Electron

Thoughts?

Attached: electron.png (1230x1246, 130K)

lighter than proton, at least. Too bad you can't locate it in a time specifically.

react + electron is pretty nice from a developer's perspective imho.

>muh developer time
5 soyfucks from san fagcisco thought their time was more important than the time spent by their thousands of customers waiting for their applications to boot

From a packager perspective, it's shit.

You just know instantly when you are using software made with this garbage. It's not a great experience.

The whole idea is neat, HTML and CSS is very easy to design decent interfaces. I'd probably complain less if Chromium is super small in size, but in reality, it isn't, and to pack a Chromium copy in every software release is ridiculous.

I don't mind when it's s free spplication.

I fucking hate it, it's part of the trend that everything has to eat a ridiculous amount of resources. Now that I think of it, it's probably 90% of the problem (together with stuff that runs in your browser with javascript, which is essentially the same). Fuck webdevs and fuck javascript

CANCER

Having one, constantly updated version of chromium for electron apps would be the best solution, I think.
Though this runs into a dead end when new updates break something and the dev isn't updating his app anymore.

>container for JS soyboy webkoder numale faggots so they can spread their shit-tier horrendous memory-fucking lagware. Its like the equivalent of ionic or some shit framework so that lazy people only have to write one gay JS codebase and get two """"native"""" Android and iOS apps, except for desktop.
Shit is cancerous.

Attached: 1488941101032.jpg (493x449, 43K)

/thread

Attached: 75e9f520c81641a2a8306e714bbb1f46.jpg (549x603, 25K)

/thread

>HTML and CSS is very easy to design decent interfaces
That's wrong.
A rich UI with complex widgets that any modern toolkit provides is a HUGE pain in HTML/CSS (+JS, because it's impossible with HTML/CSS alone).

If GUIs are too hard for you then just use a RAD tool.
I take a VisualBasic program over an Electron app.

>5 soyfucks from san fagcisco thought their time was more important

because it is.

my thoughts are only negative

entry level salary for a dev in the bay area is 130k-ish and goes to 200k+ for senior level.

their time is more valuable

And they get to live in a closet in a converted garage with 6 roommates and a bucket to shit in

it's not a particle desu

I won't allow this on my desktop

depends.
You can get a nice 2bdr for ~4k/month. Share it with your buddy and you're looking at 24k/year from 130k pre-tax leaves you enough for savings. Expensive still.

for

I see many people saying that electron packages are fucking trash. Why would it be? I know that the boot time is kinda slow, but there's something besides it?

They're web apps bundled with a browser pretending to be native apps.

>electron packages
It's guaranteed that most electron based applications aren't updated to fix the latest chromium vulns. And most electron apps are some shitty web client. Go figure.
Of course, that is dwarfed by the problems that
>npm packages
pose.

You could embed MSHTML control in your program if you want fancy HTML UI.

Usually programs made with it are a bit slow to start and heavy on memory usage. The time it saves on development is nice though. I don't like it, but I also don't get irrationally upset when it's used.

It doesn't actually save on development, refer back to the mythical man month, there are no magical productivity enhancements in development, a bloated app is a bloated app, adding another 5 million lines of code dependency to your project is a huge risk, etc...

No, the land they live on is more valuable though, and mostly because of civics reasons and not because it contains any more valuable resources than anywhere else in the US