If Linux is so good, why is Jow Forums mostly using MacOS and Windows?

If Linux is so good, why is Jow Forums mostly using MacOS and Windows?

Actual Linux users seem to be a minority here, of all places.

Is it because "the Linux desktop" is still very much a work in progress that won't go anywhere until say, Google finally decides to kill Microsoft and Apple with a full Linux-based desktop OS?

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15380932/r
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cuz Jow Forums is infested with /v/irgins and Jow Forumsish jew lovers

Like 10 years ago Jow Forums was 95% Linux users then all the PC gaming kids poured in exponentially from /v/ over the years.

>I set my steam profile up by myself
>hackerman

Can't deploy my database project in Linux, so I can't do my job with Linux, so I dual boot.
Visual Studio 2017 doesn't play well in ganoo lihnuks, otherwise I'd be able to wipe my Windows partition.

wrong thread?

>why is Jow Forums mostly using MacOS and Windows?
>Actual Linux users seem to be a minority here
False. According to the poll we had last year most people here use Linux (as a main OS).

pci passthrough is better in literally every single way

emulating a /v/ user if anything

>If Linux is so good, why is Jow Forums mostly using MacOS
But, OP. I use both.

macOS on my laptop, Linux on my work station and desktop at home.

He doesn't even need pass through to that, wtf. Did you just assume he said "muh games" or something?

Jow Forums meme'd me into dual booting Arch,
if it weren't for Ableton (music software) only working on windows and mac, I would've gone full linux a while ago.

>If Linux is so good, why is Jow Forums mostly using MacOS and Windows?
Because Jow Forums is mostly bad.

When did i ever mention games?
Did it ever occur to you, you can do more than play games on Windows? Did it ever occur to you that a common usecase for Linux is servers and dualboot will render said server deployment useless if you constantly dualboot?

back to /v/

>When did i ever mention games?
That's what I fucking asked you dipshit.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE NEED PASSTHROUGH?

> why would you need a car, a horse carriage works just fine.

Stop using shitty databases.

Just like OP

What fucking device are you going to pass through in order to run Visual Studio more smoothly? It literally makes no fucking sense.

Doesn’t docker works on Windows nowadays through the Linux binary emulation feature or something? I’ve been hearing a lot about docker in hyper-v.

whatever you say, gramps

>the store is across the street, but I still need a Ferrari to go there because.... reasons

Why don't you answer the fucking question? Or are you admitting that you just blurted out some tech phrase you don't actually understand?

>BSD not mentioned
OP is just a loser

> using CuckOS

Not even BSD devs use it on their development machines. The flavors of BSD aren't really desktop OSes.

Pardon me for one moment. What you are calling Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I have nicknamed it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system by itself, but it is just another part of the GNU system, which has been extended in functionality via various GNU components (including GNU's shell utilities and corelibs) which only then fit the definition of a complete operating system as outlined by POSIX.

There are many people today who are running the GNU operating system without even being aware of it. Through a strange turn of events, a misnomer has emerged where people refer to a widely used version of the GNU system as "Linux", unaware that the proper name for the system they run is the GNU operating system.

Now while they are in fact using Linux, it is only one component of the system that they run. Linux is used as the kernel: the part of an operating system which distributes a machine's resources to other programs which request them. While this functionality is essential for the successful functioning of a system, it cannot function on its own, it needs an operating system within which it can carry out its functions. Linux is commonly paired with the GNU operating system: the entirety of the system is GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every single "Linux Distribution" is actually a distribution of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1427620993455(2).jpg (1920x1080, 169K)

>mostly using MacOS and Windows
Corporate monopolies of software and compatibility with work software.

Actually that's when they started to go full retard with the bios lock.

see if you want to attempt linux compatible DAWs

Open sores is unamerican and we need congress to reconsider its legality.

Im not arguing that dual boot is bad. passthrough is just better. If you want less features and less expandability- go ahead and dualboot.

>Im not arguing that dual boot is bad.
I said nothing about dualbooting you fucking illiterate imbecile. I asked you what device you would need to pass through to a Windows guest in order to make Visual Studio run more smoothly.

>passthrough is just better
Name the device user needs to pass through.

openBSD devs use openBSD, even to develop openBSD.

obvious bat but i'll bite.
dualboot: one operating system at a time
pci passthrough: 2 or more OS at the same time
Do i still have to explain how he could benefit from this? i dont fucking care about VS or whatever. he could fap to hentai for all i care. my point is, you have more options with passthrough

the user in question obviously needs to pass through a graphics card ya dum dum

> Every single "Linux Distribution" is actually a distribution of GNU/Linux.
Not Alpine

you know that you can use virtualization without passthrough, right user?

0) I never fucking mentioned dual booting. Running Windows in a VM is more than sufficient enough.

1) You can only pass through a device to a single VM at the time.

2) user explicitly stated that he needs to run Visual Studio, and that appears to be his sole reason for using Windows. Why the fuck would he need pass through for running Visual Studio, when it doesn't fucking do any GPU stuff at all? All Windows does is draw some dialogues directly into the framebuffer, you don't fucking need to pass through the GPU in order to do that.

In other words, it is completely unnecessary and provides ZERO benefits.

In fact, passing through the GPU in that scenario would be a huge drawback, as the hypervisor would need to lock physical memory used by the guest and can not so easily scale up or down memory requirements.

You are a fucking idiot and you have no idea what you are talking about, please jump in front of a bus you stupid shit.

> If Linux is so good, why is Jow Forums mostly using MacOS and Windows?
Doesn't sound true. I'd expect Jow Forums to mostly be using Android by now, it's the most used personal OS.

Also, I do also use Linux here.

> Is it because "the Linux desktop" is still very much a work in progress
Of course not. Only very few prefer already abandoned operating systems.

I do.
But if it was suitable in the usecase of the user i originally replied to, he wouldnt be dual booting in the first place. Therefore, i figured his work required more than what IGP could offer. HENCE the passthrough suggestion.

>But if it was suitable in the usecase of the user i originally replied to, he wouldnt be dual booting in the first place
That's just wrong. You are an idiot.

I dont care what you mentioned, i was replying to an user who DOES use dualbooting so I dont know why the fuck you are derailing everything.

Seek help.

Not argument.
Ok so i guess he dual boots because he likes windows. case closed

>i was replying to an user who DOES use dualbootin
And you made a false assumption based on ignorance. Again, why would you assume he needs a GPU in order to run Visual Studio? He explicitly stated that the reason he boots Windows is to run Visual Studio, which you can do from a VM without fucking pass through.

>if it was suitable in the usecase of the user i originally replied to, he wouldnt be dual booting in the first place
See Did you just assume he said "muh games" or something?

but then why doesnt he run it in a VM exclusively? why does he dualboot?
i correct myself: why use dualboot when you can virtualize? everybody happy?

the GNU/Linux desktop is pretty well fleshed out actually. it's shit like laptops that suffer because lol no drivers.

>but then why doesnt he run it in a VM exclusively? why does he dualboot?
Because he is an idiot or he likes Windows more than he likes Linux.

>i correct myself: why use dualboot when you can virtualize? everybody happy?
Yes.

Some Linux people don't care who uses it. Some claim they want Linux to go mainstream and compete with Windows, but they have no idea how to make it user friendly and easy to use. It's still below the low standard set by MS.

because I have work to do and the less time spent configuring/troubleshooting shit the better

Linux is a kernel.

aside from arch and void types most distros require less configuration and upkeep than a wangblows install.

Linux users are like vegans or homosexuals...they absolutely positively cannot stop talking about the one single aspect of thier lives that they think defines them entirely. It the point thier lives revolve around.

And they cannot possibly accept that others are not similarly obsessed and are just hiding/denying it. Thus anyone who doesn't give a shit must be insulted or ridiculed for not being them.

And this is why you're suprised at how few people actually use Linux...just like vegans and gays there aren't many of them but they never shut the fuck up. They talk about Linux enough for twenty windows users.

But still a decided minority...just really fucking vocal.

Pretty sure a lot of us use Linux.
I do at least and have been for years.

10 years ago no one gave a shit about linux and Jow Forums was filled with CP

this

lol

this
>gamergate
>reddit and some retards infest /v/
>/v/ find a new home in Jow Forums

And since mods don't want to enforce existing rules and can't see what's consumerism and spam, we're doomed to continue this way

strawpoll.me/15380932/r

Attached: Capture+_2018-04-12-07-35-24-1.png (1380x1636, 131K)

>And since mods don't want to enforce existing rules
mods are such faggots on this board. they arbitrarily over-moderate shit but will leave obvious /v/ and Jow Forums tier shitposting up that has no place on this board. you can really tell the Jow Forums mods are just a bunch of irc circle jerk fags. Mods should be replaced yearly desu

>they arbitrarily over-moderate shit but will leave obvious /v/ and Jow Forums tier shitposting up
Seconded.

Protip: I will get banned for this post.

Attached: mods-are-gay.png (613x410, 52K)

so OP was right. most people here don't use Linux.

holy shit. I bet it was a mod who you were responding to, and they got angry and banned you. yearly replacement of mods, seriously.

Lmao you got OWNED by that mod

not only are mods retarded, they also can't handle being wrong. mods are faggots, as usual

If he wanted people to call it GNU then he should have come up with a name for gnu that wasn't a shitty ironic joke name that sounds stupid to pronounce

I'm not even sure what's worst, the fact that moderators on this board doesn't even have basic knowledge about a frequently discussed topic, or that they are so arrogant and easily bruised that they will drop the ban hammer and delete your post just for correcting them.

Here's another one I got. Sure, it's inflamatory, but it's no worse than the literal Jow Forums shit that's going on on this board.

Attached: mods-are-gay-super.png (617x370, 81K)

>muh inflammatory/flaming
mods only enforce that shit if you happen to disagree with them. meanwhile they let literal flame threads stay up

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.02.04 AM.png (182x351, 53K)

and no, not just pic related, many such cases! SAD!

Wow, I've said a lot worse stuff about people who use PHP before...

Because Linux is a kernel. I personally use GNU/Linux.

>if home-cooked food is so good, why do so many people eat fast food?
This is you, OP. Now cry "strawman" like a good little bitch.

Guess that proves that home-cooked food isn't all that great.

but people eat mostly home cooked food

Nigger I dual boot

>dual boot

poor huh?

Please provide examples of how windows is used friendly and easy to use.

I have actual work to do. Dicking around with some half-working, barely-supported environment is the absolute antithesis of that.

this. That's why I can't be assed to fuck around with Windows. No, I will NOT be a beta tester for your shitty development cycle, and no I will NOT jump through corporate hoops or pirate muh (((LTSB))) just to shield myself from said shitty development cycle. Shady as hell.

>Did it ever occur to you that a common usecase for Linux is servers and dualboot will render said server deployment useless if you constantly dualboot?
The people who host servers on Linux are a whole other set of users who dualboot. Just because they are a "common usecase" doesn't mean every Linux user hosts servers on their machines.

I use Windows because of the third party programs. I'd rather use any other OS if they had the same programs. They don't integrate well with WINE either.

Some things are starting to get on my nerves.
Like MTP operations having the Vista copy procedure. Which is multi window instead of single, can't be paused, isn't threaded, and is prone to fuck up if you do more than 1 transfer at a time.
Meanwhile they're updating UI shit like the Control Panel to UWP's Settings app.

Attached: Untitled.png (402x195, 14K)

Who would just go on the internet and lie?

If you can't see the user agent info, then you have no idea what OS most people are using on this site

This.

very poor, I make -4 bitcoin an hour

There are no actual windows or macos users here. It just seems that way because the place is overrun by paid shills.

Oh stop with throwing shit at pol.
You don't need to be from pol to see what is happening in it - triggered snoflakes banning virtual hugs, destroying projects, pushing shitty cocs. These all are tech related and needs to be discussed.

Linux is easy to use and user friendly. it's much easier to install most applications and keep them up to date on Linux for example.