What are the implications of Apple moving to ARM?

What are the implications of Apple moving to ARM?
>MacBook Pro with 72 hour batterylife!
>Write code once, it just works (on macOS and iOS)
Normies would eat that shit up, but how would you solve the software problem? Everything macOS is x86 since 2006
Pic unrelated

Attached: 132225634322.jpg (800x479, 68K)

Apple had been developing x86 Mac OS for years before they made the switch. If Cock is as smart as people believe the project should already be well underway.

>Everything macOS is x86 since 2006
Majority of macOS users only tend to use social media programs on their machines from my experience. Problems would arise when you'd need to port Photoshop or something like that to ARM based machines. Once they do that, there's absolutely nothing stopping them from making ARM based macs exclusively.

ARM based devices would probably only apply to particular families of products.

Mac Pro and iMac keeps x86.

MBP runs ARM with an x86 compatibility layer to ease development.

MBA and regular Macbook go full ARM without the compatibility layer.

Slow as first MacBook Air.
Apple will release benchmark about begin best that Intel, but begin really trick benchmark.

Hello Zhang.

Applel is greedy company..

I didn't think they gonna spend another 2-3 billion each year RnD for high powerful chip for 10% revenue on Mac lineup..

They just gonna buy bulk from intel with discount

iPads are a dying market, iPhones are too cumbersome.

Merging the iPad and Mac ecosystems together means they rejuvenate the iPad market and consolidate most of their efforts onto one platform. For Apple, and Apple specific products, it saves them money, and generates a huge revenue stream.

laptops end up being rebought every year they announce a new A15 and A15X arm chip, just like phones and tablets...

Apple moves more units, for cheaper, and maintains full control. The rest of the devs either stick with the platform to keep their app presence for shit like Twitter, Instagram, etc... or get burned.

It’s not really even a choice at this point.

Just compile again?
There is nothing to port, don't tell me Photoshop is written directly in assembly

arm doesn't magically boost battery life.
they achieve this by being shit slow with low tdp.

that's gonna fail like windows rt.

>arm doesn't magically boost battery life.
it does though

when PPC2Intel happened, Apple didn't even tell Adobe beforehand despite being butt buddies since the 80s
Adobe had to work overtime to make everything work so they could release universal binaries and please their applel overlords. And they fucking did it. It'll happen again.

Apple will never release anything directly incompatible.
The whole "eet just werkz" selling point was that any and all x86 macOS software will work on any subsequent x86 macOS hardware. They even supported PPC through rosetta for absolute compatibility

Arm proc can replace macbook but not imac and mac pro....

iMac and macpro need quad core high performance processor.. which is not mobile processor..

Devs will have to make an ARM version of their applications.

there's a video on YouTube that shows Photoshop running on Windows 10 with an ARM processor, it's a 64bit program but windows was running it through some emulation magic so I guess apple can do the same thing with their OS.

Is Jow Forums really too young to remember the PPC-Intel transition or the 68k-PPC transition before it? Apple's done this shit forever, it's the least of their worries.

The Power Mac G5 I'm posting this from can run shit unmodified from as far back as the Mac Plus era. Having complete control over both the hardware and software of your platform is a hell of a drug.

rt didn't have x86 compatibility

>unironically using a furnace that's outperformed by a mac fucking mini

Runs the shit I want to run on it fine and looks great while it does it, couldn't give less of a fuck otherwise.

How can you afford the electricity it consumes?

By not living in a shithole that charges you ten dollars per kilowatt hour plus carbon tax.

Or, you know, just force Adobe to release ARM versions?
Tbh they don't even need to "force" them, Adobe will do it either way

Even the liquid cooled 2.5+ GHz models cost like $15-$25 monthly to run, and that's if you're consistently loading them 24/7.

How poor do you have to be to gawk and screech at the price of a dinner for two at a mediocre chain restaurant?

>How poor do you have to be to gawk and screech at the price of a dinner for two at a mediocre chain restaurant?
buyfag

certainly no more than a coffee a day at one of these nice coffee places.

>macshit
>batterylife
FagOS is fucking dumpster fire.

Attached: 1522337304404.jpg (1290x1645, 498K)

What are you talking about. So many developers use macs.

>fart app maker
>""""developers"""

Not the majority of mac users are devs, though. Again, I can only speak from my experience. I assume that this preference depends on localization greatly. In eastern bloc nobody uses mac for something other that web development and design.

>Everything macOS is x86 since 2006
You realize it's just a matter of compiling it for a specific platform? They have the source code you know.

They have also been developing OS X/macOS for ARM for over ten years now with iPhones and iPads.

> In eastern bloc nobody uses mac for something other that web development and design.
This, everyone at the local art academy (which also hosts a mac store) has one, so does everyone who calls themselves a designer in any capacity. You're virtually guaranteed to find mac folders if a designer sends you over some files. Absolutely no one else does.

I dont think they will be moving to ARM any time soon. They are phasing out (full) 32-bit support soon though.
Honestly they should revive the iBook name and have a surfacebook clone that runs iOS, basically a 12" iPad with a hinge.

>somebody gets desktop linux to run on ARM
>no one cares

>microsoft gets ARM version of windows with full x86 emulation/compatibility to run on SD835 devices with actual hardware available to purchase within a month
>a few people clap

>some no source rumor states apple will copy linux/ms and also make their desktop os for ARM
>mactoddler pajeets shit their streets and claim it will be the second coming of christ

Attached: 37kaboo22dq01.jpg (1440x1080, 90K)

wouldn't that incur in an obvious performance drop? Now applefags wouldn't care about performance, but if it's slower than a previous fagbook, that would be noticeable

>somebody gets desktop linux to run on ARM
>no one cares
It’s a fucking mess, so no.

>microsoft gets ARM version of windows with full x86 emulation/compatibility to run on SD835 devices with actual hardware available to purchase within a month
>a few people clap
I thought they had to drop emulation, was I wrong? Also micro$haft eeeeeewwwwww

>some no source rumor states apple will copy linux/ms and also make their desktop os for ARM
>mactoddler pajeets shit their streets and claim it will be the second coming of christ
>pajeet
>mactoddler

There would be a performance drop, but it would probably get (somewhat) patched through software updates. Hopefully they can do it better than microsoft has so far. Just look at the asus novago:

>worse performance than a fucking celeron n series
>12 hrs battery compared to 24 claimed, even worse with constant LTE radios running
>retarded pricing

I was hoping for a rebirth of netbooks but I guess not

>They have the source code you know.
I meant third party developers

for Macs the performance drop would be pretty bad, going from Xeons to something ARM sounds like a big drop, even the tech illiterates who buy apple devices would see pretty clearly how the iMac 2019 would be a slow mess compared to the 2017 one, I don't buy this apple is going full ARM thing

ITT: hardware brainlets who think ISA has any effect on performance.

Apple can develop their own from-scratch ARM cores with whatever power budget they want and they will bear no resemblance to whatever slow ARM IP core is running in your android phone.

Everyone's favorite developer tools don't work
There's no ARM version of

Atom
VSCode
Eclipse
IntelliJ

Not that Apple cares about developers anymore though. They might not even port XCode.

>Atom
>VSCode
>Eclipse
>IntelliJ
These are all trash

It has a huge effect on performance. Most obviously, if your software isn't compiled for an architecture, it either can't run or has to be emulated with a performance penalty. Plus, x86 ISA for desktop OSes has so much investment, so many years of optimizations and accelerations and special instructions for particular use cases built in, that there's no way any other ISA could beat it without many many years of development.

Since I don't like it, it is trash