How is that job search going user.

I will be graduating in 1 month and I have not sent in the first application

Attached: feel-00005.jpg (286x256, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/carp.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>i got plenty of time

8 months neeting it up, couldn't be worse

I got my first rejection email yesterday.

do you ever read the rejection email on your phone when you wake up and then just sleep the rest of the day?

Graduating this fall. Just landed an internship with a commercial real estate company doing data management.

>gave up on trying to find employment in the field
>just applied to everything I could
>took what I was offered
>used my skills to do my job better and quicker
>employer is amazed
>moved out of shit tier job to become "the computer guy"
>negotiate salary commensurate with impact on business operations

From start to finish (in writing) in 3.5 months. Just gotta take a gamble sometimes and be ready to shine.

This, take a chance OP, once your career takes off you will laugh and feel like 6 months was nothing

The fact that you're still using meme frog in 2018 isn't looking good for your ability to find employment.

Same

Attached: 1416022947400.png (500x450, 16K)

Just got hired feels good

What are you graduating as?

Just got a job at IBM 10 months after graduating.

>Graduated last year, only offer I had was with the place I interned at
>We don't have any direct positions available so we'll have to hire you as a contractor and make you permanent when the hiring situation improves
>It's been almost a year, still a contractor
>They're interviewing others for direct positions but won't even consider me
>Still no job offers anywhere else
This is not how I wanted it to turn out.

>tfw got hired as a tech for $16/hr with just a few comptia certs
lmao'ing at all you good goys right now

If you're in the US, you should start finding out what your department of labor says about contractors. In a lot of places, keeping a contractor in the same position past a certain length of time is a no-go. Depending on the work you've been doing, hours you've been expected to keep at the location where you do your work, etc., it may not be legal for them to keep you on as a contractor anymore and instead afford you proper full-time employment. Or shit can you.

Ok mates, how do I fake it out to get a system admin job?

You're supposed to be doing all the networking during your time in uni. That way you'll have easier time finding jobs.

Fake study sysadmin tasks, and fake learn them until you can fake do them easily.

I got rejected from amazon mechanical turk

I still don't understand how that's even possible

It took me 6 months after graduation to get an offer and now I do full stack work for $80k
Don't get discouraged.

>inb4 hotpockets nuke thread because they're clueless dicks
Going back to school this summer having changed my major to Accounting, minor in digital forensics. Just applied to another student job in the IT financial department that would have me doing accounting shit basically.

I don't really know what else to call it but fortune if I even get an interview, much less get the job. I have confidence in my resume, but I'm scared that I'm going to be overlooked in favor of a """""diversity""""" hire named Rajesh or Abdul or Clara.

Attached: 1513405292547.jpg (854x537, 108K)

Wtf is comptia

I can learn about them m8, but the problem is LYING on the job interview and CV when they could ask for proof of the title or a number to call to check past job exp .

I'm not an independent contractor, I work full-time for an engineering company that has me assigned on contract to the company that I actually work at. I get full-time pay and benefits and all that, it's just that I technically work for this other company that has nothing to do with me and doesn't give a shit about me and I get worse benefits than the direct employees do.

A large portion of the people at the place I work at have the same contract arrangement, but I'm the only one in my department who's a full-time contractor. The other contractors in my group are some old dudes who retired from the company and draw their pension while also contracting part-time which is obviously a different situation from mine.

vendor neutral certifications

How good is your resume, which major were you in before and why are you changing?

Sent my first application in a few weeks after graduating, got a job 2 weeks later.

Better late than never user, it moves rather slow, but a day is all it takes for opportunities to fly away.

I did a placement year as part of my degree and got a job offer with the company for after graduation, which I accepted. I'm starting there at the end of July :^)

>tfw got hired as a tech for $16/hr with just a few comptia certs

ohhhh certs, for $16/hour they got their money's worth.

Stop lying to OP. We send frog memes daily to one another at work.

I suppose most employers won't recognize or want those and would actually prefer Cisco and Microsoft certs?

My resume is pretty damn good for where I'm at right now experience wise. Prior major was Info-Eng Technology but I just got sick and tired of it all, the program and the classes I was having to take, plus my prior student job as a tech was becoming monotonous and grating having to deal with the fucking customer problems day in day out. God, I hate the fucking ticketing system. I work best as a bench tech. I can communicate with customers fine, but I fucking hate doing it.

I dropped out last semester because I hit a boiling point and needed a long time coming break. A couple months ago, the decision just came to my mind that I should switch to Accounting. There really was no logical reason behind it, but I've always had a somewhat keen interest in the financial aspect of things, but that always took a back seat to my technological side.

At this point in time I'm hoping to get a formal education in a financial side of things but keep a practical experience in tech going as well. Supposedly the two should mesh together nicely in the coming future, or so I hope.

Whatever you say grandpa. Still posting top text/bottom text impact font memes too I bet.

Cisco certifications are the absolute diamond standard in terms of certification. Having Cisco certs CCNA and above makes you almost insta-hired, specifically in the networking world, but also in closely related spheres as well.

really depends. only familiar with sec+ but heard good things about a+ and net+. unless the position you are applying for has a hard requirement for a certification I wouldn't really worry.

i got hired w/o having any serious certs so im not crazy about em.

Nice trips.

Tell me more about how you're a cock sucking faggot.

>you're a cock sucking faggot
Look in the fucking mirror loser. Go back to Facebook where your memes are still relevant.

Go give your supervisor some hints on your situation. I've been on this before, I just kept hintig my boss every week until he finally gave me a head count, probably stolen from other department.

Yes, for those $16/hour jobs; meanwhile me with my MS degree is earning $100/hour.

Wrong.

> diamond standard
lol

So tired of seeing these retards showup. As someone who has interviewed multiple CCNA/CCNPs they're at best able to turn on a computer.

At worst they dont even know TCP/IP, cannot even subnet, barely have any idea the difference between layer 2, 3, and 4.

Shoot for CCNA/CCNP if you want to compete with a pool of retards who braindumped.

what would be your advice to someone who studied instead of braindumped, to stand out?

And for those undergrad who is not sure about your future, go bother your professor until he recognizes you, especially those with research projects. You will usually get a temp RA job doing intern-tier shit until you find a real job or be promoted to a real RA.

I've been doing more than hinting for a while, but I've basically given up hope of having a future here long-term. They have the headcount now which was the excuse I was getting at first, but now the excuse is that they're using that headcount to hire one senior engineer position I'm not even close to qualified for and one for a development program for a career path I was stupid enough to admit I didn't want.

I just wish applying for jobs wasn't so tedious and hopeless, and I guess I've done a shit job networking.

Either you live in fucking India, or you're literally getting the worst applicants through sheer luck or amazing coincidence. It's the same as every other job in IT. You look at their practical experience/history plus their education and then any supplementing certifications, in which CCNA and above are the markers of extra cream on the cake. Not to mention that employers love Cisco certification holders because Cisco does deals with employers that give them discounts depending on how many cisco certified employees they hold and what type.

Actually know the material lol.

Look, I hate posting on these because it turns into flame war. desu I should just realize they're bait by now.

IT Certs are MARKETING MATERIALS; they do the following:
> Make people buy materials to LEARN their product and thus consume it
> Promise the business MARKETING in return if they hire CERTIFIED candidates

I offer you two solutions:
1. Go to school for IT..... inb4 dont want to, etc.
2. Build a home lab... Get a job, then plateau your career when you cant get jobs in healthcare, finance because you havent went to school.

Good luck user.

How is $16/hour bad? That's like $3,000 a month.

That's barely adequate for US I guess.
t. Third world shit hole, earning 3000 is literally King tier here.

retard see Cisco is no longer a product company; they're a buy up competitors and market our product company.

Anyone with half a brain can braindump CCNA/CCNP/CCIE.

If you take IT certs, the only thing you prove is that you're a certified test taker.

If your job pays for it, then sure why not. But as a career move? lol, good luck hoping that HR has any idea what the fuck any of the certs mean.

>1. Go to school for IT..... inb4 dont want to, etc.
you don't go to school for IT

interning at some hip fintech company this summer

good luck user. just mass apply and (in my experience) dont bother with cover letters unless you have the time

:(

> you don't go to school for IT
example of someone who has never went to school, observe.

i clapped when i saw your name in the example post

>conveniently glossing over my whole post and deliberately misconstruing my words
You're really a dishonest motherfucker. PRACTICALLY speaking, Cisco Certs IN ADDITION TO a good practical and educational background shine you over and above the rest, if not for the PRACTICAL reason that

1. Cisco is THE dominant player by a large margin in the networking industry and thus dictate the rules (if you hadn't heard, Cisco's proprietary EIGRP got standardized not too long ago, so it might be fucking useful to actually know the stuff you're working on)
2. Again, Cisco is THE dominant player, and thus can afford to make deals with other companies by offering these programs with certification holders.

I never said that having a CCNA or above automatically qualifies you or signifies you know what you're doing, I said it makes you almost insta-hired for the practical aforementioned reasons.

How qualified you actually are are dependent on your PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION.

I hope you're not implying that highly compressed images with black text on a white background above a reaction image are any better. Normalfag memes are shit.

Someone's jelly.

You can modify the cover letter such that it looks tailor-made.
The usual move is 'I would like to join the company as an *position name*, as I am interested in pursuing my career in *whatever* engineering field, where I find the *their program name, such as graduate engineer program* is a good opportunity to start.'

I finally got a job and my life together but I'm pretty bad at retaining wealth. I live frugal and save almost half my pay despite rent etc, but I end up buying expensive items to further distract from my lack of fulfilment. I've managed to save $3.5k but I'm 24 and feel like I should have a lot more.

> packet tracer
> web based learning
> braindumping the tests

Yea, you're so smart.

EIGRP is dead, OSPF is used by the big com providers. If you think it's not you have yet to work for an ISP. Come back when you have real world experience.

> CISCO IS THE DOMINANT PLAYER HUR HUR
Yea, no they buy up their competitors and sell piece of shit hardware that cant even compete with the likes of hardware such as FortiOS or pfSense. Get the fuck out you god damn pleb.

> How qualified you actually are are dependent on your PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION.
I agree, and CCNA/CCNP aren't educational material at all.

But since you're so keen on showing me up, and since you seem to be an expert, how do you pair two BGP backbones? I'm waiting. I want commands. This is stuff you learn in the CCNA.

At 40 hours a week that's $2,560 before taxes, compared to my $16,000 a month, big difference there guy.

I already have a job. everyone wants senior level positions, with 5 years experience in a bunch of frameworks specific to those languages. it's making it very difficult to move to another language in the field.

>sell piece of shit hardware that cant even compete with the likes of hardware such as FortiOS or pfSenss
are you a "the sysadmin" at a 10 person company or something?

Really depends where you live too. I grew up in Wisconsin and $16/hour can get you pretty far. But here in DC? Fuuuck no.

i gave up on getting anything computers related so I am currently getting my shit together so I can be an English teacher, I am Mexican, btw.

heh, just got a job in fast food
maybe one day you could get to where I am

>PHP/Laravel programmer (learned by internet and some pdfs)
>19 yo
>Create a twitter clone and an instagram clone
>Mom told me to get a fucking job because i'm a fucking neet
>Send an email to a company
>"yeh mom, i... i sent a lot of cv's by internet"
>2 days laters
>open gmail
>"Hey user, we like your portfolio, how much would you like to earn?"
>1300k
>"Ok user, could you get to our offices next monday?"
>WTF, I'M NOT READY YET
>i never answered.

yes, i'm pretty retarded.

Attached: photo_2018-04-02_23-06-39.jpg (640x640, 49K)

When you buy Cisco products you're paying for the support you god damn retard. Last I checked their 10GbE port was $25k; yea, worth it isnt it?

I've worked for hosting providers; we run our own routers with our own routing OS (guess what FreeBSD/Linux do this well) . Inb4 routing is so hard without Cisco? If you think you need cisco to do routing you dont know how to engineer networks. Come back when you do.

I had a phonecall with the CTO today...try as much as possible to avoid talking about their background and qualifications because they are all defensive fickle snowflakes.

>Inb4 routing is so hard without Cisco?
actually that's the exact opposite camp i'm coming from
cisco's switches are the only ones to buy when you're only allowed 5 minutes of downtime per year

> because CARP and layer 2 reliability is so hard

Just call them and said you were on vacation.

you sure are sensitive for only having work experience in insensitive environments, sysadmin

i don't do php anymore, i'm learning javascript and making some clones of famous websites.

Semi-true. I used to be a SA (that was 8 years ago). I'm now an SRE. If you cant keep your network equipment up you're doing it wrong. Stop building SPOF. If you dont know how to use shit like CARP you should be fired. Stop building unreliable solutions; and stop acting like your "network engineering" job is so hard; it's only hard if you dont know what you're doing.

Oh fuck off. I'm not going to get into a further pissing match with you in a battle of knowledge. I don't work in the networking field but I still know some who do at the high levels, talking with Cisco and OTHER companies directly to manage the deals. ISP's are not the only entities that run networks you fool. To claim that "big com providers" are seemingly the only networking entities that matter is purely disingenuous.

>Yea, no they buy up their competitors and sell piece of shit hardware that cant even compete with the likes of hardware such as FortiOS or pfSense. Get the fuck out you god damn pleb.
literally still doesn't change the fact that they are THE dominant player. Quality does not matter in this case.

>I agree, and CCNA/CCNP aren't educational material at all.
They're practical for when you need to know the equipment that you almost certainly will be working on. God damn, you sound like super aspergers dick waving elitist faggot

I'm done with you. You're a prick.

btw, 5 minutes of downtime is a lot; you should really get better equipment. I recommend investing in CARP software such as *BSD: freebsd.org/doc/handbook/carp.html

>2. Build a home lab...
gimme a junior level idea for a lab to do
please

not parts but just a thing to do
i'm getting rusty and don't have ideas, at least the hackerfags have vulnhub

> cant tell me how to configure BGP
> doesnt realize its easy
> whines like a bitch about to an user
> doesnt know what ISP means
> doesnt realize that RFCs define networking, not CISCO

You're saying what again self proclaimed expert?

build a home server and install a hypervisor (kvm + libvirt); install as many server OSs that you can Unix side and tinker with them; break them.

I'm the guy this idiot is responding to btw: Legit not trying to be a dick here; but people get mad when you piss on their parade.

ur both dum

Hope you have 2 years experience in the field you want an entry level job in, because that's what all the postings require.

Shut the fuck up you disingenuous faggot. You're entire argument is predicated that literally everybody who will get into the networking field will start out and/or become the entire head of network operations, which is the ONLY case where you can do everything that you claim is the best method to do everything.

But guess what? When you're a junior admin or not in control of your network, you work with what you're given, and what your given in most cases is CISCO equipment. SO, what is the likely best method going forward? Learning CISCO and playing by their rules. AFTER the fact, once you are in control of your network, yes you can do anything you want and then you have a leg to stand on in this "argument".

Fucking autist.

So what do you suggest doing then to learn or to demonstrate that you have the knowledge (prior work experience)?

So Sec+, net+, a+ are the important ones?
Which one is the most sought after?
I've seen a job offer which even askes for Microsoft certs too.

What is MS? lel

>CARP software such as *BSD
>CARP
I think you got the letters switched around.

*predicated on the assumption

esxi has been pissing me off so maybe kvm will be more fun as a change
thanks for an idea project

> ad hominem all over

I'll give you an easy one expert; what is RFC 1918?

Suck up those IT certs if your job pays for them, if not school part time

Nah, it's provided in *BSD solutions (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, etc).

the important ones are based on whatever you want to specialize in. go read over some certs and if they cover topics that interest you then go for it.

>what is RFC 1918?
bullshit everyone ignores today cause classless rules

Don't use that garbage; iirc its limited to 8 or 16GB. Use KVM + libvirt, it's what is used by big hosting providers.

Debian Stretch and Ubuntu Server LTS libvirt implementations are good and can recommend. I've ran them at multiple orgs without issues on 1TB+ bare metal systems.

Again, autist.

>I'll ignore the crux of his argument and simply spout "ad hominem" and then try and pull another equally inane "technical" question to try and prove his worth somehow

This is my last post. Don't bother responding.

Wow is this Jow Forums I know that feel

desu I've actually worked at a shit co that did ignore it and had some of their IP space revoked.

You had good points user, at least you tried.

Dude, this guy answered RFC 1918 for you: I know that the CCNA/CCNP aren't treating you well, but if you dont know that... Well sorry man I cant help you.

protip; orgs do not want to pay for cisco equipment, it's too expensive. I know, you think know what you're talking about, but you don't. When you get a job in tech (if you get a job in tech; and outside of helpdesk) you may learn this fact one day. But, you seem to be hard to work with (dont know how to learn from your mistakes etc) so you prob wont make it long.

Let me guess, entitled white boy who barely made it through college and wants a job now making 6 figures?

>went to job interview the other day
>they ask me lots of questions
>i can feel the HR person judging me
>the disappointment in his eyes
>the feeling that I am wasting their time
>finish interview
>go home and sleep all day
>they never called back

Attached: 1433273612162.gif (500x281, 386K)

Teach spanish, or better yet go back to Mexico or whichever of the brown countries you came from.