Why do motherboards (and hardware in general) look so gay now...

Why do motherboards (and hardware in general) look so gay now? I miss the days where heatsinks were actually made of densely packed copper fins instead of anodized aluminium or plastic.

Attached: board_x_big.jpg (1694x2026, 984K)

Other urls found in this thread:

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/Z370/C7Z370-CG-L.cfm
chipdip.ru/product0/9000471985
reddit.com/user/Nautalis/submitted/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't know what you're talking about user. This is pretty sexy

Attached: X370 Taichi(L3).png (1200x1000, 417K)

That black and white scheme looks pretty fucking soy to me, I prefer an all black mobo. Also server-grade parts on consumer boards should become a thing again, muh OCing.

>all that plastic junk on the left side of the board
>stupid silkscreened graphics on the PCB
>heatsinks that barely have any exposed fin area
no user, that's a perfect demonstration of how ugly motherboards are today

>cogs don't match up
>sexy

Attached: GpEadwh.jpg (346x153, 49K)

You do know thermals improved so enormous heatsinks aren't necessary in most cases?

dumb gaymer aesthetics

>I prefer an all black mobo
You been watching too much BLACKED.com user?

>Also server-grade parts on consumer boards should become a thing again
Asus WS or Supermicro.

>Why are all new motherboards actually decent to look at and not use 30 different colored plastics?

FTFY. And there are decent boards if you know what to look for. AND the plastic shrouds can be removed. The last motherboard I've owned that was amazing is pic related.

Attached: LD0001579621_2.jpg (1600x1600, 705K)

You obviously don't know anything about style

You're looking for Jetway motherboards

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/Z370/C7Z370-CG-L.cfm

Attached: 1727965-n0.jpg (579x700, 89K)

Don't really give a shit about aesthetics, a green PCB is fine too.

>ASUS WS or Supermicro
Terrible fucking UEFIs.

The modern heatsinks still look worse. Why can't they just use plain ones like the server boards do? This is how VRM and chipset heatsinks should look.

Attached: 1332370607344.jpg (723x600, 565K)

I know that your style is pure cringe if you think all that white plastic and those "epic" unnecessary steampunk cogs look good.

>Style over function
kys

These are actually decent looking.

>IT USED TO BE BETTER IN THE OLD DAYS

Attached: 4.jpg (700x427, 122K)

Next you're going to tell me fedoras aren't cool. You don't know style user, get over it.

It's one of the best x370 boards user

Get a biostar mobo

Looks like Starbursts

Using pic related, other than the Realtek networking and audio chips it's pretty fucking based.

Attached: 2001454149.png (508x341, 58K)

MSI makes shit Momo's though :(

I think they use those to keep costs down, not because they dissipate heat the best.

is unironically better looking than

>pssst.. hey kid. Feed me a Phenom.

Attached: board.jpg (1200x1117, 466K)

Just depends on your luck really, I've had to RMA several ASUS boards in the past couple years. Most consumer tech is shit anyway.

>Realtek Networking
>Sub-par audio

And this is what kills me. If they made a plain Jane motherboard with top end audio, Intel based LAN, good caps and VRM's etc I'd gladly pay $150 for it. I don't care about OC and GAYMUR XXXTREM3 RGB SYNC.

Pic related was my latest purchase for my server. I have an Asus ROG Crosshair VI in my 1700X build because it's the absolute best board you can get for Ryzen. Features and support wise, but God do I wish it wasn't so over the top.

Attached: SuperMicroBoard.jpg (1000x763, 176K)

These were made out of calcified vomit. Beautiful.

Attached: DCP_5456.jpg (1240x1018, 665K)

Using an Intel NIC and I'm passing audio through a DAC, so it doesn't really affect me senpai, it'd be nice to have those features out of the box for sure though.

lmao you actually believe that you fruitball

>actually buying intel's boards

It's the truth, boyo.

>Intel's Boards
huh? That's a SuperMicro board. Unless you're talking about using Intel CPUs in general. If the latter, I don't have a choice. I want ECC in my server. I already own a Haswell Pentium G3260 and DDR3 ECC is cheap.

AMD only has Threadripper and EPYC that can correct 2 bit errors. Ryzen is hit and miss and can only capture 1 bit errors. I'd have to go from buying just a board and some RAM, to a $1000 setup minimum.

Masterrace

Attached: 61z8a kuLqL._SL1416_.jpg (1416x991, 94K)

Aluminum is cheaper and works well on low TDP applications like chipsets. I’ve used Al heatsinks on up to 95Watt CPUs no problem. Many aircooled 130 watt+ chips will still use copper. Also, Omnipath HCAs have copper heatsinks and they’ve been around since maybe 2015.

copper is overkill, heavy, and far pricier. aluminum is fine, the retarded paintjobs aren't but alas what can you do when retards run companies

>Server board uses $.25 heatsink to keep cost down instead of $1 one
No they use them cuz they work fine.

>caring about something you spend a whopping 30minutes in your peripheral vision while you assemble the pc and proceed to never look at it again
oh this is that thing where you pretend to be as big a faggot as possible to get as many (yous) as possible because you get no attention from mammy in your neetlife

Attached: 4fc.jpg (600x610, 26K)

What

You don't know their life, for all we know you're the seen. They call it projection in psychology

>why do they look so gay now
>posts motherboard with rainbow colors

Attached: 1457847469262.jpg (447x456, 32K)

CPUs became more power efficient, so they got prioritized gaymer aesthetics over efficiency. This is now biting us in the ass because for the first time in a decade core counts and frequencies are going up, and the dog shit vrms that have become so popular are melting.

It's build quality on some of the X58 motherboards were amazing compared to anything you'll see on X370 or Z370.

People want style. If they're going to buy something great, they want it to look great too.

>Reee it isn't plain ant hurts my autism feelings
They're not going to make hardware for people who can only afford a used cum stained ThinkPad.

>projection
i'm not the one prancing around as a faggot to garner (you)s with the most retarded bait
good try at your "i know you are but what am i!" tho

Attached: 1523485553325.jpg (3500x1200, 1.04M)

Gigabyte board actully does looks better just due to having some real copper VRM heatsinks. There is even a tiny heatsink for the top 2 mosfets

Macfags are so fucking retarded.

Attached: best thermal paste.gif (332x332, 2.65M)

Photoshop has built in spellcheck.
Looks like you used GIMP.

>best apple macbook
>not the 2015 pro

stop being a faggot

There is the MSI B350 PC Mate. However, it's not a strong overclocker. It also has had some chipset issues at times.

Source: Own one. Will probably swap it for an X370/X470 board when the new chipset launches in two weeks.

i feel violated

Goyim, just buy an MSI Z370 GODLIKE featuring the XTREME AUDIO DAC

Attached: Z370-godlike-gaming-RGB.jpg (1755x1936, 787K)

I'm still using that exact same mobo

Nice b8, plenty of (You)'s

chipdip.ru/product0/9000471985

Attached: 1474909975001.png (350x338, 46K)

>Asus P5Q Deluxe
Shiiiiiit, I had that motherboard, and I fucking loved it. Lasted for many years and was built like a tank; it could handle anything I threw at it.

I believe Intel hasn't made new boards in years

>Consumer socket
>3 m.2 slots
>1 16x slot
>3 16x slots wired for 8x
How? I would understand if that was LGA2066 or TR4, but all those lanes with LGA1151 makes no sense.

i wonder if it's always the same retard wondering the same fucking thing every fucking day. kill yourself, OP

Attached: tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif (250x141, 94K)

there's literally nothing wrong with realtek audio

>UNLIMITED POWERRRRRR

Attached: Screen-Shot-2015-05-20-at-11.48.43-AM.png (1102x535, 625K)

Ouch, that edge
White and red masterrace

Attached: cd46048a_board.jpg (980x798, 253K)

If you have a window on your case then you're underaged.

>heatsinks ... made of ... plastic
user...

because server boards sell based on specs
gay men boards are sold to a broader range of people from adults who don't care either way, to kids who may care how 'cool' it looks
basically, it's win-win, those who don't care don't care, those who do will appreciate weirdly-shaped heatsinks

I take it you've not seen the reviews of some cheaper boards.

i haven't looked into mobos since i got my current one (2012)
don't take this as doubt, but could you link to one that uses plastic where it should be metal? that's really concerning

I think even the ones made of aluminium can actually make the temps higher. Some of those boards get lower temps if you just remove the heatsinks.

Gigabyte recently made a board with actual heatsinks. Will be nice to see more boards like that.

I can't find the exact model, but I saw it on Jow Forums so maybe some user can recall.
Also note , many modern motherboard use tiny aluminum heatsinks and put a plastic shroud on top of them.

>Soylike enthusiast gayming

Anodising the heat sink to be black increases their emissivity therefore making them radiate significantly more heat than a shiny heat sink. In other words, just heat up your copper heat sink to get it covered in copper oxide for the best of both worlds. But if you've got a fan blowing over the heat sink, the amount of heat dissipated through radiation will be insignificant to that dissipated though convection anyway.

>Anodising the heat sink to be black increases their emissivity therefore making them radiate significantly more heat than a shiny heat sink.
Isn't it actually the opposite?

no, it does help, but only very slightly

why does this animation even exist?

Blackbodies radiate and absorb radiation much more readily than a perfect reflector, which will radiate and absorb none. Absorptivity and emissivity of a material are the same, barring metamaterials, which I know fuck-all about.

-- oh, that is assuming it's not exposed to sunlight or something
darker colours absorb light better than light colours, but the opposite isn't true

K4 A QT

Attached: file.png (1200x1000, 1.14M)

Designed by Julian Clary

Attached: julian motherboard designer.jpg (480x360, 11K)

The "plastic junk" work as a cage protecting I/O and audio components
I like the stupid transfer graphics on the PCB, have no affect in performance
Heatsinks doesnt need 300 fins to mean anything, it must have enough surface area to dissipate the heat of the VRMs, the surface area is what matter, not the amount of fins. Fins are more effective if direct airflow is applyed, if not, they are just sharp blades that will cut your hand while trying to install your cpu cooler.
VRMs can go up to 120 °C If a motherboard have no heatsinks in the VRM dont dare to use a high tdp cpu or overclock it.

Check my image, it is a B350 Asus board, cheap and overclockable, but no heatsinks on the VRMs, it still have holes to install generic heatsinks on it, but would you ramp up voltage to try and get 4.1 with a 1800X or 4.3 in a 2700X? I wouldn't.

Attached: 4b036ea8d9cb2cffc12bdfd25f55db35-1200x900.jpg (1200x900, 223K)

Just need to go for the premium boards. Even ECS (Elitegroup) had good motherboards in their premium segment.

Motherboards will never be this sexy ever again.

Attached: 539670_orig0.jpg (1600x1066, 572K)

>ECS (Elitegroup)
>had good motherboards

Attached: index.jpg (229x220, 10K)

I rocked a black series on my Phenom II, ramped up to 4.0Ghz and was like that for over 5 years. No problem.

I remember being mighty salty around 2002 or so because boards insisted on including those useless AMR or CNR slots instead of just sticking a handy ISA slot at the bottom of the board.

Bought the same one, user. Works great with my Xeon and GPU passthrough. I use it for plex and stuff and pass through a workstation cheap graphics card with a Windows 8.1 VM to my TV so I can steam stream/play emulators downstairs since the server’s down there anyways. Love the IPMI features.

because some rodditor thought it would be funny
reddit.com/user/Nautalis/submitted/

I actually do like RGB but that many LEDs on a mobo pisses me off.

>"game boost" knob
>goes up to 11
Fucking what
Fucking why

personally i really like the super gaudy stuff
im debating spending the extra dosh on a Z370 Dead End (tm) system just to have this board from biostar and some yellow LED ram
black/yellow just isnt common anymore

Attached: b20170919_2.jpg (1024x765, 173K)

in the 939 crossfire boards, ECS had the best looking one

Attached: KA3-MVP-A_lg.jpg (500x418, 135K)

>he doesnt have a qt3.14 mini itx socket 478 board

Attached: $_57.jpg (1600x1350, 410K)

Why do so many motherboards only have 2 RAM slots now

8gb sticks are the most common, most people wont buy more than 8/16gb
no need for more slots
its still retarded desu and i think 4 should be a minimum even on mini itx boards, but i guess mobo manufactures are cheaping out, since very few people use more than 2 slots they dont see a reason to include them on basic/entry level boards

>VRMs can go up to 120 °C If a motherboard have no heatsinks in the VRM dont dare to use a high tdp cpu or overclock it.
Because all motherboards uses D-PAK MOSFETs. /s

>horizontal cpu configurations

Attached: pentium_II_computer.jpg (3500x2329, 1.13M)

>caring about the colouring
How fucking soy. It is a machine, a tool, not a dress up doll

My first and also current motherboard that i bought 2 years ago.
Pretty minimalist compared to a lot of the crap they release these days.
Looks good inside my enthoo pro black.

Attached: five_pictures1_3266_20140829112347.png (600x480, 174K)