Why would they still install mechanical meters in a relatively new substation? Why not just full digital?

Why would they still install mechanical meters in a relatively new substation? Why not just full digital?

Attached: DSC_2404-min.jpg (5504x3096, 1.26M)

Probably have a deal with the manufacturers of the mechanical ones.

4-20 mA user.

There is a main digital system, a backup digital system, and a fucking secondary backup digital system before all these mechanical meters. And the meters are locked behind two doors, last access dated two years ago for maintenance only. Now I start to think if this is a legal requirement.

EMP defense. look it up

These ain't for mA tier user.

Attached: DSC_2419-min.jpg (5504x3096, 1.35M)

Mechanical meters have over a century of proven tech behind them. Dropping that out entirely in favor of a much more fragile technology would be nuts.

So what comms protocol are you using user? Modbus?

What is modbus?

Probably because mechanical meters have a much longer life than a digital one.

Communication Protocol user. One way to get different devices from different manufacturers to talk to each other.

Don't know that shit. I am just a wage slave doing "maintenance".
They have a schedule for maintenance for every single equipment in the substation. Let say equipment A is scheduled today, then I would first test the A's reserve, if it's ok, then I switch A to it's reserve. Breaks A apart, clean, test, reinstall, test again, switch back to A, end of the day. And that's why I asked the question, literally no one cares about the mechanical meters except that they were on the schedule book and I have to maintain it once in two years.

How do I get into utilities/infrastructure? How's the pay?

Would actually make sense.

Seems like they'd be less sensitive to EMC than anything digital?

why change something that works, you change to digital because it's more convenient, if this factor is irrelevant then why change?

Redundancy.

Fair enough. Out of curiosity does the plant have any sensors? If a sensor is broken I'm guessing you are shutting down that portion of the equipment the sensor is located to to do a swap then have some contract guys recalibrate/fix the busted sensor?

Why would an electromagnetic needle be less sensitive?

Digital meters aren't accurate.
They're designed to save the electric companies money on staff, not provide accurate readings.
They always err on the side of the electric company.

(Decent) digital meters are for more accurate

It's the carpooling arrangement 4chin mods have to get to work at Langley on time every morning.

I'll bite.
>The virgin digital meter
>Electrically isolated so all electronics don't get zapped by stray voltage and die
>Needs a dedicated 24v power supply or battery
>Rated IP68 but still gets electronics wet and dying
>Flavor of the month sensor designed by soy boys did not consider real life conditions into your design

>The chad mechanical meter
>Body of steel
>No fancy electronics to measure stuff
>Doesn't care about getting wet
>All the electricity it will ever need is the sensor data in electrical format
>Reliable
>Old design that has withstood the test of time

You realize a high altitude Nuclear detonation, which is the most likely attack, would destroy transmission lines and entire stations right? I think (You) need to do some reading.