Made the mistake of buying an HP Spectre X360

>Made the mistake of buying an HP Spectre X360
>Thought so hard about buying either the HP Spectre X360 or Dell XPS 13, went with the former because it's cheaper
>Got almost $500 off retail price
>Realize trackpad is shitty as fuck, coming from an Asus Zenbook. Took like a week to get used to it, and sped up scrolling to the fastest speed
>Webcam is shit quality despite being FHD, worse than HD webcams
>Heats up a lot
>Fan runs a lot
>Dim screen
>Coil whine while in sleep and charging
Now finally the Dell XPS 13 9370 was on sale so I decided to upgrade to the i7 from i5 on the HP Spectre X360.

Problem is, I can't seem to sell the HP Spectre X360. I posted it on sale used and I only got 2 replies in a week. One of the buyers insisted I sell my 8th gen newest edition at prices that are for several year old models. I might have to try eBay.

If you're thinking about getting a consumer premium laptop, do not buy a HP Spectre. Get a Dell XPS. Asus, Acer, and Lenovo chinkshit is out of the question already.

Attached: 20180402_215252.jpg (4032x3024, 1.35M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compal_Electronics
forum.notebookreview.com/threads/laptops-manufactured-by-compal.806954/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i really wanted this laptop, i really did but the problems ive read are too damn much. i was thinking of getting the non-x360 myself cuz its the most gorgeous laptop of all time but fuck it has issues

Their build quality must be pretty inconsistent. I've got the Spectre x360 myself and the screen is almost too _bright_, while my fan barely ever turns on (it's damn near silent, which I love).

In regard to your choice between HP and Dell, you might want to know that both laptops (Spectre, XPS) are actually made by Compal:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compal_Electronics

I had my old Asus zenbook at 40% QHD, this one is FHD and I have to crank it up to 75%

Oh yeah, I've got the QHD Spectre. Seems like the brightness adjustment isn't scaled correctly; going from 100% to 90% setting actually seems to cut the brightness in half. Leaving it on auto-brightness seems to work a lot better.

BTW, does your fan run all the time when unplugged or just when plugged in?

Doesn't seem to matter unplugged or plugged in. I leave it plugged in at home mostly, but noticed it running when it's unplugged also

Oh, and fuck Synaptics shit stock drivers; replace them with the Windows Precision drivers from Lenovo. (The hardware is great when paired with a better driver.)

Does that make it better? I'll try that and keep it if I can. The trackpad is the biggest problem in daily usage.

I think it's worth keeping a 2in1 laptop

I got one of those for work.
It was fine for me even with all the work related bloat.

It was like night and day. It baffles me why HP would ship with such an awful driver when there are such better drivers out there.

Also, IIRC, there's a way to force a near-silent fan profile in UEFI settings. I can't remember off the top of my head, but that paired with the "Better Battery" power profile in Windows 10 keeps the fan off for me almost all the time.

Dell still has a better reliability rate and resale price, right? I think it's worth switching to the XPS for an extra $200~300

It's really cool when run, you won't hear the fan at all. Something wrong with yours did you render 24/7 or something, and keep an eye on taskmanager cpu frequency should be dipped below to 1.* ghz yours probably stuck at turbo or maxout speed.

For trackpad why don't you use stock software made by elantech/synaptics, they all the same anyway every single of laptop trackpad are made by elan or synaptics.

They are literally made by the same ODM (Compal); I'd be surprised if their reliability was significantly different.

The stock Synaptics software is what HP ships default and it's awful. Lenovo's driver enables the Windows Precision functionality, where the OS not the driver shim/service controls gestures. (FWIW, whatever Synaptics driver Kali Linux, and probably Debian in general, uses works great.)

Really?

>Fan runs alot.
This is not a car that it's radiator fans only run when hot.
Would you rather have a toasted cpu instead?

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/laptops-manufactured-by-compal.806954/

>Not buying a Ryzen APU laptop

Lol hp vs dell
A year ago I was in a market for a 15 inch refurb workstation. W530 being memetaxed and having retarded keyboardlet without numpad went instantly out of a picture. I was torn between dell m4700 and hp 15 inch elitebook. Ended up buying dell, but had second thoughts about paying extra 50$ over hp.
Few months later boss bought refurb 17inch elitebook (similar specs, only bigger screen) so I had the chance to compare.
>fag-tier half sized up and down arrow buttons. Like in macbooks.
>no physical volume buttons. Instead separate button for launching web browser and a fucking windows calculator. To adjust volume - fn combination like in cheapest laptops.
>no 3-point touchpad (in dell: three finger swipe down minimizes all windows)
>ports are placed randomly while you can plug all your shit on one side of a dell without even taking it our of a backpack.
>fans are constantly on when ac plugged in. Everyone thought it's overheating but nah it's just bios turning it to leafblower everytime it's not on battery juice. And it's noisy as hell.
After seeing that, I regret nothing. Hp's are cheaper for a reason. They're worse and undesireable.

Does hp pen come with spare tips in a box?

Got a 2015 spectre. It's a piece of shit, white spots on my screen that make it impossible to see anything at the right side when consuming multimedia.

These are the worst, the touch screens sometimes come defective out of box, hinge issues and power buttons that get crushed to an on position if the metal is slightly bent.

>Being a faggot who only buys a laptop for a brand name CPU

The grass aint greener on the other side mate
i got 700 aud off my xps 13 9370, its not perfect either. (FYI its i7 8550u 16gb ram 512gb ssd 4K)

Fan is intrusive if plugged in and there is slight coil whine when plugged in to charge.

When its on battery the laptop is cool and quiet with no coil whine.

Isn't it worth it for the better resale value though?

Yeah I can't believe I got a HP Spectre. I don't even use the 2in1 function. I thought HP and Dell would be on par with each other, they're not.

I love my XPS 13 - now that it works. Unfortunately I had to send it in a few times until I got one which was clear of issues. First one had wifi card problems, they sent out a repair guy, repair guy breaks the monitor (lol) so they had me send it in for a replacement, laptop with the new monitor comes back and there's dead pixels the next day, so then they had me just trade in a new one, new laptop had issues with the gpu. Finally, the newest one I got is perfect. And it really is a top-tier laptop. But what a circus it was to get it in the shape that I have it now. I was probably just really unlucky, though.

do you have typing issues where it lags when you type faster than 100wpm or so?

Can anyone tell me if selling on eBay for laptops is a good idea at all? I don't want to be scammed out of money.

I would rather do local cash deals, but they're asking $300 off of what I bought for.

Hm, not that I've noticed. I usually type at around 105-110 when I'm working. I have the 9360 btw.

I see. I bought the 9370, it shipped yesterday so I should have it within a few days

It's cheap for a reason.

Yeah I'm lucky I got the Dell XPS 13 on sale. I haven't used it yet but I have no doubt it gives a more premium experience

But lol it's better

How's the Dell XPS 15 9560? I want a well-built, fast and portable laptop with a good screen and dedicated graphics - it sounds good.

I would if there was a half decent one

where did you buy from mate?

It all depends on what you buy and when. Ive bought an hp thats about 10 years old and still works it was $600 back then. Bought an asus recently that has actually higher specs for $300 bought 2 years ago during black friday. They both still work. The whole cheap=shit is a meme, its possible to get things on sale, black friday exists. Dont be an ape and actually do some shopping around

I heard Dell laptops break down just right after warranty ends, is this true?

How much better does the HP Synaptics trackpad become when I install precision drivers for them?

I had an Acer laptop for 4 years but the HDD broke down, causing it to not boot

jbhifi employee discount

wow you're really lucky man. I only got a $400 discount on the XPS 13, it was a $250 discount plus 15% student discount

fuck you both i don't get any discounts

>>Realize trackpad is shitty as fuck, coming from an Asus Zenbook. Took like a week to get used to it, and sped up scrolling to the fastest speed
>Heats up a lot
>Fan runs a lot
>Dim screen
>Coil whine while in sleep and charging
I have these exact same problems with my XPS 13 funnily enough. Hate this piece of shit.

>falling for the Hpoo

Xps 13 has been a shitty meme since day one. 16:9 garbage with no special features to justify it, like thinkpads do

i have trust that the xps 13 trackpad will be better

haven't tried it irl since i have to go to fucking micrsoft store or costco

anything is better than a fucking synaptics trackpad

Its literally the only windows laptop with its spec and use case that doesn't have dogshit build quality and coil whine

coil whine is fixed on the xx70 series, but xps laptops are notorious for coil whine user.

Literally any thibkpad t or x series. Xps 15 is actually good, too. Huawei matebook x

I know its still an issue, but it certainly doesn't affect all of them and when it does its usually only on charge under load. Still better than most.
t series are not ultraportables or 2 in 1. I love the x1 but its just a total ripoff here in Aus. $2.5-3k for 256gb, 8gb ram, an i5 and nice screen. XPS is similar but has frequent discounts. I came close to ordering a huawei but I've ruled them off because they have no warranty.

>buying Huawei
>ever
Look at Chinese people who live here, they never use huawei

>bought laptop
>don't like it
>can't get 98% of original purchase price

The horror!

Attached: crying-jews.jpg (594x448, 41K)

Do you really think I should sell it at $850 CAD then?

Chinese people are fucking subhuman. Matebook x is the best ultraportable ever made

Even Chinese people don't trust chinkshit. Why would anyone else

until it gets a single issue (likely after 2-3 months of normal desk use) and it becomes a brick with no warranty. Why would anyone gamble over $1000 on such a device?

>Bought this exact thing 5 months ago
>don't give a sit about track pad because how do you use a laptop without a mouse
>who gives a shit about the NSA having to spy on you with a shitty webcam, esp. considering every lappy t's webcam is ass
>heats up to a normal temperature
>fan only runs when I play an especially demanding game or some other dumb shit
>can raise the brightness whenever I want
>No coil whine ever

I will agree that Acer and Lenovo are irredeemable sources of chinkshit. Nothing to say about Asus since I've never owned a product from them before

The quality control is literally shit m8. That guy above who said he had to send it in multiple times is hardly the first or only case.

quality control is just a matter of luck m8. just because you see some autist on an internet forum doesn't make their quality control shit or good

My experience so far has been a lottery with every windows brand for the last 15 years or so. I'm pretty sick of it t bh I'm close to buying a fucking mbp

>quality control is just a matter of luck
What?

You don't hear about it when quality control is good, you only hear about it when it's bad.

The more you hear about one brand/product, the higher the chance that it has bad QC, especially if there are numerous problems with the device.
Individual device quality is a matter of luck, QC is the probability that your product will be defective.

Almost related to the thread:
Friend breaks up with gf, has depts, tries. suicide and sells his rig to me for 1000 britbing coins.
Specs:
MONITOR: AOC AGON 24"
AG241QX 1ms 2560x1440, DVI, HDMI & DisplayPort 144Hz Quad HD Gaming
Monitor

MOUSE AND KEYBOARD: Asus Cerberus

HEADSET: Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

CPU: INTEL(R) Core™ i7-7700K Quad Core 4.20 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 + HD
Graphics *

GPU: MSI GeForce(R) GTX 1080 8GB Video Card

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/2400mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX Fury
w/Heat Spreader )

POWERSUPPLY: Corsair 750 Watts CX750

HDD: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA III

HDD2: 1TB Seagate FireCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM SSHD

Did I do good?

Ive had no issues with mine for 8 months now. Stay mad.

>britbing coins
Nigga wut

Wouldn't have had this problem if you bought a Mac :^)

Sorry Jow Forums, the memes literally write themselves at this point because plenty of idiots still push the old and outdated narrative that Macs are somehow inferior to Windows machines of any kind.

Really Jow Forums? After shitting on Windows 10 all day long and many threads about sticking with either Windows 7 or 8.1, somehow, when recommending new machines, there are many who insist that getting a Windows laptop is still a good choice? Grow up.

I am perfectly fine with Windows 10. Wouldn't use a Mac OS. Not getting a Macbook just to install windows on it. Not buying Apple anything sorry.

£££££££

Then no, you didn't do good, but you did because it was to help a mate

Give your friend a hug next time. He needs you.

Why not use mac OS? It's so much better than Windows in many different ways that you probably can't even imagine. I was a long-time Windows user myself, and although I still use Windows at home, I prefer mac OS on the go.

install a linux os
+ a very light de+wm (e.g. xfce)
+ laptop-mode-tools & laptop-detect

this works generally for most HP laptops, gets decent performance out of them

Supporting Apple is supporting white supremacy. I just cannot do that.

wtf I love Appel now. MBP refresh when?

dunno I paid $480 for a refurbished x360,
an upgrade from an HP DV7 that had a hardware issue from overheating and would randomly shut down and restart with no errors.....

the x360 runs, allows me to complete sketchup drawings and reference project plans in the shop, and now I can use it as a tablet to draw in illustrator and photoshop

it has twice the memory, double the storage and is generally faster than the DV7, it is smaller and slimmer, it doesnt overheat, the power brick is managable, it has a num pad, and its got a touchscreen and topside speakers which are loud enough for listening to programs while I work

I use a wireless mouse, so the trackpad doesnt bother me, but I find it nice and wide and plenty workable, I dont use webcams cause i'm not a faggot.

old DV7 track pad was better... I almost bought a nice Sony Viao, which had a super nice track pad that was textured to, but why bother a small wireless mouse is way more useful

overall very happy with it and havent had any problems

The problem with Mac users is they lose the line separating hardware and software since it's always pre-decided for them. If OP is talking about hardware flaws then OS has nothing to do with it, he just needs better hardware. I know I would personally wipe Windows away and replace it with Debian if I bought a laptop right now, but I don't need to since I already did that for my current laptop. For people like me it's the hardware that matters when choosing the device. Windows has nothing to do with the decision.

Also who here is defending Windows anyway? Are you making this up as you go? Grow up.

this
yeah sell it for $1500 to some dumb goy, shalom brother!

Attached: Merchant5.jpg (404x355, 25K)

I've been looking at the spectre and the asus. I like the Dell and surface but they're too much money.

Are you stupid or what? Yes he didnt mention software but trackpad performance is literally tied into the software. Or maybe you haven’t heard of touchpad drivers? It’s well known that Mac trackpads shit on literally anything that’s non-mac. You have to be an idiot or a dense troll to dispute that. So yes OP’s issue with the touchpad in particular wouldnt have happened with a Mac.

So what you read in OP was
>well the trackpad sucks
>and the trackpad is horrible
>did I mention the trackpad, man this thing is unusable
>oh and the trackpad, man this thing is nothing like in macs
>trackpad trackpad trackpad
and you thought "Hey I know, he should get a mac. That would solve all his problems. Man it's a good thing I had my shilling shift now or I might have missed this thread."
So you wrote >Wouldn't have had this problem if you bought a Mac :^)
>somehow, when recommending new machines, there are many who insist that getting a Windows laptop is still a good choice? Grow up.
What's "we're not falling for it, Pajeet" in Hindu? I want to say it the next time.