Oldie chips but goodie chips #2

Last thread: Discuss chips. Assemblers, assembly language, machine code, interrupts, what you're working on, etc

Attached: gameboy.jpg (2544x1416, 903K)

RLD and RRD are quite freaky bizarre specialized Z80 instructions, but quite fun and useful.

Are those fingers tinned with solder for a better connection?

Not the OP but i would think so.
Thicker traces push harder against the gameboy connector.
Not sure if a good idea on long term.

ti c2000

>chippies

good job chippieposter

Attached: MOS_Technologies_large[1].jpg (800x572, 112K)

The venerable 74141. RIP in peace.

bump

Attached: 1523582290032.jpg (603x324, 105K)

How does the SNES have some games that are like 64MB and the WDC 65816 only has 24-bit addressing

Its 64Megabits, not bytes.
Unless you're talking about the MSU-1 games, those use a memory mapper to swap between pages, like it happens with most NES games.

bump

Uneven thickness is unlikely to work well.

>6502 derivative
Splendid taste, user.

Dat SID doe

the carts have a memory mapper chip in them, the game software can ask for different parts of ROM to be swapped in and out of the available address space
ever seen speedruns or glitches where colours and tilemaps get all fucked up? often it's because they've skipped over the part of the program which tells the mapper to switch banks, causing the game to read data from the wrong part of rom

Last thread 404'd with only a dozen posts. Nobody even bothered to bump.
Now you make a new thread that is obviously going the same way.

There is no audience for such a thread here. All you're going to get is people posting pictures of SIDs, 6502's, MC68k's and discussing some YouTubers video about them or assembler.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, I just see there's not much to discuss here. Good idea for a thread though.

Currently doing nand2tetris atm, it's very fun

You haven't lived until you've worked with one of these.

Attached: rca1802.jpg (640x325, 15K)

Well there is no "non-PC assembly" general so I gave this a shot.

Bump. I'm trying to learn SNES/SFC chips. Lots of memory-mapped registers (is that the right term?) to remember.

Why didn't any console manufacturer used low costing amd chips until recently? Was it because of legal hurdles with intel?

Attached: L_AMD-AM2901DC-wbt.jpg (566x322, 28K)

I love the old nintendo tech. The way games were made on the original gameboy for instance was so incredibly efficient, it's beautiful. Schools should use old nintendo hardware and software as examples in class.
Walk through the pokemon r/b source or something to show all these JS fags what is possible.

It's not really that nobody went AMD, but that nobody went x86. Not counting the current gen the XBOX is the only x86 console that comes to mind

AMD didn't have its act together with thermal management until recently. Before that, it was all about desktops and servers. Can't stick a fireball of a CPU in a console.