OK, I'm getting fucking sick of using 7 different chat applications...

OK, I'm getting fucking sick of using 7 different chat applications. I need something that does voice/video/chat and works on linux/android/MacOS/linux, preferably something open source, free, encrypted, etc. Does such an app exist? Can I get normies to use it?

Attached: MSN-Messenger (1).jpg (448x474, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

securemessagingapps.com/
tox.chat/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Applications on Matrix protocol, e.g. Riot.im

wire

works on every operating system
every phone
in browser
p2p encrypted
completely free & open source
located in switzerland
works with phone number or email or both

trillian

discord webapp :^)

Wire. Though I think you have to pay for group calls/video.

If you don't need audio/video chat on your laptop/desktop, Signal should be your first choice. If you DO need those things, then Wire.

Telegram, no video though

>in browser
As long as you have WebRTC enabled.

ok, I heard about this, but I wasn't sure it was legit. So ire is the one, then?

I use signal for texting people about buying weed, but I absolutely DO need audio/video on my laptop, and I want to use it on the same application as what I use on my phone.

slack?

Irrsi /thread

did you even read the OP?

Then Wire. They keep more metadata than Signal, but who doesn't?

Attached: wire.png (1366x768, 197K)

you can make a group with it

if you want a team for business you have to pay

why would you disable that in the first place?

just use a network limiter if you're scared..

Wire is the best option, but honestly it's desktop client is shit.

No, you have to pay for """premium""" groups or something. Those basically make group chats similar to discord instead of Facebook, as in there are "roles" people can have and also adds screen sharing.

Attached: Wire.png (1550x856, 249K)

Do ignore the "can't stream video" part, they fixed this recently.

It leaks your ip adress

>That pic.
Mine isn't like that. Then again, I see no need for it to be maximized. Regardless, I will grant you that you should be able to scale the name list.

That seems like a reasonable monetization strategy, it really should not be overlooked how a service plans to profit from it's users!

>Mumble
>Jitsi

For fuck sake, read fucking install Gentoo wiki.

Nobody said it wasn't. I doubt anybody here has an issue with Wire making money by offering premium features for people who want to use it. Hell, I'm not sure if they've done it yet, but I know that they are planning to release the server code some time in 2018, so you can host it yourself, too. Everything else is already Open Source.

We need to pressure wire devs into makinh a dark theme for the desktop version, this white shit killing my eyes

Or you could just turn down the brightness on your PC. No reason not to if you're sitting in the dark. If you're in a bright room, then the white won't bother your eyes.

As I said it's a reasonable monetization strategy.
I just think it's important to point out how a service plans to make money, which most (other) people in this thread seem to have neglected to consider :)

Most people on this board ask the question if they can't find out themselves.

Signal, Threema or Wire
securemessagingapps.com/

Wire for messages and calls, mumble for gaming and voice chat.

>not using redshift

They released the server code last year.

we need to pressure ALL devs to just STOP with this electron garbage. follow the fucking desktop paradigms, use the native toolkits. this has never been an issue until recently

>Can I get normies to use it?

you can't, that's why all those threads about muh l33t h4k0r messaging apps are pointles LARPs.
Nobody of your nomie contacts would switch to some literally who freetard app just because you did.

>every operating system
What about TempleOS?

What framework/library do you suggest that allows you to create good looking graphical interface that works and looks the same on every platform?
I normally don't do work on things like that, but electron seems like really good solution in this case. Easy to style, have builtin components, events, looks and works everywhere and you can even use it for web app. It doesn't really matter that it uses 3 times more memory than gtk interface or something, it's just an interface. Speed and memory matters only in the library under the hood.

The unfortunate truth, people are only going to use what everyone else is using.

bitlbee + irssi + screen
You win.

That's what I'm doing but I'd still prefer a dark grey theme.

Why is that site saying that only the Riot client is open source??? Literally every piece of the infrastructure, including the server (synapse) is open source. Also, fuck any system that says “durr we’re open source” but forces you to connect only through their server. We don’t need any more goddamn centralized shitty communication apps. There’s a reason email is still around. Open standards and federation. That’s what Matrix is. Matrix is the future.

PIDGIN

Maybe try utox/qtox. Works on most platforms without any installation process.
Last time I tried the android client it was lacking a little, but it might've improved since then.

tox.chat/

I use pidgin for XMPP on linux/windows, but you're telling me I can use pidgin like Skype on Android? wtf r u talking about

Just use Facebook messenger like a normal person

>message bubbles
i sure hope they will never implement this. message bubbles are the worst.

Allo + Duo

Just use 2 different chat applications.
irc for text
sscall for multimedia

ssl for encryption

Discord

OK, so I've installed wire on Windows, MacOS, linux, and android, and everything's working great, plus there's a browser app which is nice.
Now I've just got to test the call quality. Frankly, I'll be happy so long as it's better than Skype, but I'm not expecting anything as good as WhatsApp or FBM.

Sms is all you need. Everyone use it

OK, so I've been trying out Wire, and I like it, but the video quality is shit compared to Skype over the same connection :- ((((

get tox, works on everything, there's even a command-line client.