network sound server/client system.

>2018
>not using pulseaudio
About 10 years ago when PulseAudio was pushed to unsuspecting Ubuntu users it was a big turd
It solidified my decision to stick with Debian

But back then I didn't do the thing I do now on GNU/Linux
Alsa didn't have hotplug hdmi, in pulse it just works
Alsa didn't have per application volume or audio redirection, pulse does
Changing audio recording source is just a click on pavucontrol, easy
Really pulseaudio is nice now, as good as if not better than proprietary OS
Impressive

>muh bloat
>muh unix way
>muh do one thing
This is a fine argument but it doesn't apply to GNU/Linux because
>linux is already very bloated and monolithic
>gnu is not unix, it never was
>alsa was never good and simple

Switch to OpenBSD

>shitting on Red Hat

fun fact, as software matures it becomes more complex.

you've been hit by
you've been struck by
a smooth poettering

they want meme audio like 5.1 which alsa either can't or no one wants to

I don't need it to get sound from Firefox
Have you tried using something that isn't shit?

It does just disable outputs not at random when it believes they're inactive. There's a setting for it in the config file. It doesn't stop it from doing it even if you comment it out. It's not a specific use case anyway. It's no different from paring in some headphones and it couldn't fucking manage it. Everything digital was handled by the converted all pulseaudio had to do was output sound to an audio jack without doing something retarded and it couldn't do it. Keep in mind the only reason I need the the transmitter is the pulseaudio Bluetooth stack is trash. I have the same problems with different distros and different hardware. You constantly have to restart pulseaudio to get it to output in the first place and there are constant lag issues that don't occur on other non pulse systems with the same hardware. Pulse only "just weeks" if you never plan on using a pair of headphones. All you pulse supporters try to claim it works great if you don't do anything "advanced" audio stuff which is bullshit. The only thing I've ever tried to do was use Bluetooth headphones and it's incapable of doing it. I'm not mixing audio or hooking up advanced equipment. Its just poorly coded trash that can't do basic tasks.

>RedHat is one of the main reasons for this
RedHat is also one of the main reasons your shitty blob of a kernel runs on so many devices and doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to.
If you want to pick a victim to put all the blame on, blame Linus or distro maintainets for tolerating the development model of shitheads like Poettering and the btrfs crew.

Linus is at the mercy of big companies like red hat and suse. I'm going to blame redhat because they push Pottering's trash code down everyone's throats.

>I do not understand why Pulseaudio is shipped with every single distribution and why they compile packages to require it, if you're only using sound locally then it's really not needed.
Beacause esound and asound mixmatch was a fucking nightmare. Half of the programs supported esound and other worked with asound. End of the day it needed to be fixed so you faggots got Pulseaudio.

In the meantime others just moved along and left you whining liniks faggots eat your own dogshit

>fork
It's literally a bare install with a custom background, shitty DE, preinstalled garbage, two or three shell scripts, and one line modified in make.conf

It may be a fork, but it's not much of one.

They don't push anything to other developers/maintainers. They get it into kernel (Linus's responsibility to keep shit out of it) and push it to their customers. It just happens that even Poettering can come up with systems that are far better than what's available so that others switch too in order to stay competitive.
I still blame Linus for allowing shit code into kernel, but whatever- linux has always been shit and there's no hope of it getting significantly better. I stopped contributing long time ago to focus on more promising projects like sel4 and camkes.

durr it's open sores, just make ur own

oh yeah, basement dwellers can't code anything stable or complex

Nothing Pottering has made is in the kernel. In fact you can find post of Linus fighting with the systemd devs to stop trying to fuck with things they clearly don't understand. One man can't stand up to a billion company pushing theirshit projects. Fuck Poettering but he's nothing but a scapgoat. These are redhat projects he's pushing out. Not the other way around.

linus is senile retard

definitely works flawlessly. learn to computer, nigger

I thought he was just a pushover letting Poettering do whatever he wanted? Which is it?

It's not even true for pulseaudio. If I switch inputs sound usually stops in most apps or still comes from the previous device. You still have to restart pulseaudio and that usually crashes video players.

He isn't.
Linus just doesn't care about the userspace at all.
He only fights devs that fuck with his kernel, and Poettering doesn't do any kernel development.

>the same people who shits on ""complexity"" of potterware don't have a problem with x11

Attached: nonono.png (211x239, 5K)

kdrive is less bloated than systemd or any Wayland stack

The systemd have tried to fuck with the kernel. He stopped them. They we're causing kernels panics because they aren't very good programmers.

*Developers

That was through Kay Sievers, not Poettering directly.

Stop using Linux as your desktop OS. Linux is not adecuate for a pleasant desktop experience. Use either Windows or macOS.

I like the idea of a Jow Forums distro, but I don't use it because of the retarded weaboo pedophile wallpapers.