UBUNTU 18

UBUNTU 18 RELEASE SOON

2018 WILL BE THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP. Mark my words.

I know you've heard this before, but this time it's different.

Just look at the sheer elegance of this desktop.

Attached: suru-icon-theme-ubuntu-18-04.jpg (1244x700, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/ubuntu-18-04-lts-no-new-gtk-theme
omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/04/ubuntu-18-04-beta-2-download
medium.com/kdeok/how-to-create-a-theme-that-looks-and-feels-like-unity-using-plasmas-desktop-scripting-api-efe33d36bec6)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it wont include the new icon set

Really? Why the fuck not?

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/ubuntu-18-04-lts-no-new-gtk-theme
omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/04/ubuntu-18-04-beta-2-download

It will be available as a Snap

Ubuntu is shit its graphical interface is the most uncomfortable crap I have ever used the only decent Ubuntu version is Ubuntu mate

>gnome as the default de
what were they thinking

Imagine if Ubuntu renamed to a non-gay name, and used a very polished version of XFCE by default, and used Wayland or something that prevents tearing and is very responsive... there's a chance, but they don't do it right.

imagine if canonical fixed the bugs in the most recent version of their os instead of shitting out new, even buggier versions

Is that a Safari logo?

Does Ubuntu have Safari?

How?

>2018 WILL BE THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Yeah, sure.

Attached: 1522505956129.png (512x548, 181K)

Dude, it's just an icon pack. People rice Linux to make it look halfway decent by ripping off Apple.

>Imagine if Ubuntu renamed to a non-gay name, and used a very polished version of XFCE by default,
This exists and it's called Debian
>and used Wayland or something that prevents tearing and is very responsive
Wayland is a shit
There is no tearing anymore in Xorh
You could use compton if you have proprietary drivers
Xfwm is very responsive
>there's a chance, but they don't do it right.
Use Debian + Xfce

>Just look at the sheer elegance of this desktop
>pic with interface of 5 y.o. chink tablet

I spent several years thinking that ubuntu is THE linux distribution...was dissapointed as fuck.

then I found fedora and I'm in love since
>inb4 gentoo

>ditching a bother OS with user tracking and ads built in for yet another botnet OS with user tracking and ads built in

Jesus Christ

XFCE is dead guys.

>why isn't Ubuntu just like Elementary OS?

always remember to lock ur pizza

Attached: funny-pizza-bike-chain-lock-540x275.jpg (540x275, 63K)

Ubuntu Budgie is /comfy/ af. I keep trying other distos and coming back.

Have you ever tried Numix? Ive been using it and am really impressed with the theme set.

I miss unity. Loved using it on ubuntu desu, never understood the hate, Gnome is just pure cancer.

I use GNU/Linux since 2003 as desktop and server so the GNU/Linux desktop ocurred lot of time ago. Maybe you should rename 2018 as the LINUX FOR BRAINLETS YEAR.

>its graphical interface is the most uncomfortable crap

>GNU/Linux its graphical interface

ayylmao fucking wintard, GNU/Linux doesn't have one but a lot of graphical interfaces some of them even works on windows because its open source you piece of shit.

>2018
>Linux still ugly and buggy af

computers aren't for you.

The GUI is slow in a VM

average ubuntard comments and users are cringy af.

lol!!

It was nice. Gnome is shit.

>Gnome is shit
well do not use it you piece of shit have a lot of options, kde, xfce, openbox, make your own (is not as hard as it sounds like). Thats the problem with ubuntards they think everything should be used out of the box as windshit.

>Just look at the sheer elegance of this desktop.
It looks like a $19.95 Android phone. For the 18th year running, sticking with Windows.

gnome is drippy pigshit
clock in the middle of the topbar, indicators all mushed together
ui lags all the time

what the hell is wrong with them?
and now there's some sign in shit for 18.04 for restartless kernel upgrades

I have a feeling I will switch distros soon

>I have a feeling I will switch distros soon
move to arch, seriously, the "effort" (ten minutes installation) its worthy just do not upgrade every fucking day and you gonna love it.

I'm using 16.04 as a DD until it's no longer supported. Then I'll grow up and use debian when the time comes.

Ubuntu should've gone with KDE. At this point, it is much better at mimicking Unity, uses less ram, can be heavily customized by the user AND, of course, QT.

Hell, even MATE with the Munity template available on Ubuntu MATE would`ve been better than the shit show that Gnome is.

canonical should give up trying to make a distribution so newfags knows what really GNU/Linux is.

>still required to add and sync a new repository for every foreign package
I'll stick with pacman and the AUR thanks

>t. let's hype people to install before the .1 release

Attached: devilish.jpg (199x253, 12K)

I TRIED INSTALLING

XPS 9560

CPU SOFT LOCK UP
TOUCH PAD CRASHES ALL THE TIME

THIS PIECE OF SHIT MEME OS
WILL NEVER BE

GOOD FOR NORMAL NON-HOBBY OS RETARD

The future looks really bleak. GNOME's horrible new CSD design philosophy seems to be taking over everything and wayland is probably going to kill off all or most of the alternative window managers that made linux desktop worthwhile. KDE is perhaps our last hope

kek, this thread has cropped up every day for the past 12 years. wouldn't know about the last few cos i've been a ledditor for past few years

>doesn't support office
>doesn't support vast majority of games
>doesn't support professional software
Do you think normies use an os for the looks? Or for the million things they can do on it but serve no practical purpose?

The desktop PC will be dead before the year of the Linux desktop arrives.

Install Gentoo. Or Arch. Or Debian.

>>doesn't support office
or any other big company program ecosystem, it will never escape its server use.

You are probably more correct than you know, kek

Unless Microsoft or some other big company picks up Linux like Google did for cellphones Linux will never be popular for PCs

I disagree, also, too late for that.

There is a lot of tearing in xorg tho

>That UI

Attached: 1494595116422.jpg (430x512, 23K)

I have tears on XORG

GPUs I own: Titan Xps, 1080s, 980Ti, 1050M.

ALL TEAR on Xorg.
All tear on Waymeme too

>what is the google document suite
>what is office365's web suite

>web suites
LET ME LAUGHJ MY ASS OFF LMFOAl

You unironically believe that in the year of our lord and saviour 2018, where everything is a fucking electron app data harvesting subscription based shill scam, that software isn't moving towards browser-based bloatware versions? sure, it'll take enterprise 5-10 years to catch up. But it's happening already, and you're a fool if you think otherwise.

That's nice, can i update my beta, to full release?

> non-gay name
> Debian
what did he mean by this?

You can't stop me

> non-gay name
> Debian
BUT
> Debian = Debra + Ian
Perhaps you could say it's rather "romantic".
Too bad she left him, and Ian comitted suicide. A true tragedy, it makes me feel sad everytime I think about it...

>office

what would a CS or E.E. need shitty M$ ? , we use latex, sql based databases, xml based documents, spice, octave / matlab , R, python, openscad, etc all this software runs perfectly or better on unix-like systems. Also almost all professional networking its done on some bsd flavor or gnu/linux, idk what you claim to be professional.

>idk what you claim to be professional.

make excel databases, play gayms and social networking in facebook of course.

>desktop
>footfag DE
the two are mutually exclusive

>use gnome-based unity and typical gnome applications, write documentation and faq's for it, etc
>switch to KDE
it would take considerably more time and resources honestly to just throw off all of your desktop software for something else. Its not just changing the window manager and menu layout.

looks like shit desu

Attached: 1497745287609.jpg (480x480, 21K)

Why would you ever need anything other than Xubuntu?

Dat icon set looks pretty tasty though.

>imagine if canonical fixed the bugs in the most recent version of their os
The most recent version is a testing version. The version we are discussing is the stable version.

>Gnome is just pure cancer.
Yeah, but Ubuntu isn't just releasing the standard Gnome desktop, they've made it pretty clear that they've got some gripes with the way Gnome does things. I have faith in them to make Gnome a usable desktop again.

Couldn't they just jump ship to KDE, customize the looks of it to be just like Unity (see medium.com/kdeok/how-to-create-a-theme-that-looks-and-feels-like-unity-using-plasmas-desktop-scripting-api-efe33d36bec6) and keep using Gnome applications?
Documentation would be a problem yes, and they would probably need to solve some of GTK application looks on KDE, but they got the resources for that.

Yeah, it's far from ideal. But the way they did it also is not ideal.
I don't know man, they are now stuck with the retard and arbitrary decisions of Gnome developers, and I believe that they will do anything possible to break Canonical and make them use the 'default' Gnome, because that's what they believe is peak desktop experience. Everything Canonical tried to implement all these years will be scrapped in favor of no icons or shit stuff like that.

>Designed by Apple™ in California™™

save this thread, before 2018 ends M$ gonna anounce there is not going to be next windows they gonna create a Linux based distribution with something better than xorg and .NET as main enviroment.

Gnome is perfect for Ubuntu.
It's easy to use and has pretty animations.

Turns out that if you want barebones bloat free to run on your 15 year old thinkpad or want some hackeryper green on black tiling cyberpunk desktop then default Ubuntu is not for you.

*Year of the Linux Desktop* literally means Linux is for normies now. For that gnome is perfect.

I think Canonical isn't exactly impressed with the Wayland project, so KDE might be too much work to maintain in the long run. Pretty sure they've chosen to focus on Xorg on Gnome because it works. KDE has chosen Wayland as their baby, for whatever god-awful reason.

Gnome still sux big time.

They should ship with KDE or Budgie by default.

>KDE has chosen Wayland as their baby, for whatever god-awful reason.

The same could be said about Gnome, and yet Canonical chose that piece of shit.
Every 'modern DE' is going the Wayland path, and I do believe that when the time comes, the first one to cut support to Xorg (if that ever happens) is gonna be Gnome, not KDE.

looks like a weird mix of 00's UI and materialistic design

>the first one to cut support to Xorg (if that ever happens) is gonna be Gnome, not KDE.
No, I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. I may be thinking of comments made by the Neon developers, but I'm ALMOST positive KDE has fallen for the Wayland hype.

Do you think normies will lose their time for alternatives They will dowload it from ubuntu main page and use the default. Then after "what is this shit" they will go back to Windows in 10 minutes.

Holy fuck, that looks like an absolute monstrosity design-wise.

>Well then don't use it
It's just baffling to see that there's so much space being unused in combination with those FUCKHUEG icons... Obviously this is all customizable, but what is Canonical thinking shipping this as default?

>Obviously this is all customizable
>Gnome

Choose one.

>Not tossing that bloated shit right in the trash anyway

>Imagine being at computers
>Imagine you can't put files on your desktop

GNOME on standard Ubuntu sounds like a perfect last nail for Canonical's coffin. And if you think people don't put things on their desktop on Linux you don't know the Ubuntu userbase. Why not MATE instead? It's the logical continuation of GNOME2,

Is this made for homos? Why so many colors?

How big is their dev team again? Perfect way of allocating resources. They deserve to die off if you ask me, Shuttleworth has always been a cunt.

no matter how much UX work has been put in GNOME, it's an unstable, memory leaking pile of shit under the hood, therefore unusable. and canonical still shipped that crap (not to mention making it look like curry diahrea). ubabu should not be advertised as a flagship desktop distro for 'everyone' due that reason alone.

if u gonna irritate normal people with you're freedums sensibilities, install solus.

Attached: 1502783078852.jpg (1920x1880, 64K)

Just recommend Mint to normies if they're absolutely insisting on using a Linux distro.

>Recommending linux to any brainlet at all
It's not worth the trouble, let them use Mac OS

I do that. Way more hassle free than giving them Ubuntu and doing unpaid tech support every few weeks. Mint is the true just werks distro.

>What is reading comprehension

I welcome 18.04, but I'll just use Neon based on 18.04 when that comes out.

If you are a real Linux User you wouldn't touch Ubuntu. Ubuntu was good like in not bad but nowadays you can forget it! Mainstream botnet wanna fist your ass

>finished ≠ dead

Why is it still developed when it's dead?

Attached: 1492859460784.jpg (979x832, 232K)

this. real hardcore users don't touch any of that plebshit. go ARCH or gtfo

>2018
>screen tearing is common
The absolute state of Linux

If you truly care about your freedumbs you'd be using Librebooted hardware in combination with a distro like Parabola or Void, among others.

Works on my machine™

>Leahboot
FTFY

This look awful.

>novidya in linux
You asked for it
Have you installed and launched compton?

That looks pretty damn good, a decent step up from the earlier releases I remember from years ago
Are they still releasing on the same old x.04/ x.10 schedule?