Now that Telegram has been blocked in Russia, what safe encrypted messenger alternatives are there?

Now that Telegram has been blocked in Russia, what safe encrypted messenger alternatives are there?

Attached: IMG_20180413_103358.jpg (1080x1423, 358K)

Other urls found in this thread:

conversations.im/compliance/
gnupg.org/
securemessagingapps.com/
decentralize.today/signal-secure-messengers-or-not-so-secure-part-2-43d8dac33943
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Signal, telegram is shit anyways

The obvious solution. It can't be banned duo to its federated nature, is encrypted and has clients for all platforms that matter. You can create an account on any server you want, you don't even need an email address.
Signal is a walled garden and should not be used

Attached: serveimage(2).png (1200x1234, 86K)

I thought xmpp was a music player?

>the state of Jow Forumsadgets

Just looked it up. I was thinking of XMMS. Easy mistake. Why do all Linux apps have these autistic-tier names?

Attached: xmms-benjamin_p_jung.png (128x128, 16K)

Riot DOT im, use it and encourage your friends to use it. Don't forget to make your room encrypted!!!!!!

Telegram was never secure.
Use Signal.

Signal is supposed to be the one yes

xmpp is platform independent you retarded shit. Also
>apps
do the us all a favour and fuck off to /v/

Why is signal not blocked?
:thinking:

>inb4 it's not secure

signal stills can fuck right off
It's centralised and us-based. Metadata can be harvested and datamined easily, the phone number link can be used to locate you. Don't use signal if you want a secure messenger

>thinks any messenger is secure

tox

add to that otr

>Schemidt

>telegram
>safe
Lmao

Signal uses Google's javascript on his website.

Fuck all the anons talking shit about telegram. Based Durov has been the only one to take the bullet on his biggest market just to stand for his principles.

Telegram security might be subpar but at least you know they won't sell you out like everyone else. I hope telegram implements and I'll make it my new main app.

How easy is it to run XMPP with OTR from a phone?

Good.
USA successfully fights with the technological advances of China (aka ban on Chinky phones), Russia protects itself against USA flooding the Russian market.

It's just 4 countries (including EU) fighting a huge battle royal, the only winners are consumers.

>implements e2e
Fuck me and my phone posting.

As easy as installing conversations, sign in to an account and start messaging. The otr protocol has been surpassed by omemo though.

Is it blocked yet?

Thanks

You shouldn't use the conversations.im server though, because they want a few after 6 months of use. Refer to this document to find a server to use (ideally an all-green one)
conversations.im/compliance/

Good thing almost no one uses Wire here, so chances if it getting blocked are slim.

Messenger

Banning Telegram isn't about trade war and it's not good for consumers. Putin wants to spy on everyone and Telegram won't let him. That's it.

>conversations.im/compliance/
Thanks again. Never heard of this and probably do not know anyone who would use it but its nice to tinker with something new anyway

gnupg.org/

Yes, I know it's not a messenger BUT the problem with all messengers is that it requires the other person to have it as well whereas with GnuPG you can use any messenger app you want, you just need to exchange public keys.

E2E is available with secret chats, the problem is that they use their homebrew protocol instead of a standard one, so the security is questionable anyway (although to my knowledge there has yet to be a fatal flaw found in their protocol).

securemessagingapps.com/
Signal, Threema or Wire

XMPP doesn't have this problem. In fact, there is a standardised xmpp extension that defines pgp integration for the protocol

See It passes with green or yellow for every point on that list, plus it's not centralised. It beats every app mentioned on the site

Riot is great but not for normies because the UI is shit and the encryption is not enabled by default.
Signal is great but requires a phone number (can't easily have multiple ID) and no desktop solution.
Wire is great for normies and the security is great.

If you need anonymity AND security, look for something else like Tox.

My point is that e2e should be on by default on all chats.
I explained myself poorly.

home-hosted irc over ssl

This seems pretty neat. I have it installed and have been doing some reading about it.
No-one to chat with though lol. Oh well it's there if I ever need it I guess

Telegram

>and no desktop solution
both Signal and Wire have an electron app

go away

And they will switch to the million other IM Apps that exist, so what?

You can install it for people, they won't complain when it's there and running. When you add your address to the "jabber" field in the instant messaging section in their contacts, your their picture of you will show up instead of the one you published to the network.

Wire client just werks. Signal's slave mode is awful. That's what I meant.

Thanks. It really looks good, but I am going to be hard pressed to get any of my friends to use it. They are all WhatsApp or FB Messenger-types

Why don't we just make encryption add ons for existing services, where we don't give away our keys or PI to these services? Encrypting a basic data or SMS message at rest should be simple enough. You can trades keys you generate on your own device with people in person or use public key crypto over your SMS/preferred data messaging channel. Then pipe the encrypted messages into your encryption add on. That way, you know anything sitting on the main server is intelligible garbage and eavesdroppers have multiple layers of encryption to break if they even want to attempt to read your messages (assuming your service handles encryption in transit). Plus itd be easy for normies to pick up.

Attached: tumblr_inline_p3qeykUJlF1v1q4op_500.jpg (500x472, 35K)

You have not seet the autistic music playing stack: mpd+mcpdmfiwkxdursursursurwursursutdtcyfjvkvydtwtdcpp
It's in every screenfetch thread

It already exists dumbfuck. It doesn't work and wont.

STOP POSTING THIS STUPID FUCKING WORM

Why doesn't it work?

That's cool.
If only I had someone to talk...

going long on this. still missing some updates to become normie friendly though but good enough so that its the first thing i recommend.

Y'all talk about security and encryption like you are giving away x-files.
Go talk to them if it is sensible information!

Otherwise use a messaging app that is good looking, easy to use, and has social features(like stickers and whatnot)

I prefer telegram because it's not owned by a major company, seems secure enough, and the guy that made it seem chill.

On all the alternatives you suggested I only see meaningless encryption, whereas if you really need to encrypt something build your own Software(app) it's like at most 30 lines of code(even on C++, with some libraries).

My normies need emoticons and I need to send a lot of stickers representing eggplants.

>signal
>just give us your phone number, goy

>My normies need emoticons and I need to send a lot of stickers representing eggplants.
Use Wire

Is English not your first language?

Anyways, it's often not possible to talk to people in person. My friend group is spread across the US and Europe. For very secure communications, Mumble provides an encrypted voice/text chat.

For non sensitive bullshit with normies, it's easiest to just use facebook.

>Now that Telegram has been blocked in Russia, what safe encrypted messenger alternatives are there?
Are you trying to imply that Telegram not doxing their users makes it unsafe? It shows quite the opposite actually, Ruskies want full control over everything just like Chinks. About time that somebody showed them middle finger.

>I'm so fucking stupid I don't know how to use land-line or burner SIM.
Stop being dumb, you are making it easy for kikes.

The Signal algorithm is secure, why don't people just implement that into a decentralized service?

Signal is decentralized, disregard that memester. It's main principle is about that for fucks sake. Same applies to the metadata.

Sometimes I don't know if people here are actually this stupid or just shilling.

Wire

If you don't mind it is not open source.

>Observing that Russia has banned Telegram for refusing to turn encryption keys over to the FSB
>Interpreting this as anything other than positive validation for Telegram

Telegram isn't perfect, but this is literally the opposite of a reason not to use it.

Yes, wire is normie friendly. My friends love it.

It is.

At the best only partially. And I'm being kind here.

Yes it is.

Just encrypt .txt files with veracrypt and exchange them per email

>just use a burner bro, you can buy them anonymously in MY country, it works for me

Plain text by default. Everything that can be good with it is an extension, poorly supported and easy to mess up. It is a bad choice and you shouldn't recommend it. Nostalgia is no substitute for quality.

>your friends

Jow Forums humor is best humor.

Signal is shit, xmpp is king
decentralize.today/signal-secure-messengers-or-not-so-secure-part-2-43d8dac33943

The double ratchet algorithm used by signal is implemented in an xmpp extension named omemo. It's exactly as secure, only federated to add an additional layer of privacy

Conversations uses omemo by default for all chats. It's getting adopted by more and more clients

I find wire pretty comfy.

It's very user friendly, doesn't _require_ mobile number, has really good audio quality and is open source.

I downloaded conversations and saw that I have to pay to sign up for an account.

Is that the case for all XMPP servers? Are free ones as secure?

I assume OP lives in Russia?

If not he is an idiot, yes.
Telegram just proved not to cave in to governments.

The server can't see shit. You can choose a severe from the list another user posted, see

Why is half of Jow Forums not working? I read something on Twitter about France knocking out Cloudflare because of elections or some shit... is that true? How the fuck can they do that?

Yes, they're usually free. The developer of conversations happens to be a jew for some reason

I don't trust Telegram and Durov in particular.

All the Russian government channels were filled with information about how secure telegram is and how FSB doesn't want you to use it. Even papers printed this.

Then same channels said that circumventing the resection is very easy and explained how to do that.

Feels like a ploy to make people use messenger they can actually monitor and everything is just a show.

I mean there is still working fine despite apparent "blocking".

>I mean there is still working fine despite apparent "blocking".

Are you in Russia?

It's only blocked in Russia, and since Telegram isn't based in Russia it should work fine in the rest of the world.

I'm not personally.
People on Russian imageboards say that everything works.

Thanks anons.

Telegram is entirely Russian my brainlet Jow Forumsfag
If they can ban the most successful one blanket banning everything else becomes a real possibility
Silence it's out there and mostly just works, but metadata is a thing senpai

More importantly, why is there a burning black guy with a mask running? Masks don't protect against fires, silly black guy.

people still use telegram?
I thought it stopped over 50 years ago

It's your fault you live in a police failed state. Also it is still easily doable, you are just lazy and dumb.

You colossal fucktard. You didn't even read that article, did you? Direct quote:
>"If you are using iOS or Android, Signal is a hard to beat, killer app when it comes to privacy. The chat and group chat features are working just as advertised and it’s pure end-to-end, own-device encrypted. With a call function which is second to none, Signal is a perfect solution when it comes to privacy."
Why the fuck would you do this? To look like you know about stuff on anonymous cantonese insect cooking forum?

Attached: marines.jpg (319x326, 14K)

>ios
wow, it's fucking nothing. Besides that, xmpp works just as good with the same set of features while shill not locking into yet another walled garden

>Walled garden
Stop using big boy words. You don't even know what that means. And just stop in general. You already shown how fucking retarded you are.

>xmpp works just as good
fuck no

t. nsa

I'm amazed how are you able to even breath while being this fucking dumb.
>"NSA deemed Signal's encrypted voice calling component (RedPhone) on its own as a "major threat" to its mission, and when used in conjunction with other privacy tools such as Cspace, Tor, Tails, and TrueCrypt was ranked as "catastrophic", leading to a "near-total loss/lack of insight to target communications, presence..."

How many encrypted Emails do you get a day?
Just because we can do it doesn't mean we do, even if it's made easy.

>tfw Telegram and Messenger are both botnets but I like Telegram's features
Telegram is one of my favourite messengers by features alone, like custom stickers, though the security isn't great; I mostly use it with my normie family, and I use other methods (IRC, PGP email, etc.) for more secure stuff

Honestly if we have that information then that's information the NSA it's comfortable releasing. Which means it can't REALLY be that detrimental.

It's from leaks.