It's 2018 and science still hasn't solved the most annoying technological issue. When will this be a thing of the past?

It's 2018 and science still hasn't solved the most annoying technological issue. When will this be a thing of the past?

Attached: iPhone-low-battery-ftr-1000x600.jpg (1000x600, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

richardkulisz.blogspot.com/2011/01/life-creates-entropy.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When lesbians rule the world

It is basically solved, you can "refill" the batteries with freely available electricity at thousands of places nationwide

>you can "refill" the batteries
The problem with rechargeable batteries is that they have a limited amount of times you can recharge them, usually around 1~2 years. After 2 years they lose their effectiveness by draining more quickly and not charging fully.

It's a really big problem with laptop batteries and phone batteries.

It won't be solved until we find a compound that doesn't wear out over time.

2008 smartphones: 1-3 days battery life
2018 smartphones: 1-3 days battery life

old ass fucking Note 3 battery doesnt even last a fucking day of nothing but text messages and twitter but it seems like no other modern phone out there lets you swap out the battery for a new one.

How long do phones even last these days

>It won't be solved until we find a compound that doesn't wear out over time.
Or switch to fuel cells. Imagine sticking a pen sized tube of hydrogen into your laptop to keep it going when not plugged in, and feeding it water so it can electrolyze more hydrogen when it is plugged in.

This is simply not true. The iPhone doesn't count every time you plug it in to a full charge but rather every time you complete a full discharge cycle. So if your phone is at 25% and you charge it to 100% you will complete a full discharge when you go back down to 75%
That is if your battery doesn't explode because fuck QC of any form I think you'll be fine.

> usually around 1~2 years
Usually around 3-4 years. Easily stretched to like 8+ years if you can afford to not fully charge / discharge them on LiPo chemistries.

And then I guess you replace the battery, eh.

Note 4. Though I think you meant a different brand before; the Note 3 of this one also is about the same.

Attached: gsmarena_redmi_note_4.jpg (728x314, 57K)

Imagine not ever being able to take your electronic device onto a plane.

you mean entropy?

Transparent solar panels as screens.

How often do people leave their phones lay out in the sun?

What if you took out the fuel cell? Also, trains are quite fine with me overall.

1-2 years planned obsolescence. Either the battery fucks up or the phone stops getting updates and runs slower because of a new software update.

solar power also just isnt ideal considering some places receive very little sunlight. would also suck in the winter months.

Nuclear battery. It is a thing in watches.

>tfw no fallout timeline where everything literally last 200+ years because nuclear everything

>stops getting updates and runs slower because of a new update

Attached: this is not okay.jpg (305x270, 17K)

Attached: fixed.jpg (1000x600, 41K)

when resources stop being scarce

>commies
>capable of logic reasoning

just buy a new one on ebay and replace it.
If you don't have the skills, pay someone to do it for you.

When you stop being such a complete and utter faggot. Kys.

It will be solved, when developers will stop using Int64 for 1 bit length variable.

Nice bait faggot, I almost feel for it.

But is really a problem. In x86 you can use half of half of half registers (8 bit) and it will consume slightly less electricity, since ALU will not have to do all 64 bits.

You've got to be shitting me, nigger. That's not how it works. Operation is performed on the whole register so it's the same power use for any size data. Resolving padding and packing takes processing effort and drains battery, storing data is free power-wise.

You can ADD AL AH. This will be the half of AX

this is only true if you never *ever* have to deal with 64-bit operations.

true, if you switch your x86 CPU to 8-bit mode you could use less electricity than if you used the full 64 bits, but now you're forced to do 64-bit math in 8 instructions which is infinitely worse.

if you think the efficiency problem is a fault of the oversized ALU and not the cache misses wasting CPU cycles waiting for your slow-ass RAM and your slow-ass bus then you're either misinformed or are baiting.

and using 1-bit length variables suck because you'd have to use bit shifting and masking crap to address 1-bit aligned variables.

They solved it around 1996 with small mobile phones fitting in the palm of your hand and batteries lasting for weeks.

>Any smartphone in 2018
>lasting more than 1 day

mine easily lasts 2-3 days of moderate use or 1 whole day of heavy use

I don't know ask a chemist.

In the mean time we could just come up with modular standardized battery form factors that are easily replaced.

Fortunately for phone and laptop manufactures people are content to just buy a whole new device rather than just replace the batteries. Its funny to think a phone could get 2+ more years of life for a 20-40 dollar battery replacement. I suppose its cheap enough for consumers to just eat it.

Its funny when you think about it. Imagine this, hey your tires are balding on your car. Time to buy a new car! Yay planed obsolescence and consumerism.

Attached: 1acda31.jpg (225x230, 4K)

Batteries fucking suck and are one of the slowest advancing technology around. If you didn't already know this you shouldn't be on a board for technology.

There's only so much energy you can store in a small space.

What phone do you guys have? I have a pixel xl and after about 2-4 hours of watching youtube or netflix and browsing clover it fucking dies, every phone I've seen or had died after a couple hours heavy use

It will be solved, when developers will stop using little-endian.

I'd guess by 2025. When solid state batteries become a thing, I think you'll be hard pressed to use portable electronics to the point where you'd run out of charge in a day of use.

This is a huge and very dumb myth. You can still generate energy fine with solar panels in cloudy weather.

i have just the 4x. not note. my battery lasts 3-4 days easily. a week if i really wanted to.

iPhone fags will cry about this. My GF charges her 6 plus 3 times a day its really fucking shit and she won't go to a based chinkphone.

This. Have LG G4 with 3000mAh battery. After browsing internet with Wifi or 4G shit drains quick, something like 1% in 2 minutes. Even when watching Youtube, it drains slower, but still pretty damn quick. Like seriously what the fuck. And it somehow drains based on certain days. Someday it will go low fast, the next day situation gets better. No I dont have additional apps opened

This is not exactly true. Going from 90% to 100% is far more damaging than going from 50% to 60%. Heat also matters a lot. If your device feels hot to the touch then you're causing the battery quite a lot of stress.

You fucking little ungrateful cunt. You will never know the time when professional audio equipment ran on packs of AA dry cell batteries and recharbles could not pull amps and were crazy expensive. Lithium is a huge jump up from where we were I just got a new battery for iPhone 6 after 3 years of 24/7 use for AU $39... I used to spend that on AA batteries just for DAT in highschool. My zoom H4 recorder still uses AA and constantly reminds me of the pain.

Attached: image.png (1334x750, 1.72M)

You'll just get 10% or less the yield, which can make generation nearly useless if you aren't extremely oversized.

I have the note 3 Doesnt last longer than 8 hours.

I have 3 fucking batteries that I cycle through.

I go through almost 2 full charges in a day.

How are people getting 3 days of charge on a phone? I have never lived like this

Quickcharge is the best. It's one of those "can't go back" things, once you charge your battery from 20% to 90% in 30 minutes while you take a shit you just can't go back to having to charge overnight

Even extremely dense clouds only reduce solar generation efficiency by 25%. Far less for average clouds.

The problem with battery technology is that we're trying to cram 1/10th the energy density of explosives into something that won't fucking kill you.

On a cloudy day, typical solar panels can produce 10-25% of their rated capacity.

Just use NiMHs, or do a li-ion swap.

All these people complaining about how their phone's battery lasts barely any time or boasting that it lasts ages, it depends on what kind of charge cycles you put it through. Whether it's 100%-0% daily or dropping it down to 80% before recharging, high or low current, temperature, even leaving it plugged in to charge.

Conservation of energy you dumb OP.
You need to feed yourself daily too you know?

>science hasn't solved powerful small devices using a lot of energy by the very fact that they are powerful
WHAT THE FUCK SCIENCE WHY ARE YOU NOT MAGIC

...holy fuck, kids.

In the future is a mechanical wound battery. Inside it is unique created crystal sands, fans, and static eletrical gathering rods. CSE battery.

bs sci fi

No.

Entropy can be reversed in non closed systems. Life is an example.

I wish I had an android waifu that could cook, clean and bare my children in its artificial womb. Modern women can't provide that any more.

2008 smartphones: 480p
2018 smartphones: 480000p

I have the Redmi Note 3. Easily lasts longer than 8 hours.

Life creates entropy.
richardkulisz.blogspot.com/2011/01/life-creates-entropy.html?m=1

underrated comment

yes, solve thermodynamics lazy sciencefags!

My 2nd gen Moto E generally lasts me 3 days of moderate use as long as my brightness isn't too high

Compare that to my LG g4 which seemed to drain within a few hours, regardless of anything I did

because these fucking kikes keep making the battery smaller to push le thin smartphone meme

Attached: 1500706376-sakuramad.png (400x300, 136K)

>the year is 2040
>new iPhone3000xMega2 is realeased
>unfortunately the was an issue with the battery drivers
>LA was basically vaporized within seconds by the fission rection of the battery

>kikes

spotted the Jow Forumstard..

Also don't blame Apple to make sub par products, blame the sheeples that buy stuff that is way behind the technological possibilities

The 6 plus is two years older than the note 4, so unless she purposely got an outdated phone to match yours, I’d say you’re a retard for comparing a device with about 2+ years battery wear on it to your relatively new device. I get 2-3 days out of my 7 plus too, and I actually use all the radios 24/7 and moderate use of internet based messenger apps, moderate use of web browsing, and frequently throw it and drop it on purpose just to show off how it doesn’t break.
You’re dumber than your girlfriend

Life is pretty much the opposite of entropy.
Your whole metabolism is all about fighting entropy every day in each cell, i.e. sodium-potassium pumps..

>issue
>not a specifically implemented feature to keep you buying new phones
Ever wonder why replaceable batteries aren't a thing anymore?

Attached: 29425843_2129441500617581_6305460396707983212_n.jpg (720x253, 33K)

lol you dumb cunt most phones haven't gotten thinner last 3 years

even the iphone

dumb cunt doesn't even read shit just complains

It’s like we’re on reddit or worse... Facebook. Where they don’t even finish watching the 15 second videos they comment on

It won't because manufacturers will rather make the phones slimmer for an advancement in battery technology and keep the net capacity the same than create a slightly larger phone which actually lasts you a day. This way you will also have to buy a new phone every 2 years when the battery capacity decreases.

phones haven't been getting thinner

even if they gave you new battery tech it would still be shit in 2 years

even if they somehow fit 6500mAh in there it would probably die in

>fission rection
>what is a fuel cell

I never said it didn't, you fool. I said life is an example of how entropy can be reversed in a non closed system. It's like how plugging your phone into a charger reduces the entropy of the battery. Total entropy in the universe is raised at the cost of reducing it in a small part of it.

The 2nd law of the of thermodynamics states that entropy of closed systems must always increase. Open systems can take advantage of external energy to become ordered. The sun, for instance.

Oukitel K10000 Pro, K6000
Xiaomi devices with 4000mAh battery
Any phone used by someone who isn't an addict

okay

Nigga the laws of thermodynamics make what you’re describing impossible.

high density supercaps when?

>2000 cellphone
>2 weeks of battery
>2018 smartphone
>1 day of battery if you're lucky
stop falling for the meme

Not correct.

The energy density of a parallel plate capacitor is dependant on the capacitor's dielectric strength and permittivity, and nothing else. Simply put, this maxes out at a good few orders of magnitude less than Li-ions for conventional dielectrics. However, materials with superb permittivity such as calcium-copper-titanate may hold some potential in this field, as might some materials with very high dielectric strength like diamond. Leakage current too is an issue. The other way around this is to use non-parallel plate capacitors, which supercapacitors are. The aluminium electrode is grown with a multitude of nodules on its surface that vastly increase its surface area, and hence its capacitance. But this also decreases its dielectric strength as the nodules make the two plates closer together, hence why super capacitors tend to have a very low breakdown voltage.

My MotoE4 lasts me like 2/3 days on a charge with a 2800 MAh battery. Yesterday I had 5 hours sot on LTE and was at 42% when I went to bed at 11pm.

May want to check for rogue apps bud

> 2000 cellphone
Used as a phone only.

> 2018 smartphone
Used as people's main, most used personal computer. Instead of laptop or desktop

It can now run for over 10h rather than maybe 1.5h on a smaller battery while doing substantially more work [the computer, not the human].

batteries are not a problem if they're going to survive the intended life cycle of the product they're serving for
If a portable product was designed for the declared purpose to have the same life span of Windows XP, probably it would have been "solved" already.
Too bad that making a product with such a long life cycle is against any sane marketing strategy, therefore you're doomed by consumerism (even if we've already scraped the bottom of the barrel of Moore's Law and there's barely something more to "innovate" on portable devices any more)

Attached: 1498596330064.jpg (600x494, 29K)

>main, most used personal computer
Define "personal computer"
If you intend to compare it with productive tools like workstations, laptops and the like, the comparison is moot
People DON'T do anything productive using the "smart" capabilities in a "smartphone", this is an undeniable fact. Anything productive requires AT LEAST a tablet, still a laptop is required for decent efficiency
Ubiquitous depersonalizing toys != personal computers
Then again, most people don't need a "personal computer" at all since all they care is candy crush, facebook, tinder and whatsapp. For them, a portable device with internet connection is enough

>Define "personal computer"
The usual long-standing definition:
> a multi-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and price make it feasible for individual use

> Anything productive requires AT LEAST a tablet
Wrong. Railway conductors and mail delivery staff, logistics people, as well as various restaurant staffers and many more productively use smartphones as one of the main devices they actually operate on their job. And oh, the plumbers and electricians, too. Pretty sure there are quite a few more, but at least those I saw personally use smartphones on the job for the job.

Even so, smartphones surely are more on the consumer side, but so were personal computers from ~like the mid 90ties on.

Never
Another problem is the more energy density it has, the more... well, energy density it has. There are constantly improvements made over the standard li-ion technology, some can hold much more energy than what you get in consumer products, but the problem is, when things go wrong, it just releases too much energy. Some devices with existing batteries have already proven to be tiny pocket bombs.

It has been solved. Just buy a new iPhone when your battery runs out.

The most optimal solution for the Apfel would be to buy your own iphone factory, as it seems you can't even use genuine replacement parts anymore when something goes down.

It takes a plane six hours to get to the other side of the country. It takes a train eight hours to get to the other side of the state. It is faster to take a taxi to a rental car place, get a rental car and drive to your destination, than it is to take a train.

Absolutely this

>New laptops will get 80% hotter, with everything soldered and worse battery life but we made them 20% thinner xD

I wish IBM hadn't cucked away to lenovo

Lithium metal batteries are rumored to hold a charge for 30 days. I'm not sure when they'll start being shipped in consumer products, but advances in battery technology are making huge strides forward. If I had to guess, it won't be long before this is a meme of the past.

How can you consume media on a phone screen? What's wrong with you?

Batteries that can be recharged with sunlight?

>he doesn't know

>When will this be a thing of the past?
Energy storage is tricky. You could ask yourself "what makes a good battery?" Then it would be:
>it stores high amount of energy in a small contained space
>it's portable and has a low weight
>its cheap and can be manufactured easily
>it can be charged and discharged quickly
>it's safe and cannot be hacked to make a bomb
where the last point is the tricky part, because an ideal energy container minus safety is basically a powerful bomb

Battery capacity is higher than every, you retards. They can make shit thinner without losing capacity because SoC boards are absolutely tiny, your phone is basically an enormous battery with a screen on the front of it.

You could have all the battery life you want.

But then your phone would be 2mm thicker and you look like a complete dork.

you are all fucking retards for blaming battery technology and not the absurdly inefficient operating system that pretty much runs a JIT compiler all the fucking time, uses a 100 niggawatt radio signal to download and parse XfuckingML, sends data to jews every 5 seconds, has 16 cores and a 8K screen just to shit out indian whatsapp memes

introducing the 2020 Samsung Hindenburg 1

but on a train you can be super comfy and get food and stretch out (if it's a good train). a freind used to work for amtrak and i would take free rides and get work done on wifi with my surface. it was super comfy