Linux distro for mom

>mom has pic related
fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fpcap/notebooks/previous/factsheet_v5535.pdf

whats the most lightweight linux distro for this old piece of shit?

Attached: 1551064-7363_04.jpg (593x600, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slitaz.org/en/
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180411.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Xubuntu!

debian + xfce4 is good for computer illiterates :3

>most
probably puppy or some other boot into ram os

>> 65526260 (You)

Why all the XFCE and not LXDE?

cause of the cute mouse

Attached: Xfce_logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 263K)

Because that mouse is cute! CUTE!!!

Gentoo.

Antix, don't fall for the Lubuntu meme since it's shit
Puppy is a bit abandoned, and XFCE hasn't been lightweight enough for less 1 GB of RAM since 2015

>debian
>for computer illiterates

Attached: 1496726192375.jpg (575x548, 49K)

>XFCE
>Not lightweight enough for 1GB ram
Xubuntu works for me at 325mb

there is tiny core linux. it has a gui and its like 16 mb

Attached: 1519444611077.jpg (284x284, 14K)

Add a web browser with modern websites and losing a third of your RAM to a DE becomes significant

thanks for the tips guys! will do a multi boot usb and try all of them for a couple hours!

Ubuntu MATE, you autists.

Worse than XFCE

Worse than XFCE but somehow equally bloated
It's only good if you want XFCE but with better HiDPI support

Mint or Elementary.

>Puppy is a bit abandoned
Since the original maintainer left, it has entirely become a community effort, but now effectively split into two branches from 6.x on (Ubuntu-based Tahr, the mainline, and Slacko).

crunchbang

>old ass pc
>elementary

>most lightweight
Just found SliTaz, a very small Openbox GNU/Linux distro with a 43 MB ISO that can run off bare minimal ram. Lastest release was 4 months ago.

slitaz.org/en/

Attached: Slitaz-4.0.png (1440x900, 526K)

Virtually any distro.

i have a 1.6GHz dual core pc running lubuntu and it works fine, i've tried xubuntu but the pc was in fire everytime so i kept lubuntu as a daily drive

Lubuntu with lxqt

this
definitely not this

this

It's not about the distro, but about what you run on it. Debian is fine. Just install a lightweight DE like XFCE.

Of course, with 1 MB RAM you can forget about running any web browser whatsoever, really. Except lynx or dillo.

>1 GB*

I put Xubuntu on me mum's laptop. She likes the cute mouse!

test

A friend of mine has an HP Pavilion with 512MB that can manage Discord on Firefox. Idk why nobody can manage to get anything out of older systems.

L U B U N T U

One of the main reasons I still use Xfce is the cute mouse during the splash screen. :^}

Linux won't run on 1mb.
OpenBSD.

Trust me, none will work bechause of the SIS MIRAGE 3 graphic shit which doesn't have any functional driver for linux, it only have for windows xp and vista.

I had the same type of laptop and it's fucking garbage bechause of the graphic card which is even worse even than the first generations of intel GMA graphics.

Trust me, none will work bechause of the SIS MIRAGE 3 graphic shit which doesn't have any functional driver for linux, it only have for windows xp and vista.

I had the same type of laptop and it's fucking garbage bechause of the graphic card which is even worse even than the first generations of intel GMA graphics.

You'll want something Windows like like Zorin. It'll make her transition to linux much easier.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

this post needs more THIS
don't be a fucking faggot, install this.

Deepin

(You)

How's mint with resources?? Mint is pretty nice for newbies.

It really doesn't depend on distro but DE.
For 384mb ram or less anything with Openbox but it's not newbie friendly.
For 512mb is go for something with enlightenment (bodhi does the job quite well)
For 1gb use mate. Xfce Is for guise who like to personalize their DE feeling, lxde is just too plain and not that light anymore (just like Xfce) and lxqt is still buggy.
For 1.5gb use cinnamon, that shit is garbage but highly user friendly.
For anything above 2gb try some Zorin or lindoz... Something that looks like windows and makes it easier for her.

my grandma uses mint cinnamon....
mint 32bit xfce is lightweight but honestly i stick to cinnamon its more polished and prettier....

>>debian
>>for computer illiterates

arent all n00b distros based on deb and its package manager ?

Op's mom or grandma won't be managing packages.
Buy her a computer, OP.

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180411.iso

Attached: 2018-04-14-005035_7680x4320_scrot.png (7680x4320, 3.82M)

Don't call your mum and old piece of shit

MX Linux, it's based on Debian so it's very stable, great out of the box experience and it's even more newbie friendly than Xubuntu. (This is coming from a noob.)

Xubuntu kept giving me random ass error messages non stop without a description or error code despite me not even having added any PPA's or stuff like that.

Why do people assume everyone is a fucking retard? Are Americans so stupid that they can't learn how to use a basic OS like Debian?

Has it ever struck you that they might not -want- to? Just like you -could- run laps around the house and get fit but you'd rather be a fatass and fiddle with Linux for hours on end. It's a question of priorities.

Only people who have never used GNU+Linux think it is any more difficult to set up than Windows or MacOS.

>not installing gentoo via ssh from your phone while you run
>taking hours to install *any* linux distribution

Attached: O0QkrgR.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

Well I know for a fact that when I plug a second HDMI monitor into a Windows machine, I won't have to fuck around in xorg to make it display a resolution higher than 640x480 after having googled the problem and read through like 10 forum threads so keep on living in your dream world buddy.

>>taking hours to install *any* linux distribution
2/10 made me reply.

it's not bait! a full gentoo install only takes about a single hour if you have a real cpu ;p

Attached: 1523512865605.png (423x384, 149K)

Multiple displays worked flawlessly on my machine.

Ubuntu mate worked quite well on my netbook with 1gb ram

You know nothing about *nixes because you are not in our secret club, dumb russian windows 7 user

Attached: 1522671656097.jpg (332x303, 58K)

but i just finished installing gentoo on my new laptop...
c-can i join the club please????

Attached: 1523458235066.png (1920x1080, 1.9M)

Only if you have the feminine benis

xubuntu or linux mint or meme-elementaryOS

i dont have any male reproductive organs :\

>whats the most lightweight linux distro for this old piece of shit?
Windows 7.

Gay.

i do happen to be a homosexual ~
here is one of my girlfriends :3

Attached: Mercy37.png (720x960, 340K)

op here, this!!!!!!!
>SIS MIRAGE 3
yeah there are no drivers what so ever available for this gpu!
this max resolution is 640x480 and i cant change it, already installed a bunch of distro recommendations that you guys gave me, but even with windows 7 there are no drivers what so ever, will try to install vista next

Lubuntu

best FM
best WM
most windows like

The answer is always LXDE

OpenBSD

I suggest Void Linux.