Why would i need a macbook air laptop as a programer when i can get a high end laptop using linux for the same price?

Why would i need a macbook air laptop as a programer when i can get a high end laptop using linux for the same price?

Attached: apple.jpg (580x241, 14K)

Because your gay hipster friends have one, too.

Attached: IMG_20180414_110741.png (600x278, 234K)

literally no one buys a MBA anymore, except whales who like to burn money

The only reason to prefer apple over linux is if you're some kind of creator (designer/video editor etc) otherwise I don't get it

Or XCode

I hate loonix and macOS is UNIX-y enough for me, and Homebrew gets me most of the loonix programs I could ever need.

macs good for making apple apps and development for all apple products. linux to make everything ever. plus u can run a vm with macOS any day of the year lmao. mac is the biggest overated trash of all time.

Because it's comfy to use. Just install loonix or use a VM ffs

Honestly, people get shit on for owning one. It's not a look you want to have in this day and age.

actually in my country and town maybe seeing someone with a macbook is a show of wealth and shit. just like an expensive watch. its unique cuz a new one cost a lot of money so. maybe its just for the show really

WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T THIS HAVE A FUCKING DEL KEY REEEEEEEEEE

Even in the states it's alot of signaling too. It's the cool gadget to own and is way more expensive than a Windows machine, so people can show off they can afford those things.

it proves how stupid people are. the same price i can get a high end laptop far better cpu ssd and specs a mac has yet it wont be seen as a cool shit to have. i guess apple is just an icon in general. owning their products is just for the shit show. you get noting more for paying more for their shitty products.

I have been using linux for 10years and pic related is my expresion still sometimes.
I'm fine fixing stuff or making it work, but I can imagine sometimes people just want something stablished and that works.

Attached: 1523679077378.png (500x478, 114K)

1) can't make mac programs without a mac
2) can't make ios apps without a mac
3) using a hackintosh voids apple dev licence
4) exceptional battery life and premium feeling hardware
5) tech support is unmatched
6) just works

You pay a premium for having a good OS and no bloatware installed by default.

And not having your personal information sold to the highest bidder

hate to admit but is right

>macbook
>as a programer

Attached: c6dd993f.jpg (2296x2296, 320K)

Attached: torvalds.jpg (619x442, 47K)

lol, no. wealthy people buy expensive cars and villas, not overpriced plastic toys.

>plastic
Have you ever actually come in contact with a Macbook?

Attached: 1500729130597.png (900x810, 289K)

Yes, and they don't feel special at all for the amount of price you pay.

Im a cnc / cam guy and use mine for real work making stuff.... because its generally great hardware and if you cant install a linux live usb stick and run windows in a vm you are a failure as a human being

t. kiss my engineer ass faggot

Attached: IMG_5439.jpg (2448x2448, 1.37M)

would try to spring for a pro if u can. but if not nbd. apple hardware is pretty based. i used linux for about 3 years. you're never gonna get a perfect linux experience because there's hardly any attempt being made by anybody to ensure the os works perfectly with the hardware it runs on. apple offers a lot of the same benefits for every day use that linux will, but its track pad is class and it's pretty stable.

Then you know they're made of metal so why lie?

The same reason you get a $300 tshirt,
to differentiate yourself from the plebs who can't afford it

Looks like it's been... deleted.

Attached: Naamloos-2.png (350x350, 138K)

So that it works well with your iPhone

>1) can't make mac programs without a mac
>2) can't make ios apps without a mac
>3) using a hackintosh voids apple dev licence

Apple actually cuck you into paying them 1,000s, before they let you start making them even more money.

How do people defend this shit.

Apple abandoned the MBA, wouldn't buy it anymore.
The 12" MB and MBP however are pretty good.
macOS is a decent operating system, unix like workflow and, unironically, compared to GNU/Linux it just works.
Add to that the build quality, input devices and screen just makes a really nice overall user experience.
Thats something most Jow Forumsentoomen don't take into consideration, yes if you just look at hardware specs and benchmarks macbooks don't have a great price to performance ratio, but the overall user experience is pretty damn good.

I used linux for a long time as my main OS, since I got a macbook I just run it in VMs and on servers.

As someone who got his macbook air for free. 2013 model. The build quality, trackpad and battery time is great, just install whatever os you want. The thinkpad meme is ok if your broke i guess.

Tim plz go

Any king of high end laptop would cost way more, there really isn't anything quite like the air in that price range.

Yes because cpu and ssd specs are the most important things in a laptop. Do you even have any idea what people use those "laptop" things for, like outside of their homes and shit?

>get a high end laptop using linux for the same price?
NAME ONE!?!

I'll even pay more!!

Attached: insomnia.jpg (500x281, 47K)

hahaha even the shitty chinese laptops from aliexpress that cost 500$ have better specs than a shitty macbook air from 2017 that cost 1500$ or something. get out

Real reason: most "programmers" are too brainlet to install Linux.
All they can do is copy-paste from stack overflow.

Just buy an used Mac Mini.

X1 Carbon 6, unironically. Possibly also XPS 13/15, but those have slightly worse QC.

The high end laptop with linux in question is in fact, a Macbook Air. (but it sux, save some money and buy a Pro or regular)

see

You wouldn't get a MacBook. You'd get a MacBook because Linux is shit and OS X actually works.

>good OS
false
>no bloatware installed by default
hugely false
>And not having your personal information sold to the highest bidder
high probability of being false

sorry to break it to you but turns out you don't know shit ;)

>false
false
>hugely false
less bloatware than most of the big linux distros and way less than windows
>high probability of being false
Apple is probably the most privacy respecting big tech company.

>less bloatware
bloatware nonetheless
>Apple is probably the most privacy respecting big tech company.
prove it, packet sniffers show that macos is calling home all the time, cloud even you dont use it, possibly keystrokes, etc

Because Linux is shit.

>X1 Carbon 6, unironically. Possibly also XPS 13/15, but those have slightly worse QC.
Which DISTRO?

Attached: Narada_found_Vishnu_as_macroform.jpg (1024x1395, 402K)

are you saying you would buy a laptop for the gpu? its obvious ssd and cpu the things you buying it for and thats it. paying 1000$ for those two things aint worth it. let alone macos is shit when it comes to security. last month there was like a flaw where u could log in to any user with like admin/12345 kiddie methot. shows you how fucking obvious some mistakes of their security are

or if you just don't like spending hours and hours just looking after the damn thing and performing maintenance and compiling shit.

because you can just hold fn and backspace.

CMD-Copy CMD-Paste is the only thing you need to know.

I don't know about the US but here in europe those are not at all in the same price range as the air.

That's not at all what people use laptops for, dummy.

Linux just doesn't have a good enough UX to be a decent desktop OS

If you use a distro like kali linux, I guess, but there are few distros (and all of them are not for end users) where you'd have to do that for any aplication.

There isn't a legitimate reason to use Linux.

Attached: unimpressed.png (429x410, 4K)

>Linux doesn't a good enough UX
Linux is the kernel, there are tons of very intuitive and beautiful Graphical Interfaces available out there, Microsoft based themselves on KDE for their newer versions of windows, Cinnamon is just as easy if not even more so to use if compared to the other two OSs in the market. Seriously, it sounds your only experience with linux was with Ubuntu back when they still used Unity.

>Implying apple doesn't sell your data
Oh how foolish

Because MacOS is a hundred times better than Linux?

>Less bloatware than most popular linux distros
Difference is that Linux's bloatware are a couple of free software that aren't botnet and have some kind of utility

Also in the netsec we all run osx as a joke, it's not like it's the only one suitable for most threat models or anything like that!

>Linux is the kernel
Stop being pedantic you fucking freetard
> there are tons of very intuitive and beautiful Graphical Interfaces available out there
There is much more to the user experience than the DE.
>Microsoft based themselves on KDE for their newer versions of windows
The difference is that microsofts implementation is stable while KDE crashes on you ever 5 minutes
>Seriously, it sounds your only experience with linux was with Ubuntu back when they still used Unity.
I used linux as my main OS for a couple of years, switched to macOS and only run it in VMs and servers now.

The biggest strength is also the biggest weakness of linux. Everything is so fragmented, there is no consistency.
In addition to that mundane tasks like installing a printer are so tedious, no one but hobbyists want to deal with stuff like that.

>i can get a high end laptop using linux for the same price
No you can't.

what's stopping him?

You can't really get a better laptop for the same price. People mentioned XPS 13 or new X1 Carbon, but those are both more expensive and potentially not even better.

Best you can do is get something 20% worse for 50% lower price.

(inb4 some 5kg Alienware tier garbage)

>XPS 13 or new X1 Carbon
>5kg
soyim

>he never worked a job where he has to carry a laptop on his shoulder all day long
fucking NEET's

>"high end"

because all PC laptops have shit build quality.

>linux

just admit your time is fucking worthless. gb2 your fucking python tutorials you scrub

whose money you spend buying a macbook to show how cool you are and call yourself a programmer opening the terminal you fucking moron haha

Is this "apple hate" thing done ironically? I don't get it.
I use Windows, but Macs seem like pretty decent computers for most use cases.

Windows is getting more and more botnet/adware and desktop Linux is a bit of a joke. I can totally see why someone would buy a Mac nowadays.

A lot of tech savvy people have really strong opinions about apple. They either hate it or love it.
Don't listen to either of those view points, form your own opinion.

Apple products do have their issues, there is no denying that. They've had overheating issues with their laptops, they have made questionable design choices. And they are by no means cheap.
But no one can deny that the overall user experience (hardware and software) is pretty great.

It's free as in freedom, and free as in free beer.
There isn't a legitimate reason to use anything else.

>Apple actually cuck you into paying them 1,000s, before they let you start making them even more money.
Apple created the platform where I can make money, you sperg, why shouldn't they try to sell me their stuff?

>Is this "apple hate" thing done ironically? I don't get it.
I think that it is. Apple is since the iPhone
muh normalfag
muh thousanddollar facebook machine
etc.

I just got a MB Pro and that shit is actuall pretty fucking good. Maybe I have some Battery issues, because this shit when I shut it down sometimes have 20-30% less battery and sometimes donĀ“t. The usb-c shit is definetly stupid as hell, but also future proof.

I've used Linux for over 10 years. It's good. I bought my first Mac around 4 years ago. In the time I've owned a Mac, I've never had a single component on the OS break so suddenly and completely that it kept me from using the computer, which I have with Linux several times. There is only so much time in a day and when you need to get shit done, having to take a couple hours to Google track down some random problem is a killer.

and linus torvalds as well

>There isn't a legitimate reason to use anything else.
What if you need to do something that the Linux ecosystem does not have? We're not all NEETs you know and sometimes a job will require the use of proprietary tools.

>full metal construction
>no unsightly gaps
>don't bend or creek when you pick them up
>tight display hinge that has held up for years
>beautiful high-DPI displays
>backlit keys
>glorious glass trackpad
>paid $1300 USD for it

>don't feel special at all
I disagree.

You'll waste a bunch of time on Linux care and feeding. While OS X has 98% of the same functionality with much less tinkering. Also, Photoshop and office work without wasting time tinkering with wine.

Same I like my laptops to have battery life.

Progging requires absolute minimum of power and ultrabooks are pretty attractive in terms of everything except power and price

You don't.
Few years back a macbook pro was pretty good and quiet compared to other laptops in the market (no matter what OS you chose to use). But now days, even the diehard applefags are mad about dongle pro.

Donglebook pro made me switch to Linux.

>full metal construction
chink laptops do that
>tight display hinge that has held up for years
>don't bend or creek when you pick them up
everything will hold up if you take good care of it
>backlit keys
lol, he doesn't touch type
>beautiful high DPI displays
chink laptops come in 1080p variants these days
>glass trackpad
which isn't response most of the time and doesn't have right click button
>paid $1300 for it
>feel special
well, if you pay 1300 bucks for a turd it will feel special.

I'll never understand the dongle hate. who are these idiots that need to plug 5 things into their laptops at once? doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of trying to use something that is supposed to be portable?

>tinkering with wine
Wine is shit. I rather use a VM than install that pile of shit on my computer.

Also, since i learn how to use and colab with google docs, never went back to MS office or libre office (another pile of trash if you ask me)

Well if I'm at home and I want to transfer things from one USB drive to another while using a wired mouse and keyboard and having my laptop charging at the same time, I'd like to be able to do so. Laptops aren't tablets.

>programmer

Attached: acer-r11.png (1026x745, 308K)

Macbook pro was made for a specificity type of professional. The one who uses one or more monitors, keyboard, precision mouse and some time other things to work (like draw tablets).
Is not my case because i am just a sysadmin, but even I can see that apple shit down the throat of their most important user group.

Attached: 1518182319300.jpg (600x719, 86K)

>chrome book
why is this still a thing?

Let's be honest and stop bullshitting.
MacBooks are the best machines for programming; Unix on a perfect hardware and sleek design.

>chink laptops do that
Because Apple did it first

>everything will hold up if you take good care of it
I haven't babied it at all. It's been treated as roughly as any other laptop I've owned and still held up much better.

>he doesn't touch type
I do touch type but it's a nice touch (lol) to have on a laptop and it's yet another thing to Apple did first

>chink laptops come in 1080p variants these days
1080p sucks, 16:9 sucks in general and it's still not as good as high res 16:10. HighDPI is a thing generally because Apple did it and did it well. I know there were laptops like the T61p but

>which isn't response most of the time and doesn't have a right click button
It responds just fine for me and double tap to right click also works fine for me. I also use tap-to-click on single clicks and prefer it over the nipple+2button setup on my Thinkpad (T420) which I typically use a mouse with because that nipple is hard on the finger after a short while

>paid $1300 for it
>feel special
It's not a turd and $1300 really isn't a lot of money. I paid that for an emachines back in 1999 and it was a complete piece of shit.

Some people are poor.

>no package managers
>implying "sleek design" is a necessary part of programming

You are sort of confirming my point, you are at home (portability not needed) and wanting to use a wired mouse and keyboard with 2 usb sticks, why not just use a desktop or a dock for your laptop?

>one or more monitors, keyboard, precision mouse and some time other things
This use case does not require portability either and could be handled easily with a dock or desktop.

What if the guy just want have one computer and be able to take his computer to the client in order to show something like a brief.
I have a couple of friends who are into design (yes, they are a gay couple. The meme is real) and work in different places is a must for them. Apparently, not everyone just sit in a quiet place, put a headphones and start to type.

>using a USB drive
>2018
>using a wired keyboard
>2018
>using a wired mouse
>2018
>buying a laptop whose keyboard and trackpad you would rather not use
>HURRRRRRRRRR

not everyone is a fucking moron like you

>some people are poor
used laptops exist

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.