So, because reasons I'm going to be forced to work on a thinkpad t41 for a couple weeks

So, because reasons I'm going to be forced to work on a thinkpad t41 for a couple weeks
I only need to use office shit
would I be better with XP or W98 for perfomance/using a external monitor and keyboard with it porposes?
Can I even reliably use a web broser there?

Attached: stuff.jpg (800x600, 97K)

Attached: 1514025297931.jpg (620x470, 53K)

Linux, idiot

please use GAHNOO PLUSS LANOOKKS

>XDDDD USE OFFFICEE ON LINUX XDDD

use ME

Unironically all the open source offices are more capable than the ms offices of 1990s

Yeah let me tell to mo coworkers that needed a fucking month to elarn how to use outlook to install libre office or learn to use latex

Make your own WinXP slipstreamed OS.
Install it.

> Or Lubuntu + Wine

It'll definitely be usable, other than the harddrive and battery being bust by now.

Use WindowsXP+Office 2007 (You can't use 2003 or earlier as it doesn't support .docx files)

What? You just save it in .doc or .docx retard

Neither are acceptable from a security p.o.v.
Unless you never connect it to the internet.

Windows 7 if you absolutely must use MS Office.

why are people acting as if this is super ancient or something?

I have a t40 that works just fine. I picked it up from an ewaste drive and fixed it up. surprisingly the HDD works great. battery will last 5 hours, about. less usually under load.

I installed a fresh copy of XP. Don't do 98, it won't be compatible with modern shit, since modern windows is still NT, which XP is too.

Mine has 1GB RAM and works fine. you will have to scrounge around online for drivers which will take a few hours. most important is the VGA display drivers and other graphics drivers. I had forgotten to install those and had problems simply scrolling a document. With the drivers I can play 720p videos just fine on it using VLC. I use it almost daily for my calendar software and sync it to my Sony handheld ( pretty comfy tbqh).

I recommend you install XP and MS office if you can. if not, use Libreoffice. it works fine as well. Make sure you grab all the drivers you can and install them. Pale Moon works well for a browser, better than firefox in my experience. Winamp of course for music if you need that, VLC for videos. Don't know if you need that capabilty for work though. Libreoffice for office stuff. works great for me. good luck lad

why do they need to know that? just save as docx or whatever standard office format

You can install the 2007 compatibility pack with 2003 and it will open and save docx (and xlsx, etc.) fine.

>you will have to scrounge around online for drivers

pwned

>98 on a fucking T4x
ow the underage
run XP with a contemporary stack or GNU/Linux with a bloated modern stack, either works
t. CS undergrad who used Writer for an assignment once or twice in freshman year
libre's pretty much an office 97 clone with a glossy skin that makes it look like indian malware, does calc even have competent conditional formatting yet?
getting drivers for ThinkPads are utterly trivial
it's just figuring out what specific configuration you have to choose the right ones

XP.
Theres very limited 98 compatible drivers from IBM for the 4x series.
You can use a web browser just fine on a pentium m, i would try and maxed to 2gb of ram first.
I used to shitpost all the time from a T42

>because reasons I'm going to be forced to work on a thinkpad t41 for a couple weeks

yea you're full of shit. Nobody is FORCED to work with a 15 year old laptop. And if they were, they would not give you freedom of choice about it's software because it would defeat the purpose.

If this """""""""""""reason"""""""""""""" if you being dirt poor, get a x201 for next to no money (I got one for 50 bucks a few weeks ago) or a core i3 x131e for a bit more and enjoy.

POSReady 2009 with security updates or a lightweight Linux distro would work well.

specs?

Calc has better equation capability than Microsoft has ever had. Same with Google. Ms is shit